Spain Spain - Ana Knezevich, 40, from Florida, going through divorce, missing under suspicious circumstances on trip to Madrid, 5 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

No, I'm not kidding. I don't know about anyone else but, if my sister were missing, I would speak candidly to police about everything I knew/heard/suspected, and let them do their job.

I wouldn't go to the media and trash talk her husband, and reveal all my sister's private conversations with me. Same as I wouldn't go on facebook and publicly post those things when she was alive and well.

What if she were found alive and came back, furious that I'd told the tabloids about her being depressed, cheated on, etc?

IMO, the only reason to tell tabloids these private stories about your loved one is either money-which I don't believe is the reason in this case, and b.some form of revenge, deliberately trying to destroy someone's reputation.

I realize the family are victims, but it used to be, under WS guidelines, that husbands are family too, and until police name them as a suspect, they are off limits for unfounded accusations. I think that is a good rule, that prevents WS from turning into the typical social media free-for-all.

JMO

I bolded the sentence I was responding to in your post - this one - (IMO this kind of disinformation campaign would not be tolerated if Ana had gone missing in Florida.) my comment was only in response to the bolded, not the rest of your post.

what disinformation campaign? (you said yourself they are private stories not untrue ones) - would not be tolerated by who? and why do you think Florida is somehow better at not tolerating it??? that's what I am most curious about - that you seem to think Florida is superior somehow to Spain

anyway, as you said, the family and friends are considered victims so no one should be passing judgment on them here about what they would do differently if it were their family member

What is this based on?

Do you think if someone was watching the cameras being spray painted, they wouldn't report it right away?

no I think it's possible someone just found the cameras to have black spraypaint on them after the fact
but I see that facelesspodcast has discovered the building to have a surveillance camera, though the intercom still was likely not recording as he said

no I think it's possible someone just found the cameras to have black spraypaint on them after the fact
but I see that facelesspodcast has discovered the building to have a surveillance camera, though the intercom still was likely not recording as he said
then how would anyone know it was someone wearing a motorcycle helmet?

it is written in MSM that helmet-person was seen on security footage waiting outside the entrance, and when 2 people left, he used that moment to sneak inside.

"Investigators checked surveillance cameras and found footage of a suspicious man in a motorcycle helmet skulking around Ana's building on Friday February 2.

He was first seen waiting outside for two people to leave then slipping inside before the door could close at around 9:30pm.

He then sprayed black paint on two cameras, one above the elevator and another on the entrance intercom, to obscure his movements"

Yes, of course it’s definitely possible she was targeted by a predator here in Madrid.

At this stage we can only point to probability. In 2021 (the latest national records I can see), 97 women were murdered in Spain. So that’s 24.7 million (female population) / 97.

Yup. The intentional homicide rate in general of the US is 91 times higher than that of Spain (6.4 per 100k vs. .07 per 100k). Spain is a very safe nation comparatively speaking. In fact, it has one of the lowest intentional homicide rates in the world:

No, I'm not kidding. I don't know about anyone else but, if my sister were missing, I would speak candidly to police about everything I knew/heard/suspected, and let them do their job.

I wouldn't go to the media and trash talk her husband, and reveal all my sister's private conversations with me. Same as I wouldn't go on facebook and publicly post those things when she was alive and well.

What if she were found alive and came back, furious that I'd told the tabloids about her being depressed, cheated on, etc?

IMO, the only reason to tell tabloids these private stories about your loved one is either money-which I don't believe is the reason in this case, and b.some form of revenge, deliberately trying to destroy someone's reputation.

I realize the family are victims, but it used to be, under WS guidelines, that husbands are family too, and until police name them as a suspect, they are off limits for unfounded accusations. I think that is a good rule, that prevents WS from turning into the typical social media free-for-all.

JMO
There’s a third reason to talk about such things publicly- anguish derived from a certainty that your loved one is gone and a certain person is involved.

Depends on your norms. On the one hand, compared to the US guns are extremely rare and very had to get, as is violent crime.

The US as a whole has a gun ownership rate at 120.5 per 100 (1st in the world), Spain has 7.5 per 100 (89th in the world). Florida in particular is at 28.8. Serbia, though, is the highest in Europe being at 39.1. (from here) As for firearm deaths, Spain was at 0.08 and the last data for the US is at 4.05 (and Florida seems to be about average). The homicide rate for Spain is 0.61 and for the US it is 6.81 - honestly, a freakin' 10-fold difference is even higher than I thought.

On the other hand, could someone who plans to murder get a gun in Madrid? I suppose so, especially if they have enough money and time. Buying one just on an impulse as you walk towards your victim is not going to happen, but if the crime was pre-meditated and the culprit was familiar with guns, then yes, I suppose it could be done.
Intentional homicide is an even greater disparity!

“…husbands are family too..”

He sure isn’t acting like family IMO. People on WS regularly call out inconsistencies (such as David’s whereabouts - what his lawyer said vs what he told Sanna). This is not victim bashing and is necessary to the discussion IMO

David is not acting like a family. Two things seem obvious to me:

- he is unwilling to go to Spain
and
- for some reason, he is quite unwilling to return back to the US.

He did hire a lawyer wh is representing him in the US.

However, Ana and David are US citizens. They have some properties and a mutual business in the country. I have my personal opinion at to why he doesn't want to show up in Spain. But also, Ana and David have made a decent life for themselves in the US, and an active business needs attention as well.

Yet David is staying in Serbia.

What do you think of it?

“…husbands are family too..”

He sure isn’t acting like family IMO. People on WS regularly call out inconsistencies (such as David’s whereabouts - what his lawyer said vs what he told Sanna). This is not victim bashing and is necessary to the discussion IMO
I agree. The question I had earlier is important because if someone is being looked at with suspicion openly in the MSM, I don’t think it’s bashing or besmirching to discuss that. Obviously, that’s different to levelling random accusations or creating some choose-your-own adventure. But it’s an important distinction, I know that the WS terms say that the first amendment does not apply but then comment on MSM is the lifeblood of WS. So, if the MSM are openly discussing someone, do we have to ignore that? Clarification would be super helpful

I wonder who knew about her whereabouts in Madrid?
Someone's had the exact address.
Friends/brother/DK?

Ana comes across as having many friends and also, rather transparent. She left messages about her daily activities for friends. Such people would usually share their addresses. She also told about the new restaurants she had discovered in the vicinity.

I wonder who knew about her whereabouts in Madrid?
Someone's had the exact address.
Friends/brother/DK?
I guess it's possible if someone took the time to come with black spray paint, they also watched her for a while. Could simply be a case of following her. If there is foul play in this, then I would bet it's someone who plans.

I guess it's possible if someone took the time to come with black spray paint, they also watched her for a while. Could simply be a case of following her. If there is foul play in this, then I would bet it's someone who plans.
For some reason I want to think that someone close to her tipped off her address either intentionally or unintentionally.

Or maybe she was sharing Amazon account with DK and was ordering stuff to the address in Madrid?

JMO

For some reason I want to think that someone close to her tipped off her address either intentionally or unintentionally.

Or maybe she was sharing Amazon account with DK and was ordering stuff to the address in Madrid?

JMO
That's a good point.

On the subject of packages. In Spain, you're almost always asked for your DNI number when receiving one. This is your national citizen number, basically. Everyone has one. Foreigners living permanently in Spain have an equivalent (NIE). Pretty much every civic engagement you have, whether it's taking out a mortgage or a library card or accusing someone of stealing your canary -- will start with this number. In the very short time that Ana was in Madrid, I think it's unlikely she would have either a DNI or a NIE. So, she'd be using her passport number to receive packages and so on. So, just out of curiosity, I wonder if her passport was still in the flat. I would have to assume that it was seeing as it hasn't been mentioned so far as I have seen.

That's a good point.

On the subject of packages. In Spain, you're almost always asked for your DNI number when receiving one. This is your national citizen number, basically. Everyone has one. Foreigners living permanently in Spain have an equivalent (NIE). Pretty much every civic engagement you have, whether it's taking out a mortgage or a library card or accusing someone of stealing your canary -- will start with this number. In the very short time that Ana was in Madrid, I think it's unlikely she would have either a DNI or a NIE. So, she'd be using her passport number to receive packages and so on. So, just out of curiosity, I wonder if her passport was still in the flat. I would have to assume that it was seeing as it hasn't been mentioned so far as I have seen.
That's very interesting. Thank you!

A couple of random thoughts.

1. In other cases I've followed, there have been instances of people claiming to be close to the missing person, who turned out to be no such thing--family not as close as they want people to think, acquaintances capitalizing on the spotlight, or now and then a malicious actor wanting to smear the missing person. Not saying any of that is happening here, just that almost everybody (not just on this case) has an agenda.

Yes, this sounds very likely.

3. Is the "casket" helmet a motorcycle helmet? I'm not clear on the usage in Spain.
Yes. Casco can be a helmet for a motorcycle or any kind of helmet

I agree. The question I had earlier is important because if someone is being looked at with suspicion openly in the MSM, I don’t think it’s bashing or besmirching to discuss that. Obviously, that’s different to levelling random accusations or creating some choose-your-own adventure. But it’s an important distinction, I know that the WS terms say that the first amendment does not apply but then comment on MSM is the lifeblood of WS. So, if the MSM are openly discussing someone, do we have to ignore that? Clarification would be super helpful
IIRC, we can discuss MSM articles about people connected to the case, but we can't publicly sleuth non-POIs, e.g. link to their social media.

That's a good point.

Yes, her passport being found in the flat was mentioned in a few media articles.

IIRC, we can discuss MSM articles about people connected to the case, but we can't publicly sleuth non-POIs, e.g. link to their social media.
Yeah so I guess my question is, if the MSM are openly referring to someone as suspicious but the police have said nothing, what’s the stance

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back