GUILTY South Africa - Susan Rohde, 47, murdered, Stellenbosch, 24 July 2016 - #2

They only serve half their sentences anyway I think I remember.

I hope she pronounces sentence today.

As she keeps commenting, about VDS's statements, she has made up her mind, and finding fault with his points.
I hope today is the end, as this has been so tiring to follow.

VDS says Jason has not been charged or convicted of adultery. @TeamNews24

What does adultery have to do with murder? While we would all like some recognition for the part both played in Susans murder I do not understand this comment.

#Rohde VDS: The murder was committed in a moment of passion, absolute weakness and madness, and loss of control in the context of the accused simply having snapped. @TeamNews24#Rohde VDS: This murder was less serious because there was no premeditation. @TeamNews24

My oh my what an admission from the VDS. All through the trial euphemisms were used and words like murder, abuse etc avoided by VDS. This is far more interesting so VDS admits in open court it is murder! I think most of us feel this is exactly what happened and there goes old VDS putting it on the court record. Good murder it is then should your client appeal the verdict which is almost certain.

Last edited:
We are back. VDS returns to murder. "I can only describe this as a moment of weakness or madness, in which he simply snapped. Court found he punched her on her eyebrow, he exerted force on her to immobilise, he throttled and smothered her." @TeamNews24

Right so he physically abused her as VDS admits in his own words

The following is great, when the Judge interjects.

Defence emphasises there "is not one vestige" of any physical violence towards his wife or anyone else. The allegation of battered wife syndrome was "utterly dispelled".

"Except for that Saturday night, Sunday morning," Judge points out. @TeamNews24

VDS so which is it" he abused her "or "there is not on vestige of abuse". The whole argument is flawed. You only have to abuse your wife once and she dies. There are no do overs. Murder is just that there are no degrees of murder. You are either alive or dead.

The following, is so ridiculous:

Defence asks court to consider how prison has been for Jason. To be used to a luxurious or comfortable lifestyle and then overnight, all of those liberties are totally removed from your life. "You can't even anymore watch TV [or] sit in silence." @TeamNews24

I try to keep personal feelings out of my comments but I am turning into my mother! Has the world gone utterly mad. JR has been found guilty of Murder. By his own hand no one else. How can the quality of his life in prison be of any bearing on sentence. His business dealings are of no consequence here and as harsh as it sounds he should have considered the futures of his children one of whom is nearly legally an adult. If he had not killed their beautiful mother non of this would have happened.

Finally and for now I cannot find the quote but during the trial JR made a point that Susan always fought (due to family situation growing up) while JR had a very controlling mother so shied away from conflict, During her statement to the court Mrs Rohde said JR dropped out of varsity and got married young. JR does not seem very easily controlled by Mum then.

Big day today. After 62 days of trial and a guilty conviction for his wife's death, Jason Rohde is expected to hear how long he's being put behind bars for. @TeamNews24

Judge: She suffered in the last moments of her life, eventually succumbing to her death. The murder is excessive and exhibits horrifying aggression. @TeamNews24

#Rohde Judge: Your wife's murder was callous, brutal and shocking. Susan died a painful and gruesome death. She did not die instantly. @TeamNews24

Morning tmar. (Sorry, evening where you are :) )

I think he'll get 15 years, 3 years for the perverting the course of justice to run concurrently.

Judge: During the commission of these crimes, one love story trumped all others... yours of malignant self-love. You did not just take Susan's life, you completely disregarded the sanctity of her life, what it meant to her and others who cared about her. @TeamNews24

#Rohde Judge says that she had asked Jason on the stand: What does the absence of Susan mean to you? "You replied that you had not had time to grieve her death because you were fighting for your life." This contradicts caring nature your friends testified about. @TeamNews24

Judge mentions that Jason's response is indicative of his "selfish and self-serving manner" of perceiving his wife's death. @TeamNews24

Judge: On your financial position, your counsel argued that the life of luxury you are accustomed to ought to be considered as a mitigating factor. "This is with a respect a preposterous and nonsensical proposition... We are all equal before the law." @TeamNews24

Judge: The injuries to her neck show clear grab and scratch marks, deep bruises under the skin with your thumb. Her rib had fractures from you applying pressure to her, probably with your knee. Her lung was injured and blood seeped in. You smothered her @TeamNews24

Judge says it is significant that Jason did not call for help immediately. She says all these factors are so shocking and extreme that it warrants more than a 15-year jail term. @TeamNews24

Judge turns to staging of suicide. She talks about his success in the property world and quotes estate agents: "You get one chance to make an impression and preparation is key... Staging is a key element in selling property." @TeamNews24

I said it during sentencing arguments and I'm saying it again, I'm so glad his mother is hearing all the details since she hadn't read the judgement.

This will not succeed appeal.

I love how she's focusing on the staging and using his career in staging properties as a comparison.

I'm sure I just heard van der Spuy muttering about her imagination! :D

Judge details how Jason set up the scene of the hotel room to look like Susan took her own life and how he was "marketing and selling a suicide brand". @TeamNews24
BREAKING: Judge sentences Jason to 18 years in prison for the murder of his wife and 5 years for staging her suicide. Three of these five years will run concurrently. Total is 20 years in jail @TeamNews24

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back