The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

BarnGoddess said:
Is this near Gadsden? My father was stationed there just before he went overseas in WWII. I was born in Gadsden. I believe my parent
s lived off base then.
-----------------

Fort McClellan is in upper Northwest Ala. I believe it is near Anniston.

BarnGoddess was your dad in Infantry? 45th Thunderbird Division..

txsvicki said:
Right now, there are many people without food and water at the civic center. It's been reported that babies are dying of dehydration. They need to get out of there first and afterwards, I don't think that it would be a good idea at all to force a bunch of people onto some military base and make them help themselves by being cooks and lawn care workers. There are thousand of apartment complexes in every state where they can get low rent housing, food stamps, help with day care, and apply for jobs of their own choosing. These people know how to help themselves already, they just need to get some food and water to survive another hour.

During the depression, quonset huts were set up in city parks because there were just too many people that had nowhere to live. The children from one of them went to my school. The father of a friend of mine did the lawn mowing in the park after he came home from work. Some women babysat so both parents could work. Being a cook, babysitter, or gardener are not disgraceful things. Using the military bases would keep the government from building more low rent complexes. These people have no jobs to go back to and unemployment is high all over the country. Those that have skills will have a better chance to help themselves but whether they have skills or not, those bases are there already. I agree, they need food and water and a clean place to sleep. They can't stay in those temporary shelters for very long. I have been on a few military bases, and they are not bad. As their circumstances improve, they can leave.

Got it, MPI, and I'm all in favor of more wetlands.

ETA: I'm all for being sensible and environmentally conscious, but I have a hard time agreeing that one of the great cities of US history should be left a sink hole.

Built in a different way, maybe with fewer residents below sea level.

But abandoned? (Except for Cypros' research facility, of course.)

lorann said:
During the depression, quonset huts were set up in city parks because there were just too many people that had nowhere to live. The children from one of them went to my school. The father of a friend of mine did the lawn mowing in the park after he came home from work. Some women babysat so both parents could work. Being a cook, babysitter, or gardener are not disgraceful things. Using the military bases would keep the government from building more low rent complexes. These people have no jobs to go back to and unemployment is high all over the country. Those that have skills will have a better chance to help themselves but whether they have skills or not, those bases are there already. I agree, they need food and water and a clean place to sleep. They can't stay in those temporary shelters for very long. I have been on a few military bases, and they are not bad. As their circumstances improve, they can leave.

Also, most of the time after a base is closed the area suffers a depression of the economy too. Maybe this could help the citizens out as well....

Nova said:
Got it, MPI, and I'm all in favor of more wetlands.

ETA: I'm all for being sensible and environmentally conscious, but I have a hard time agreeing that one of the great cities of US history should be left a sink hole.

Built in a different way, maybe with fewer residents below sea level.

But abandoned? (Except for Cypros' research facility, of course.)
Of course..but what about a good-lookin' fun sink hole! With Venice like atmosphere.Could you adjust? If we fix it at whatever expence, and it happens again, another fix will be a hard sale, and there are some harder realities we much consider, like the Ol' Mississippi River jumping it's banks. Corp on Eng worry about that happening on a "good" day.

Cypros said:
I especially like the barrier reef idea. As you said, they need to find someplace to dump all of that debris. Might as well put it to practical use.

As for your idea about NO becoming a great pond.... elsewhere I proposed that they let the water stay put and use the area as a research center -- there are all kinds of things we can learn from this site and ways for it to be put to practical use WITH the water. It just couldn't be an urban center again. The site could also co-function as a historical monument
If we build more levees, we should hire the Dutch, their's have been good for 50 years.

The Fire Marshall has stopped anymore refugee's from entering the Dome. It has reached capacity at approx 8,000 people. Bus's are being turned away and redirected to other Cities as of 11:30 pm tonight. A far cry from the 25,000 previously anticipated to be sheltered in Houston.

Two more thoughts:

drinking water

Dean Kayman (inventor of Segway, portable insulin pump, the iBot) has recently invented a little machine that uses anything from cow dung to grass clippings for fuel. Putrid water goes in one end, and pure clean drinking water comes out the other. President Carter went to India with Dean to present it to the Indian government. We need a few thousand in N.O. now.

food

during the Afgan war, the U.S. would drop these little food packets from C-130's at considerable altitude. They were sucessful because they would spread out and not just drop on one spot, which helps the distribution making looting and hoarding more diffucult. They quit using them because the orange color was close to the color of the millions of land mines, and that became a problem. I say, dust them off and start dropping, now.

Magnum PI said:
Of course..but what about a good-lookin' fun sink hole! With Venice like atmosphere.Could you adjust? If we fix it at whatever expence, and it happens again, another fix will be a hard sale, and there are some harder realities we much consider, like the Ol' Mississippi River jumping it's banks. Corp on Eng worry about that happening on a "good" day.

MPI, I see the logic in what you are saying, but there are so few places in this country where we preserve history, I hate to give up on NO.

(I should mention I've never been there myself, but I know people who would never open a history book who have been to the French Quarter.)

I don't know what to make of this. Tonight on Greata the officials at the Astrodome said they were prepared to take as many refugees as necessary. The spokesman for the Astrodome used the figure of 50,000 when asked about capacity. So why are they filled at 8,000?

Maybe they have thought twice about the safety of their own city. 20 to 50 thousand is ALOT to take on. I think that these refugees should be divided up between many cities. The more the better. That is way too much for one city to take on, divide it up, better for all I think. Would make it easier for these people to find jobs, less competition, the schools would not be over burdened. Just makes sense to me.

I dunno? But I cant imagine spending 5 days in the Superdome, 8 hours on a hot bus to be told "Sorry theres no room at the INN" keep moving on down the road.

Nova said:
MPI, I see the logic in what you are saying, but there are so few places in this country where we preserve history, I hate to give up on NO.

(I should mention I've never been there myself, but I know people who would never open a history book who have been to the French Quarter.)[/QUOTE

I love the place and have been there many times. My daughter was conceived in the French Quarter(fun night)

I have a friend who has lived there for three generations, and just moved his facilities from Metarie to downtown NO. It was a big deal for him, and the city fathers even helped...he'll be ok, there are many stories like his.

Nova, I don't want to give up on N.O. rebirth, but I'm afraid it will not be the place we remembered once this is over...mpi

they didn't turn away anyone on the busses tonight...still 100 of them lined up and staged for triage processing as I type this.

this isn't official, but there's been a lot of mis-info tossed around by the TV bobbleheads.

the Astrodome will comfortably SEAT around 50,000 people give or take a few thousand, mostly take because it hasn't had that many people in it for years and years.

the refugees are set up on cots on the floor, and my guess is that a maximum of 7,500 could be reasonably comfortable there but with all the personal effects stacked around the cots one might reduce that number to around 5,000 who'd be able to exist for any period of time in any reasonable semblance of "comfort" considering the circumstances.

say 50 on each bus, and added to the peeps already in the dome around midnight, my guess is 12,500 to 15,000 people medically triaged and processed there tonight. many will be able to pass the night in the stadium seats and if they can provide cots the rest will be in Reliant Center adjacent to the dome.

come tomorrow, arrangements will be made to take the excess refugees to other facilities being set up from San Antonio to Huntsville to Dallas. there's a crew working all night to air condition a building at the old Kelly AFB in San Antonio as an example of one destination.

quite amazing and moving to actually get some real TV coverage from the local stations of the Dome, the volunteers, the professional management by the local police, fire departments, hospital staff.

as I watched, several people who'd seen the arrival while at home...drove down and volunteered to take in some of the people; brought clothing, water, food to those waiting to get in the Dome. volunteers arrived to assist in the care of the refugees, including 3 Baylor College of Medicine students who appeared to be of middle eastern descent. pastors who were coordinating shelter and services thru their church organizations, etc.

I might add that the Mayor's office had no notice the last busses were arriving and no way to coordinate with their counterparts in NOLA because there is zero available communication capability between the two cities as late as this afternoon.

our national agencies are failing in their efforts to handle this disaster to date...hopefully that will change ASAP.

Texas has a heart as big as the State itself...it was an amazing display of citizens reaching out to help their fellows.

[font=arial,sans-serif]Even as people from New Orleans desperately search for their family members and rescue workers patrol the region in boats, hack through roofs and try to pluck survivors out, some people in other parts of the country have begun to blame us, the victims. Our crime? Choosing to live in New Orleans.

Especially heartless were U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert and the writers of an editorial that appeared Wednesday in the Republican-American, a newspaper in Waterbury, Conn. Mr. Hastert was quoted by the Daily Herald of Arlington Heights, Ill., saying it makes no sense to rebuild New Orleans where it is. "It looks like a lot of that place could be bulldozed," he said.

The Republican-American's headline asks, "Is New Orleans worth reclaiming?" The editorial depicts our city and our people as a drain on federal coffers, and if you read it you might get the impression that New Orleans has never contributed to the economic vitality of this country. It maligns the city and our people as if we're nothing more than outstretched palms waiting for FEMA grants that only they fund.

How dare they?

After Mr. Hastert made his insensitive comments, his press secretary tried to spin them. The speaker didn't mean that there shouldn't be a New Orleans, the spokesperson said. He was just suggesting that as they rebuild, officials give serious thought to how future destruction could be prevented. That goes without saying. We're much more sophisticated now than we were when the city was founded in the 18th century. Of course our officials are going to rebuild in such a way that reduces the threat of future devastation.

At least President Bush realizes how valuable we are. He flew over the storm-ravaged areas of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama on Wednesday afternoon and seems sincerely sorrowful for all the people whose lives have been irreversibly changed by this storm. His promise to send aid, and lots of it, was encouraging. It's going to take a huge amount of money to rebuild New Orleans and a similarly large amount of assistance to sustain the hundreds of thousands of people who have been displaced.

Joe Riley knows it, too. As the mayor of Charleston, S.C., a coastal city that was torn apart by Hurricane Hugo in 1989, Mr. Riley not only is sympathetic to our plight, he defends our right, our need, to exist. When an interviewer for National Public Radio asked him, "Should there be a city where New Orleans is?" he said, "Of course, of course. Venice should always be Venice. And New Orleans always New Orleans. They'll make the levees bigger, and they'll make them stronger so this never happens again. But this city, so important to our country, of course it should always be there."

Surely the folks in Waterbury would want their city rebuilt if a natural disaster destroyed it, just as Rep. Hastert would demand that Chicago be given the same consideration. They ought to show compassion and respect for those of us down here who will be struggling for quite some time to piece together our lives.

President Bush is promising aid. The sooner we get it, the better. One thing is certain: We will rebuild. New Orleans is worth it. So are the people who call it home.

[/font]

The Astrodome is full. It would be a fire hazard if more are let in. They are opening Reliant Stadium which is on the same land. I'm going to see if I can volunteer this weekend.

For Houston residents or nearby residents:

Volunteer: go to the McNee entrance

Food, clothing, etc.: 610 feeder road West

tybee204 said:
The Fire Marshall has stopped anymore refugee's from entering the Dome. It has reached capacity at approx 8,000 people. Bus's are being turned away and redirected to other Cities as of 11:30 pm tonight. A far cry from the 25,000 previously anticipated to be sheltered in Houston.

OOOPS tybee. I started a thread about this. Maybe you can combine them. They are putting people in Reliant Stadium now. Which is right next door.

Astrodome has 12,000 and will stay that way. Reliant getting about 3,000 right now. Wonder what they will do with the first Texans home football game? Just wonderin'. I really don't care because it's better to help the evacuees out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back