Singer Aretha Franklin, aged 76, has passed away

Aretha Franklin: Lifelong commitment to Detroit

...It is because of her generous support of the city that The Detroit News is awarding Franklin with the first Lifetime Achievement Award. She was named a Michiganian of the Year in 2003...
Aretha is truly the Queen of Soul! I'm so sorry to hear that she's ill - 76 isn't very old.

I grew up near Detroit in the Motown Era and was privileged to see many of the icons live, including Aretha. While I was more into Psychedelic rock (yes, I'm old) as far as I'm concerned none of the other "mod" rock groups could hold a candle to the Motown sound!

At my granddaughter's bar mitzvah the DJ asked what music we wanted when going up for the candle lighting ceremony. I asked for Rock Steady. The guests went wild!

Sending all my thoughts to Aretha and her family.

Aretha is truly the Queen of Soul! I'm so sorry to hear that she's ill - 76 isn't very old.

I grew up near Detroit in the Motown Era and was privileged to see many of the icons live, including Aretha. While I was more into Psychedelic rock (yes, I'm old) as far as I'm concerned none of the other "mod" rock groups could hold a candle to the Motown sound!

At my granddaughter's bar mitzvah the DJ asked what music we wanted when going up for the candle lighting ceremony. I asked for Rock Steady. The guests went wild!

Sending all my thoughts to Aretha and her family.

Motown born and bred. DH and I met while working for the City during the "infamous" summer of 1967.

Aretha Franklin Is In Hospice Care, Source Says

I suspect that Aretha has been seriously ailing for some time, but her family and friends chose to keep the illness private. Reports yesterday indicated that Franklin was in a Detroit hospital or resting comfortably at home with family and friends visiting. This morning's report suggests that Ms. Franklin is receiving in-home hospice care. Thoughts and prayers continue for Ms. Franklin and her loved ones.

I enjoyed a local feature story vocal coach Mary Callaghan Lynch, formerly with Michigan Opera Theatre, who worked with Aretha Franklin who wanted to sing famous opera arias. Ms. Franklin performs "Nessun Dorma" from Turandot:

Bravo!!!

I knew you'd be keeping things moving in here, BDE, with the latest news and special tidbits - Very special lady indeed, very sad... though this is part of living, it is still very sad... Thanks everyone for all the great posts. Not much else to say...

INSTEAD, LET'S ALL SING!!!!!! In celebration of this beautiful and talented soul!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back