Telephone Companies

The point is, we need to go back further than what is available on the internet to find WHO had the numbers in the 1980s. So, internet won't cut it. See Bookman's post in one of the Colorado connection thread about why he found. Based on what he found, I made this comment as a possibility to consider:

Please see Bookman's post. I am now wondering whether SHE was looking for a missing person rather than running from someone. Bookman's post about the source of his information is what has me wondering. It was a guide on how to find a missing person. Yet, she was going underground too? Maybe those notes were written way sooner than we think. Maybe she eventually gave up looking for who she was separated from and then she went underground after she learned exactly how to do it.

Interesting line of thought. I finally purchased a copy of "How to find missing persons: a handbook for investigators"/ Ronald George Eriksen 2 [sic] (Loompanics; Port Townsend, WA, 1984). To review, this is the book that explained CNA numbers to me, and which I refer to in post #6 in this thread. I have no proof that Jane Doe ever read this book, but I think it's possible or even likely she read something like it. Following is my book report ;)

Short version: In 1984, many sources of personal information were much easier to research. For instance, in Chapter 14, the author explains that "[l]icense plate records are open to the public in all 50 states and no ruse is needed to obtain them." In Chapter 13, Hospital Records, the author estimates that he can get personal medical records 70% of the time by phoning the subject's doctor's office with a pretext. If this doesn't work, he says to "hang up and call the Billing Department of the hospital." Pretexts and simple ruses are a recurring theme in the book, with short example scripts given. Social engineering can be extremely effective. At various times, the author suggests impersonating the police, a jury clerk, bankers, etc. He also suggests finding "inside sources" at the police department and phone company, claiming it was relatively easy to do.

Table of Contents and selected headings:

1. Introduction
2. Types of Missing Persons
Runaway husbands and wives
Runaway kids
Loan skips
Adoption cases
Criminals
3. Finding Missing Persons as a Profession
Private investigators
Private process servers
Running a process serving business
Bounty hunters
4. Arrest Records
Police informants
Bailbondsmen
Church League of America [tracked "anti-American activities"]
Newspapers
County courthouses
5. Banks
Bank Ruse
Finding out where someone banks
Bank solicitation ruse
In the mail
Subpoenas
Swiss banks
6. Courthouse records
7. Credit bureaus
8. Credit card records
9. Drivers license records
Ruses
Lazy man's ruse
Transferred and expired licenses
Microfiche
Address verification
Companies
10. Ex-neighbors
[Phone ruses]
In person
11. Finding out where someone works
12. Friends and Relatives
Doctor ruse
In person
13. Hospital records
Phony authorization
In person
Shady nurses
14. Licence plates
15. Occupational Licensing Bureaus
16. Phone Books and City Directories
17. Post Office
Post Office Boxes
Ruse 1
Ruse 2
Subpoenas
Small towns
U.P.S. ruse
18. Social Security Records
19. Telephone Records
C.N.A. numbers
Informants
20. Welfare Rolls
21. Other Leads to Check Out
Garbage
Labor unions
Military personel
Pet license bureaus
Property owners
Salvation Army
Travel agencies, airlines and buses
Utility companies
Voters registration records
22. Case Histories [six given]
23. The Final Word
24. Recommended Reading

So, guess I'm bored and have run out of avenues on this case. So, back to the notes page and phone numbers. I've been curious about the note "mountain bell" and the notation underneath "three hours less". Question: three hours less than what? So, as a starting point, I was looking at the history of Mountain Bell. I found the following information that may be pertinent or thought provoking, but in the meantime, I'm still working on the "three hours less":

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qwest_Corporation#Mountain_Bell:

"MST&T commonly did business as Mountain States Telephone until 1969, when the new Bell System logo came into use and the company name was colloquially referred to as Mountain Bell. The company provided telephone services in Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Montana, Southern Idaho, Wyoming, and the El Paso, Texas vicinity. Additionally, MST&T acquired controlling interest in the Malheur Home Telephone Company in Oregon, better known as Malheur Bell. MST&T operated Malheur Bell as a wholly owned independent subsidiary, an arrangement that continued until 2009.

Mountain Bell's operations in El Paso, Texas were sold to Southwestern Bell in 1982.[3]".

All of those areas are 2 hours from Eastern Time Zone and 1 hour from Pacific and Central time, except Arizona which does not do Daylight Savings. So, part of the year in Arizona, it is 2 hours less from Eastern and part of the time it is 3 hours less (when Eastern is on DST). So, if the 3 hours less is associated with the Mountain Bell note, it had to be due to something in Arizona.

Pacific is always 3 hours different from Eastern Time - California, Oregon, Washington are in Pacific.

Either way, my opinion is that in order for the perspective of "3 hours less" to make sense, she had to be on the East Coast when writing that note. If she were on the West Coast or in AZ writing these notes, she would have written "3 hours ahead".

Is there anything in that How to Find People book about something costing $1.85? Like a birth certificate or death certificate or drivers license...etc?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back