Found Safe South Africa - Siwaphiwe Mbambo, 1 Month Old, Durban, 10 March 2017 *Arrests*

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by shadowdancer, Mar 11, 2017.

1. shadowdancer

shadowdancer Active Member

2. Loading...

3. TTF14

TTF14 Well-Known Member

So was she in her car seat or being breastfed? If actually being breastfed, assuming it's a true story, this would actually be a child kidnapping, not just a carjacking gone wrong, right? I mean, they'd have to have inentionally ripped this baby from the mother's arms.

Sadly, I'm not believing this story.

4. secretstars

secretstars New Member

i think this is a bit of a conclusion to jump to as if media outlets never confuse information/state things confusingly? it's possible she was breastfeeding her baby and then put her baby down in the carseat when she was approached, or who knows. the news reports i'm finding can't even agree if the carseat was in the front or in the back, or if the search is still on or not. we are reading foreign media and English interpretations of foreign media, it could just be muddled details. i'm not saying that it's not possible that it's not true, it absolutely could be, anything could be considered, but just seems odd to summarily decide it's probably not true based on what could very well be confused reporting.

5. shadowdancer

The Daily Mail has a long and proud history of making small mistakes in their stories, especially online. I will look up some other media links, to see if they describe the incident differently.

6. mbison

mbison Member

This site says the baby was in her car seat when the mother and brother were forced out of the car:

http://allafrica.com/view/group/main/main/id/00050131.html

7. shadowdancer

Ok, the Mirror says that the baby was being breastfed as the hijackers approached the car. Presumably they had guns as is sadly common in South Africa. Maybe the baby was the target, after all the car was abandoned quite swiftly. If the car was the target and they just took the baby by accident, surely they would have left the baby somewhere and kept the car.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/frantic-hunt-newborn-baby-snatched-10006650

8. secretstars

secretstars New Member

this is what i mean, i've seen some (mostly British) reports saying the baby was being breastfed at the time, some reports saying that the mother had pulled over to feed her baby (so she might not have necessarily started to when she got carjacked), and reports that don't mention the breastfeeding aspect at all and just say the baby was strapped into the carseat (which may have been in the back or in the front, who knows!).

either way, the search IS still on for Siwaphiwe, as it turns out: http://ewn.co.za/2017/03/11/missing-durban-baby-not-the-one-found-abandoned-under-a-tree

"KwaZulu-Natal police say the search for the missing one-month-old Durban baby has not been called off.

There were conflicting reports earlier when a newborn baby was found abandoned under a tree in Clare Hills in Durban earlier on Saturday.

The police’s Thulane Zwane says the two incidents are not related."

which, by the way, in the conflicting reports i had seen about whether the search was still on or not... not one of them mentioned the baby found under a tree lol. so the reporting is definitely leaving something to be desired. i would guess there's more reporting in Afrikaans.

9. secretstars

secretstars New Member

this was bothering me so i looked into what people were saying on twitter haha. there is a hashtag, #helpfinddurbanbaby. some people are saying they think it might have been a revenge thing, seeing that they abandoned the car but grabbed the baby and her pram and baby bag. i also see people calling out SA police for what they claim is typical corruption, not releasing hijacker descriptions, for confusingly saying the search had been called off when the other baby hadn't even been identified yet, etc. there's a feeling that not enough is being told/done, but generally not as an accusation of the parents, but of the police themselves. this might be part of why the reporting is so confused. or maybe the mom knows the hijackers and is afraid to be specific about it. i can only speculate

10. skibaboo

skibaboo Well-Known Member

11. AmyPond

AmyPond Well-Known Member

Horrible. I don't get a good feeling about this since the car was found without the baby. :(

12. LisaWL7TR

LisaWL7TR New Member

Found Alive!!!

One-month-old Siwaphiwe Mbambo was found in the early hours of Sunday morning following two days of searches by police and community

The baby was found after the police intercepted a vehicle on the N3. The baby was found inside the vehicle. Three suspects have been arrested and will be facing charges of kidnapping and other charges.”

http://m.ewn.co.za/2017/03/12/missing-durban-baby-found-alive-police?bna=true

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

13. skibaboo

skibaboo Well-Known Member

YEAH! That is great news!! :)

14. TTF14

TTF14 Well-Known Member

Wow, great news! I'm sorry I was suspicious of this story, but glad to be proven wrong!

15. kmclaren

kmclaren Well-Known Member

Apparently one of those arrested is the mother! Explains the inconsistencies...

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...kidnapping-tale-led-to-arrest-police-20170312

http://citizen.co.za/news/news-national/1454549/baby-siwaphiwe-mbambos-mother-arrested/

16. ms_x_to_the_m

ms_x_to_the_m Active Member

Such a great ending to this story. I was suspicious of the parents. So glad i was proven wrong!!!

17. kmclaren

kmclaren Well-Known Member

You weren't wrong actually. If you read one of the articles I just posted above, the mother was one of the 3 arrested along with her boyfriend and another woman...

18. dyannaON

dyannaON Well-Known Member

Glad baby girl is safe. Weird story. What was mom trying to pull here??? Curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. LisaWL7TR

LisaWL7TR New Member

20. TTF14

TTF14 Well-Known Member

Maybe she was going against the father's wishes and selling the baby to the couple??

21. Mermaid33

Mermaid33 Member

I live in Durban. Been feeling ill all day thinking about this story. SO glad to hear the good news😊

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk