student kills self after webcam spying UPDATE: Conviction Overturned

RIP Tyler :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

tyler-clementi-ravi-b2643.jpg

So if he's deported, what does India do? Does he go to prison there or is he free to do whatever he wants?

So if he's deported, what does India do? Does he go to prison there or is he free to do whatever he wants?

I don't think he'd be deported from the US until such time as he has served whatever his sentence is to be here. At that time, if he is deported, why would India have any restrictions placed on him upon his return?

IMO

I don't think he'd be deported from the US until such time as he has served whatever his sentence is to be here. At that time, if he is deported, why would India have any restrictions placed on him upon his return?

IMO

ITA!

The Judge had already told him if he was convicted he would give him jail time. So whatever sentence the Judge hands down he will serve that time and then after he is released the Feds will step in to have him deported back to India, imo.

JMO

IMO

Read my post #577. It says the US deports most convicted criminals and he could be deported after sentencing. IMO he will be deported. Not sure what India will do with him though - legally speaking. Do they lock him up?

ITA!

The Judge had already told him if he was convicted he would give him jail time. So whatever sentence the Judge hands down he will serve that time and then after he is released the Feds will step in to have him deported back to India, imo.

JMO

I didn't know the Judge said that. hmmmm

Read my post #577. It says the US deports most convicted criminals and he could be deported after sentencing. IMO he will be deported. Not sure what India will do with him though - legally speaking. Do they lock him up?

They could deport him but I think they are going to wait until he serves his sentence.

They can also do that too.

IMO

RIP Tyler :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

tyler-clementi-ravi-b2643.jpg

It has always been about what happened to Tyler; I hope he is now at Peace. His family has had to endure so much because of Ravi's actions and now he must pay for those actions. I hope this will be the end of such aberrant behavior but, sadly, there will be more. :(

Tyler and Matthew Shepard both paid the ultimate price because of others' homophobic behavior; they did not die in vain. There are younger children now who will be a bit safer because of the verdict today and the verdict against Matthew's murderers.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Shepard"]Matthew Shepard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

While Tyler's death was tragic, I don't think we've been allowed to know the full story. The hate crimes legislation was enacted as a reaction to Tyler's suicide and now I believe Ravi is a victim of that emotional wave. A respected friend of mine put it this way:
"...It has caused me to rethink the whole hate crime concept and it is really hard, at least for me, to find the reasonable middle ground in such things.

The law is better suited to regulate behavior (ie illegal to d)o things that harm other people. Those things are tangible and can be demonstrated with evidence.

It is akwardly suited at best to regulate motivation. People are complex beings that sometimes act rationally, sometimes not, may be mature in one situation and act differently in another depending on who is present. etc etc etc . People may say one thing and do another. Someone may talk about hating gays and never try to harm someone and someone else may never talk about it and try to harm someone. How do you demonstrate what specific thoughts motivated someone to act a certain way?"

I don't feel this is justice in any way. I feel for Tyler's family but Tyler was fragile for other reasons.

While Tyler's death was tragic, I don't think we've been allowed to know the full story. The hate crimes legislation was enacted as a reaction to Tyler's suicide and now I believe Ravi is a victim of that emotional wave. A respected friend of mine put it this way:
"...It has caused me to rethink the whole hate crime concept and it is really hard, at least for me, to find the reasonable middle ground in such things.

The law is better suited to regulate behavior (ie illegal to d)o things that harm other people. Those things are tangible and can be demonstrated with evidence.

It is akwardly suited at best to regulate motivation. People are complex beings that sometimes act rationally, sometimes not, may be mature in one situation and act differently in another depending on who is present. etc etc etc . People may say one thing and do another. Someone may talk about hating gays and never try to harm someone and someone else may never talk about it and try to harm someone. How do you demonstrate what specific thoughts motivated someone to act a certain way?"

I don't feel this is justice in any way. I feel for Tyler's family but Tyler was fragile for other reasons.

bbm.....this statement and other evidence absolutely showed his motivation to act a certain way.

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. — A former Rutgers University student sent a message to a friend about wanting to “keep the gays away” and urged her to watch a feed from a webcam that he had trained on a bed where he expected his roommate to have a tryst with another man, according to text messages shown in court on Monday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/06/nyregion/dharun-ravi-wrote-of-wanting-to-keep-gays-away.html

The criminals are deported after they serve their sentence, not after sentencing.

THE VERDICT BREAKDOWN

COUNT 2
3rd Degree Bias Intimidation
(For 4th Degree Invasion of Privacy charge on Sept. 19)

• Invasion of Privacy with the purpose to intimidate Tyler Clementi because of sexual orientation: ACQUITTED

• Invasion of Privacy with the purpose to intimidate M.B. because of sexual orientation: ACQUITTED

• Invasion of Privacy, knowing that the conduct constituting invasion of privacy would cause Tyler Clementi to be intimidated because of sexual orientation: ACQUITTED

• Invasion of Privacy, knowing that the conduct constituting invasion of privacy would cause M.B. to be intimidated because of sexual orientation: ACQUITTED

• Invasion of Privacy, under circumstances that caused Tyler Clementi to be intimidated, and considering the manner in which the offense was committed, Clementi reasonably believed that he was selected to be the target of the offense because of sexual orientation: GUILTY

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/03/ravi_webcam_trial_verdict.html

TigerBalm, respectfully snipped for content, BBM.

Thank you for posting this!

I am listening to people calling in to HLN saying that they didn't understand how DR could be convicted of a hate crime. Yet, if you look at the language bolded above, TC was specifically chosen due to the fact that he was gay. So many people have complained that if it had been a woman, these charges would not have been brought, etc.

When the judge re-read these instructions to the jury, I could agree with the language in that statement. I have a feeling the jury could agree with it as well. Ergo: DR was guilty of a so-called hate crime as defined by New Jersey law.

In my teaching career, I had to constantly deal with bullying. I found there were essentially two kinds of bullies. There were those who used their physical superiority to beat their target into submission, and there were those who used their intelligence to bully. They don't get caught as often because they think they are intelligent enough to bully without making physical wounds.

It's a highly over-simplified version, but DR was one of the second type.

Not all hate crimes are physical. Some of the most insidious of hate crimes wound the spirit and the soul.

The criminals are deported after they serve their sentence, not after sentencing.

Post #577 contradicts what you just posted. With that said, oceanblueyes confirmed that the Judge told the accused what would happen if he was convicted when he refused the plea deal. The Judge's decision was already made prior to verdict and upcoming sentencing.

I have a couple of late questions. How did TC find out about the camera and the showing of what was going on? Did he confront RD or anyone? Did he tell anyone about it except the RA? If anyone knows thanks.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/03/juror_in_dharun_ravi_webcam_tr.html

Juror in Dharun Ravi webcam trial speaks out

He said decisions on the charges of witness tampering, evidence tampering and invasion of privacy were "easy" and "cut and dry," but the deliberations on the bias charges were more difficult. He estimated the panel deliberated for much more than one hour on the bias charges, but would not say how long.

"You can't know what someone's thinking. You have to get inside their head," he said. "Afterwards, you think about it not being done once, but being done twice another day. That's why we came to that conclusion."

Post #577 contradicts what you just posted. With that said, oceanblueyes confirmed that the Judge told the accused what would happen if he was convicted when he refused the plea deal. The Judge's decision was already made prior to verdict and upcoming sentencing.

US doesn't deport someone instead of prison. After they serve their sentence then they are deported. If he doesn't get any prison time then he could be deported after sentencing.

Beth Karas InSession

Ravi is out on $25,000 bail since his arrest. He surrendered his passport as a condition of bail months ago. The prosecutors did not ask for an increase in bail after the verdict. They agreed to let him go home. Prosecutors said they will consult with the Clementis and MB before making their sentencing recommendation on May 21.

https://www.facebook.com/BethKarasInsession

Thank you all for the updates -- been in meetings all morning! :)

I'm so glad he was convicted on the bias intimidation as well as the cover up and invasion of privacy. To me, their reasoning was sound from what I read above and would have been what I would have done.

I think this case is going to set an important precedent...I hope Tyler's family and MB have some peace with this verdict. I hope Tyler is watching from above...

So Ravi gambled by not taking a plea deal and lost big time. Serves him right! What in the world made him think he was going to get away with it all?

Yes, he turned it down...and they PT also said they'd do what they could to help him avoid deportation if he took the plea and he thumbed his nose at it. It's kind of incredible after hearing the PT's case and the pitiful defense that was put on that he would not take the plea..but seeing how arrogant he seemed throughout this trial, sitting there, looking bored, sleepy and uninterested, it doesn't surprise me as much now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NebulasShift
Back