South Africa - Susan Rohde, 47, murdered, Stellenbosch, 24 July 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't know how Jason can sit calmly and listen to the medical details, particularly the contusion to the lungs and Susan choking on the blood. What must he be thinking, 'I did that to her' 'she suffered horribly' 'why didn't I get help for her' or just simply 'I hope I can get away with it'. Certainly the latter was the main thing on his mind re his relationship with Jolene regardless of the distress Susan was experiencing.
That suggests a conscience. He's too busy fighting for his life. Proving the State is lying and it's all just an unfair attack on him. I actually think he doesn't miss her or love her to be able to gaslight her in such a way, let alone to have beaten her up with his own hands so badly.

Reminder.png

Our copyright rule allows for only 10% of an article to be copied and pasted.
Rules - Copyright 10% Rule

Also be sure to include a link or source for photos and with uploads. This post lands randomly. thanks...

Actually I'm feeling renewed optimism about the case having gone back over a few aspects.

The rib fractures and lung injuries.

Jason's version tried to explain this by Susan's fall onto the low wall/garden, even though he has Susan only complaining about her toes and sending texts three hours later, and walking to the bathroom:

She also allegedly fell onto her side - a possible explanation‚ according to the defence‚ for the wounds she might have sustained to her chest and lungs.

[...]

Susan Rohde would have been semi-conscious‚ writhing with pain and coughing up blood in the time leading up to her eventual death by manual strangulation.

<modsnipped due to copyright

Dr Perumal agrees with the State:

LVN: It happened, the swallowing, while she was still alive, correct?
RP: Yes! It has to be an active process. This is not gonna happen passively in an unconscious or deceased person.

Check out the faces on the defence advocates starting at the 29:48 minute mark :D

No longer, jumping up and down.
They realize, their expert is 'not good'.

After listening to the first 5 minutes I think they must be referring in court to the photo of Susan uploaded here. I will report the posts and ask a mod to remove them.

We are back in court this morning. LVN starts by saying that it was brought to his attention that some photos of Susan appeared on a website and it went overseas. It was while I was holding an exhibit of a photo taken in the bathroom.

Judge Salie-Hlophe addresses media and public: It simply won't be tolerated that an order that I made is not abided by. Be mindful of the dignity of the deceased and the family.

Jenna Etheridge (@JennaEtheridge) | Twitter

Izak Loftus: He has practised as a Forensic Pathologist and Histopathologist since 1994. Although he practises the whole scope of histopathology, he has a special interest in cardiorespiratory pathology, neuropathology and molecular medicine. He often acts as expert witness in medico-legal matters. He is a member of the National Pathology Group of South Africa.

http://www.waspalm.org/uploads/content_files/files/Loftus_Bio_2017-19_20170814.pdf

I wish I could understand what Dr Loftus is describing and the implications. I have the impression that the defence are also lost at times. The occasional comment from the judge suggests she is able to follow what's being said.

I wish I could understand what Dr Loftus is describing and the implications. I have the impression that the defence are also lost at times. The occasional comment from the judge suggests she is able to follow what's being said.
I wonder if LVN will need time to consult with the State pathologists before cross-examining him. It seems as if this 'evidence' should have been put to them during their testimony to give them an opportunity to answer to it, since the defence (I'm presuming) didn't raise this expert's opinions during its cross-examinations of Khan and Abrahams.

Dr Loftus criticial of Khan's interpretation of the thyroid cartilage and horn fractures plus other aspects. I do wonder how accurate he can be just looking at photos, where colour and angles can so easily be distorted. So far he seems to be relating his findings to hanging i.e. suicide rather than being killed.

Perumal on the hyoid bone: "I can't say that I am disputing completely the fracture, because it certainly is an injury one can find, the commonest injury someone can find in cases of hanging." I think Perumal is wrong about this being the commonest injury?

Nick van der Leek (@HiRezLife) | Twitter

Me - notice the outrageous bias there. That's not a valid reason for disputing, there is either evidence of it or not.

IL: I can spend hours trying to convince the court that I believe it was a ligature mark but we don’t have photos by Perumal or Coetzee-Khan to confirm their findings. I merely favour a ligature mark or the impression left by a ligature mark.

Jenna Etheridge (@JennaEtheridge) | Twitter

:D (this is the mark on the back of the neck that Khan and Abrahams said wasn't there during the first autopsy)

Dr Loftus in response to question from defence said that Susan's broken ribs and haemorrhage could be from CPR. He didn't comment on any other cause and wasn't asked about any other possibility.
Working through lunch, but adjourning for 10 mins.

I thought one had to be alive to haemorrhage. She was dead during CPR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member