Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent last night watching Dan and Esther’s videos again..from their 80 day trek this summer. What a cheerful happy couple! What awe-inspiring views from seemingly the top of the world! They are so joyful ...in their element, so far from the troubles of the world below, suffering from a deadly pandemic and crushing lockdowns. Their only concerns seem to be where to place their foot next. The world below does not exist when all one must think about is securing the next safe step on a mountaintop.

But far below those mountain tops, the social and economic ravages of the pandemic are taking a secondary toll. I googled ‘suicide and Covid-19” and found a plethora of articles that were chilling. But, IMO, it appears as long as Esther is moving, high above the worlds problems, she can contain the fears and anxieties that beset her ...hold depression at bay...with the distraction of DAILY “adventure!” Its a “Child at Disneyland Life”IMO.

But she cannot stay up there forever.

“When I drift into seriousness and become goal oriented is when the joy goes and the fears take hold. ‘Esther May 16, 2020

Books being written, lockdown, REAL life. Esther is grounded...but..

But soon, despite lockdowns, they are off on an 80 day trek and Esther seems gleeful again in all their videos. But once home, it doesn’t take long...about three weeks later...

On October 19, Esther posts on her public FB...

Oct 19__’going thru a difficult spell again with some deep self searching needed.” We are not invading her diary here..this is a public post.

She is quoting Alex Boye lyrics..’stretched out like a rubber band, stressed out like a working man All I need is a helping hand. A little care from someone who loves me.” I wonder what was occurring in regard to the publicity that would be coming from the BBC? Was Dan soliciting interviews in order to sell their books? Did it make her feel like “a working man” again? Was it too ‘goal-oriented?’

Two days later, she leaves. Supposedly, just for a few days. Then repeated promises to come home...but she keeps extending. Then she disappears.

IMO...Esther is not living somewhere and making a new life. But IMO she could be one of those individuals whose mental health issues were pushed to the brink due to the pandemic. I think Esther and Dan had a beautiful love story. As much as he could, he enabled her need to be in a mountaintop world of just the two of them. But Covid has overturned everyone’s lives and stretched coping abilities.

Like Esther, I sometimes relate to song lyrics. Watching Esther in the videos, I thought of the lyric from “Starry starry night”...”The world was never meant for one as beautiful as you.”

I agree, covid is seriously problematic for people’s mental health, including myself. The constant negative news, the rules, the no end in sight. It’s like if you already have a bit of a mental health problem it pushes you over the limit.

I agree, covid is seriously problematic for people’s mental health, including myself. The constant negative news, the rules, the no end in sight. It’s like if you already have a bit of a mental health problem it pushes you over the limit.
I agree, there's 2 of us with almost daily contact with family by phone, text, zoom, plus chatty neighbours. But it's too long now and we need to spend time with people. We are clan/sociable animals, are we not. We're getting fidgety/restless. We walk a bit and just seeing other human beings feels good, and connecting with people on here. Getting outside in wind, rain or snow is the important thing, for those who can.

Hi patCee. Here is a map I had put together marking the route ED took on 22/11 up to summit of Pic de Sauvegarde and then her stated (to DC) route into France via Port de Vanesque. In this version I added an approximate border. View attachment 280520

ETA: I should clarify that this is a bit of an interpolation of the route that ED / DC depicted in that picture we have from the dossier. My interpolation is that ED may have intended on returning via the Port de Vanesque... but the route in the dossier pic has ED returning via Port de Glere (both are on this map). That may be mute if she aborted her hike on 22/11 and returned to Banasque or never made it past the Pic de Sauvegarde or beyond the Refuge de Vanesque...
This is exactly how I thought the trip would be made, i.e. via the Refuge, both coming and going.
And it would take 2 nights out, the 22nd and the 23rd.
And, as someone suggested upthread, her Pic summits served the purpose of reconnoitering. I'm thinking she saw trails clearly from the Pic, both on the 21st and 22nd, and that helped her make her mind up about the trip. Until then she might not have had a plan thought through. She saw it laid out before her, and made up her mind.
The part that would be out of sight would be the de la Glère piece, and the part at the bottom of the valley (which likely would be straightforward). But she could have seen the Refuge, the fact that the hike down to the Hospice was super do-able, maybe even inviting.

She could have had an accident on any of the 3 days: 22nd, 23rd, or 24th.

SBM and BBM

Perhaps DC’s confidence comes from seeing a payment ED’s made for the refuge on their bank account? It’s one of the many bits of missing/not shared information in this case.

Making a payment to stay there for the night would show the intention to stay there at least.
I'm not sure how you would pay for the Refuge electronically except in advance, and ED didn't even know whether it was open or not. Unless subsequent to talking to DC at the top of the Pic, she got on the Refuge website, found out whether it was open, and paid in advance. If true, I think that would have been mentioned in the dossier or by LE.

And, as someone suggested upthread, her Pic summits served the purpose of reconnoitering. I'm thinking she saw trails clearly from the Pic, both on the 21st and 22nd, and that helped her make her mind up about the trip. Until then she might not have had a plan thought through. She saw it laid out before her, and made up her mind.
Snipped for focus

I can now see it all on RedHaus map from the Pic de S. I imagine it would have been irresistable to ED seeing the panorama of it all. I wonder just how far she managed to get over the 3 days, not far it seems evidenced by the lack of phone contact.

Last edited:
Just looking at the cost of mountain rescue on the Caf de Toulouse.

The cost of a helicopter minute is 40 to 50 euros or 2,400 to 3,000 € per hour , sometimes more, (in Switzerland for example).

Refuges des Pyrénées - REFUGE DE VÉNASQUE (FFCAM) (2249 m)
On the right hand side under Manager shows website to Caf de Toulouse for ski info etc.
There is a notice not to go into the mountains without insurance.

DLImwD_W

desaparecidosaragón
@desaparecidosar

Hoy se cumplen 2 meses de la desaparición de MARIA ESTHER DINGLEY. #desaparecido #sosdesaparecidos #Missing #Benasque #Huesca #Aragon

Today marks 2 months since the disappearance of MARIA ESTHER DINGLEY.

BBM

Snipped for focus

I can now see it all on RedHaus map from the Pic de S. I imagine it would have been irresistable to ED seeing the panorama of it all. I wonder just how far she managed to get over the 3 days, not far it seems evidenced by the lack of phone contact.
I think she could have had an accident much further along than we'd imagine. It's possible she felt harangued and annoyed and didn't want to take phone calls for a couple of days.

Do we know for certain that there is no cell service at the Cabane de la Besurtas where she spent the night before she disappeared? Perhaps she just went silent that night too.

We can probably assume so because a) she didn’t post anything on FB on the night of 21st as would be typical, and b) she said to Dan on 22nd she was looking forward to reading his messages, which suggests they pinged through as she climbed Sauvegarde.

She did post on Instagram on 21st but we don’t know what time (surely there’s a way to check this?!) so it might have been while she was on the Pic early afternoon.

Last edited:

The cost of a helicopter minute is 40 to 50 euros or 2,400 to 3,000 € per hour , sometimes more, (in Switzerland for example).

On the right hand side under Manager shows website to Caf de Toulouse for ski info etc.

I couldn't find the part on the right, or the part about insurance on that link patCee. Is your point that the search costs are met by insurance?

Esther & Dan had membership with the Austria Alpine Club which will include mountain rescue. It's free in France anyway (unless you have behaved like an idiot)
I would also mention that the when there is no gardien at hut, there is no online booking.

I couldn't find the part on the right, or the part about insurance on that link patCee. Is your poi'Joining the Caf is essential to enjoynt that the search costs are met by insurance?

Right of the page under Manager gives website. Takes you to this:-
Club Alpin Toulouse - Actualité du club
Then scroll down to membership for insurance.
scroll down again to heading - Joining the Caf is Essential to Enjoy the Mountains with Peace of Mind'
It's not directly relevant, but interesting (to me) to see the costs and conditions of membership to the ski club. Plus the cost of being rescued if an accident.
ETA means people have to pay for being rescued?

Last edited:
Esther & Dan had membership with the Austria Alpine Club which will include mountain rescue. It's free in France anyway (unless you have behaved like an idiot)
I would also mention that the when there is no gardien at hut, there is no online booking.
Plus, Esther was just hiking, she wasn't skiing, climbing, scrambling, mountaineering, crossing avalanche zones, or any of the high risk mountain activities that Alpine Club members typically do. I've never heard of ordinary hikers needing insurance. Search and Rescue is typically provided for free, just as are police services.

Why have they put her middle name first?

One of those things that Spaniards do when they feel at home probably. ;)

Linguistically, Esther is a difficult name in Spanish. Spaniards take a little breath to pronounce the S at the beginning of a word when that S is followed by a consonant. For instance, many languages have no problem with "Spain", but Spain calls itself "España".
At the same time, the emphasis does not fall on that first "es".
This makes "Esther" a complicated name. Esthér instead of Ésther would be the natural pronunciation, linguistically.
However, when you put Maria before Esther and pronounce it as one name, the problem disappears completely, the emphasis does fall on Es and even the a-e is bridged seamlessly.

No doubt they check their texts befor they publish the posters, but IMO "Maria Esther" does not look as a mistake that someone would necessarily notice.

One of those things that Spaniards do when they feel at home probably. ;)

Linguistically, Esther is a difficult name in Spanish. Spaniards take a little breath to pronounce the S at the beginning of a word when that S is followed by a consonant. For instance, many languages have no problem with "Spain", but Spain calls itself "España".
At the same time, the emphasis does not fall on that first "es".
This makes "Esther" a complicated name. Esthér instead of Ésther would be the natural pronunciation, linguistically.
However, when you put Maria before Esther and pronounce it as one name, the problem disappears completely, the emphasis does fall on Es and even the a-e is bridged seamlessly.

No doubt they check their texts befor they publish the posters, but IMO "Maria Esther" does not look as a mistake that someone would necessarily notice.
I'm not sure I get this, since Esther's name doesn't begin with 's'. The "th" might create some phonological confusion to a native Spanish speaker, however, because we pronounce the "th" as "t" (likely to transliterate the Hebrew, perhaps via a Greek translation of the Hebrew with theta transliterated as "t" with an aspirate, and the aspirate dropped in the course of history or because our tongues are lazy and couldn't handle it all). And if the Spaniard happens to be a Castilian, wish them luck; at utterance, the layers of language might be head-spinning.
No worries, Esther is pronounced in the neighborhood of the Spanish word este with an -r on the end, as in éster or the name Ester. No biggie.
I would guess, simply, someone made a mistake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member