student kills self after webcam spying UPDATE: Conviction Overturned

Does anyone know if you can watch this anywhere on the Iphone? Thanks!

I only have the NJ 12 link below

http://www.news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?articleId=308848&position=1&news_type=news

but they have a note "We apologize - this stream is not available on iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch devices" This is a smaller, local NJ news channel....

Try searching around the abc site, they were streaming the trial last week - but I have not been on their site watching via their links. thttp://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/live-news-6105570

Playing Ravi's police interview now (audio / video) for jury.

IMO, its not good for Ravi, clearly not truthful and lying to LE about his actions and how the events transpired.

I can't guarantee that everything below is correct - I did the best I could (they talk very fast and I will never be a court stenographer) - below are some the questions and answers....

Ravi is read his rights before the interview starts.

LE: Did you violate this man's privacy? Ravi: Yes

LE: Did you do this deliberately? Ravi: No

LE: Did you set your computer up to spy on Tyler? Ravi: No

LE: Did you set this up because you knew that the man (MB) was coming back and you wanted to stream it? Ravi: No

LE: Why was your video chat live if you were not there (in your room)? Ravi: I did not know it would turn on.

LE: You texted Molly and asked “did you tell them (LE) about Tuesday night”
Ravi: I’m not trying to deceive you – its just the way we talk

Ravi: I did not get home from Frisbee practice till 11:30 and I could not access my computer - I dont know what it(computer) was doing

LE: When did you last video chat?
Ravi: I moved the camera back the next day - from the bed to facing me at my desk

LE asks Ravi over and over - is there anything else we need to know about this. The truth will come out and now is the time to be truthful.

LE: Are we going to discover anything in your computer forestics that will be different from what you have told us? Ravi: No

LE: We will get to the bottom of this with or without you. We are taking your phone today and need your computer. I am giving you a copy of the search warrant.

LE: I would rather this come from you
Ravi: We were just joking around (re the tweets), I disabled it (computer) so that no one could view it.

LE: Just to be fair, you were hosting a viewing party- the people in your dorm and Molly said you were doing this
Ravi: no one actually did anything

LE: Did you text everyone to tell about Tyler and what he was doing
Ravi: No

Ravi's father is now at the police station, and wants Ravi to have attorney. LE stops the interview.

Playing Ravi's police interview now (audio / video) for jury.

IMO, its not good for Ravi, clearly not truthful and lying to LE about his actions and how the events transpired.

I think so too. I have been watching this a couple of weeks and I think it is an open and shut case. I don't know how they can put on a defense at all. I think he did it because his roommate was gay, but only because he was curious to see two men in a comprimising situation. I don't think this was bullying. jmo

Get a box of tissues. :cry:

Letters to My Brother

lettersToMyBrotherx633.jpg

http://www.out.com/news-commentary/2012/02/01/tyler-clementi-james-letters-my-brother

That was sooooo heartbreaking.

I think so too. I have been watching this a couple of weeks and I think it is an open and shut case. I don't know how they can put on a defense at all. I think he did it because his roommate was gay, but only because he was curious to see two men in a comprimising situation. I don't think this was bullying. jmo

If Ravi was the only one watching I might go along with the curious part - but he set this up for others to view - twice.

I try and not read other sites, especially the NJ 12 comments section (it brings down the entire State of NJ’s IQ). I read posts where people wrote they think the State is reaching on the bias
intimadation charges, and that Ravi is a jerk, but nothing more. I ask anyone - if this situation is not bullying – then what is?

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullying"]Bullying - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Bullying is a form of aggressive behavior manifested by the use of force or coercion to affect others, particularly when the behavior is habitual and involves an imbalance of power. It can include verbal harassment, physical assault or coercion and may be directed repeatedly towards particular victims, perhaps on grounds of race, religion, gender, sexuality, or ability.[2][3] The "imbalance of power" may be social power and/or physical power. The victim of bullying is sometimes referred to as a "target".

Actions have consequenses.

Dharun Ravi is a pathological liar and not even a good one.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/03/rutgers_webcam_trial_ravi_dele.html

Rutgers webcam trial: Ravi deleted dozens of text messages from cell phone, expert says

Huang spoke Monday about text messages from Ravi that told her he was "creeped out" after seeing his roommate kissing a man, and that his computer would "keep the gays away." He also spoke of a viewing party in the Rutgers dormitory to watch his roommate a second time.

Ravi deleted 55 text messages between himself and Huang between Sept. 18 and 23, Torissi said.

Ravi sent a text apologizing and telling Tyler he knew he was gay and had no problem with it. I think it was just over dramatic gossipy immature behavior. If Ravi had really wanted to harass Tyler he would have recorded it, imo.

Court starts a little after 10. Chain of evidence testimony. Stipulation read into record (re who paid for Ravi's phone service-paid for by R Square and his father is an officer of the company). Prosecution publishes exhibits to jury. Prosecution rests before 11:00. Jury sent home for the day while they do routine "court stuff" LOL.

So far, the first 5 witness for the DT are Indian, middle-aged male family friends who know Rava through his father.

All stated that they never heard Ravi say anything negative about homosexuals (DT question), but also stated that they never had conversations about homosexuality with Ravi (PT question).

So far, the first 5 witness for the DT are Indian, middle-aged male family friends who know Rava through his father.

All stated that they never heard Ravi say anything negative about homosexuals (DT question), but also stated that they never had conversations about homosexuality with Ravi (PT question).

thanks for the update. :)

I just saw the count was up to 7 witnesses saying the same thing...seems a bit odd - even if the friends were his age, it wouldn't mean much to me that he didn't say anything about his feelings about homosexuality but his father's friends? seems like an odd choice of people to put on the stand IMHO..I'd be unimpressed as a juror...

I am not sure how much that helps. People aren't going to put much weight into it, since one doesn't expect that a teenager would talk to middle aged males and tell them his opinions.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/03/family_friends_of_dharun_ravi.html

Seven of Dharun Ravi's family friends testified this morning that they've never heard the former Rutgers student say anything derogatory about gay people or homosexuality. But on cross-examination, the seven friends and work associates of Ravi's father said they had never actually discussed the topic with Ravi.

I could only catch bits of the hearing today... but everyone of these witnesses said the same thing and it was odd that the DT chose them. Where was Ravi's supposed gay friend he mentioned in his texts to Tyler that could speak of Ravi's feelings towards this subject?

So far, I'm not impressed with Ravi's attorney's, specifically Steve Altman, who appears to be combative and argumentative with witnesses, in front of the jury, but basically makes no points towards Ravi's defense.

Morning testimony included a third attempt by Ravi's attorney's, Steve Altman, for a mistrial, re: a Brady violation caused by the PT when they failed to turn over evidence, specific to the investigator/PT not advising the defense about two "witnesses" who's names were found on one of Ravi's group lists. These two witnesses claimed to the investigator that they knew nothing, which ended the interview. DT claimed they could have could have further interviewed these two "witness" to determine if that was true.

Judge is now sternly speaking to both PT & DT about number of sidebar requests in front of jury.

Judge is now ruling and, of course Tru TV, goes to commercial - grrrhhhh!!!!

ETA: Judge denied mistrial on the Brady violation

DT is now focusing on the investigators failure to examine/secure the cell phone records of Lokesh Ojha. (I believe that Lokesh originally denied any involvement in this case, but was found to have lied, as it was later discovered that Lokesh had assisted Ravi with testing the 2nd video chat set up)

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03...et-to-testify-in-rutgers-webcam-spying-trial/

...there was a web chat between his computer (Ravi's) and Lokesh Ojha’s at 6:58 p.m. that evening, and another with Alissa Agarwal starting 46 minutes later. Both those students testified that Ravi showed them how they could use a web chat program to see what was happening in his room.

Net flow analysis suggested that "something" came from Alissa Agarwal's room.

Defense has rested its case at around 11:45 - and Dharun Ravi did not testify.

The PT is not putting on a rebuttal case.

The Jury will be dismissed for the rest of the day. The judge is reviewing certain evidence, and then will prepare his jury instructions. Tomorrow, the DT (first) and then PT will present their closing arguments, which means that the jury could also begin their deliberations tomorrow.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myauris11
Back