Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree. But to be blunt, every time I see a comment insinuating DC is in some way controlling her or, as Investigator said

I am thinking maybe not an argument for suicide but that they are insinuating something else (that is against the terms of this website) , and I feel honour bound to counter it.

Yes time to move on I hope but whenever I see it I will challenge it.
Scared about the thought of being lost in the mountains,.. you got the wrong end of the stick my friend, chill.

Esther Dingley 'fell 100ft to her death after slipping on ledge in worn shoes'

ESTHER Dingley suffered a lethal fall of up to 100ft into a rocky crevice after slipping in worn walking shoes without spikes in a moment of ‘possible thoughtlessness’, investigators believe.

She was wearing a pair of worn La Sportiva hiking shoes, but not a Kahtoola Microspikes traction system that she had with her.

The spikes are marketed as the "gold standard" crampon-style add-ons for mountains "in frozen conditions."

But it is thought Esther was solely using the shoes, because weather conditions were relatively good.

"The configuration of the site leads us very clearly towards a fall of about 20 metres (92ft) or 30 metres (98,4ft)," said Mr Amunzateguy, as he discussed an initial investigation of the accident scene.

He said the shoes were worn after months of use, and "clearly the soles were a bit smooth."

Discussing the latest in the case today, Mr Amunzateguy said that Esther may have slipped over a cliff edge in a moment of "possible thoughtlessness."

BBM

What are people thinking? The yellow line is marked at 25m(contour line) below the ridge line.
Red oval would be both hidden from path and possible if she had made a mistake with the lake/path, but unlikely if the skull rolled to its final destination.
Green and Blue Oval both look like obvious spots for a fall from the "top" with the blue being the more hidden area, but the "top" is hard to get to.
Right hand side of the yellow line unlikely, due to closeness to the path,
Cyan Oval is where you would get to from the "easy to access" part of the ridge.
25m below Pic Glere.png

Disparition de la randonneuse Esther : l'autopsie confirme l'hypothèse de la chute mortelle

The autopsy of the British hiker Esther Dingley, missing since 22 November 2020 and found on 22 July near the Spanish border, validates the hypothesis of an accident and a fatal fall.

This was confirmed this Friday afternoon by the public prosecutor of Saint-Gaudens, Christophe Amunzateguy: "the body was found 20 or 30 metres down and the autopsy carried out this Thursday revealed at least two fractures. It is a very technical place", the prosecutor confirmed to France Bleu Occitanie.

After the discovery of a human body and equipment identified as that of the young woman, the thesis of kidnapping put forward by her companion Dan Colegate is therefore ruled out. That of the bear too, even if the Saint-Gaudens prosecutor specifies that "we will never really know the circumstances of her fall. Was she scared by a bear? I don't think so. It's an area where you have to be a real mountaineer to go there, from the moment when there has indeed been a fall with several fractures that have led to a death, we proceed by elimination and we arrive at the fatal accident," Christophe Amunzateguy explained.

The Saint-Gaudens public prosecutor announced that investigations are continuing to try to refine the circumstances of this death as much as possible.

BBM

Randonneuse britannique disparue dans les Pyrénées : ce que révèle l'autopsie d'Esther Dingley

The autopsy of Esther Dingley's remains revealed that she died immediately after a fall.

She did not suffer. Esther Dingley, the 37-year-old hiker who went missing in the Pyrenees in November and whose body was found on Monday by her companion in the Luchonnais, died as a result of a fall. The autopsy took place this Thursday at the forensic institute in Toulouse," the Saint-Gaudens public prosecutor, Christophe Amunzateguy, told La Dépêche du Midi.

The doctors noted fractures which led to the immediate death of the person. The accidental cause of death is now the most likely explanation."

The discovery of her body on Monday, after her skull three weeks ago, led to a gendarmerie operation on Tuesday to extract the remains from the steep spot where she had been for eight months. A helicopter was dispatched to the site. The configuration of the site requires experience," the prosecutor said. The remains were was at the foot of a rock, which suggests a fall." The dispersal of certain objects has allowed investigators from the Toulouse research section to envisage the scenario of this tragedy.

After having been in this area and having suffered the vagaries of the weather and the presence of wild animals, the victim's body was very damaged. Despite the conclusions of the autopsy, the investigations will continue, notably around the exploitation of the mobile phone found on Monday. A scan of Esther Dingley's skull is also due to be carried out.

BBM

Randonneuse britannique disparue dans les Pyrénées : ce que révèle l'autopsie d'Esther Dingley

The autopsy of Esther Dingley's remains revealed that she died immediately after a fall.

She did not suffer. Esther Dingley, the 37-year-old hiker who went missing in the Pyrenees in November and whose body was found on Monday by her companion in the Luchonnais, died as a result of a fall. The autopsy took place this Thursday at the forensic institute in Toulouse," the Saint-Gaudens public prosecutor, Christophe Amunzateguy, told La Dépêche du Midi.

The doctors noted fractures which led to the immediate death of the person. The accidental cause of death is now the most likely explanation."

The discovery of her body on Monday, after her skull three weeks ago, led to a gendarmerie operation on Tuesday to extract the remains from the steep spot where she had been for eight months. A helicopter was dispatched to the site. The configuration of the site requires experience," the prosecutor said. The remains were was at the foot of a rock, which suggests a fall." The dispersal of certain objects has allowed investigators from the Toulouse research section to envisage the scenario of this tragedy.

After having been in this area and having suffered the vagaries of the weather and the presence of wild animals, the victim's body was very damaged. Despite the conclusions of the autopsy, the investigations will continue, notably around the exploitation of the mobile phone found on Monday. A scan of Esther Dingley's skull is also due to be carried out.

BBM

Glad to know she died immediately and didn't suffer.

So that it. Seems she just slipped and fell to her immediate death. I’m so glad she didn’t lay there suffering and alone.

RIP Esther, and respect to Dan for his determination to find her - he walked over 700 miles scouring every inch of those mountains and he gets to bring her home and finally lay her to rest.

BBM
Pleased for her loved ones that Esther wouldnt have suffered. Also puts to bed any speculation about whether she would have been saved if help reached her sooner.

The Times is reporting "Esther Dingley slipped in worn shoes and fell 30 metres to her death in a mountain accident in the Pyrenees, French investigators believe."

Esther Dingley ‘slipped in worn shoes and fell 30m to her death’ | News | The Times

The article's behind a paywall.
Apologies for the source but a bit more detail which sounds reliable:
She was wearing a pair of worn La Sportiva hiking shoes, but not a Kahtoola Microspikes traction system that she had with her.

The spikes are marketed as the "gold standard" crampon-style add-ons for mountains "in frozen conditions."

But it is thought Esther was solely using the shoes, because weather conditions were relatively good.

He said the shoes were worn after months of use, and "clearly the soles were a bit smooth."
Esther Dingley 'fell 100ft to her death after slipping on ledge in worn shoes'

I was wondering what the weather conditions had been like, and if they had been a factor. For example snow on the Port de la Glere path, making the journey far longer and forcing a bivouac near the top. But this no longer seems likely.

Last edited:
RSBM - it's interesting to see from that angle. Though those slopes look be a bit too steep for me, I can see how a young and very fit Esther might have thought, after ascending to the port from the French side, might as well bag one last peak before descending back down to the campervan.

ETA: have marked a possible way up that looks maybe feasible, depend on how it goes beyond the top of my yellow line, might loop back left and be not too steep?

This is a google earth link so you can play around with the view angles of the site:

http://www.grpdesbf.nl/esfr-mapdata...a-331-332-shortcut-via-lacdelamontagnette.kml

It's the Esther Dingley area - with the pink trail being the shortcut from Refuge Vanesque to the base of Port de la Glere path

So that it. Seems she just slipped and fell to her immediate death. I’m so glad she didn’t lay there suffering and alone.

RIP Esther, and respect to Dan for his determination to find her - he walked over 700 miles scouring every inch of those mountains and he gets to bring her home and finally lay her to rest.
I'll bet they are already vying for the film rights. It would make quite a story - starting with their early life.

Last edited:
I see the authorities are speculating that the worn tread on her hiking shoes may have led to a fall.

I think that illustrates one of the problems in packing for much lighter conditions than you encounter.

From the photos at the Pic de S, we can see there was really only a scattering of what looks like old snow patches, and the trails she HAD been on were not covered nor did there appear to be a reason to even wear microspikes at that point.

As I think we are postulating she did not actually take the regular trail over Pont de la Glere, but a game trail slightly to the east, there could have easily been a cornice or an icy patch where snow collected and where something like mountain boots, crampons, or ice axes might have been briefly necessary.

I'm sure her trail hikers were probably good for about 90% of the conditions she did encounter up to that point, but were not really suitable for a more difficult terrain where a firm lug sole and ankle support might have been needed. Microspikes are OK for a little bit of snow, but are no substitute for crampons on ice. But frankly, if she was trying to descend what was essentially a game trail, not regularly used by human hikers, the loose rock conditions or ice sheet would be hugely treacherous for most any footwear and microspikes would not be enough.

I see the authorities are speculating that the worn tread on her hiking shoes may have led to a fall.

I think that illustrates one of the problems in packing for much lighter conditions than you encounter.

From the photos at the Pic de S, we can see there was really only a scattering of what looks like old snow patches, and the trails she HAD been on were not covered nor did there appear to be a reason to even wear microspikes at that point.

As I think we are postulating she did not actually take the regular trail over Pont de la Glere, but a game trail slightly to the east, there could have easily been a cornice or an icy patch where snow collected and where something like mountain boots, crampons, or ice axes might have been briefly necessary.

I'm sure her trail hikers were probably good for about 90% of the conditions she did encounter up to that point, but were not really suitable for a more difficult terrain where a firm lug sole and ankle support might have been needed. Microspikes are OK for a little bit of snow, but are no substitute for crampons on ice. But frankly, if she was trying to descend what was essentially a game trail, not regularly used by human hikers, the loose rock conditions or ice sheet would be hugely treacherous for most any footwear and microspikes would not be enough.

It seems she did intend to get the boot version but they didn't have her size. Regardless of whether they were the right spec, being the shoe rather than boot (and I still managed to turn on my ankle very badly in the Lake District wearing a decent pair of boots that did come up over the ankle), she only bought them on 1st September! --> Login • Instagram

That was getting towards the end of their Alpine trek, so the tread on them didn't last long IMO. Also interesting that she got them in an exchange for a pair of a different style but the same brand that she had returned as "after 18 days the wear wasn't normal". There are a few pics of the shoes further in on that IG post.

Last edited:
Here's a different view of the same ridge: Google Maps

France is on the left, Spain on the right. You can see the steep grassy slopes rising from the main path towards the precipice

RSBM - it's interesting to see from that angle. Though those slopes look be a bit too steep for me, I can see how a young and very fit Esther might have thought, after ascending to the port from the French side, might as well bag one last peak before descending back down to the campervan.

ETA: have marked a possible way up that looks maybe feasible, depend on how it goes beyond the top of my yellow line, might loop back left and be not too steep?
I think I can see a couple of routes that might be doable with a pack on, but it's hard to tell without being there. Here are a few more pictures from slightly different angles:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0pphoTrp23E/XaQm1PxH5oI/AAAAAAAAUiY/38003wX7KmIDKBPcNy7ZaXooEHrGkxA_ACLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/puerto+la+glera.jpg

https://s2.wklcdn.com/image_0/3958/20036701/12533066Master.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MNwMP9kERfw/XaQmKoryoJI/AAAAAAAAUiA/L6ir3fBeMeYgr4KI2n10ObSkJdkMSMwygCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Ib%C3%B3n+Gorgutes2.jpg

The third picture has a human being for scale. I can't find good pictures of the unphotogenic, fractured north face. It's usually in shade, and there's nowhere to stand to take them.

I've no doubt the canine nose is a powerful, unbiased detection tool - If they had searched in the area I've no doubt they would have detected the human scent. That makes it really puzzling to me
The problem was from the get-go the search area was contaminated. SAR/LE warn/beg/order family and intimates not to go into missing hiker search areas, because then canines can't be used. Consider: canines can't distinguish between the aroma of a hiker on the actual hiker versus on someone else. So, if someone with detritus from the missing hiker goes into the search area, the canines are mooted.

It also puts to bed speculation about suicide which would only have caused Dan and the family further agony.
It seems she did intend to get the boot version but they didn't have her size. Regardless of whether they were the right spec, being the shoe rather than boot (and I still managed to turn on my ankle very badly in the Lake District wearing a decent pair of boots that did come up over the ankle), she only bought them on 1st September! --> Login • Instagram

That was getting towards the end of their Alpine trek, so the tread on them didn't last long IMO. Also interesting that she got them in an exchange for a pair of a different style but the same brand that she had returned as "after 18 days the wear wasn't normal". There are a few pics of the shoes further in on that IG post.

Possibly not a great advert for Sportiva then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy