Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell dead at 52 (wrongful death charges against Dr. Robert Koblin) 2017

I think you're mistaken, Hiandmighty. He didn't have lethal doses in in system. The drugs didn't kill him. But he did have a lot of them in his system, including "abuse levels."

From Rolling Stone:

Additionally, seven different drugs were found in Cornell's post mortem toxicology report, including a significant dose of the anxiety medicine Ativan. However, it is the medical examiner's opinion that "these drugs did not contribute to the cause of death."
The drugs found in Cornell's system were "butalbital, lorazepam, pseudoephedrine and its metabolite norpseudoephedrine, caffeine, and naloxone." The caffeine came from No-Doz tablets the singer ingested prior to his death, while the pseudoephedrine was employed as a decongestant.
Other prescription drugs included the sedative Butalbital, Narcan ("a narcotic antagonist") and four doses of Lorazepam, which is known as the anxiety medication Ativan.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chris-cornell-autopsy-and-toxicology-report-released-w484309

He didn't have abuse levels of the drug in his body though..

:bump: People suffer from depression like any other disease. To deny that Chris didn't feel any depression, none, seems preposterous. It sends the wrong message for his wife to start calling him "drug addicted" now when he actually stayed away from hard drugs for years. Why does she need to deny his depression? It doesn't necessarily have to reflect on their marriage being unhappy. Chris himself mentioned "internalizing emotions", so it's no wonder if he kept his depression hidden. I hope she encourages her own children to talk when they're feeling dark emotions.

Talk to someone and save your life.

Please know that I feel sorry for the whole family dealing with such a tragic loss. It's just that it might've been a quiet, dark depression too, not just Ativan.

I hope I'm not coming across as though I'm dismissing the fact that people do become addicted to benzos and that they can have strange effects on one's thinking. Actually, I was shocked at how my doctors and insurances had no problem giving me too many benzos to sleep or stay calm. It'd be easy to rely on them if I had the added pressure to get up on a stage. It seemed like something was bothering him for awhile and it was noticeable.

Chris didn't die from the drugs though, so a sincere conversation about hidden depression and suicide prevention is equally important, IMO.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
1-800-273-talk (8255)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_benzodiazepines

:cow: All my own thoughts and opinions.

I haven't gotten the impression that Chris' wife Vicky denies there was no depression whatsoever. It just wasn't the depression she had seen before in her husband, imho.

In medical terms, the general philosophy is that addiction is a disease, often a lifelong one, and progressive ... and terminal without proper intervention. People can be sober for years and never be "cured," in other words.

I believe an impending or actual relapse can ignite a suicidal spiral. Facing relapse, a man just might decide another battle to get sober isn't "winnable" and take just enough drugs to wipe out their fear before they hang themselves.

My interpretation of Vicky's comments are that she believes Chris' suicide was an impulsive decision influenced by the mind-altering (and habit-forming) medication he was on; one he would likely not have made had be been in his "right mind" (for lack of a better phrase). I didn't take it to mean he suffered no depression whatsoever. If that makes sense.

I lost a friend to suicide several years ago who was a "recovered" heroin addict. He also had bouts of clinical depression throughout his life. Hadn't used in well over two decades, and wasn't otherwise "depressed." But faced with a severe back injury that required treatment with opioids, he killed himself instead of relapse.

You are absolutely correct in that people who have had severely depressive episodes and suicidality in their past are more likely to eventually take their own lives. Studies prove as much, and it's very important to talk about and not minimize.

It seems to me that Vicky acknowledges this, too. JMO.

http://people.com/music/chris-cornell-widow-speaks-he-didnt-want-to-die/

:bump: People suffer from depression like any other disease. To deny that Chris didn't feel any depression, none, seems preposterous. It sends the wrong message for his wife to start calling him "drug addicted" now when he actually stayed away from hard drugs for years. Why does she need to deny his depression? It doesn't necessarily have to reflect on their marriage being unhappy. Chris himself mentioned "internalizing emotions", so it's no wonder if he kept his depression hidden. I hope she encourages her own children to talk when they're feeling dark emotions.

Talk to someone and save your life.

:cow: All my own thoughts and opinions.

OkieChance, respectifully, you need to read up on the statements VC is making then. From the very first announcement of his death there were denials from her that Chris was not depressed at all.

At first, the story was the body guard gave him two extra Ativans, but I notice now in some articles no body guard, but Chris took them. Her story is changing, too, because she didn't notice any recent drug addiction until this happened, now she wants to brand him as a drug addict as though she was finding needles and bags of powders and pills, rather than discuss his possible hopelessness or depression. He didn't die from drugs or with a needle in his arm. IMO, it's a naïve view that he thought to hang himself only because he took the Ativan. I think he probably always battled depression. I wish his brother could tell us more about what he thinks was going on with Chris.

She said,
“This was not a depressed man—..."

OkieChance, respectifully, you need to read up on the statements VC is making then. From the very first announcement of his death there were denials from her that Chris was not depressed at all.

At first, the story was the body guard gave him two extra Ativans, but I notice now in some articles no body guard, but Chris took them. Her story is changing, too, because she didn't notice any recent drug addiction until this happened, now she wants to brand him as a drug addict as though she was finding needles and bags of powders and pills, rather than discuss his possible hopelessness or depression. He didn't die from drugs or with a needle in his arm. IMO, it's a naïve view that he thought to hang himself only because he took the Ativan. I think he probablyalways battled depression. I wish his brother could tell us more about what he thinks was going on with Chris.

She said,

BBM - Yes! I think he was a very depressed person all the way back to childhood. He may have seemed happy at some points (new marriage, new babies, etc) but that depression was still lurking, so easily coming back full force. It's possible VC just cannot comprehend that a husband of hers can be deeply depressed.

Curious me, respectfully, I have read them and in fact included links in my post. I'm also not disputing anything you're saying about depression, so please don't take it that way. My impression of VC's comments are just that — my impression.

She's not branding him as a junkie. It's unfortunate that you interpret her words that way, tbh, because she didn't ever say the "only" reason he thought to hang himself was because he took Ativan or because he was an addict.

Read my post again, please. In part because the specter of relapse is a potentially overwhelming depressive factor, as I mentioned in my previous post. Addiction and depression are often comorbid conditions. I believe VC knew this, obviously. I think her comments reflect that knowledge and understanding.

When someone calls themselves an "addict," it's a statement of fact, not a slight. It's the premise of 12-step groups everywhere. Chris calling himself (and/or his wife calling him) an addict is not the same as someone using loaded language/insults like "junkie." VC didn't call Chris a junkie. She said he battled addiction. She said addiction eventually killed him. If she has called him a junkie or said he died with a needle in his arm and I missed it somewhere, please link me.

:happydance: And neither one of us (you nor I) disagrees that he probably always battled depression. In fact, we're not really disagreeing about much at all, imho. We're just saying it differently, and we have different interpretations of what VC's comments might mean. So I won't get into "right fighting" about this any further. In my mind, this is a chicken/egg argument.

I apparently differ with you on the strength and cunning of addiction, imho.

At first, the story was the body guard gave him two extra Ativans, but I notice now in some articles no body guard, but Chris took them. Her story is changing, too, because she didn't notice any recent drug addiction until this happened, now she wants to brand him as a drug addict as though she was finding needles and bags of powders and pills, rather than discuss his possible hopelessness or depression. He didn't die from drugs or with a needle in his arm. IMO, it's a naïve view that he thought to hang himself only because he took the Ativan. I think he probably always battled depression. I wish his brother could tell us more about what he thinks was going on with Chris.

She said,

@ OkieChance, just wanted to say i love your very cute avatar, :)

I also wanted to say that i know about addiction because my daughter died 5 yrs. ago from hers. Addiction sucks and it's a never ending daily battle.

Suicidal ideations is a RARE side effect of Ativan. And 4 mg is a normal dose to prescribe a pt for insomnia. Regardless, the levels in his system were therapeutic so he was not abusing the drug. He has always battled depression and for her to come out with this addiction narrative is just so she doesn't look bad. Trust me I have done my research on this family, and have talked to some reputable sources that he confided in. The man could see no other way out. Oh and the MIL was tweeting yesterday that she is going to go "on tour to meet some of her fans". What the actual ****!

And VC did say in the article "this was a man that was not depressed, it's not like I missed that. I missed the signs of addiction".

I also wanted to say that i know about addiction because my daughter died 5 yrs. ago from hers. Addiction sucks and it's a never ending daily battle.

Oh Karinna I'm so sorry. I can't imagine....I truly can't. Sending you a virtual hug!!!

Addiction is not prejudice and it wins too often. Praying for brighter days for all the addicts and their families!

Suicidal ideations is a RARE side effect of Ativan. And 4 mg is a normal dose to prescribe a pt for insomnia. Regardless, the levels in his system were therapeutic so he was not abusing the drug. He has always battled depression and for her to come out with this addiction narrative is just so she doesn't look bad. Trust me I have done my research on this family, and have talked to some reputable sources that he confided in. The man could see no other way out. Oh and the MIL was tweeting yesterday that she is going to go "on tour to meet some of her fans". What the actual ****!

If you ask me the MIL is a certifiable nut job. Pull out the straight jacket!

Also his brother Peter was doing a suicide prevention tribute to Chris on his FB page. He was doing 23 push ups for 23 days. And VC and TK threatened him to change his narrative on suicide. He would not say how he was threatened but he shut down his FB page, because they are wanting him to claim it was an "accident due to the meds".

Also his brother Peter was doing a suicide prevention tribute to Chris on his FB page. He was doing 23 push ups for 23 days. And VC and TK threatened him to change his narrative on suicide. He would not say how he was threatened but he shut down his FB page, because they are wanting him to claim it was an "accident due to the meds".

I hate to be so harsh, but maybe they are trying to get the cause of death changed so they can get an insurance payout....

I think that has a lot to do with it, and possibly a lawsuit against the pharmaceutical company and/or the prescribing doctor. I'm telling you, these people only care about the $$$.

Everyone has something to add here in this honest discussion about a tragedy we're struggling to understand.

I just hope the children are allowed to spend time with their Uncle Peter who can tell them stories about Chris when they were growing up together. There's stories they might like to hear about other family members and blood relatives they never got to know.

I also hope VC and the children get into therapy.

Even I want to believe Chris didn't know what he was doing. I can understand how desperately they'd need to believe Chris didn't know what he was doing and that he'd never knowingly do this to his children. It's easy to see how the accidental suicide due to Ativan story provides them with answers and some comfort that he didn't mean to do it. It's very sad and they must miss him so much.

Chris Cornell's widow Vicky has broken her silence with her first interview since the Soundgarden singer's May 18th death. "He didn’t want to die," Vicky Cornell said. "If he was of sound mind, I know he wouldn’t have done this."

Oh Karinna I'm so sorry. I can't imagine....I truly can't. Sending you a virtual hug!!!

Addiction is not prejudice and it wins too often. Praying for brighter days for all the addicts and their families!

Thankyou Tippy Lynn for your kind words. I miss my beautiful girl everyday, apart from being my precious daughter she was also my best friend.

Chris Cornell's widow Vicky has broken her silence with her first interview since the Soundgarden singer's May 18th death. "He didn’t want to die," Vicky Cornell said. "If he was of sound mind, I know he wouldn’t have done this."

I think we have to remember the very first stage of grief is denial. It feels very surreal when a loved one dies and takes a long time to go through the huge emotional rollercoaster that grief brings, and there is no set way we grieve and how we deal with it all.
I don't know if CC & VC had a good or crappy marriage, so whatever he really meant to her now will be what she deals with.
Was CC struggling financially? I don't know, but would think he was pretty well off from past fame etc. and the lifestyle his family lived. His wife will probably inherit all his assets now as she is his spouse and beneficiary. That's what happens usually when your spouse dies unless his will if he had one states otherwise?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back