The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

No details yet, just came over the Net, I'll post a thread!

email024.jpg

email025.jpg

email026.jpg

email027.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050913/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina_9;_ylt=Aqyk3cxVKlrmFkFUk0IPr9AbLisB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCU

New Orleans Death Toll Climbs to 423 l

Quote 1

The state Health Department said the death toll in Louisiana climbed to 423 Tuesday, up from 279 a day before. The jump came as recovery workers turned more and more of their attention to gathering up and counting the corpses in a city all but emptied out of the living. The death toll is all but certain to rise, because some flooded-out areas of the city have not been fully searched. But how high it might go is unclear. Authorities have cast strong doubt on the mayor's dire projection earlier this month of perhaps 10,000 dead

more at link....

Those are awesome pictures...scary, sad and awesome. Thanks!

TexMex said:
The AP is getting numbers:

Death Toll in Louisiana Climbs Past 400
Sep 13 4:32 PM US/Eastern

NEW ORLEANS

Hurricane Katrina's death toll in Louisiana climbed to 423 Tuesday, up from 279 a day before, the state Health Department said.
I heard this morning on T.V when they were discussing this and they said they hadn't even gotten to the deep water areas yet and won't until the water is drained.........:(

Thanks so much Mysteryiew for posting these. You are great.

These are from the dock in Gulfport where my hubby and co workers park while they are offshore.
He had the red van which seemed to only get water damage.
The first mate had the truck that is now under the large boat.
All the boats were supposed to be in the water, not in the parking lot,lol.
You can see the office which is a trailer is on it's side.
This is all just one small area. I can only imagine seeing miles of this.

Becba said:
Thanks so much Mysteryiew for posting these. You are great.

These are from the dock in Gulfport where my hubby and co workers park while they are offshore.
He had the red van which seemed to only get water damage.
The first mate had the truck that is now under the large boat.
All the boats were supposed to be in the water, not in the parking lot,lol.
You can see the office which is a trailer is on it's side.
This is all just one small area. I can only imagine seeing miles of this.

Thanks for sharing your photos, Becba! It sure is devastating to see all the damage that was done. Stay safe.

Itis scarey to because this is just a parking lot on a dock. Not houses.

I am amazed at the people that fought for their lives and lived.
My fathers last name was Ogborn. He had a sister married name shepherd (sp)
If anyone can find a David Ogborn or a Norma Shepard please let me know.
They were not poor that could not get out. They likely had confidence in their homes. I am hoping they left because Camile came thru when they lived there.
Ogborn is not so common of a name. I cannot find them and they were all on hwy 90.

Tom'sGirl said:
I heard this morning on T.V when they were discussing this and they said they hadn't even gotten to the deep water areas yet and won't until the water is drained.........:(

I feel sorry for the teams that eventually recover these bodies. Oh the horror. They'll never forget those images as long as they live.

ap_small.gif

Katrina Makes Top 10 Deadliest Disasters

By ROBERT TANNER, AP National Writer

Hurricane Katrina already has become the 10th deadliest natural disaster to strike this country, a tragic footnote that comes even as some of the dead are still uncounted.

So far, the official toll across five states is at 659, with New Orleans accounting for two-thirds of the dead. Those numbers, while horrific, raised the possibility that earlier fears of fatalities reaching 10,000 or more might not prove true.

If casualties rose that high, it would place the devastation in New Orleans and the surrounding Gulf Coast with such disasters as the Galveston Hurricane of 1900 or the Johnstown Flood of 1889, cataclysmic events that reshaped government policy and captured the nation's sympathy for generations.

"In recent history, this one's bound to be an extraordinary disaster," said Walter Gillis Peacock, director of the Hazard Reduction and Recovery Center at Texas A&M. That's not only because of the deaths and destruction, but also because of the vast numbers of people displaced, Peacock and other experts said.

"Just the fact that a major American city had to be evacuated, there's no precedent for that — not just in American history, but world history," said Theodore Steinberg, author of "Acts of God: The Unnatural History of Natural Disasters in America," and a history professor at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland.

Hurricane Andrew in 1992, up until now the most expensive hurricane, killed just 26 people, most in southern Florida. It doesn't even rank among the top 10 deadliest natural disasters.

Katrina, for now, has accounted for more deaths than the previous 10th deadliest disaster, the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935, a category 5 storm that struck the Florida Keys and killed an estimated 405 people.

Taking roughly 700 lives each were the Great New England Hurricane of 1938 (720 deaths estimated), the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906 (700 deaths estimated), the Georgia-South Carolina Hurricane of 1881 (700 deaths estimated) and the Tri-State Tornado of 1925, which took an estimated 695 lives in Missouri, Illinois and Indiana.

Only the deadliest five U.S. disasters killed 1,000 or more.

These include the Galveston Hurricane of 1900, with some 8,000 deaths; the Great Okeechobee Hurricane that struck Florida in 1928, with more than 2,500 dead; the Johnstown, Pa., Flood, 1889, estimated 2,200-plus; and two hurricanes in 1893 — one in Louisiana that killed more than 2,000, and one in South Carolina and Georgia that took somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 lives, according to Rusty Pfost, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service.

And the toll doesn't even compare to some of the sweeping devastation seen around the world, such as last year's tsunami or the deaths in Central America caused by Hurricane Mitch in 1998.

Steinberg said Katrina's latest toll places it squarely with a type of disaster that most lists don't even consider — deadly heat waves. He compared it to the 1995 heat wave in the Midwest that killed somewhere between 400 and 700 people, most in the Chicago area.

But the 2005 disaster may lodge itself more firmly in the public mind because of the searing images that came with it of evacuees left for days without food and water, the ineffectiveness of government officials, and the larger questions of national security that have preoccupied Americans since the 2001 terrorist attacks.

"As with other events, as time passes, the collective knowledge diminishes and people tend to forget about it," said Havidan Rodriguez, director of the Disaster Research Center at the University of Delaware. "We failed in terms of preparedness and response to this event. We can't really afford to forget."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9156612/Katrina death toll climbs past 700

Quote 1

MSNBC News Services
Updated: 10:44 p.m. ET Sept. 14, 2005

NEW ORLEANS - As cleanup efforts continued in New Orleans Wednesday and three nearby towns allowed residents to return home for the first time since Hurricane Katrina struck, authorities raised the number of confirmed fatalities to 711.

In a report after another grim day of collecting bodies in New Orleans and other areas hammered by the storm, Louisiana officials said the number of corpses collected had risen to 474.

There were 218 dead in Mississippi and another 19 deaths confirmed in Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee from the Aug. 29 storm

more at link....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9345608/

Wasn’t nobody coming to get us,’ one man says

NEW ORLEANS - For five eternal-seeming days, as many as 20,000 people, most of them black, waited to be rescued, not just from the floodwaters of Hurricane Katrina but from the nightmarish place where they had sought refuge.

During that time, the moon that hovered over the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center seemed closer than anyone who could provide those inside the center with any help.

Descent into danger
Leon Doby, 26, had gotten daughters Leah, 1, and Khaylin, 3, out of their home, put them in a crate, tied the crate with rope to his waist, then began swimming. He hustled his way, finally, onto a motorboat. It sped off to the Superdome, all aboard exhausted.

At the Superdome, they were rebuffed, and pointed in the direction of the convention center, 10 blocks away.

By the time Doby -- with the crate and the two daughters -- arrived Tuesday, he found himself gazing into thousands of bewildered faces. Gripping his daughters, he walked fast -- exactly where he was going, he did not know -- but passed an elderly lady who seemed to be listing in a wheelchair.

"I went down the hall," he said. "By the time I was back, she was already gone."

Long tragic story at link

I couldn't believe what I was seeing today on all the news networks. Mayor Nagin was standing up inviting people to come back INTO the city of New Orleans, even though the running water flowing from the city's taps isn't safe to eother drink or bathe in, there's nowhere to shop for groceries or work, and the city is still full of disease-bearing animals, insects, dead people, and there's still standing water in the streets.
Bear in mind, this was the same ninny telling people to take refuge in the Superdome. So I have my doubts as to his ability to properly assess the safety/wisdom of any given plan.
Why don't they simply admit that there's not enough man power to clean up the city and simply ask property owners to come in and help, rather than make it sound like it's going to be SOP?
And no one has yet to address the serious health concern that involves the fecal matter/leaded gas that, once the waters subside and the residue dries, will become airborne via winds.
If you're going to tell people they're welome to return to their homes, you should at least shoot straight and say: "If you're coming back, please, for the love of God, make sure you have been thoroughly innoculated for the following diseases, pack a gas mask, bring plenty of your own canned food and bottled water, and, above all else--DON'T BRING YOUR CHILDREN BACK WITH YOU."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back