Special needs child "voted" out of classroom

Oh - my child has needs - just not anything to the degree of many others. She's speech delayed - we've finally got a word or so out of her - and, she's obviously very intelligent.

I agree - students need to be put in a track with others of similar educational levels - ideally without regard to grade or age (a child who is old enough for the 5th grade, but knows less than the 4th graders does not belong in the 5th grade - it only hurts them to fall further and further behind their classmates). It helps let everyone have a chance to shine, to not feel either intimidated by their classmates or bored by a class going too slow for them. You put a high achiever in an average class, and they'll tune out. You put a low achiever in with a class with high achievers, and they'll be intimidated, and decide they're no good at school so they shouldn't try. It's no good for anyone.

I'd love to see every grade level set up with at least 2 to 3 tracks, let students move between them as their grades and scores indicate they can handle.

But now, we're even more far afield.
Thanks Details. You definitely understand my view and the necessity for bringing back these old methods that were once so successful. Now if we can get those in authority to see the light, we may start having a more successful chance of having education back to the level of what it used to be.

You make a good point details but, who will decide which children are too severe to try and educate fully. Would you want to be the one to tell the parents of a severely disabled child there is not enough money for his or her education?

I also think it was obvious what that so-called poster was trying to say.

Hmmm. while I'm at it let me add this. Is it fair for a school district to fund sports and other activities if it cannot afford to fully educate ALL the children in that district?

St. Lucie teacher reassigned after student 'voted out' of class | Photos

By Colleen Wixon (Contact)
Originally published 10:12 a.m., May 27, 2008
Updated 06:30 p.m., May 27, 2008
Video

Watch »

Photo Gallery

Autistic boy voted out of class

Enlarge photos | View thumbnails
« prev | next »

PORT ST. LUCIE — Morningside Elementary kindergarten teacher Wendy Portillo has been reassigned until further action may be determined, according to St. Lucie County School District spokeswoman Janice Karst.
Last week, Portillo held a vote in her classroom in which kindergarten students "voted out" 5-year-old Alex Barton, who was in the process of being tested for Asperger's Disorder, a type of high-functioning autism. Alex's mother, Melissa Barton, said the vote was taken after classmates were allowed to tell Alex what they didn't like about him.
The class voted Alex out of the room, by a 14 to 2 margin.
Portillo was reassigned out of the classroom at the district offices on Friday, as soon as Schools Superintendent Michael Lannon heard about the incident, Karst said. She said it could be up to two weeks before the district's investigation on the matter is concluded.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/may/27/st-lucie-teacher-reassigned-after-student-voted-ou/

I just watched that video of the youngster. It looked like he was dunking a medal remote type toy truck into the swimming pool. Would it be normal for a parent to allow him to just ruin the toy without intervening?

What did these folks acomplish?

Some People With Learning Disabilities

Albert Einstein
Nelson Rockefeller
Galileo
Thomas Edison
Sylvester Stallone
Mozart
Gen. George Patton
Wright Brothers
Leonardo da Vinci
John F. Kennedy
Cher
Whoopi Goldberg
Bruce Jenner
Gen. Westmoreland
Tom Cruise
Eddie Rickenbacker
Charles Schwab
Henry Winkler
Harry Belafonte
Danny Glover
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Walt Disney
John Lennon
Robin Williams
Steve McQueen
Greg Louganis
Louis Pasteur

Do any other posters here who read the Cleveland Plain Dealer remember this case mentioned there a few years back? It concerned a child who was in a wheelchair, did not speak, had to be diapered, and may have been blind (not certain about that last part). She required a nurse/attendant. Her mother fought with the school board in her area and demanded an "education" for her daughter. To me, that was beyond all reason. There was no chance in this world that child was going to do anything productive in her life and it seems likely she was unaware of all the efforts in her behalf.(and I believe she may have died after the original article was written, tho again not certain). Perhaps someone in the Cleveland area may recall more details than I can.

As the grandmother of a child with Asperger's and bipolar disorder, I feel there are children who should be educated to the best of their abilities. Sometimes the distinctions are not at all subtle as to who should be educated, but the posters who said we can't lump everyone together and expect anyone at either end to benefit were absolutely right. Tracks may not be politically correct, but I think they would do a whole lot better than trying to run things right down the middle and benefitting very few in the process.

I just watched that video of the youngster. It looked like he was dunking a medal remote type toy truck into the swimming pool. Would it be normal for a parent to allow him to just ruin the toy without intervening?

I watched the video after reading your post.

I'm not sure the truck was a remote control. It very well could have been, but there were a few things that I saw that made me think it wasn't.

(If it was, then yeah the water would pretty much kill it.)

I did not see any antennae on the truck. Most R/C stuff I've seen has had a fairly visible antennae somewhere.

It seemed to float pretty easily in the water. Most R/C stuff I've dealt with has been heavier than a non-R/C toy.

If it was an R/C vehicle it may already have been broken. My kids have kept playing with numerous R/C toys for years after the mechanisms were broken.

Hard to say in my opinion.

Many of the "tracks" that are mentioned are supposed to be in place due to the No child left behind act. If your elementary school has more than one teacher per grade they should have a class for higher learning, then one for lower learning then one for remediation which is daily or several days a week depending on the childs needs. And BTW, it was that way when I went to elementary school 40 years ago. When you reach junior high and high school you are supposed to be placed by core test scores not by age and not by grade. It is supposed to be that way. If your childs school isn't doing this, then there is a problem.

Being in a lower level also has a stigma attached, especially in elementary school and it ain't pretty.

Just like holding a kid back, there is also an emotional element to putting kids ahead of their age group and a first grader may not be able to handle being put into a class of third graders. There is that pecking order that goes on and again, it ain't pretty.

You know, my son has a serious reading disability and was in remediation all through elementary school. I would have had a real hard time not clocking a parent who complained that my disabled kid was taking education away from their smart kid.

It would be normal for a normal parent of a normal child yes. I hate that word "normal". I feel kids have too many labels. Anyways, dealing with Autism and Aspergers is an entirely different deal and the typical rules and approach doesn't apply.

ETA: I know alot of little boys that are "normal" and do the same type of thing.

a metal remote type of car would sink. the truck floats. it is normal for boys that age to do stuff like that without a thought to damage of a item. if it had been a expensive remote car it would not be normal for the parents to allow it. if it is what it appears to me (a cheap plastic truck that floats) it would be normal for a parent to allow a child to float the toy in the pool.

This country and the states spend MILIONS on special education children and behavior disordered children.

Most of these children will never be accountable for the money that has been spent on them. They won't be able to handle a regular job. They won't be paying taxes. THey will probably be on some type of government program for the rest of their lives.

The government forces school districts to spend this money on them while the regular education child gets textbooks, supplies, and other things cut in their classroom.

I know this post is going to anger many people here, but what I say is true.

In the future when other countries have more intelligent people than we do, we'll realize that we have been dumbed down by rules that should be modified.
HOW DARE YOU .

I pay taxes as well as anyone elese that works. My son deserves to have schooling as well as anyone elese. I DEMAND good quality schooling for my son just like I do for my daughter.

HOW DARE YOU say who will or wont grow up to have a Job ect.

It's a sad day that we have to FIGHT to the nail to get our special needs children in a good school and around teachers that won't abuse them.

HELL it's sad that we have to fight for ANY children to have quality schooling with good teachers.

My Husband and I both pay taxes just like anyone elese.( which pay for the schooling) We don't live off the state and the state does not take care of my handicap child.

Matter of fact we had to move to a town that is way above our income just so our son could have a school that would be right for him. 3 times our income in fact. My husband now has to work 3 jobs just to give our son the same chance as other children receive. My daughter btw was treated very well at the other school in the city we used to live in ( she is not handicap)

We should not have to worry about our handicap son's coming home in a Skort( a skirt that has shorts under) being tied down to a chair with a sheet if he repeats a naughty word from another student or teacher( he could not even answer questions just repeated what was said to him) being not feed as the teachers are eatting his lunch and being left in a ball pit all day because THEY don't have faith in him.

BTW we home schooled my son until we was able to find him a new school. He now talks :) Eats normal food ( not just a few things) and walks with and withOUT his braces. He can now use a modified walker and answer many questions.

Not bad for a child that was at one time 1 pound 10 oz . Not bad for a child that is Blind in both eyes, has Cerebral Palsy and autism. Not bad for a child that all teachers gave up on.

Atleast I can now say he is in a very good school that loves him and makes sure he continues to learn everyday. A school that see's that no child should be given up on ( to bad I can't say the same for you)

I will fight everyday of my life to make sure my child has everything he deserves . He has a chance at life.

OH and I guarantee you my son will have a job one of these days and he will leave a mark on this world that most will never forget.

I have and will never give up on my son.. It is sad that most of the world has

NaNaRosebud, please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you've previously stated here at WS that you are a teacher and have taught spec ed children or children with behavior issues? I truly don't understand your comment which says (to me) that we are wasting money on these children!

I think perhaps another thread should be opened if we continue the discussion about this aspect, frankly.

oh my gosh! please tell me your kidding! :( how scary for the children he or she teaches

my daughter was a special needs child as she has dyslexia. one of her teachers kept telling her she'd never get anywhere in life. i fought with the school board to put her in a different school and with kids her own age with special needs. once she was put there she was on the honor roll thru her high school years. she's now in college and has a 3.8 average doing double majors to become an optomitrist. so much for that teacher saying she'll never get anywhere. yeah she still has trouble spelling it just doesn't click in her head but she's extremely intelligent and even with the trouble with spelling a 3.8 average isn't too bad...

one proud mom of a special needs child (adult now)
WTG to your daughter!

OH btw. You better come up with a way to screen children and see the future Because some of them "nomral" children will end up druggies, end up killing others, end up living off the state for the rest of their lives.

Hell we better just stop sending any child to school. I mean after all there is a chance any child will grow up and live off the goverment and state.

You make a good point details but, who will decide which children are too severe to try and educate fully. Would you want to be the one to tell the parents of a severely disabled child there is not enough money for his or her education?

I also think it was obvious what that so-called poster was trying to say.

Hmmm. while I'm at it let me add this. Is it fair for a school district to fund sports and other activities if it cannot afford to fully educate ALL the children in that district?
The difficulty in telling a parent the truth can't be a consideration. I'd be quite willing to indeed tell that truth, when it is a truth. However - the decision is actually simpler than that. We set up the special education classes that we can reasonably afford. The children attend. If a child cannot attend - that's where the decision is made. If they can attend - whether or not we, the school district, or anyone thinks they are learning - then let them attend - no different than any other student that we are not sure if they are learning or not. Only if they are too disruptive, or have medical issues that otherwise make it unsafe, should they be told they cannot go (not by a teacher having a class vote, but by appropriate discussions, multiple tries, trying a lower level class, etc. to try to make it work).

Oh - and, yeah, I'd say no serious money on sports (physical education is important and worth it - but the football stadium, etc. - not unless it completely pays for itself, the coach, and every related expense - and even then - the school should not be in the ticket selling business, they should be in the education business!) unless they have it entirely to spare. I definitely agree there. School is there to educate our children - not help a few indulge a dream of becoming football stars, parents live out their fantasies, etc.

Wow Nana, that is way out of line. I was going to respond but now I feel the post was so bad it was a joke. If that is the way you feel then no post is going to change your mind.

I don't see how anyone could really complain about special needs kids costing schools so much money. Any speech, occupational, and maybe even a special aide is paid for if the kid is on Medicaid. My grandson only goes to the resource room for a little while for extra help with his writing. He's still not able to properly tie his shoes, write well, or pick up small objects but he loves music and was bought an electric guitar and his taking guitars lessons and working with his hands. He will definitely grow up to have a job and so will his brother with the horrible behavior problems if we can ever get a dr. to listen to us that something is wrong besides ADD. As far a those with cerebral palsy, the director of a headstart here has pretty bad c.p. and he does a great job and the kids love him. His education got him this job. These folks need all the education and confidence they can get so they can live a better life and be able to deal with their problems as they grow older in a world where only the smartest, most gifted, and most beautiful seem to count more than others. These other kids by the way, can get into gifted, honors and magnet schools if their parents want the very best for their particular needs.

_All_ students benefit from more special assistance - an average child with no particular interest in education can blossom with a bit of attention from the right teacher - or wither and give up without it. The more we ask each teacher to do, the bigger the class size, the less the resources, the less likely any of those students get that experience of having a teacher help them.

The smartest and most gifted - yeah, I think it's in all of our best interests to nurture them - but at least they have a better chance of helping themselves when we fail to help them. The average child, not recognized for being exceptional nor for needing more help - too often they get passed over - and they'll make a lot of our society.

I don't see how anyone could really complain about special needs kids costing schools so much money.

Talk to my stupid school district. They think Special Ed is one of the reasons they are in deficit spending.

At one point, I had a senior English class that had a WIDE variety of abilities. There were special education students and honors students in the same class due to a scheduling snafu that could not be fixed. (It was a small school.) The IQs literally ranged from 50 to 150+. It was one of the most challenging classes I've ever taught. One of the "honors" students in particular acted like a punk in the beginning because he was "so much better than the other kids." Finally, I kept him after school and told him that he had a lot more lessons to learn about being a human being than English. As far as I was concerned, he had what English he needed for college, now it was time for some life lessons. That worked for him. He became one of the most helpful students I've had. He tutored the others and rejoiced with them when they learned or accomplished something. All students in that class passed the Georgia High School Graduation Test in English--even the one with the 50 IQ. :) We were a community of learners.

On the other hand, I have been frustrated by some main-streaming. :truce: For example, one child, who was "normal" (hate that word) until she was two (her mother bashed her head repeatedly against a sink in a public restroom), is severely disabled. She can walk and feed herself, but that is about it. I love her to death--BUT she barks, yells and cries VERY loudly. She does not talk and you can't reason with her. She has a full-time para-professional, which is appropriate, but I don't feel her presence in my English class was appropriate. Teach her living skills so that she can be as productive and independent as possible. Teach her how to communicate in some small way. DON'T put her in a classroom expecting her to have a clue about the American Romantic period in literature and the fact that Natty Bumppo was the first American literary hero. It's totally worthless for her, and she disrupts the learning of others who already have enough difficulties with the learning disabilities they face.

There, I'm off my soapbox and hiding behind it.
FIRE AWAY!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynichick
Back