South Africa - Martin, 55, Theresa, 54, Rudi Van Breda, 22, Murdered, 26 Jan 2015 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kelly Phelps? I won't even go there.

If Desai refuses to grant leave to appeal, Botha will probably petition the SCA directly.

This is from the interview between Tracey Stewart and Phelps. Start listening at 6:25, especially at 8:15 to 10:30

Following the above, Phelps thinks Desai's decision to deny bail and send him to prison was "harsh" ... this after him being convicted of 3 of the most brutal murders and attempted murder. Can you imagine how the general population would feel about that!

Henri van Breda is innocent: counsellor

Henri van Breda is innocent - Counsellor says.

Appeal to be heard in Western Cape High Court, Monday. I though it was Tuesday, 14th? Is this counsellor likely to give evidence at appeal?

Witnesses don't give evidence in an appeal. It's strictly legal argument between counsel.

From what Desai said in court, a successful appeal seems unlikely.

“This case fits like a mosaic, pieces of a jigsaw puzzle … everything fits together,” he said. He seemed unconvinced by the arguments put forward in HvB’s application for leave to appeal his conviction and sentence. “One rarely gets a case as strong as this against the accused”.

Botha argued that HvB had been convicted and sentenced based on circumstantial evidence. “We are faced with a very young person spending the rest of his life in jail with only circumstantial evidence against him.” He said there was a reasonable prospect that another court would come to a different conclusion. But Desai countered, “Most criminal trials rely on circumstantial evidence,” and pointed out that the defence was not relying on “an irregularity” but rather saying “the onus was not discharged”.

Botha argued that a court of appeal may give more weight to concessions made by the blood spatter expert who testified that the fact that Marli’s blood had not been found on the axe was “inexplicable”. “It doesn’t require a quantum leap that a court of appeal may find differently.”

He also argued that another court may give more weight to the defence’s expert witness who testified about flaws in security at the De Zalze Estate.

Furthermore, more weight could be attached to defence witness Dr Butler’s testimony and diagnosis of juvenile myoclonic epilepsy.

“My client’s version from that morning to the end of his testimony remained the same in essence.”

Desai conceded that the three life sentences he handed down had been severe but said he had not been given any mitigating factors to deviate from minimum legislation. “I asked you to give me a peg to hang my coat. You gave me no peg.” “The sentence could have been different if this had been a product of a broken mind.” But Botha said he could not argue that HvB had been remorseful as he had pleaded not guilty. He also said HvB had no motive and evidence showed the family had been “close knit with no problems”. Desai shot back, “The flip side of that is what was the motive of an unknown intruder?”

Desai said a key aspect of the case were HvB’s “classic” self inflicted injuries which “were a fundamental pillar in the case”.

Galloway dismissed the defence’s argument that the State had not proved premeditation. “He had to go from upstairs to downstairs to fetch the axe and knife. When he attacked his brother he aimed for the head. There cannot be another inference that it was premeditated.” She said the defence was “nitpicking” and was “missing the wood from the trees”. All had not been “happy families”. She said the defence’s criticism of the neighbour’s testimony had been unfounded. Op’t Hof had testified about hearing an argument and loud voices coming from the house from 10pm until midnight and had been “objective and honest”.

Unsympathetic Desai means a successful appeal for Van Breda unlikely

LtoA.jpg

Galloway said the premeditated nature of the murders was also clear. “He had to go from upstairs where his family members all lay in bed‚ down to the scullery to get an axe and a knife from the kitchen drawer. He aimed the axe at the heads of the deceased. There can be no other inference made — this was premeditated murder.”

On DNA and blood spatter‚ Botha said insufficient weight had been attached to all the witnesses’ testimonies‚ but Desai replied: “You could ignore the DNA evidence altogether and still come to the same conclusion.”

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2018-08-14-judge-holds-out-little-hope-for-henri-van-bredas-appeal-bid/

From what Desai said in court, a successful appeal seems unlikely.

“This case fits like a mosaic, pieces of a jigsaw puzzle … everything fits together,” he said. He seemed unconvinced by the arguments put forward in HvB’s application for leave to appeal his conviction and sentence. “One rarely gets a case as strong as this against the accused”.

Botha argued that HvB had been convicted and sentenced based on circumstantial evidence. “We are faced with a very young person spending the rest of his life in jail with only circumstantial evidence against him.” He said there was a reasonable prospect that another court would come to a different conclusion. But Desai countered, “Most criminal trials rely on circumstantial evidence,” and pointed out that the defence was not relying on “an irregularity” but rather saying “the onus was not discharged”.

Botha argued that a court of appeal may give more weight to concessions made by the blood spatter expert who testified that the fact that Marli’s blood had not been found on the axe was “inexplicable”. “It doesn’t require a quantum leap that a court of appeal may find differently.”

He also argued that another court may give more weight to the defence’s expert witness who testified about flaws in security at the De Zalze Estate.

Furthermore, more weight could be attached to defence witness Dr Butler’s testimony and diagnosis of juvenile myoclonic epilepsy.

“My client’s version from that morning to the end of his testimony remained the same in essence.”

Desai conceded that the three life sentences he handed down had been severe but said he had not been given any mitigating factors to deviate from minimum legislation. “I asked you to give me a peg to hang my coat. You gave me no peg.” “The sentence could have been different if this had been a product of a broken mind.” But Botha said he could not argue that HvB had been remorseful as he had pleaded not guilty. He also said HvB had no motive and evidence showed the family had been “close knit with no problems”. Desai shot back, “The flip side of that is what was the motive of an unknown intruder?”

Desai said a key aspect of the case were HvB’s “classic” self inflicted injuries which “were a fundamental pillar in the case”.

Galloway dismissed the defence’s argument that the State had not proved premeditation. “He had to go from upstairs to downstairs to fetch the axe and knife. When he attacked his brother he aimed for the head. There cannot be another inference that it was premeditated.” She said the defence was “nitpicking” and was “missing the wood from the trees”. All had not been “happy families”. She said the defence’s criticism of the neighbour’s testimony had been unfounded. Op’t Hof had testified about hearing an argument and loud voices coming from the house from 10pm until midnight and had been “objective and honest”.

Unsympathetic Desai means a successful appeal for Van Breda unlikely

Great post, JJ - thank you!

Surely, ' no appeal'.
Fluff, you will be so proud of your beautiful garden.
The hard work will be worth it.

Thanks, T! They're in the ground and yes, it was hard work. Now get to look forward to late spring and vases of super fresh roses, all chosen to be pink, peach, cream, thornless, fragrant, and long lasting cut flowers. Yesss! :D;):)

Kelly Phelps? I won't even go there.

If Desai refuses to grant leave to appeal, Botha will probably petition the SCA directly.

This is from the interview between Tracey Stewart and Phelps. Start listening at 6:25, especially at 8:15 to 10:30

Following the above, Phelps thinks Desai's decision to deny bail and send him to prison was "harsh" ... this after him being convicted of 3 of the most brutal murders and attempted murder. Can you imagine how the general population would feel about that!

Well that's just crazy. How on earth could a different judge, hearing the same evidence, come to a different conclusion? And there's Desai apparently "at fault" for saying it was an inescapable conclusion. :rolleyes:
I think Kelly Phelps is off on another planet ... o_O

Well that's just crazy. How on earth could a different judge, hearing the same evidence, come to a different conclusion? And there's Desai apparently "at fault" for saying it was an inescapable conclusion. :rolleyes:
I think Kelly Phelps is off on another planet ... o_O

I'd actually love this case go on appeal. Did you see the State's appeal in Pistorius? It was just brilliant. The State actually had very little to say but Barry Roux was given an absolute grilling. There was one question he couldn't even answer. He was toast ... burnt toast. I'd pay to see Botha in front of a bench of SCA judges.

I don't think an appeal will be granted. Kelly Phelps is a strange person. She almost always displays a devil's advocate attitude to any case she is asked to comment on. I wouldn't like her as my tutor when she finds grounds against compelling evidence at every opportunity. To give her the benefit of the doubt she maybe coaching her students to become defence lawyers like Botha (what a pain he is) and question absolutely everything. What I dislike is the way she projects herself as though her comments have a real chance of being valid. She did the same with the Pistorius trial and IMO made herself look foolish.

I don't think an appeal will be granted. Kelly Phelps is a strange person. She almost always displays a devil's advocate attitude to any case she is asked to comment on. I wouldn't like her as my tutor when she finds grounds against compelling evidence at every opportunity. To give her the benefit of the doubt she maybe coaching her students to become defence lawyers like Botha (what a pain he is) and question absolutely everything. What I dislike is the way she projects herself as though her comments have a real chance of being valid. She did the same with the Pistorius trial and IMO made herself look foolish.

I totally agree IB. I thought Desai's judgment was about as watertight as you can get. I think he'll force Botha to petition the SCA and I.want.that.to.happen.

Yes, JJ, bring on a petition to the SCA. I would like to see those wise and knowledgeable judges eat Botha alive. AFAICS Botha has nothing of value to offer the learned judges. I also think Botha would love getting his hand in on an appeal to the SCA. He is already building a reputation for getting murderers off the hook. Experience in taking cases to the SCA will further his "ends" IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993