Switched at Birth!

I think I would have recognized mine form the get-go. Even my 3d one, when I had a general (emergency C). They all resembled each other so much, it was amazing. And they were among the few infants with dark, distinctive eyebrows, even my blondie.

I have always thought how horrible this would be!

Eve

There was no way to switch my babies after birth..

Ariel was the only girl born at the hospital that day.
MJ was the only baby at the hospital at all.
Richie was the only baby with very light skin. (he was born in Miami and all the other babies were hispanic and even though Hubby is hispanic Richie was pale like me)
Tony had this weird orange tinge to his hair.. There was no switching him!

"Teens are notorious for having easy or quick labors."

Where did you ever hear this? It is just not true.

From some L&D nurses. It's not to say that they're without complications as a whole, but I've been told by several nurses that the easiest labors they've seen have always been from teens.

There was no way to switch my babies after birth..

Ariel was the only girl born at the hospital that day.
MJ was the only baby at the hospital at all.
Richie was the only baby with very light skin. (he was born in Miami and all the other babies were hispanic and even though Hubby is hispanic Richie was pale like me)
Tony had this weird orange tinge to his hair.. There was no switching him!
LOL about the hair! :blowkiss:

I can't imagine the IDs easily falling off, but I guess that's possible on those tiny baby ankles. When my daughter was born they put the ID on her and on me and my husband, and they always double checked us when they brought her to us, but twice they brought in the wrong baby when we called the nursery and asked to see our baby. Both times they realized their mistake immediately, once before coming in the room and once when I asked why she was in blue (her cap was always pink).

I'm glad the Florida hospital realized their error before things could get really sticky.

Being covered by the state is not anywhere near like having private insurance.

If she was not living at home her parents could remove her off of their insurance.

Regardless of what type of insurance the girl had, she's the one who noticed the baby being the wrong one, and that's what matters, right? Maybe she was just more alert and intuitive than the other mother.
:rolleyes:

From some L&D nurses. It's not to say that they're without complications as a whole, but I've been told by several nurses that the easiest labors they've seen have always been from teens.

I must have been a teen until I was almost 30 then... :D With DD I woke up at 3:30am from a sharp stabbing pain (oh *that's* what contractions feel like), unexpectedly ended up in the hospital around 7:30am, held her at 11:12am.

This thread scares the heeby jeebies out of me. I'll be the mother from hell when this new one gets here no doubt. I'm not looking forward to it, as is... let alone with stories like this. LOL

I doubt this baby will get switched though, I plan on having it (*why* do I keep typing 'she' and 'her'?? :D) in a hospital that hardly any white people go to.... I don't suffer from blackophobia so I don't see why I should drive almost an hour further for a 'white' hospital... gotta love northeast Ohio. :rolleyes:

I must have been a teen until I was almost 30 then... :D With DD I woke up at 3:30am from a sharp stabbing pain (oh *that's* what contractions feel like), unexpectedly ended up in the hospital around 7:30am, held her at 11:12am.

This thread scares the heeby jeebies out of me. I'll be the mother from hell when this new one gets here no doubt. I'm not looking forward to it, as is... let alone with stories like this. LOL

I doubt this baby will get switched though, I plan on having it (*why* do I keep typing 'she' and 'her'?? :D) in a hospital that hardly any white people go to.... I don't suffer from blackophobia so I don't see why I should drive almost an hour further for a 'white' hospital... gotta love northeast Ohio. :rolleyes:

LOL! That's one way of preventing an accidental switch! Good luck to you!

LOL! That's one way of preventing an accidental switch! Good luck to you!

Thanks! :D I hope my statement won't offend anyone... I am just so tired with the hidden racism around here. I just go to the nearest hospital and I don't care who else is there.

Eek just wanted to add 'around here' means where we live, *not* WS!

"Teens are notorious for having easy or quick labors."

Where did you ever hear this? It is just not true.

I've always heard this, too! My sis is a nurse, used to work in LD, she'd tell us stories about teens coming in and having the baby within 20 minutes. Lots of underweight babies, lots of premies. Don't know if those two factors are why the labors go fast for so many of them.

Some people just have quick labors, no matter the age. My first was born 20 minutes after I reached the hospital, and I left for the hospital one hour after feeling labor pains because they'd started out at 3 min. apart. Baby #2's labor was 2 1/2 hours from start to finish. #3 was under two hours. #4, the nine pounder, took five hours and I thought I was going to die! #5 was about three hours. My friends all tell me horror stories about labors that lasted days and days long, and I just zip my lip. I learned the hard way that people who suffered agony don't appreciate those who sneeze and there's the baby!

Editing to add: Over here, mom wears a bracelet, baby wears two and a scan gun similar to those at the grocery checkouts is used to "match" the baby to the parent. It SHOULD be foolproof!

Yeah, I've been told stories of girls that went in, grimaced during transition and asked for tylenol... or the one who took tylenol when she felt crampy and never realized she was in labor until her body was trying to push the baby out. She barely made it to the hospital in time to have the baby.

My mom had three babies in her teens. She was married at 15 and had kids at 16, 17, and 18. She said she gave birth like a gumball machine. Like one push and out they popped! My sister was premature and they almost didn't make it to the hospital because my dad didn't believe she was in labor a month before her due date. So at least in this case the easy teen birth theory holds up.
On the original topic, my sister was so dark skinned when she was born, the hospital thought that they had the wrong father. They looked all over the waiting areas and hallway and couldn't find the black man they thought they were looking for. My mom and dad are both white, but for some reason my sister came out very dark skinned at birth. She lightened up over time. But boy, were those Dr's confused. (This was the 50's and there weren't many mixed marriages in those days.) They probably were worried about giving out the wrong baby!

My mom had three babies in her teens. She was married at 15 and had kids at 16, 17, and 18. . She said she gave birth like a gumball machine. Like one push and out they popped! My sister was premature and they almost didn't make it to the hospital because my dad didn't believe she was in labor a month before her due date. So at least in this case the easy teen birth theory holds up.
On the original topic, my sister was so dark skinned when she was born, the hospital thought that they had the wrong father. They looked all over the waiting areas and hallway and couldn't find the black man they thought they were looking for. My mom and dad are both white, but for some reason my sister came out very dark skinned at birth. She lightened up over time. But boy, were those Dr's confused. (This was the 50's and there weren't many mixed marriages in those days.) They probably were worried about giving out the wrong baby!

That just cracked me up! :D The rest of the story didn't do much in the 'rest assured' department for me though! :D

My mom had three babies in her teens. She was married at 15 and had kids at 16, 17, and 18. She said she gave birth like a gumball machine. Like one push and out they popped! My sister was premature and they almost didn't make it to the hospital because my dad didn't believe she was in labor a month before her due date. So at least in this case the easy teen birth theory holds up.

Haha that cracked me up too.

When my first child was born she was dark too and a head of hair for days.I had a visitor and I walked them down to the veiwing window.When we got there there was a couple of people there.I saw my darling baby and was about to point her out (they had her turned away from the window all you could see was the back of her head)when the guy tapped on the window and got the nurses attention and asked her to turn my baby so they could see her.Well I was about to go off on him when he said "Oh wow that is a white baby!That is the most beautiful white baby I have ever seen!" hehe cracked me up.I said "why thank you...I think so too" hehehe everybody around cracked up.

I am glad they have stopped that viewing room deal.I was always so worried when they took my baby from me at night to just bring her back to me for feedings.

That is sad to have happen / babies switched.
My first had such a cone shaped head there was
absolutely no mistaking her.

Of course. :rolleyes:

Well in this case I wouldn't call it a frivilous (sp) lawsuit. They are demanding an explanation and I think they deserve one. But since a lawyer is involved we know there will also be a money payout.

Well in this case I wouldn't call it a frivilous (sp) lawsuit. They are demanding an explanation and I think they deserve one. But since a lawyer is involved we know there will also be a money payout.

I understand why they are angry, I would be too. No doubt about it. They did get their explanation. The babies armbands came off during circumcision and one of the nurses put the armbands on the wrong baby. That is what happened. Now that the lawyers are involved they will get 33.5 percent of all money these mothers want and you know as well as I do that this is now all about the money. This is why we pay $22 for a bar of soap when we are in the hospital. This is why our healthcare system is so expensive. GREED from the private hospital companies and GREED from lawyers.

The $50,000 each mother wants will be cut in half by lawyers and their fees then of that money left $25,000, half will be taken out in taxes and if the mothers were on public insurance (like Tenncare, in Tennessee) they will have to pay any and all hospital costs (Brother is a bloodsucking lawyer here in Tenn. and explained this to me today. Long reason but it is true).
These women will be lucky if they don't end up OWING money to this hospital after this!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back