Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Message from Dan
Dear Friends,

I expect some of you will have seen some of the recent statements made by the French authorities overseeing the investigation into Esther's death. Myself and Esther's mum visited the lead investigator in Toulouse this morning and they provided us with all the information they have at this time. It is, of course, up to them now to release that information once it is formally confirmed.

The purpose of this post is simply to express my, and the rest of the family's, continued gratitude and admiration for the work done by all of the various police teams that have been involved on both sides of the border -since day one of the search - both of the search and rescue units and both of the investigative teams.

I simply don't have the vocabulary to fully express how challenging these past months have been, but I am certain that without the support, courage and determination of the individuals assigned to lead this case and their team members, those difficulties would have been significantly increased.

We've thanked everyone in person already, but I wanted to say it publicly. Having experienced first hand how hard it was to find answers, I honestly don't think they could have done more. The only difference between me and them was that I only had a single task, while they continued to rescue others as well. They are heroes.

Thank you all, from the bottom of our hearts.

Just posted on the Esther and Dan FB page by Dan.

“Dear Friends,

I expect some of you will have seen some of the recent statements made by the French authorities overseeing the investigation into Esther's death. Myself and Esther's mum visited the lead investigator in Toulouse this morning and they provided us with all the information they have at this time. It is, of course, up to them now to release that information once it is formally confirmed.

The purpose of this post is simply to express my, and the rest of the family's, continued gratitude and admiration for the work done by all of the various police teams that have been involved on both sides of the border -since day one of the search - both of the search and rescue units and both of the investigative teams.

I simply don't have the vocabulary to fully express how challenging these past months have been, but I am certain that without the support, courage and determination of the individuals assigned to lead this case and their team members, those difficulties would have been significantly increased.

We've thanked everyone in person already, but I wanted to say it publicly. Having experienced first hand how hard it was to find answers, I honestly don't think they could have done more. The only difference between me and them was that I only had a single task, while they continued to rescue others as well. They are heroes.

Thank you all, from the bottom of our hearts.”

RSBM - it's interesting to see from that angle. Though those slopes look be a bit too steep for me, I can see how a young and very fit Esther might have thought, after ascending to the port from the French side, might as well bag one last peak before descending back down to the campervan.

ETA: have marked a possible way up that looks maybe feasible, depend on how it goes beyond the top of my yellow line, might loop back left and be not too steep?

This is a google earth link so you can play around with the view angles of the site:

http://www.grpdesbf.nl/esfr-mapdata...a-331-332-shortcut-via-lacdelamontagnette.kml

It's the Esther Dingley area - with the pink trail being the shortcut from Refuge Vanesque to the base of Port de la Glere path
I think I can see a couple of routes that might be doable with a pack on, but it's hard to tell without being there. Here are a few more pictures from slightly different angles:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0pphoTrp23E/XaQm1PxH5oI/AAAAAAAAUiY/38003wX7KmIDKBPcNy7ZaXooEHrGkxA_ACLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/puerto+la+glera.jpg

https://s2.wklcdn.com/image_0/3958/20036701/12533066Master.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MNwMP9kERfw/XaQmKoryoJI/AAAAAAAAUiA/L6ir3fBeMeYgr4KI2n10ObSkJdkMSMwygCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Ib%C3%B3n+Gorgutes2.jpg

The third picture has a human being for scale. I can't find good pictures of the unphotogenic, fractured north face. It's usually in shade, and there's nowhere to stand to take them.

I found the shadows hadn't been added into earlier imagery on Google Earth, so you can view the face back in time. For example, here from 2006 with the yellow pin behind, showing the point that people have been suggesting she may have left the path to access the Pic from. The face might be a bit different now though of course!

Attachments

• pic de glere 2006.jpg
    pic de glere 2006.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 56
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics