Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - 12 Boys And Coach Rescued from Cave, 23 June 2018 #6

Elon Musk wins 'pedo guy' defamation case

Dec 6, 2019

Vernon Unsworth sought $190m (£145m) in damages from the Tesla founder, arguing that the tweet damaged his reputation.

A public row broke out between the two men over the rescue of 12 boys trapped in a Thai cave in June 2018.

Mr Musk told the court this week the phrase "pedo guy" was common in South Africa, where he grew up.

Speaking to reporters outside the courtroom after the jury reached its decision, Mr Musk said: "My faith in humanity is restored."

[..]

Jurors took less than an hour to return their unanimous verdict, following a four-day trial at a federal court in Los Angeles.

Jury foreman Joshua Jones said Mr Unsworth's legal team were unable to prove their case and should have focused more on the evidence.

"I think they tried to get our emotions involved in it," he was quoted as saying by the Associated Press news agency.

[..]

What was the row about?

Mr Unsworth, an experienced 64-year-old cave explorer, splits his time between the UK and Thailand.

During the rescue of the young football team, which captured the world's attention, Mr Unsworth helped recruit expert cave divers who were instrumental in freeing the boys safely.

Mr Musk sent Tesla engineers and a small submarine to northern Thailand to help with the rescue effort, but the vessel was never used.

Instead, he and Mr Unsworth got into a public war of words after the diver branded the offer of help a "PR stunt".

During an interview with CNN, Mr Unsworth suggested the billionaire "stick his submarine where it hurts".

Mr Musk, who now has nearly 30 million followers, responded with a series of tweets about Mr Unsworth - including the one calling him "pedo guy". It was later deleted.

What was said at court?

Testifying over two days on Tuesday and Wednesday, Mr Musk told the court he did not expect the "pedo" tweet to be taken literally.

He said that at the time he thought Mr Unsworth was "just some random creepy guy" who was "unrelated to the rescue".

Mr Musk apologised on Twitter and in court for his outburst.

[..]

Mr Wood said Mr Musk was a "billionaire bully" who had "dropped a nuclear bomb" on his client, and that the tweet had affected his career and relationships.

On Thursday, Mr Unsworth told the court that Mr Musk's tweet had left him feeling "humiliated".

[..]

Alex Spiro, Mr Musk's lawyer, argued that the "pedo guy" tweet was an offhand comment made in the course of an argument between the two men, which no-one could be expected to take seriously.

"In arguments you insult people," he said. "There is no bomb. No bomb went off."

Sorry if your misunderstood my post. Vernon Unsworth was most definitely integral with the planning, preparation and logistics of the rescue but he was NOT one of the 5 Navy Seals or one of the 13 rescue divers that extracted the boys from the Tham Luang cave.

Ultimately, Unsworth failed to prove at trial that he had been defamed.
?? It took more than just those 18 people to get those kids out alive.

(Snipped from post ^)
Tuesday 10 July 2018
7:04 Wild Boar 11 out of cave
17:49 Wild Boar 13 in Chamber 3 with Mallinson
18:02 Wild Boar 13 in Chamber 3 with Dr Harris and Jewell.
18:03 Brown in chamber 3
18:15 Paasi chamber 3
18:17 Rasmussen chamber 3
18:21 Roe and Bratchley in Chamber 3
18:27 Challen in Chamber 3.
18:53 Wild Boar 12 in the hospital and Wild Boar 13 at cave entrance

20:46 Chiang Mai rope access and *Unsworth* out of cave
21:00 Two Thai military from Chamber 9 are in Chamber 3.
21:02 Third Thai military from Chamber 9 in Chamber 3
21:10 Fourth and final Thai military diver from Chamber 9 back in chamber 3.

What do you think he was doing then? Practicing his abseiling?

He was the one who mapped those caves

He was the first diver the Governor called, within two hours of being informed.

Sunday 24 June 2018
At midnight the Governor of Chiang Rai, Narongsak Osatanakorn, is informed of the trapped party and he arrives at the cave at 01:00.
At 02:00 locally based British caver Vern Unsworth is called out and along with 22 members of the Sirikorn Rescue Unit they enter the cave. However, they are unable to dive through the sumped section.

* link as above

defamation
the action of damaging the good reputation of someone
"Pedo Guy" "Child Rapist"

Musk gave evidence that he had contacted Buzzfeed about his concerns that Unsworth might use his fame for 'bad deeds.'

According to CNBC, Musk's deposition said:
'And I was like, well, what if this is a real situation? What if what we have here is another Jeffrey Epstein. We should, you know - I have this - I am told this information. I don’t know if it is true.

'But what if we have another Jeffrey Epstein on our hands? And what if he uses whatever celebrity he gains from this cave rescue to shield his bad deeds?

DailyMail
tenor.gif

All I know is, this sounds to me to be a war between two pre adolescent teens. Sad, isn’t it, how these supposed “adults” carry themselves? And all of this media attention for .... what?

Agreed! As I said earlier, I'm livid that these two ill behaved men soiled this brilliant successful rescue celebration with insults. I'm glad the trial puts an end to the media on these guys and we can get back to celebrating the survivors and their true heroes. MOO

Last edited:
Sorry if your misunderstood my post. Vernon Unsworth was most definitely integral with the planning, preparation and logistics of the rescue but he was NOT one of the 5 Navy Seals or one of the 13 rescue divers that extracted the boys from the Tham Luang cave.
^^ sbm

?? It took more than just those 18 people to get those kids out alive.
^^sbm

What do you think he was doing then? Practicing his abseiling?
^^sbm

@Keine Engel -- respectfully, Websleuths is a facts based site and my posts that you've replied to are specific to the Defamation Lawsuit Vernon Unsworth filed against Elon Musk on Sept 17, 2018 in the United States District Court Central District of California. The Case No. is 2:18-cv-8048.

From the Complaint referenced above, please be advised of the following undisputed facts of this case:

Mr. Unsworth's Complaint states that he is a highly respected caver. [Par. 7].

Mr. Unsworth provides that a Caver is a term used to describe an individual who explores or studies caves. Cavers are also known as spelunkers. [FN 1].

Mr. Unsworth's Complaint states he was not involved in the final planning stages for the rescue because he does not possess the diving expertise necessary to have made the dive. [Par. 52].

Mr. Unsworth Complaint states: After exhausting remaining options, and with the Monsoon season expected to continue flooding the Cave System in a matter of days, a large meeting was held on Friday, July 6 at 10 p.m., and the decision was made to extricate the Boys via a team of eighteen rescue divers divided between those who would swim the Boys out of the Cave System and those who would provide support at specific checkpoints or ‘stations’ during the dive. [Par. 47].

Again, Mr Unsworth provided his caver experience for the rescue effort but he was not one of the defined 18 rescue divers that extracted the boys from the Tham Luang cave.

It was not possible for Mr Unsworth to act as a rescue diver here because he does not possess the required diving expertise.

This is not my opinion, but the facts as told by Mr. Unsworth to the Court.

I trust you will see there's no comparing my posts from the actual court documents with information derived from the Daily Mail, The Telegraph, The Guardian, Mirror, Vox, or the Sun.

ETA: I don't believe anybody had time to practice abseiling!

Last edited:
Agreed! As I said earlier, I'm livid that these two ill behaved men soiled this brilliant successful rescue celebration with insults. I'm glad the trial puts an end to the media on these guys and we can get back to celebrating the survivors and their true heroes. MOO

Agree with this, neither has behaved like a gentlemen and neither has come out of it very well. Probably shouldn’t be surprised that the American jury in the American court came down on the side of the American billionaire. It’d have been nice if they’d manned up, apologised to each other and Musk had made a fat donation towards the local town, while Unsworth continued to do good in the community.

Hey ho, egos got in the way.

I’ll be back if there’s news about any of the true little heroes here - those boys.

... It’d have been nice if they’d manned up, apologised to each other and Musk had made a fat donation towards the local town, while Unsworth continued to do good in the community.

Hey ho, egos got in the way.

I’ll be back if there’s news about any of the true little heroes here - those boys.
Well at least one of them is continuing to help in doing some good for the community.

Odd they still need to raise funds :cool:

Wild Boars football team marks cave ordeal anniversary with run
23 JUN 2019

CHIANG RAI: A year after they became trapped in a flooded cave at the start of a two-week ordeal, some of the 12 young football players and their coach marked the anniversary of the drama

Around 4,000 people took part in the marathon and biking event organised by local authorities to raise funds to improve conditions at the now famous Tham Luang cave complex in Mae Sai district.

Nine of the boys and their coach ran the marathon, donning the event's orange T-shirts and looking notably taller and older.

c1_1700364.jpg

The Wild Boars teammates were at the centre of attention as they smiled and posed for photos.
Abbot Prayutjetiyanukarn, a monk in the local neighbourhood who interacts with the team every week, told The Associated Press that some of the boys were wary of the media and try to avoid the press whenever they can.

"But they are fine, both physically and spiritually, there's nothing to worry about,'' he said.

Last year's sensational rescue was initially led only by the Navy SEALs but the task proved extremely difficult. They turned to international rescuers and cave explorers, and crucially, cave diving experts

Many local and foreign rescuers returned for Sunday's run.

3236564.jpg

British cave expert Vernon Unsworth participates in the marathon and biking event at Tham Luang
"Not many children could have survived the way they did, so we have to respect them for that,'' said Vernon Unsworth, a British diver whose advice and experience were crucial to the rescue operation.

"What we should do right now is to just let them get on with their lives. Just let them grow up like normal kids,'' he said

BangkokPost

Last edited:
Well at least one of them is continuing to help in doing some good for the community.

Wild Boars football team marks cave ordeal anniversary with run
23 JUN 2019

CHIANG RAI: A year after they became trapped in a flooded cave at the start of a two-week ordeal, some of the 12 young football players and their coach marked the anniversary of the drama

Around 4,000 people took part in the marathon and biking event organised by local authorities to raise funds to improve conditions at the now famous Tham Luang cave complex in Mae Sai district.

Nine of the boys and their coach ran the marathon, donning the event's orange T-shirts and looking notably taller and older.

c1_1700364.jpg

The Wild Boars teammates were at the centre of attention as they smiled and posed for photos.
Abbot Prayutjetiyanukarn, a monk in the local neighbourhood who interacts with the team every week, told The Associated Press that some of the boys were wary of the media and try to avoid the press whenever they can.

"But they are fine, both physically and spiritually, there's nothing to worry about,'' he said.

Last year's sensational rescue was initially led only by the Navy SEALs but the task proved extremely difficult. They turned to international rescuers and cave explorers, and crucially, cave diving experts

Many local and foreign rescuers returned for Sunday's run.

3236564.jpg

British cave expert Vernon Unsworth participates in the marathon and biking event at Tham Luang
"Not many children could have survived the way they did, so we have to respect them for that,'' said Vernon Unsworth, a British diver whose advice and experience were crucial to the rescue operation.

"What we should do right now is to just let them get on with their lives. Just let them grow up like normal kids,'' he said

BangkokPost

Aww, so nice to see a photo of our little oinkies :)

snipped respectfully
BangkokPost

It's not like Elon doesn't share his wealth for the good and well being of others.

Elon Musk’s Donated Water Systems Will Soon Provide Schools in Flint With Access to Safe Clean Drinking Water

Elon Musk’s Donated Water Systems Will Soon Provide Schools in Flint With Access to Safe Clean Drinking Water

Elon Musk found not liable in 'pedo guy' defamation trial

UPDATED FRI, DEC 6 20196:35 PM EST

In his testimony during the defamation trial this week, Musk apologized to Unsworth and said he did not believe the cave explorer was a pedophile.

Musk and his defense team, led by attorney Alex Spiro, argued that “pedo guy” was simply heated rhetoric and not meant as a statement of fact. They also argued that the phrase “pedo guy” is widely known as slang for “creepy old guy.” And they suggested that Unsworth was looking for a payday in court, and had not sincerely been harmed by the “pedo guy” label.

The clash between the two men began when Unsworth criticized Musk for involving himself, and his employees, in an effort to rescue 12 boys and their soccer coach from flooded caves in Thailand in July 2018.

[..]

Unsworth’s expertise and knowledge of the caves proved instrumental in extracting the soccer team. He is credited as being a leader of the rescue effort.

Musk and his employees developed a device that they billed as a mini-submarine or escape pod, and which they thought could transport the kids out of the caves. On July 8, 2018, Musk wrote in a tweet, “Mini-sub arriving in about 17 hours. Hopefully useful. If not, perhaps it will be in a future situation.” The device was never used in the effort, however.

[..]

After the rescue, Unsworth was asked during a television interview on CNN about the mini-sub and Musk. He said Musk could “stick his submarine where it hurts,” and viewed the escape pod as “just a PR stunt.”

Lashing back, Musk called the caver a “pedo guy” in his now infamous public tweets.

[..]

In closing arguments, Unsworth’s attorney, L. Lin Wood, made an emotional appeal to the jury, calling Musk a “liar” while standing just a few feet away from the CEO.

[..]

Wood, who is well-known for representing Richard Jewell in his defamation case (and who will be portrayed by Sam Rockwell in an upcoming film about that) sought damages of $190 million in total for Unsworth.

[..]

Musk’s lead attorney, Alex Spiro, in closing arguments characterized Musk’s offensive tweets as merely insulting and not statements of fact. Spiro also said that Unsworth was telling the court, “I’ve been horribly damaged. Pay me lots of money,” but then failed to prove he had been damaged at all.

I respect the genius of Musk, but I find the result of this trial to be deeply disturbing. It would be disgusting on a comment board to see an unknown person called a pedophile, but it went so much further and deeper in this case.

I don't think there was any need for Unsworth's comments that set the whole thing in motion, but Musk's outburst and following actions were totally out of proportion to the initial comments. Making an accusation like that with such a big name behind you, it's more than irresponsible in my eyes, I think it's despicable behavior.

We're not talking about someone having an online fight and getting called a 'snowflake'. When I first heard Musk's accusation I thought it might be true, cos why would anyone in Musk's position say such a thing? I doubt I'm the only one. If you hear rumors like that about someone, it doesn't make you want to be around them or invite them around, especially not if you have kids. You err on the side of caution with rumours like that. When they are untrue they absolutely are damaging.

Elon Musk wins Twitter defamation trial brought by caver Vernon Unsworth

Elon Musk’s tweets calling caver Vernon Unsworth, who was involved in the rescue of 13 people from a cave in Thailand, a “pedo guy” do not meet the legal standard for defamation, a jury found Friday afternoon. As a result, Musk will not be liable for damages.

The decision had to do with defamation law as the judge had laid it out.

There were five points:

first, that the statements had to be made to a person other than Unsworth;

second, that the statements had to be understood to be about Unsworth;

third, that the statements had to be understood to mean Unsworth was a pedophile;

fourth, that the statements were false;

and fifth, that the statements were reckless.

“As soon as we got to point two, which was about being acquainted [with Unsworth], we decided,” Carl Shusterman, one of the eight members of the jury, told Buzzfeed News. “The people that read Musk’s tweet wouldn’t have known who he was talking about.”

[..]

Spiro reiterated in his closing remarks that the tweets were insults. Federal courts aren’t for people who insult each other, Spiro said. He also repeatedly asked about the whereabouts of Unsworth’s companion, a woman named Tik, who could have spoken to Unsworth’s emotional distress. Spiro also pointed out that Unsworth’s name did not appear in the tweets. “Who ever heard of an accusation of a crime against some dude?” he said. He characterized the exchange between Musk and Unsworth as an argument. “In arguments,” Spiro said, “you insult people.”

Since the verdict and more news released, I really don't think Unsworth's attorneys served him well.

First, Musk never named Unsworth in his damning "pedo-guy" tweet or subsequent tweets but he did name him in his email to Buzzfeed.

Why didn't Unsworth and his lawyers sue Buzzfeed?

Musk's email to Buzzfeed was clearly marked "OFF THE RECORD" communication and Buzzfeed published the email anyway! In professional journalism ethics, "off the record" does not equate to republishing the communication. Seems to me this action was equally damaging if not worse and begs the question why didn't Unsworth sue Buzzfeed?

Also, his Attorneys sought damages of $190 million in total for Unsworth. That included: $5 million in actual damages, $35 million in assumed damages and punitive damages of $150 million. On the surface, that calculation for compensatory damages seems way off.

One has to wonder if his lawyers advised Unsworth to secure insurance in the event he lost his lawsuit? If he's required to pay Musks attorney's fees -- I think it could be devastating for one with $33,000 annual income.

Was Unsworth represented for free? 4 days of trial in the United States would also be a huge sum.

ETA: Elon Musk has agreed not to collect his legal fees from Unsworth, and each party will bear their own costs. The parties also agreed to forego any appeals or other challenges related to the case.

Elon Musk will NOT sue British cave diver he called 'pedo guy' for court costs | Daily Mail Online

Elon Musk could face a RETRIAL in $190million defamation case as lawyer of British cave diver he branded 'pedo guy' claims jury blundered over Twitter technicality as his client faces potentially ruinous legal costs

Elon Musk could face a retrial in his defamation case after a lawyer for the British cave diver he called a 'pedo guy' said the jury's decision was a mistake.

Musk called Vernon Unsworth, 64, a 'pedo guy' on Twitter but was yesterday found not liable in the defamation case.

Now, Unsworth's lawyer Mark Stephens claims the jury came to that conclusion based on the fact that Unsworth's name was not used in the tweet.

Musk dubbed Unsworth a 'pedo guy' after Unsworth gave an interview to CNN in which he was critical of the Tesla co-founder.

During that TV appearance, Unsworth told hosts that a rescue pod Musk had sent to the Thai cave site to aide in the retrieval of the trapped children was merely a 'PR stunt'.

Unsworth also added that Musk should 'stick his submarine where it hurts'.

In response, the furious billionaire shared a string of 15 tweets, one of which included the 'pedo guy' slur.

He branded the jury's decision a mistake which could impact other defamation rulings in the future, The Mirror reports.

Mr Stephens said: 'That is a serious problem. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a bullying billionaire or a penniless troll, that behaviour is destructive.'

His team aim to file retrial papers by Christmas.

source.gif
:DFrom the ridiculously lengthy headline I'm sure you can guess the source ...
DailyMail

Elon Musk could face a RETRIAL in $190million defamation case as lawyer of British cave diver he branded 'pedo guy' claims jury blundered over Twitter technicality as his client faces potentially ruinous legal costs

Elon Musk could face a retrial in his defamation case after a lawyer for the British cave diver he called a 'pedo guy' said the jury's decision was a mistake.

Musk called Vernon Unsworth, 64, a 'pedo guy' on Twitter but was yesterday found not liable in the defamation case.

Now, Unsworth's lawyer Mark Stephens claims the jury came to that conclusion based on the fact that Unsworth's name was not used in the tweet.

Musk dubbed Unsworth a 'pedo guy' after Unsworth gave an interview to CNN in which he was critical of the Tesla co-founder.

During that TV appearance, Unsworth told hosts that a rescue pod Musk had sent to the Thai cave site to aide in the retrieval of the trapped children was merely a 'PR stunt'.

Unsworth also added that Musk should 'stick his submarine where it hurts'.

In response, the furious billionaire shared a string of 15 tweets, one of which included the 'pedo guy' slur.

He branded the jury's decision a mistake which could impact other defamation rulings in the future, The Mirror reports.

Mr Stephens said: 'That is a serious problem. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a bullying billionaire or a penniless troll, that behaviour is destructive.'

His team aim to file retrial papers by Christmas.

source.gif
:DFrom the ridiculously lengthy headline I'm sure you can guess the source ...
DailyMail

No longer applies! Once Musk agreed not to go after Unsworth for his legal costs the case is over. No appeals, done deal.

Since the verdict and more news released, I really don't think Unsworth's attorneys served him well.

*ETA: Elon Musk has agreed not to collect his legal fees from Unsworth, and each party will bear their own costs. The parties also agreed to forego any appeals or other challenges related to the case.

Elon Musk will NOT sue British cave diver he called 'pedo guy' for court costs | Daily Mail Online
I totally agree. :)
They seemed to have dropped the ball big time on more than 1 or 2 issues.
That this whole mess started with Unsworths T.V. interview broadcast by CNN, he was clearly 'identified', how didn't the jury understand this?

It seems clearer now that Unsworths vital role in the rescue has been completely played down, the lawyers not picking up on that was a massive mistake.

Musk and his lawyers invoked Stanton’s name numerous times, noting that the British volunteer had invited Musk’s contributions and provided guidance on what was needed.

On the witness stand however, Stanton paid tribute to Unsworth’s role in the rescue. “He was the first person to greet us and guide us through the chaos. He had the best knowledge of that cave … He guided us through the geography and culture.” Stanton also testified that Unsworth’s description and drawings of the cave passage were more detailed and valuable than other surveys of the area.

Under cross-examination, Stanton resisted efforts by Musk’s attorneys to diminish the importance of Unsworth’s contributions.

The cave diver also spoke twice to reporters outside the courtroom on issues that he had not been able to testify on, due to objections by Musk’s attorneys and rulings by the judge.
:confused:*??
Outside court, Richard Stanton, a diver who participated in the rescue and who gave evidence earlier in the day...

Stanton was “acutely disappointed” when he saw photos of the submarine Musk built, he said, noting that the pod appeared to lack life-support, ballast or trim systems. “I realized it could not work.”

Asked whether he agreed that it was a PR stunt, the diver said: “I think he had well-meaning intentions, but there must have been a point when surely his engineers discovered it was not possible, and what happened from that point, when he decided to bring it on site and showboat … you can decide for yourselves.”

Stanton also said that Musk’s visit to the cave with a *non-functioning mini-sub* “detracted from the rescue effort” by taking up the time of rescue personnel.

Stanton addressed the media again after hearing Unsworth’s testimony.

"It's shameful that Elon Musk isn't here to be able to look him in the eye and see the damage that he's caused."

^*??
I don't really understand this bit, why wouldn't he be allowed to testify?
I think the difference between the U.S. & British legal system's has been a big problem confusing a lot of things here. :confused:

The Guardian

Mr Stanton, a highly experienced diver who played a key role in the rescue and dived to the trapped boys through perilous caves several times, had communicated with Mr Musk about the submarine and encouraged him to continue working on it.

But he said he was "acutely disappointed" when he saw images and video of it being tested in a swimming pool. He was never shown the contraption in person.

"The tube was a lovely shiny tube but it would not have worked. It did not have an adequate life support system," he said. Mr Musk was "showboating" by bringing it to the caves and his presence "detracted from the rescue", Mr Stanton added. "Anything which was not involved in actually taking the children out and taking a person away from the actual rescue scene can't have done any actual good." :cool:

The Telegraph

*^ Kudos to Musk for not pursuing the 'costs' thing 《Sorry, I don't know the correct terminology :p

It's not like Elon doesn't share his wealth for the good and well being of others.
Nobody's disputing that!

To be clear I do have a lot of time for Musk, I actually kinda like 'Idiot' Musk, but he needs to stop with the butt-hurt tantrums over such stupid things.
Twitter rants & spatz, over enthusiastic self-inflated bs, ill thought out dumb moves or whatever else crazy comes from Musk is all good & well as long as he's not hurting innocent victims.

No one says an sucessful, inspiring businessman/role model can't still be a childish idiot & have fun, in all honesty it's refreshing to see things like the Cybertruck 'Ooops' launch,;) it's genuine! But, for most mature adults, knowing there's a time & a place for everything. Having the awareness to realise when it's not acceptable & you need to behave & act like an grown-up well... that is important.

Stealing the spotlight away from the kids themselves, overshadowing the whole rescue mission story by tarnishing it with selfish, needless shenanigans is despicable.

It's tragic as he has so much innovate potential, along with such enthusiastic charisma, gaffes, goofs, gimmicks & all, which he could put to far better use by encouraging & inspiring others to do so much more.

Attacks & insults on innocent people who did nothing more than selflessly, risk their life to HELP save the lives of children is horrible. The fact he just could not admit he was wrong, say it was a stupid outburst & simply apologise is extremely concerning for a man in such a high profile position. :mad:
Behaving like a stubborn, egotistical jerk IS seriously gonna affect any future advancements, particular potential 'corporate' ventures, which would be a HUGE loss, not only for companies he's involved in,... but for ALL of us.

And that is sad!

No longer applies! Once Musk agreed not to go after Unsworth for his legal costs the case is over. No appeals, done deal.
Good! :)
Thanks for explaining that. I only just saw your post about dropping the 'costs' thing

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoist Gracie
Back