State v. Bradley Cooper 5-2-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
See my comments in red above.

I know your points have been discussed at great length on the forum and are likely what the folks that think Brad is NG believe. I believe however that this is all the evidence that makes me think he is guilty and beyond a reasonable doubt!! Your arguments for most of the points just do not hold much water for me. When the prosecuters present their case they will have to hit home these facts. We will see what the jury believes.

Did anyone else notice HP, KL, and Det Young laughing and smiling when the State rested as if it was a big joke? I am sure that was not lost on the Jury.

I know your points have been discussed at great length on the forum and are likely what the folks that think Brad is NG believe. I believe however that this is all the evidence that makes me think he is guilty and beyond a reasonable doubt!! Your arguments for most of the points just do not hold much water for me. When the prosecuters present their case they will have to hit home these facts. We will see what the jury believes.

That's fair. We all have our opinions on here. I respect yours.

One thing that I find missing in the Prosecution case is the absence of a "trigger event".

We're told he got mad about the separation agreement, but that was 3 months before her death.
We're told he was reading her e-mails, but not one e-mail was presented (especially from close to July 11) that could have incited him to violence.

We were told that nobody that knew Brad considered Nancy to be in any danger - not Nancy, not her family, not her closest friends. There was no history of violence either directed at Nancy or in other areas of Brad's personal life. Detective Daniels would have us believe that he finally "got fed up", but even if it wasn't a single event that night what cumulative things from the previous 10 days enraged him? Their marriage had been highly strained for six months, but two weeks before she died, he was calling her daily while she was at the beach (even if just to check on the kids - that's alot).

I'm haunted by what I find missing in the prosecution's case, and for me that's where they've failed to meet their burden of proof for me.

I agree that there are too many things that have to be "explained away" with excuses that in many instances are just not reasonable under the circumstances. The one thing that I would add to your points is regarding the sports bra; it was rolled in the back in the manner that occurs when the bra is put on.

I'm watching the video now. It's interesting that JG didn't even know the case law about offering 2nd degree when both sides don't request it. He had to research that while sitting at the bench. That surprises me. Did he expect one of them planned to request it, or???

One thing that I find missing in the Prosecution case is the absence of a "trigger event".

We're told he got mad about the separation agreement, but that was 3 months before her death.
We're told he was reading her e-mails, but not one e-mail was presented (especially from close to July 11) that could have incited him to violence.

We were told that nobody that knew Brad considered Nancy to be in any danger - not Nancy, not her family, not her closest friends. There was no history of violence either directed at Nancy or in other areas of Brad's personal life. Detective Daniels would have us believe that he finally "got fed up", but even if it wasn't a single event that night what cumulative things from the previous 10 days enraged him? Their marriage had been highly strained for six months, but two weeks before she died, he was calling her daily while she was at the beach (even if just to check on the kids - that's alot).

I'm haunted by what I find missing in the prosecution's case, and for me that's where they've failed to meet their burden of proof for me.

The trigger point might have been her reaction when she got home. The call to her dad says a lot. She was beyond pissed. So I can see her absolutely laying into him and giving him pure hell about the state of the house. Speculation on my part....but given his relative peace the couple of weeks before, it could have been a trigger.

I agree that there are too many things that have to be "explained away" with excuses that in many instances are just not reasonable under the circumstances. The one thing that I would add to your points is regarding the sports bra; it was rolled in the back in the manner that occurs when the bra is put on.

Actually, FullDisclosure has pointed out that through her re-enactment, her sports bra rolled up that way while being dragged.

I've asked her to post video proof of this, but she declined. :floorlaugh:

About 20 years ago I spent $200.00 having extensions done to my hair. It was a pretty new and exciting 'hair thing' at the time. My own hair was strawberry blonde and the extensions were just a bit lighter. Not a person in my family noticed that my hair was 6" longer than normal and much, much fuller. I had to end up pointing it out at the dinner table that night. I found out then that men, and kids, don't pay attention to many things.
So the dress issue in this case was not very important to me either. Since she was seen in the HT video with the black cover-up dress, I can understand why Brad thought it was the same one she was wearing at the party.

Dad shaved his beard off..this was no small beard...after 2 days of sulking around the house he exploded in anger...I guess we should have been more attentive

The trigger point might have been her reaction when she got home. The call to her dad says a lot. She was beyond pissed. So I can see her absolutely laying into him and giving him pure hell about the state of the house. Speculation on my part....but given his relative peace the couple of weeks before, it could have been a trigger.

Yeah, but she came home Tuesday. This was three days later.

Actually, FullDisclosure has pointed out that through her re-enactment, her sports bra rolled up that way while being dragged.

I've asked her to post video proof of this, but she declined. :floorlaugh:

The image that I got when she described it as being rolled under if being dragged (which I would expect) is different than what the witness described as being twisted.

First-time poster, long-time lurker.

I've followed this trial since the day Nancy went missing because Lochmere is only minutes from my home. I'm comfortable saying that most, if not all, of the people in this area believed that Brad committed this murder due to the information put forth by the media and the individuals surrounding this case. I talked to my sister-in-law several weeks ago about the developments in this case and she said, "Wasn't he caught buying bleach at 4am the morning she disappeared?"

That was in the media at the time and that false rumor spread like wildfire throughout the community. So even if Brad is found not guilty, there will be a likely uproar because people haven't followed the case closely and simply believed what was spoon fed to them in those first couple of weeks.

But after following this trial in its entirety, my long held belief that Brad is guilty has been replaced with absolute embarrassment by the actions of the Cary police and the Wake County DA's office. I do not think Brad committed this crime the way the prosecution has laid it out. Did he kill Nancy? I really don't know, but if I was a jury member on this trial, there is no way I could deliver a guilty verdict.

Living in this area for as long as I have, it's no surprise that NC's friends were able to push the police investigation in a particular direction. But the complete ineptitude of the police's handling of evidence along with the prosecution's inability to deliver a coherent argument has been baffling to me.

The google map search and the router in use at 10:21pm on the 11th are the only pieces of evidence that have me questioning whether or not Brad did it, and one of those is corrupted and the other was not admitted into evidence. The duck fiasco was laughable and she wasn't wearing the necklace that she always wore on the 11th.

I feel horrible for NC and her friends and family, but being the father of two small children, a greater disservice would be to find Brad guilty without any legitimate evidence other than marital strife and leave those children with the unimaginable burden of a dead mother and an imprisoned father convicted of killing her.

Long-time Lurker here, as well. This is a great post! :goodpost:

My "gut feeling" when I first heard about this was that BC did NOT do it. I have no idea why I felt that way, but I certainly haven't changed my mind since. :truce: (My gut also told me that the Duke LaCrosse boys were innocent.) On the other hand, my gut tells me that JY and JA did indeed kill their wives. :twocents:

One thing I have learned from this trial is to not trust the info that the media puts out. I will probably follow the JY and JA trials, too.

Okay, back to lurking.... :coffeews:

The image that I got when she described it as being rolled under if being dragged (which I would expect) is different than what the witness described as being twisted.

Well once again, I'm going to have to ask that she post the video so we can judge for ourselves.

Long-time Lurker here, as well. This is a great post! :goodpost:

My "gut feeling" when I first heard about this was that BC did NOT do it. I have no idea why I felt that way, but I certainly haven't changed my mind since. :truce: (My gut also told me that the Duke LaCrosse boys were innocent.) On the other hand, my gut tells me that JY and JA did indeed kill their wives. :twocents:

One thing I have learned from this trial is to not trust the info that the media puts out. I will probably follow the JY and JA trials, too.

Okay, back to lurking.... :coffeews:

Welcome to the forum. If you have thick enough skin, don't go back to lurking. But be careful, you might get addicted to this stuff.

About 20 years ago I spent $200.00 having extensions done to my hair. It was a pretty new and exciting 'hair thing' at the time. My own hair was strawberry blonde and the extensions were just a bit lighter. Not a person in my family noticed that my hair was 6" longer than normal and much, much fuller. I had to end up pointing it out at the dinner table that night. I found out then that men, and kids, don't pay attention to many things.
So the dress issue in this case was not very important to me either. Since she was seen in the HT video with the black cover-up dress, I can understand why Brad thought it was the same one she was wearing at the party.

Red wine more likely would not be very obvious on a black garment. Did that dress in HT video ever show up? Did it have evidence of a stain? Did BC say he washed the "stained" dress?

Red wine more likely would not be very obvious on a black garment. Did that dress in HT video ever show up? Did it have evidence of a stain? Did BC say he washed the "stained" dress?

He said she complained about the dress she was wearing at the party. So it had to be the blue/green dress since that is what she was wearing.

So you believe that there was a conspiracy in the DA's office to frame BC with the google map search. Wow. Note I left out the CPD because they couldn't unlock a cellphone without screwing it up...clearly no expertise. So are you saying the FBI guy from Durham did it? Quite a charge.
No I am not saying that the FBI guy did it or the DA's office. The FBI guy didn't impress me in the slightest. He obviously ignored the identical time stamps. It would most likely had to have been done during the 27 hours it was powered up at the Cooper's house which would imply that someone from the Keyst....I mean from CPD did it. Yes this seems unlikely considering what you said above. However they could have recruited someone else to do it. I really don't know who might have done it - only that it certainly looks like it was tampered with. If I recall the defense computer forensics guy said there was no legitimate chain of custody where the laptop was concerned. If this is the case it could have happened at any time before they made the copy the defense received and I have no idea when that would have been.

We have had a number of posts about witnesses looking either at the jury or at the prosecutors when answering questions. Speculation usually follows regarding meaning.

Based on the position of the camera in the courtroom, I think almost all are to the prosecution and just a few further around to the jurors. How did it look to those of you who were there in person?

So you believe that there was a conspiracy in the DA's office to frame BC with the google map search. Wow. Note I left out the CPD because they couldn't unlock a cellphone without screwing it up...clearly no expertise. So are you saying the FBI guy from Durham did it? Quite a charge.

Concerning the Cell phone wipe -- I am not so sure it was done due to technical incompetence. How intelligent does one have to be to not enter the same wrong code 10X especially when you are explicitly warned that the phone will be erased if you enter the wrong code again. Also there is the matter of the erased SIM card. Again it appears that someone entered the wrong code 10 additional times to erase this. I don't recall the state ever addressing this little gem. I think there was something there that would have blown their entire theory out of the water. We have at lease 3 instances of electronic media being tampered with. This can't be ignored and makes the entire investigation suspect.

It occurs to me as people point to CPD and say they did a horrible job, are inept, incompetent, etc, etc, that the DA allowed the case to go forward with an arrest after agreeing to take the case to the grand jury, 3 months after the murder. Contrast that with the Jason Young case, in which this same DA made the PD go back and do more investigating/digging and waiting for more evidence, for 3 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get