Spain Spain - Ana Knezevich, 40, from Florida, going through divorce, missing under suspicious circumstances on trip to Madrid, 5 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

Since there are no facts, everyone can be a suspect. Anything is possible.
Given the nature of the Gender Violence court, and given that police sources are saying that there is clear evidence of 'criminality', any suspect will almost certainly be found within Ana's inner circle. At least, that's what is being reported in the national press here.

Or why her brother hasn't hired a former homicide prosecutor to defend him.
Many U.S. attorneys begin their careers as prosecutors and then move on to become defense attorneys. It's a pretty common career path in the U.S.

Given the nature of the Gender Violence court, and given that police sources are saying that there is clear evidence of 'criminality', any suspect will almost certainly be found within Ana's inner circle. At least, that's what is being reported in the national press here.
Does the Gender Violence Court also investigate crimes against women that are committed by strangers, such as the crime of rape? Or does the offender have to be the spouse or close relation to the victim? It has been reported in the Spanish media that biological material was found in AK's apartment. Perhaps they are investigating a sexual crime against AK and are considering that the perpetrator may be someone AK knew as part of her inner circle of contacts that she was establishing since she moved to Spain. It's possible that her cell phone records show a relationship with someone not known to the public but known to LE (or even one of AK's friends who she met on social media and who have ostensibly been interviewed by LE). Or possibly LE don't have a suspect yet, but have moved the case over to Gender Violence Court due to evidence that points to a sexual crime.

All just possibilities, IMO, since we don't have any facts yet about the case. (Note that by "facts" I mean evidence.)

Does the Gender Violence Court also investigate crimes against women that are committed by strangers, such as the crime of rape? Or does the offender have to be the spouse or close relation to the victim? It has been reported in the Spanish media that biological material was found in AK's apartment. Perhaps they are investigating a sexual crime against AK and are considering that the perpetrator may be someone AK knew as part of her inner circle of contacts that she was establishing since she moved to Spain. It's possible that her cell phone records show a relationship with someone not known to the public but known to LE (or even one of AK's friends who she met on social media and who have ostensibly been interviewed by LE). Or possibly LE don't have a suspect yet, but have moved the case over to Gender Violence Court due to evidence that points to a sexual crime.

All just possibilities, IMO, since we don't have any facts yet about the case. (Note that by "facts" I mean evidence.)
This scenario is entirely possible. However, in Spain, this crime has a clear domestic violence connotation to it (or crimes within the household). The same goes for femicide—it’s typically defined as a murder arising from domestic violence or within a domestic setting. So, I guess if Ana had a secret boyfriend in the 5-6 weeks she’d been in Spain / knew him before, then that could fit the definition.

If not, then clearly someone within her family / inner circle.

Edit to add: the Spanish government has counted these acts of violence / murder as separate for a few decades now. Specifically because a citizen’s likelihood of being victim to an act of violence skyrockets as a woman in a domestic setting when cohabiting with a man. The Spanish government’s website defines it as one of the clearest manifestations of inequality in society.

Last edited:
This scenario is entirely possible. However, in Spain, this crime has a clear domestic violence connotation to it (or crimes within the household). The same goes for femicide—it’s typically defined as a murder arising from domestic violence or within a domestic setting. So, I guess if Ana had a secret boyfriend in the 5-6 weeks she’d been in Spain / knew him before, then that could fit the definition.

If not, then clearly someone within her family / inner circle.

So "femicide" cases that are committed by strangers don't go to his specialty court? How about acquaintances of a woman? Would these "femicide" crimes be referred to the Gender Violence court?

I'm asking because in the U.S. our laws are gender-neutral and perpetrators are processed through the same court system regardless of the demographics of the victim or the suspect.

T
So "femicide" cases that are committed by strangers don't go to his specialty court? How about acquaintances of a woman? Would these "femicide" crimes be referred to the Gender Violence court?

I'm asking because in the U.S. our laws are gender-neutral and perpetrators are processed through the same court system regardless of the demographics of the victim or the suspect.
That is not true.

"Today, there are nearly 300 courts nationwide that have special processing mechanisms for domestic violence cases."

Yes, I understand. I’m a dual American citizen. (Are there not specific DV cases or courts?). So femicide will either be a woman specifically murdered for being a woman, so either as a hate crime, or murders within the household—perpetrated by a husband or partner. I’m not a lawyer but I imagine that a murder committed by a friend wouldn’t qualify (unless it falls under that first element I mention).

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

"Recently, as we reported on elcierredigital.com, SOS Desaparecidos, through its lawyer Juan Manuel Medina, has appeared in the case, a case that has been transferred to the Court of Violence against Women."

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is one source that discusses the jurisdiction of the specialty court in Spain for gender violence against women. It may not be the best source, but it gives an idea of what is under this court's jurisdiction.

The Courts for Violence Against Women have the power to inquire on the following crimes:

• Homicide (manslaughter or murder), abortion, battery, harm to the fetus, crimes against freedom, crimes against moral integrity, sexual crimes or any other crime committed by the present or past spouse or significant other, independently or living together, as well as against minor and unable that are under the legal custody or care of the offender.
  • On crimes against family obligations when the victim is one of the mentioned before
To rule on misdemeanor cases when the victim is one of the before mentioned.

IIRC, it has been reported in the media some time ago that LE spoke with two men Ana was communicating with throught dating apps. It doesn't seem that any suspicion stems from there.

Something else that should be mentioned is how the process of investigating a crime occurs in Spain, which is quite different from the U.S.

In the U.S., LE investigate when a crime takes place and then take their evidence to the prosecutor and the prosecutor decides if there is enough evidence to prosecute the case (directly or first going to a Grand Jury for an indictment). And then a judge is assigned to move the case forward.

In Spain, it sounds like anyone can initiate an investigation into a crime by registering with a judge. LE is not necessarily the person/body that initiates the investigation with the court. So if that is the case, it's possible that a person or organization (other than LE) has gone to the court/a judge and initiated a case directly with the specialty court. Or the criminal court judge has referred the case to the specialty court based on the case that was presented by the person or group that initiated the case before the court.

In that case, the specialty court would be doing an investigation that may or may not include evidence (at this time) that is being gathered by LE.

That's how I understand the Spanish judicial system based on what I have read on this forum and through reading various descriptions of the Spanish judicial system online.

Here is one source that discusses the jurisdiction of the specialty court in Spain for gender violence against women. It may not be the best source, but it gives an idea of what is under this court's jurisdiction.

The Courts for Violence Against Women have the power to inquire on the following crimes:

• Homicide (manslaughter or murder), abortion, battery, harm to the fetus, crimes against freedom, crimes against moral integrity, sexual crimes or any other crime committed by the present or past spouse or significant other, independently or living together, as well as against minor and unable that are under the legal custody or care of the offender.
  • On crimes against family obligations when the victim is one of the mentioned before
To rule on misdemeanor cases when the victim is one of the before mentioned.

"any other crime committed by the present or past spouse or significant other, independently or living together"

In my opinion, I guess we can cross her brother off the suspect list. [ For THIS particular court filing. Perhaps LE has evidence we don't know about.]

Something else that should be mentioned is how the process of investigating a crime occurs in Spain, which is quite different from the U.S.

In the U.S., LE investigate when a crime takes place and then take their evidence to the prosecutor and the prosecutor decides if there is enough evidence to prosecute the case (directly or first going to a Grand Jury for an indictment). And then a judge is assigned to move the case forward.

In Spain, it sounds like anyone can initiate an investigation into a crime by registering with a judge. LE is not necessarily the person/body that initiates the investigation with the court. So if that is the case, it's possible that a person or organization (other than LE) has gone to the court/a judge and initiated a case directly with the specialty court. Or the criminal court judge has referred the case to the specialty court based on the case that was presented by the person or group that initiated the case before the court.

In that case, the specialty court would be doing an investigation that may or may not include evidence (at this time) that is being gathered by LE.

That's how I understand the Spanish judicial system based on what I have read on this forum and through reading various descriptions of the Spanish judicial system online.
In the U.S. anyone can initiate an investigation into a crime. All you have to do is call 911 or file a police report.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisminto
Back