Study: Try honey for children's coughs

Back where I am from,the old timers use honey.They mix it with a bit of moonshine for nighttime coughs.Gargle with salt water is big back there too.Also where my husband is from he says that if you are not feeling well the big question is "have ya tried an enema *yikes*

This thread couldn't have been more timely for me. *cough*hack*cough*

Can I substitute Mountain Dew for moonshine?
:D

No enema for me, thank you! :eek:

The chef at my work always makes me warm apple juice mixed with honey and juice from half a lime. It is so soothing.

We always drank tea and honey when we had colds. That and a chest rub with Vick's.
I have also heard if you have seasonal allergies you should eat the locally grown honey that has the local pollen in it. You will then build up resistance to it.(I guess the same concept of allergy shots)

I've also heard that rubbing Vick's vapor rub on the bottom of your feet and putting on a thick pair of socks helps, moreso than rubbing the vapor rub on your chest. I thought it was hooey so I went to my trusted www.snopes.com and low and behold, it does work, but no one knows why! Actually snopes has it listed as undetermined but several people have sworn by it.

My wife told me last night that her Polish grandmother would give her and her brother a thimble full of brandy to help them sleep when they had a cough. She thinks grandma was on to something, which she might very well be, but I said to my wife "I don't know about that in this day and age. Imagine the uproar if it got out we were boozing up our kids whenever they get sick." She agreed.

they used to say not to give children honey because of Botulism. Now whom are we supposed to believe?

Better check the labels on the honey because some of it in the stores comes from China. I'd rather give a tsp. of vinegar to a child than some food product from China.

Better check the labels on the honey because some of it in the stores comes from China. I'd rather give a tsp. of vinegar to a child than some food product from China.

Honey from China? ICK! Why???

One of the reasons honey is helpful is that, if it is local, it helps with seasonal allergies. That is why I've always used it. But it was essential that it be from a local place.

I was told by a beekeeper that you should try to buy honey that is from a place as close to where you live as possible. Even the Publix by me stocks honey from a little family owned farm.

One of the reasons honey is helpful is that, if it is local, it helps with seasonal allergies. That is why I've always used it. But it was essential that it be from a local place.

I was told by a beekeeper that you should try to buy honey that is from a place as close to where you live as possible. Even the Publix by me stocks honey from a little family owned farm.

I've also heard, for various reasons, that local honey is better than store bought.

Every allergist and doctor I have ever seen has told me this. Local honey just tastes so much better too.

Every allergist and doctor I have ever seen has told me this. Local honey just tastes so much better too.

What an interesting thread. DS 7 has seasonal allergies - he has some local honey occasionally, but I will definitely start encouraging him to eat it more regularly. Yummy on a biscuit!!

What an interesting thread. DS 7 has seasonal allergies - he has some local honey occasionally, but I will definitely start encouraging him to eat it more regularly. Yummy on a biscuit!!

The place ours is from is not too far from you, up in Cherokee County. It is called Weeks Works in Ball Ground. The Publix by me has it.

If you can't find it in your store, call or email him at 770-735-3263/bnweeks@juno.com and I'll bet he can tell you where it is sold near you.

They are nice folks up there. We have been up that way to cut our own Christmas tree. I wonder if they still do that?

"The place ours is from is not too far from you, up in Cherokee County. It is called Weeks Works in Ball Ground. The Publix by me has it.

If you can't find it in your store, call or email him at 770-735-3263/bnweeks@juno.com and I'll bet he can tell you where it is sold near you.

They are nice folks up there. We have been up that way to cut our own Christmas tree. I wonder if they still do that?"

I was just reading this thread and thinking of running out tomorrow to get some local honey for my cough and allergies when I noticed someone speaking of Cherokee COunty. Born and raised there and still live in Cherokee in the Canton area. Small world!

The place ours is from is not too far from you, up in Cherokee County. It is called Weeks Works in Ball Ground. The Publix by me has it.

They are nice folks up there. We have been up that way to cut our own Christmas tree. I wonder if they still do that?

Thanks, angel. I am actually going to be in Cherokee County tomorrow - going to hang out with my best friend who lives in Waleska. I will check out Weeks Works and also check the Publix I shop at for it.

We have not done the chop down your own tree thing yet, but I want to do that one year soon. There are still some farms up that way where you can do that.

I hope you are well!!:blowkiss:

SCM

My youngest had sever asthma when she was small. After following the doctor's advice about using her asthma medication, he also added this to her regime. 4 Tablespoons of Sue Bee Honey in 1 cup of warm tea.
I was amazed at how that worked when nothing else did.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back