Physical Description​

Estimated Age: 30-40 years old
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Three maxillary teeth had gold caps on them.

Identifiers​

Dentals: Available. Three maxillary teeth had gold caps on them.
Fingerprints: Unavailable
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: Garter and girdle set were the only items found with the body. They were the brand "Hollywood Vassarette".
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery​

Partial remains with soft tissues of a female decedent found on the shore of Stinson Beach. She is estimated to have been deceased approximately one year.

Investigating Agency(s)​

Agency Name: Marin County Sheriff's Office - Coroner Division
Agency Contact Person: Alexandra Torres
Agency Phone Number: 415-473-6043
Agency E-Mail: atorres@marinsheriff.org
Agency Case Number: 72-193

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 17773

Stinson Beach had a lot of well known Bay Area musicians living and/or recording there around that time.
Notably, Janis Joplin was "discovered" playing a club there by Clive Davis. Her ashes were scattered there in 1970. Jerry Garcia moved there in 1971. Not suggesting any musicians had anything to do with this, but maybe the UID was drawn there by the Stinson Beach music and bar scene.

No ruleouts in NamUs.

I know she is also listed on the GG bridge suicide thread, but would she really have gotten dressed up to jump off a bridge? Or would this have been considered a casual outfit back then?
I wish we knew how some of her limbs were removed from her body. Were the wounds clean cut or did it appear to that they were caused by ocean life?

In 1972 most American women of a certain age, maybe late teens to late 20s had experienced the trend toward feminism that entailed things like going braless, engaging in protests, trying to live a natural life without bowing to the expectations of a man's ideal woman. So for me, based on what she is wearing, I think this woman is probably on the upper edge of the age limit.

Older women still wore girdles and garter belts. Vassarette, according to American Brands was considered the Victoria's Secret of intimate apparel back in the 60s and 70s but its brand was declining due to the change in social mores. It seems strange to me to wear both a girdle and a garter belt since girdles were manufactured with the clips to hold up hosiery. Especially since pantyhose were very popular due to the short skirts of the 60s.

I wonder if it's possible she was wearing other clothing that disintegrated while in the water, especially if the body was rolling in surf and being battered by rocks. Google images show Stinson Beach is absolutely beautiful with miles of sand but just south of where she was found is very rocky with steep cliffs. A natural fibre like cotton will decompose within five months in salt water, linen in about 2 weeks. Polyesters and nylon can take a century or more to decompose.

I wonder if the missing limbs are related to being tumbled by the surf and rocks for several months and sea life activity rather than dismemberment. I'd like to know where the gold caps were on her teeth. From a purely cosmetic point of view I'd think back then the gold caps would be further back on the molars rather than front teeth. Was the rest of the skeleton intact to ascertain whether she had given birth or been pregnant at any time during her lifetime?

Almost every UID that I've followed and who have ultimately been identified, none of them were ever reported missing. At least a lot of the older cases. Whether that was because of family dynamics, lack of family or reluctance of LE to report someone as missing, assuming the person had left of their own volition. Sometimes I wonder whether for every person on Namus and/or the DoeNetwork there are ten more never reported missing.

Based on the remnants of clothing on the body, I'm going with the deceased is an older woman probably in her 40s to 50s. It's possible someone in their 30s might be wearing a girdle. Here are a few possibilities of missing women in CA.

Shirley Frew was 48 years old when she went missing. She had an car accident involving a train when younger resulting in injuries to her legs. I think her granddaughter was on another WS UID thread a few years ago. I can't remember which one, but she did say her grandmother wore dentures which doesn't jibe with this UID.

Verna Smith was 49 years old when she went missing in 1968. She had auburn hair.

Mary Corrine Amos was 36 years old when she went missing in 1968. She had auburn hair and an upper dental plate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back