Th Denies having anything to do with Kyron's disappearance...??

No, that isn't really true, and my evidence is the Elizabeth Smart case.

The Smart family was under the gun, every man in the family young and old was being blamed all over the internet and the media, and the mother was a basket case.

But guess what? They banded together and kept going on the news week after week, and the father who was suspected of foul play kept talking about his daughter until she came home.

I was someone who thought many people in the Smart family might be guilty of something. But I was wrong and I feel bad about that.

However, in hindsight, a major clue to their innocence was that they never lawyered up and stopped talking. They let their emotions show and they didn't care what the world thought.

So no, I don't think it's wise of Terri to clam up when her stepson is missing, especially now that she is under the gun. I've been wondering for weeks why she doesn't speak out and at least try to show her feelings for Kyron. The longer she stays silent the worse it will be in front of a jury.

My point is the family turned against Terri (not that I wouldn't with a MFHP in her back pocket! Sheesh!) and the Smart family never pointed fingers at one another, they stuck together. So I think this is a little different situation.

My point is the family turned against Terri (not that I wouldn't with a MFHP in her back pocket! Sheesh!) and the Smart family never pointed fingers at one another, they stuck together. So I think this is a little different situation.

I just disagree that Kaine was the reason Terri wouldn't talk to the media, or that it is logical that she still isn't saying anything about Kyron.

Just my opinion.

The Smart family was under the gun, every man in the family young and old was being blamed all over the internet and the media, and the mother was a basket case.

But guess what? They banded together and kept going on the news week after week, and the father who was suspected of foul play kept talking about his daughter until she came home.

I was someone who thought many people in the Smart family might be guilty of something. But I was wrong and I feel bad about that.

However, in hindsight, a major clue to their innocence was that they never lawyered up and stopped talking. They let their emotions show and they didn't care what the world thought.

So no, I don't think it's wise of Terri to clam up when her stepson is missing, especially now that she is under the gun. I've been wondering for weeks why she doesn't speak out and at least try to show her feelings for Kyron. The longer she stays silent the worse it will be in front of a jury.

It is not evidence that she is remaining silent, and I can see no way a jury would use it against her. Her lawyer has no doubt advised her to keep quiet, and following one's attorney's advice is the best way to ensure your best defense.

I just disagree that Kaine was the reason Terri wouldn't talk to the media, or that it is logical that she still isn't saying anything about Kyron.

Just my opinion.

Tony has rarely spoken in public, though granted more than Terri has. I believe it was explained that he felt it was better for Kaine and Desiree to handle the media.

Goose/gander again.

I agree the Smarts didn't lawyer up. However within days of Elizabeth's abduction they hired the PR firm Intrepid with Chris Thomas acting as their media agent.

Article details his well developed control of the press.
http://www.sherrigreen.com/Chris Thomas CCS.htm

I think a distinction needs to be made about what "keeping quiet" meant at the beginning of this case. There's a big difference between asking people to not discuss what they saw that day with anyone but LE and telling Terri to keep quiet about accusations leveled at her. LE did not want people they were interviewing about the case to talk to the media in case it influenced other people's memory (I vaguely remember a quotation from LE about not wanting to release information lest it interfere with people's memory), and it seems Kaine shared that concern.

As far as Kaine's email goes. It looks to me like he was just reiterating what LE wanted as far as people speaking to media about what they saw that day. He did want the news about Kyron being missing to get out.
“Forward Kyron's information to as many people as you feel comfortable with,” he wrote. The more people that see this will increase our chances of finding him. Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers for Kyron's safe return." http://www.katu.com/news/95808084.html

Just a reminder (before Kimster gets back and tsks)...let's make sure we stay on topic! Great comments, so let's not get ourselves locked or moved or merged....or somethin'. :angel:

Tony has rarely spoken in public, though granted more than Terri has. I believe it was explained that he felt it was better for Kaine and Desiree to handle the media.

Goose/gander again.

Tony made a very heartfelt public talk about/to Kyron at the first presser. He has also spoken out about the case since. His actions, IMO, are in no way comparable to Terri's. No goose/gander around here at all.

It is not evidence that she is remaining silent, and I can see no way a jury would use it against her. Her lawyer has no doubt advised her to keep quiet, and following one's attorney's advice is the best way to ensure your best defense.

I agree with you about that, debs. I don't think Terri's silence will probably be used at trial, especially since her attorney came on board, and also considering that the entire family was relatively quiet, too, at first. (IMO, at LE's suggestion.) And I also agree that her attorney probably has advised her to stay quiet.
Her non-defending-herself behavior is hinky to me, but if I were a juror, I don't think I'd put much weight to it.
My point has been that I don't think blaming Kaine for her silence is fair.

Steadfast, see the Ackler Law link in BillyLee's post, above. Nothing in his memo to his co-workers says that he's telling them what LE said to do. Instead, he issues a direct order to his colleagues. Not unreasonable to think that he also told TH not to talk on her own. Until the big split, she'd been out with detectives (according to her FB), getting copies of flyers made, talking with people, thanking them, etc, all activities that the rest of the players were doing, as far as we know. Here's the excerpt:

"Do not speak to any media if contacted; I am trying to contact Intel legal to give them the heads up and help with this situation" (BBM/color)

Steadfast, see the Ackler Law link in BillyLee's post, above. Nothing in his memo to his co-workers says that he's telling them what LE said to do. Instead, he issues a direct order to his colleagues. Not unreasonable to think that he also told TH not to talk on her own. Until the big split, she'd been out with detectives (according to her FB), getting copies of flyers made, talking with people, thanking them, etc, all activities that the rest of the players were doing, as far as we know. Here's the excerpt:

"Do not speak to any media if contacted; I am trying to contact Intel legal to give them the heads up and help with this situation" (BBM/color)

Like I posted before, I think there is a distinction between wanting people who might have information about the case to refrain from talking to the media and insisting that Terri keep silent. Even your own post shows that Terri was not following some order of Kaine's to not communicate. It's just that none of her talking was denying her guilt -- though there were already charges being made of a "witch hunt" in newspaper comments.

Steadfast, Th did *not* communicate with media, which is what KH told his co-workers not to do. The communication I mentioned that she posted on FB was all with detectives, friends, those wishing to help. That excerpt from KH's memo and the ensuing discussion doesn't say that possibly KH told TH not to communicate with anyone at all. Apples/oranges (to feed the ganders/gooses).:smile:

A comparison to the Smart case is a good one - in only one way.

There was an arrest made; the suspect died in jail. Turns out he didn't do it, either. Tunnel vision can kill.

As for TH, I don't think she's talking because there is nothing she can say - and not in the last 6 weeks - where anyone would believe her anyway. Before that, I suspect Kaine was making sure that he was in charge, and that everyone stayed away from the media.

Further, we do know TH has said she misses him, loves him, and so on. But it wasn't in a press conference, wasn't told to the media...so "we" the public does not believe it ever happened. There are a lot of things that happen that are real and true, and are not public...

And here's my last thought on this: a woman has had everything she has known for the last -8 years ripped away in a matter of weeks. She lost her stepson; her husband; her baby; her home; her car; her financial stability. Everything that she counted on being there in some form or another for a long while was destroyed in a blink. If anyone knows Maslow's Hierarchy, think about it that way...she went from mid/top pyramid to the bottom in a matter of days. And even that has been threatened, with threats circulating about harm to herself.

I don't think she was in any way capable of saying anything at all - even "hello" - without sounding like a blathering idiot. She was under fire - and still is - in such a horrendous, thorough way that she's reduced to basic survival; finding a place to live, making sure she's able to stay alive.

And people wonder why she didn't say anything publicly? Shoot...I'd be buried under my mattress, just trying to figure out how to take my next breath, let alone trying to say something I already know the public won't believe.

I mean, think about it from a position of TH is innocent. How would you behave if you lost your children, your husband, your future work, your home, your pet, your car, and your finances in a matter of days? And it was done to you in a public manner - all over the newspapers, TV, mags, and gossip?

I bet you'd be hiding under your mattress, too...

Moo, moo, and moo...

Best-
Herding Cats

Tony made a very heartfelt public talk about/to Kyron at the first presser. He has also spoken out about the case since. His actions, IMO, are in no way comparable to Terri's. No goose/gander around here at all.

Is that the same presser where Kaine also addressed the media while Desiree was quiet?

Is that the same presser where Kaine also addressed the media while Desiree was quiet?

Yes...it was at that pc that TH's body language was so very strange. I wonder if she had already taken the polygraphs.

I keep wondering how much DY's obvious dislike of TH has influenced people's opinion of TH. Granted she is the birth mother of Kyron but it has always seemed strange to me that TH never spoke while all the other 3 did. From what we know, TH was Kyron's primary caregiver and from the first outside interview with someone at the school, it was said that Kyron loved her....that she was a wonderful mother. Yet the focus has always been on the grief of DY who mothered Kyron every 2 weeks for 2 days and not TH, who saw to his daily wants and needs.

Personally, I suspect that the pcs were orchestrated or directed by LE and they already had her in their sights. From what KH and DY now say, the atmosphere in the house must have been toxic. By her own admission, DY suspected TH from the moment she learned Kyron was missing. I'm sure she shared that feeling with KH and I know that had to affect everyone's behavior toward TH, whether consciously or not.

Personally, I suspect that the pcs were orchestrated or directed by LE and they already had her in their sights. From what KH and DY now say, the atmosphere in the house must have been toxic. By her own admission, DY suspected TH from the moment she learned Kyron was missing. I'm sure she shared that feeling with KH and I know that had to affect everyone's behavior toward TH, whether consciously or not.

They weren't just going to suspect her out of the clear blue sky, without reason! There must have been many reasons they suspected her. Heck, I suspect her!

As for saying that Kaine was controlling...we do not know this. We do not know that LE didn't tell them what to do in those first pressers. The controlling issue does not fit in with Terri doing whatever she wants during the day. She was definitely not a controlled person, so I really just do not get that argument at all.

Oh, and to add to that, Kaine said he didn't know how Terri spent most of her days. You would think a "control freak" would know. I have lived with a control freak...he would call me on each break, to make sure he knew where I was!

At risk of going over the same ground multiple times, I'm willing to believe that Kaine asked his family, friends and coworkers not to speak to the media at first, and that TH's lawyer asked her not to speak to anyone at some later point in time. Both well-advised, IMO. Nothing suspicious about people being media-aware in this day and age and reacting conservatively to a potential media blitz.

It's just odd to me that while acknowledging that criminal cases are often played out in the media and innocence or guilt decided in public forums without/before an actual trial (think: Ramseys), there wouldn't be some desire for balance from Terri's side. Maybe there is. Maybe she's desperate to proclaim her innocence and has been muzzled by her attorney. Maybe her attorney has a very, very good legal reason not to put out a statement of innocence, or maybe he will only when she's been officially charged.

I guess I'm just thinking of the time between the first week of silence by the family and Terri's later hiring of a criminal attorney - a statement of innocence or even just a statement of "we must find him, whatever you think of me personally please don't let that stop you from continuing to search" etc. Or even Terri's parents making a similar statement. "Our daughter is innocent, our (step) grandchild is missing, please don't stop searching for him."

Fran didn't say she should. She said she (Fran) would if she were in that position and were innocent.

Most of us couldn't help ourselves (well, ok, I wouldn't be able to, personally.) I would want everyone to know that I darn well didn't have anything to do with it at all, and if they want to find my beloved step son, they should take the focus off of me, and start looking elsewhere!

So would I, and if Terri is as narcissistic as people say she is I can't imagine how she can hold back from letting the public know she had nothing to do with this, if indeed she didn't. I am wondering if she is keeping silent because she knows there is so much evidence against her (other than physical evidence) that its in her own best interest to stay out of sight as much as possible, keep a neutral expression on her face, not speak a word to the media even if they are in her face (the parking garage incident for example) and lay low. So I surmise she IS guilty, a narcissist who was truly innocent I would think would be screaming to the media "I am innocent!! " then repeat her story of events of that day that prove shes innocent. Her story of what she did and where she was stinks, and I think she knows it. For someone who is supposed to be such a practiced liar, her lies sure are BAD ones.

JMO

If Terri had come out and loudly and continually proclaimed her innocence, begged for someone to bring Kyron back, showed grief and fear on her fb page, continued to aid the investigation, publicly explained her whereabouts on June 4 so that anyone who saw her could corroborate, refrained from hinky doings, and made media appearances to get Kyron's name out there, I think a lot of people would believe her.

Anyway, the argument that denying guilt isn't helpful when people don't believe you doesn't make sense to me. If people thought I did something bad, I sure wouldn't think, "Oh, well, what's the point of denying I did it?"

BBM

...and left out the sexting activity. hat didn't help to make her look like an innocent greiving step-mom, for sure. Neither did the MFH plot!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back