Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
To try to clarify what I believe to be the case. I have seen two pictures that were taken on 22nd and commented on it up thread. Both had the open neck top, both had the pack on and water tube visible, and they were taken in opposite directions. One of these was the one sent that was published as being sent to Dan, but it appears she actually sent two. The sun indicates late afternoon.

In addition there is a set of photos posted on Instagram on 21st and definitely also on Sauvegard. Included in these are two of Esther, in both she is wearing a round neck jacket and is not wearing her pack. The angle of the sun indicates earlier in the day.

All the above pictures are flipped (I unflipped them to work out the direction of the sun)

Please show me the two taken on 22nd. I have only ever seen the one Dan posted about.

EDIT my bad, it's the same two I just posted. Losing my mind...o_O

Last edited:
I’m not answering to any particular post but just adding a few snippets of information based on my own experiences in the light of things that have been mentioned on this thread. I have walked and camped in UK and France including the Pyrenees , although not in this specific part. I now live about 100km from the Pyrenees

Walking alone

I prefer some company but have walked alone and slept in mountain cabins without feeling any sense of fear. Many people do it and it is no riskier than many other sports like snow-boarding, windsurfing. Parachuting etc.

Talking to strangers

This is quite common in the mountains although the level of communication can vary for no particular reason. I’ve shared refuge bunkrooms with people done no more than exchanged pleasanrtries but on other occasions talked for a few hours, taken photos/had photos taken, shared food and beer. I’ve given lifts to people, even lone female travellers so I see nothing inherently sinister in any of this behaviour.

Predator

There have been cases of walkers being targeted but tis has largely been on the lower level trails where such as Compostella where there are far more walkers and hence potential victims. High level trails means high effort and risk for little reward so unlikely to appeal to a potential abductor. Even if a predator found a potential victim, the chances of abducting them from the mountain is nigh on impossible. Even if they lured them down the chances of succeeding and avoiding detection is high risk.

Terrain

Given the openness and visibility I can understand how SAR would feel that if she was there, they would have seen her, however there are still nooks around rocks and some shrubbery that could conceal someone. If someone was injured or ill and managed to crawl to shelter and hunker down before falling unconscious.

This is no criticism of SAR who take great risks and are seriously committed to their task but it is possible they missed something in spite of their diligence.

Lakes/water

There are many lakes and pools which are an obvious hazard but not my preferred theory here. Often then are still and clear with no current with little algae at this time of year. I recall a walk a few years back when I could see something in a lake that looked like a submerged tent a few feel beneath the surface, maybe blown away in the wind, so shapes can be visible beneath the water especially from the air.

Daylight

There is some talk of darkness coming an hour after her last photo. I’m guessing there are a many UK posters here who may be just adding the extra hour for CET but the latitude means that winter evening are not quite as dark here. I live in the sticks and this evening at 6pm with part cloud I could still make out trees and unlit houses at 500 metres. Not ideal walking conditions but by no means pitch darkness. The refuge was very doable from the summit especially for an experienced walker.

Of course, absolutely anything is possible but on balance I feel the poor lady has suffered an accident of some kind.
My opinions of course are worth no more than any others but I hope you may find something useful here.

Peace

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

With respect I think I am correct on this :);). Both of those were on 22nd. They were taken at the same time of day once you allow for the fact they are facing opposite directions.

I can see now where the confusion may be, as the photos on Instagram of her on 21st are quite similar looking at first glance. But looking closer they are distinct due to the absence of pack, neckline etc. There is no pic on 21st on IG that I can see that features the pack/water tube. If I've missed that please show me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use an MSR filter. Lightweight hikers these days often use a set up where you fill a water bladder with the dirty water and then squeeze the water through the filter. Alternatively, they hang the dirty water bag upside down, and let the water drip through the filter and into a clean water bottle.
Sometimes people use tablets or UV light.
All of these methods (except a set up like the one I use) requires reaching over to fill a bottle. You could tie the bottle to a piece of cord, fling the bottle into the lake and then fish it out, but I’ve tried this myself (so I could get water a few feet away from shoreline) and found it maddening.
IMO the odds that ED fell in while getting water are substantial. Several Osprey pack designs pull your weight back and away from your core. The one ED has is one of those styles. The pack could very easily have toppled her over because of how it’s designed.
I want to make clear this is different from saying “she was carrying a heavy pack and this facilitated an accident.” IMO ED’s pack was not heavy. It looks way bigger than it is, because of the design. It has a big air scoop against the back. This is the “catastrophe waiting to happen” that I’m referring to. With all that air against the back, the heavy stuff sits away from the core. Just a little nudge, and you can be thrown backwards. You may have seen people on the trail with packs like these: they jerk with every step.

I mentioned that ED’s pack was not as heavy as other posters are thinking. She had ultralight gear. She evidently wasn’t carrying much food, so very little food weight. She may not have been carrying much water, expecting to re-supply at the refuge. I reckon the pack weighed max 25 lbs.

I mentioned the Osprey scooped pack design might make a person tip over if there was a stumble, trip, slip, or reach over water, but another way to have this happen, I suppose, would be while you were putting it on, especially if you flung it and didn’t lift the weight over your core. Suppose she got a little wild and unthinking while she put it on in a dangerous spot?

She might even have taken her pack off if she stopped to pee.... Some women do this.

Edited to correct for fact.

I am assuming she had a similar set-up to yours and that means she had to descend from the trail to the lake. It sounds easy, but I believe Montagnette Lake is the only nearby source of water (if she stayed on trail). She would have needed enough to go up to Sauvegard and then either back down to the trailhead or onward to the refuge. If she was using the "tie string

Is there water at the refuge? I'm very curious. I'm hoping someone knows. And whether people were melting snow for water before going onward.

Thank you so much for explaining the point about the air scoop (and what it does to the weight of the back). Personally, there's no way I could pee with anything but a lightweight pack. Esther had the yoga skills, so maybe 25 pounds wouldn't be too much for her.

How much water do you think she would have carried if her goal was the refuge that night?

I'm still confused about her two trips up that same, relatively accessible mountain when I thought her original plan was rather different.

In national park (US) research, going off trail to take a picture is one of the leading accident-causers for women. Sauvegarde does have a lot of picture-worthy spots along the trail.

Looking at her walking poles, we can see that her hand slips into the grip. The poles wouldn't necessarily be dropped if she slipped. In fact, she would probably hold onto them tighter to try to break her fall similar to skiers. If she had a full tumble, I would expect them to come off her hands at some point, but I doubt that a walking pole would be noticed from an air search.

(image posted upthread)

View attachment 275398

View attachment 275399

Both points well taken. I'm just thinking about the part of a bad fall where there's no way the falling person still has control of their hands. Getting tangled up in one's own poles, in addition to falling, would not be fun. I'm thinking of a more vertical fall, though. You're right - they likely wouldn't see a pole or two from the air. Indeed, entire persons have been missed from the air.

Presumably, though, if she fell right off the trail, on-ground searchers could see her in most spots? Unless she went into a crevasse or a lake (both of which have been suggested in MSM by rangers/searchers).

With respect I think I am correct on this :);). Both of those were on 22nd. They were taken at the same time of day once you allow for the fact they are facing opposite directions.

I can see now where the confusion may be, as the photos on Instagram of her on 21st are quite similar looking at first glance. But looking closer they are distinct due to the absence of pack, neckline etc. There is no pic on 21st on IG that I can see that features the pack/water tube. If I've missed that please show me.

I am SO sorry. Now I've looked at the necklines on 21st, you're right, they're different. Higher neck on 21st. I must've missed a memo. I'll edit my posts to avoid confusing people reading them!!

So... where did the second photo come from? Do we have a source?

This changes everything for me. The only thing that made me question whether Esther actually went up to the top on 22nd, was because I thought she'd sent yesterdays photo.

Thanks for explaining :)

I am SO sorry. Now I've looked at the necklines on 21st, you're right, they're different. Higher neck on 21st. I must've missed a memo. I'll edit my posts to avoid confusing people reading them!!

So... where did the second photo come from? Do we have a source?

This changes everything for me. The only thing that made me question whether Esther actually went up to the top on 22nd, was because I thought she'd sent yesterdays photo.

Thanks for explaining :)

No problem and you are very welcome, I'm starting to see double on this myself now o_O. There is so much information upthread now that it's all getting a bit confused.

Edit: re the second photo that just sort of appeared I think one one of the newspaper websites (Mail or Sun I think) and then got included on here. It threw me at first as I'd assumed Dan had only received one photo but it must have been two.

Pitching the tent along that trail would have required some judgment, that's for sure. The trail itself is relatively level, but people don't usually pitch tents right on a trail, as early morning hikers would be very inconvenienced by it (and I'm assuming it could be windy).

At any rate, it seems she never pitched her tent.

Snipped for focus

I don't have any evidence for an answer, but I wonder if ED tried to sleep out without a tent? This would be described as a bivouac.

Also, is the refuge on a spur trail? If so, in the dark, she might have hiked right by on the main trail. And maybe have gotten VERY confused.

Jeez this thread is a bit chaotic and I've probably caused part of it! I got so mixed up about the photos / dates, so have reported a few of my posts for mods to tidy up. Apologies if I misled anyone else along the way.

Really hope we get some proper clarification from LBT on Monday.

Looking at her walking poles, we can see that her hand slips into the grip. The poles wouldn't necessarily be dropped if she slipped. In fact, she would probably hold onto them tighter to try to break her fall similar to skiers. If she had a full tumble, I would expect them to come off her hands at some point, but I doubt that a walking pole would be noticed from an air search.

(image posted upthread)

View attachment 275398

View attachment 275399

For clarity, I'm not saying some poles don't come with loops on the handles. AFAIK all trekking poles have webbing loops on the handles. I'm saying hikers often don't use the loops for safety reasons.
I will say, though, that the poles in that photo of ED are the style usually used for nordic skiing. With that palm grip on them, ED might have been tempted to put them over her hands, but this would be exactly problematic in an accident. If they snagged on the "wrong" trailside feature, they'd quick as a wink jettison you off the trail. And You can't get them off quickly! And what if your hand broke?
[I am speaking from experience in this and other posts in this thread about gear. I own and use both these styles of poles myself: the X-country ski version and the hiking/trekking/trail running version.]

In both lenses, where the frame curves near her nose, does anyone see 1) a black labrador type dog with white lead around neck and 2) figure of a man, with short white hair ?

Attachments

• Pic de Sauvegarde 6d- 22.jpg
    Pic de Sauvegarde 6d- 22.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 579
“Her water pouch can be seen on the table in this photo posted on the 18th Nov -“

Thanks! I /knew/ I had seen a pic of her water pouch on the table but couldn’t find it ... it was added in the comments.

I am assuming she had a similar set-up to yours and that means she had to descend from the trail to the lake. It sounds easy, but I believe Montagnette Lake is the only nearby source of water (if she stayed on trail). She would have needed enough to go up to Sauvegard and then either back down to the trailhead or onward to the refuge. If she was using the "tie string

Is there water at the refuge? I'm very curious. I'm hoping someone knows. And whether people were melting snow for water before going onward.

Thank you so much for explaining the point about the air scoop (and what it does to the weight of the back). Personally, there's no way I could pee with anything but a lightweight pack. Esther had the yoga skills, so maybe 25 pounds wouldn't be too much for her.

How much water do you think she would have carried if her goal was the refuge that night?

I'm still confused about her two trips up that same, relatively accessible mountain when I thought her original plan was rather different.

In national park (US) research, going off trail to take a picture is one of the leading accident-causers for women. Sauvegarde does have a lot of picture-worthy spots along the trail.

A few questions. Let's give this a whirl. Your quotes in italics.

The "tie-string" jury-rig possibility raises my anxiety meter. But she might have tried it. I've tried it just once and soon got a clue. Picture this. You get a GREAT idea to get cleaner water from a lake by casting your bottle, on a string, to a nice deep, clear, section. Ha! The bottle floats! So, then what are you going to do? Frustrated and committed to that lip-smacking freshness, you do all kinds of things with your body, flap around, reach, break branches, wave your poles, magical incantations; you might even wade in.... just to get that bottle to sink so you can fill it with water and haul it to shore.

And if it's a squeezable bottle and not a hard plastic bottle, bwaahaha! You will look very funny indeed, 'cos it won't magically open itself and fill with water!

Personally, there's no way I could pee with anything but a lightweight pack. Esther had the yoga skills, so maybe 25 pounds wouldn't be too much for her.

No yoga skills required. Necessity is the mother of invention. :D

ED carries a Camelbak (or similar). As is likely, she has an Osprey Exos 58. This will fit a bladder of 3L.
Most women can only carry 2L in a bladder, because their backs are too short for a 3L bladder to fit in their packs.
For folks who aren't familiar, keep in mind, that water weighs approx. 2 lbs per liter.
If I were on ED's hike, I'd look ahead at where I'd be re-supplying water. If I'm going 3 hours, I might take just 2L. I'd also take a Gatorade (or some such) if it was a hot day. If I had a 3L capacity (I can't because my back is too short), I'd definitely take all 3 liters.
However, I would do all that keeping in mind my next re-supply. It sounds like for re-supply she'd have (1) back to town (2) to the refuge or (3) potentially a lake.

To me, it's alarming she tried to bum food off someone. This may indicate she was out of water or had just hear no water was available at the refuge. She might have tried to get some from a natural source.

While I'm answering this kind of question.....
Sometimes, folks assume you'd carry a lot of clothes to change into on a backpack trip. That would be VERY unwise. You would be unduly weighing yourself down for no purpose.
Consider this: You're wearing a set of very effective hiking clothes. Totally appropriate. You hike for a day, and they get stinky. But heck, you've brought another set. So you change into your other set. At the end of day two (more likely just an hour into the day 2 hike), whatcha got? 2 pairs of stinky clothes!
So, you generally take supplementary clothes, not more sets of the same thing (except for socks and one non-cotton under pants). The key is that you should be able to wear everything at the same time. In other words, you go for safety, not aroma. De rigueur would be long underwear (top and bottom); raingear (top and bottom); a spare synthetic shirt you can put under or over your hiking synthetic shirt; an insulated jacket (like down). And a light fleece. In ED's case, she would have had to have taken extra insulation for her legs (lycra tights are frigid) for safety.
That valley would be cold in the shadows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23