Texas - Coronavirus COVID-19 #2

Houston opening rollbacks loom as COVID hospitalizations spike | khou.com

“As COVID-19 case numbers continue to climb, the Houston region is on the verge of reaching a new critical point.

"Right now, the 14-day average is off the charts at 1,700 new cases on average reported every single day," Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo said.

Governor Greg Abbott’s executive order states that if Trauma Service Area Q – which includes Harris, Fort Bend, Montgomery, Austin, Colorado, Matagorda, Walker, Waller and Wharton Counties – has seven consecutive days of COVID-19 hospitalizations above 15% of total hospital capacity, certain indoor businesses will have to go back to 50% occupancy and elective surgeries will have to stop. Bars will also have to close.

"We are getting perilously close to that," Houston Health Authority Dr. David Persse said.“

[...]

“Texas COVID by the numbers
On Monday, the state reported 15,976 new COVID-19 cases. There were 52 newly-reported deaths and we now have 12,961 COVID patients in Texas hospitals, which is a new record.

The positivity rate in the state is at 20.13%. That means in Texas, one person out of every five people who are tested are positive for COVID-19.“

Houston-area counties ordered to roll back reopening plans | khou.com
Harris, Fort Bend and Montgomery counties are among 9 Southeast Texas counties that have reported a week of worrisome hospitalization numbers.

HARRIS COUNTY, Texas — Seven straight days of high hospitalization rates have triggered a state-issued order for several Houston-area counties to scale back their reopening plans.

‘Trauma Service Area Q – which is made up of Harris, Fort Bend, Montgomery, Austin, Colorado, Matagorda, Walker, Waller and Wharton counties – has had seven consecutive days of COVID-19 hospitalizations above 15% of total hospital capacity.”

Houston bars are on the verge of shutting down again

Harris County's 7-day high of COVID-19 hospitalizations triggers rollback

“HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo confirms the region has crossed the state's hospitalization threshold to trigger COVID-19 reopening rollbacks.

"The Harris County region officially crossed the state's hospitalization threshold triggering #COVID19 reopening rollbacks. Honestly, this is just another milestone on the road to a catastrophe unless each of us acts. We can't rely on a small occupancy rollback. Do your part," Hidalgo tweeted Tuesday afternoon.“

[...]

"“This is not an academic exercise, it is not a threshold that we should in any way celebrate reaching. What we need to recognize is that without community action were are going to find ourselves in a very difficult situation," Hidalgo said.

Hidalgo added that this is the last wake-up call we might get and called for residents to avoid any gatherings with people they don't live with to help prevent the spread of the virus.”

Fort Bend Co. deputy constable dies of COVID-19 one month after getting sick, family says

“FORT BEND COUNTY, Texas (KTRK) -- A Fort Bend County Precinct 2 deputy constable died from COVID-19 a month after he got sick, according to his family.

Avery Canady, 50, died on Sunday. His wife confirms he started feeling ill on Dec. 4. The motorcycle deputy, who also worked for Union Pacific, was with the constable's office for nearly 20 years.“

Houston hospital system is offering its employees a $500 bonus if they get Covid-19 vaccine - CNN

Need a job? Pharmacies hiring and you don't need college degree | khou.com

“AUSTIN, Texas — If you’re looking for a job, pharmacies across Texas are hiring. They need extra manpower to help with the COVID-19 vaccine.”

[...]

“CVS has 28-hundred jobs open in Texas.

Walgreens pharmacy has another 12-hundred jobs available.

Depending on the job, some companies are offering extra hazard pay as an incentive.

“We're calling it hero pay for the folks going in the long-term care facilities,” Lackey explained.

Store pharmacies, like H-E-B, Kroger and Walmart, are also hiring.“

(Courtesy via Han)

More contagious COVID-19 strain identified in Harris County, the first [detected] in Texas
“It was only a matter of time,” said Dr. Joseph Petrosino, director of molecular virology and microbiology at Baylor College of Medicine. “It’s concerning from the standpoint that increased transmissibility means that unless we do a better job stopping the spread, we’re going to have more people in already overtaxed hospitals. Also, more spread leads to more new variants, any of which could be more severe or resistant to treatment.”

(Courtesy via Han)

More contagious COVID-19 strain identified in Harris County, the first [detected] in Texas
“It was only a matter of time,” said Dr. Joseph Petrosino, director of molecular virology and microbiology at Baylor College of Medicine. “It’s concerning from the standpoint that increased transmissibility means that unless we do a better job stopping the spread, we’re going to have more people in already overtaxed hospitals. Also, more spread leads to more new variants, any of which could be more severe or resistant to treatment.”

Aw, man. I agree that it was just a matter of time, but my parents, who are in their 70's, live in Harris County. :(

DFW Covid Vaccine Finder - 1A and 1B only

If you are in the Dallas/FtWorth area, this is a good site to check for info. I registered over the weekend at the Tx Health, Hughely Drive location in Burleson and was able to get appointment in 4 days which I canceled because it is such a long drive. I have now scheduled a drive through appointment through Dallas County website for Friday. I had registered with them a couple of weeks ago and they notified me today.

If you have MyChart through UTSW, Dallas, you might check there to see if you’re eligible. There will be an orange syringe on the page. I would have been able to get an appointment at two of their locations in a couple of days.

DFW Covid Vaccine Finder - 1A and 1B only

If you are in the Dallas/FtWorth area, this is a good site to check for info. I registered over the weekend at the Tx Health, Hughely Drive location in Burleson and was able to get appointment in 4 days which I canceled because it is such a long drive. I have now scheduled a drive through appointment through Dallas County website for Friday. I had registered with them a couple of weeks ago and they notified me today.

If you have MyChart through UTSW, Dallas, you might check there to see if you’re eligible. There will be an orange syringe on the page. I would have been able to get an appointment at two of their locations in a couple of days.

I got a mass text early last week (Tarrant County, with whom I had preregistered several weeks prior) to be at a county site the following day in a two-hour window. I arrived 40 minutes early and had about 37 people ahead of me in line. I was out in less than an hour. It was very well done, I thought. Good luck to you!

Gov. Greg Abbott to lift Texas mask mandate and open state '100 percent' (nbcnews.com)

The governor said the state would be back open "100 percent" by March 10.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott will lift the state's mask mandate and announced businesses would be allowed to reopen at full capacity in one week's time.

"It is now time to open Texas 100 percent," Abbott said Tuesday afternoon at Montelongo's Mexican Restaurant in Lubbock.

"Covid has not suddenly disappeared," he said, "but state mandates are no longer needed."...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back