Teen, mom sue MySpace.com for $30 million

CyberLaw said:
Kitty: You many have not have heard the "sarcastic tone to my post....
Oh, I wasn't saying give me a break about your post. Sorry, I should have been more specific. Give me a break about this whole entire incident.

While I agree there are issues with myspace and their controls and verification process, I think it's important to remember the same types of things (preditors- abductions- etc.) go on in MANY other places on-line. AOL, Yahoo, MSN, Mirc, etc etc.. we have heard all of these chat programs mentioned at least 1 time in relation to "grown up's" preying on children.

The chat programs are not babysitters!!

The most important thing is to be around when your child is on-line... walk by, glance at the screen, learn the lingo (.. etc), take notice of them minamizing screens when you walk by. Become actively involved in your childs life! Learn who they are, what they need and what may be lacking in their lives because that's what they are looking for on-line- someone they can open up to- be themselves with- feel loved!!

My advice to ALL parents with computers in their home is to learn about computers and how to locate anything... logs, history (Even if it's deleted after the child uses the computer) nothing on a computer is ever really deleted and parents need to know how to "sneak".
My boys know I can find anything on a computer and are probably afraid to do anything wrong while on-line cuz mom will find out and the computer will be smashed into bits in the street!!

OneLostGrl said:
While I agree there are issues with myspace and their controls and verification process, I think it's important to remember the same types of things (preditors- abductions- etc.) go on in MANY other places on-line. AOL, Yahoo, MSN, Mirc, etc etc.. we have heard all of these chat programs mentioned at least 1 time in relation to "grown up's" preying on children.

The chat programs are not babysitters!!

The most important thing is to be around when your child is on-line... walk by, glance at the screen, learn the lingo (.. etc), take notice of them minamizing screens when you walk by. Become actively involved in your childs life! Learn who they are, what they need and what may be lacking in their lives because that's what they are looking for on-line- someone they can open up to- be themselves with- feel loved!!

My advice to ALL parents with computers in their home is to learn about computers and how to locate anything... logs, history (Even if it's deleted after the child uses the computer) nothing on a computer is ever really deleted and parents need to know how to "sneak".
My boys know I can find anything on a computer and are probably afraid to do anything wrong while on-line cuz mom will find out and the computer will be smashed into bits in the street!!
Very good advise.

LinasK said:
Well, Top Gunner, I agree with you. Although it is the parents responsibility to oversee their child's computer activity, the reality is, not all parents do. I think MySpace needs to be shut down because it is abused by predators and such. Their controls are not effective, they have no way to check age, and the content that is posted is provocative, bordering on *advertiser censored* on some of it! I hope this family wins their lawsuit. If it weren't for MySpace, that 16-year-old girl from Michigan wouldn't have been high-tailing it to the Middle East to meet her dream man, a 20-year-old, who lied about his age, high-school drop-out who spends 10 hours/day on the internet!!!:razz:

I really agree with you. I don't think that any place like myspace.com should even exist where kids are encouraged to make profiles and can be contacted by just anyone. The internet is a pervert's dream world where they get away with all sorts of stuff. What we hear about is just the ones who are caught. What about the ones who flatter, and lie, and manipulate kids just to get a peek at them or a photo. Many innocent people have been violated online by these freaks and kids should not be exposed at all. If their parents don't care then let everyone else take some responsibility and step up. If it's not cool to join some old geezer website then many wouldn't bother. Why not just have each school or districts have their own private websites where the kids can chat with each other under heavy moderation to prevent any sort of sex talk.

i agree with alot said here but what about us parents that work ? we cannot moniter our children all the time and they do have friends with computers even tho mine my be locked up that doesnt stop a 15 year old from hanging at his friends ... i wouldnt want to be that mom with all this being said about her . tho i think her sueing them is tacky .. i think sites like that shouldnt exist.. people made friends lots of other ways before the net came along ..

zadari said:
tho i think her sueing them is tacky .. i think sites like that shouldnt exist.. people made friends lots of other ways before the net came along ..
Since sites like that do unfortunately exist, sueing them is the recourse. Maybe that will shut them down, or force them to think twice about how they do business.

txsvicki said:
Why not just have each school or districts have their own private websites where the kids can chat with each other under heavy moderation to prevent any sort of sex talk.
Because some of us don't want the public schools to set a precedent of babysitting our kids either. It is not the schools place to monitor, nor is it their place to provide a safe haven....which won't be safe. Has anyone really paid attention to what teenagers say in chat rooms? Monitored or not they speak in code to get by that. Plus you have bots...mindless bits of java that float and find chat rooms that can not only download trojans if clicked but give your kids a lot more to look at than someones prom picture.

So when my son clicked that link that gave me a trojan was it Disneys fault or mine? Mine of course. I hadn't told him that he couldn't click them so he did. One of the first lessons I learned from that, no where is safe from crap on the internet.

If this woman is allowed to make a stand against this website then get ready for more and more restrictions on your freedom. I firmly believe that Big Brother is out there. Already Microsoft is putting software on your pc that phones home your searchs and what you have on your pc. Without your permission I might add. Yahoo does remote phoning, tapping in to every search you make to 'personalize your searching pleasure', without your permission! So you want a safe internet? Then don't have the internet or teach your child how to deal with it. Because as I've said, it's everywhere. Emails, yahoo, google, geocities, game chat rooms, irc, icq, aim, aol and the list goes on. There are people in our govenment who see this internet world as a money making font that they can't tap into. Give them a wedge they'll certainly start trying harder to find a way. Paying higher prices is just the beginning.

You can buy programs, set up permissions, block out websites, filter their search words, set a timer and password on your pc, hide folders, password protect folders, have admin permissions set up before they can even touch a browser or input any urls.

My best advice, police yourselves, not my internet. I'm grown and pay out the butt for the freedom to use it as I please. It is my place to make sure my kids can't. Why would I want my personal info to have to be given because of someone elses kid or their lack of parenting skills? I dont even give out my social security number much less my banking or driving id. That has my street address, my given name and a number to find me. Talk about handing over directions to my house.

txsvicki, this wasn't directed at you btw, it was a general you, not you, you.
blowkises.gif

BhamMama said:
Because some of us don't want the public schools to set a precedent of babysitting our kids either. It is not the schools place to monitor, nor is it their place to provide a safe haven....which won't be safe. Has anyone really paid attention to what teenagers say in chat rooms? Monitored or not they speak in code to get by that. Plus you have bots...mindless bits of java that float and find chat rooms that can not only download trojans if clicked but give your kids a lot more to look at than someones prom picture.

So when my son clicked that link that gave me a trojan was it Disneys fault or mine? Mine of course. I hadn't told him that he couldn't click them so he did. One of the first lessons I learned from that, no where is safe from crap on the internet.

If this woman is allowed to make a stand against this website then get ready for more and more restrictions on your freedom. I firmly believe that Big Brother is out there. Already Microsoft is putting software on your pc that phones home your searchs and what you have on your pc. Without your permission I might add. Yahoo does remote phoning, tapping in to every search you make to 'personalize your searching pleasure', without your permission! So you want a safe internet? Then don't have the internet or teach your child how to deal with it. Because as I've said, it's everywhere. Emails, yahoo, google, geocities, game chat rooms, irc, icq, aim, aol and the list goes on. There are people in our govenment who see this internet world as a money making font that they can't tap into. Give them a wedge they'll certainly start trying harder to find a way. Paying higher prices is just the beginning.

You can buy programs, set up permissions, block out websites, filter their search words, set a timer and password on your pc, hide folders, password protect folders, have admin permissions set up before they can even touch a browser or input any urls.

My best advice, police yourselves, not my internet. I'm grown and pay out the butt for the freedom to use it as I please. It is my place to make sure my kids can't. Why would I want my personal info to have to be given because of someone elses kid or their lack of parenting skills? I dont even give out my social security number much less my banking or driving id. That has my street address, my given name and a number to find me. Talk about handing over directions to my house.

I agree completely with your post. I have kids and they are not allowed on myspace or any place like that...I don't care if all there friends are they won't be. But once the get older I may choose to let them, but I will have it password protected maybe even with my own password and they can not sign on unless I am home and do it for them. I know alot of parents can't and don't always monitor there kids online but the should start because myspace isn't making any of this happen. And even if you get rid of it another will just pop up in it's place. There are perverts online everywhere and they will find them on another place. Parents should be responsible and it isn't the website that should be held accountable, I mean were did her parents think she was, no checking up. I mean myspace can't do the parents job.

just my opinion

I d like to see them get myspace under control. Since I don't think it will be shut down, I hope they start charging to use it, at least that would lessen the amount of youngsters using it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat
Back