The aftermath of the verdict *MERGED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to somehow object paying the legal aid money to murderers? It is appalling that the GBC'si legal team is going to appeal. I was thinking, if that flow of money stopped, GBC would be left on his own.

It is outrageous, but it's the law.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-...lasts-use-of-legal-aid-funding-for-mu/4984234

"There is no deterrent for these lifers not to appeal and no punishment for further stretching the tight budgets of the system."

It would be great if a book was written by the detectives, like the one that's just been released about Ivan Milat. Gives great insight into their tactics, apparently (I haven't read it yet).

I have heard there is a book being written by a journalist on this case.

It's not their Christianity that blinds them from the truth it's their family loyalty. Christians are not perfect. They have a hard road to travel and thankfully they are surrounded by people who will support them in their path. I don't think any of us are ever helped by the people who point the finger and treat us with distain. It's the people who get beside us and love us who have the most hope of driving home the point!!

Nope it's their Christianity, I know others from that same flock that believe people who get cancer only get it because they don't believe in god......

So, yesterday, I had to step out of QC Todd Fuller’s way. Literally.

I did not comment earlier, as yesterday was a time for collective expression of relief and gratitude that on 15 July 2014, JUSTICE WAS FINALLY ALLISON’S.

I was in the city for an appointment and walked through the Square in front of the Supreme Court an hour or so after the ‘life sentence’ was announced. Of course I knew what was happening: but I assumed friends/family had left the building by that time, and that the media scrum would be over: rushing to Wolston Prison and all that. Not quite.

Walking past wall to wall TV vans – first hint that all was not wrapped up at this location - I came across three big bunches of yellow balloons, tied to bollards on Roma St. I was struck by the sheer…hmm, no words will suffice here. I still don’t know if I was there just before, or after, the balloon release, and if these were leftovers or not.

Quite shocked, honestly, to be there at that time, unplanned. I paused for a few minutes on the other side of the square watching everyone else watching the doors of the Court building. As I started to walk away I noticed media rushing a small group of people. It was the Crown Prosecutor and one, maybe two others. Surrounded by cameras, but strangely - unless I missed something, (and I was very close) I heard no questions asked of Mr Fuller. Not sure if this was out of respect for TF, and/or out of respect for the just-heard moment of Allison’s justice?

Either way, from the quick view I had as I stepped off the footpath to let him/his team pass, I saw no jubilation. No sense of ‘we won’.

I think there was just all-round sadness, and no doubt, exhaustion.

Justice yes, thank God, and thanks to the remarkable work, tenacity and the sheer skill & passion of the Qld Police and Prosecution team. But no winners here in Brisbane, yesterday. No way.

Sad. Sad. Sad.

PS: My second-ever post comes with this second apology for such a long post!

Yes - you're right. The scalp was very decomposed, the hair came out in large tufts very easily, and the scalp slippage is the putrefied scalp slipping off the underlying bone. Sorry to be so graphic. But large areas of the scalp were actually missing, along with parts of the face, with the underlying skull visible.
Thanks for clarifying doc, I thought that was how it happened.

It would be great if a book was written by the detectives, like the one that's just been released about Ivan Milat. Gives great insight into their tactics, apparently (I haven't read it yet).
Oh, do you know what it's called? I need to read it!

It's part of a news story vid Marly you would have linked it a couple of years ago :)

Yes it was a 7News vid & I linked it probably 100's of times...lol. There's a screen shot of OW from that vid but seems the vid itself is no longer around.

I was watching channel 9 yesterday and they said that his family had gone in to say goodbye before he left. If i can find mention i'll post reference.

Snipped Respectfully :)

Thanks Amee
I wonder who the family member was.

Is there anywhere else you can remember seeing this quoted on the day.
I had a look through the msm we collected and I cant see it anywhere else.
If this is the case - I will edit my post above, as my impression from the media was that there was no acknowledgement, and that the families left before GBC was taken from the Court - with the exception of EBC who had left earlier.
Maybe it was that the BC family left the court to go to their room before the Dickies.
I will do a further search and see what I can find.
Many thanks
:seeya:

Oh, do you know what it's called? I need to read it!

Written by Clive Small...it was released around April this year...brilliant book!!

- Milat : Inside Australia's Biggest Manhunt

A Detective's Story
On the trail of a ... serial killer

April 19, 2014

Clive Small

When the bodies of seven backpackers were found in Belanglo State Forest south-west of Sydney in 1992 and 1993, it sparked Australia's biggest manhunt. Clive Small, who led the investigation, recalls the painstaking work that led police to Ivan Milat.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/on-the-trail-of-a--serial-killer-20140414-36m7u.html#ixzz37dIofkyp

Written by Clive Small...it was released around April this year...brilliant book!!

- Milat : Inside Australia's Biggest Manhunt

A Detective's Story
On the trail of a ... serial killer

April 19, 2014

Clive Small

When the bodies of seven backpackers were found in Belanglo State Forest south-west of Sydney in 1992 and 1993, it sparked Australia's biggest manhunt. Clive Small, who led the investigation, recalls the painstaking work that led police to Ivan Milat.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/on-the-trail-of-a--serial-killer-20140414-36m7u.html#ixzz37dIofkyp
Thanks Marly, I will be looking for that on the Google Books store before bed tonight!

I firmly believe that due to his personality disorder he has managed to block out the events of the 19th April 2012 and convince himself he didn't do it. I sincerely hope he gets some help in jail for his illness so that he is able to confess to the crime, mainly for his daughters sake. I doubt it though.

I actually believe, he thinks he had the RIGHT to do it, therefore, he should be treated differently, in his mind, no one will understand as he had already built himself up as deserving so much more, he had already made Allison feel like she didnt deserve him, he made his mistress feel like she was only worthy of him when he was ready, he made sure everyone knew how important he was ( thought he was) and therefore , he has justified his reasons for what he did. In his mind, it was not wrong what he did, it was the ONLY thing he could do, therefore , he is making himself the victim...This is the typical personality of a socio path with narcissism.... if someone else did it to his Sister, he would be coming down on them like a tonne of bricks, but it is different because it is him, and in his mind, he had no choice and he blames Allison for what he did, just as he blamed all his failures in life on someone or something else.. I bet if I could sit sith people he worked with in the past or had relationships with in the past, they would say something along these lines....

He knows he did it, but in his mind he is innocent because he truly believes it was Allison's fault that he did it, it was her fault she was not up to his standard anymore..

His family are of similar attitude, and while they are not killers, they all have the same self importance, arrogance and feeling like they are above the rules that apply to all us laymen.

His Sister showed that during his only interview and his parents showed that with the sick kissing and mocking the police with fruit bowls, I hope now that everyone stops feeling sorry for his family, they made their bed, they can lie in it as far as I am concerned, at least it will be more comfortable than Kholo Creek!!!

Snipped Respectfully :)

Thanks Amee
I wonder who the family member was.

Is there anywhere else you can remember seeing this quoted on the day.
I had a look through the msm we collected and I cant see it anywhere else.
If this is the case - I will edit my post above, as my impression from the media was that there was no acknowledgement, and that the families left before GBC was taken from the Court - with the exception of EBC who had left earlier.
Maybe it was that the BC family left the court to go to their room before the Dickies.
I will do a further search and see what I can find.
Many thanks
:seeya:

Sarah Elks @sarahelks · Jul 14

Gerard Baden-Clay's mother is being led from the courtroom. His father, his sister, and brother remain. #badenclay

It was on the News here lastnight as well cant remember if it was 7 or 9 though sorry.

I actually believe, he thinks he had the RIGHT to do it, therefore, he should be treated differently, in his mind, no one will understand as he had already built himself up as deserving so much more, he had already made Allison feel like she didnt deserve him, he made his mistress feel like she was only worthy of him when he was ready, he made sure everyone knew how important he was ( thought he was) and therefore , he has justified his reasons for what he did. In his mind, it was not wrong what he did, it was the ONLY thing he could do, therefore , he is making himself the victim...This is the typical personality of a socio path with narcissism.... if someone else did it to his Sister, he would be coming down on them like a tonne of bricks, but it is different because it is him, and in his mind, he had no choice and he blames Allison for what he did, just as he blamed all his failures in life on someone or something else.. I bet if I could sit sith people he worked with in the past or had relationships with in the past, they would say something along these lines....

He knows he did it, but in his mind he is innocent because he truly believes it was Allison's fault that he did it, it was her fault she was not up to his standard anymore..

His family are of similar attitude, and while they are not killers, they all have the same self importance, arrogance and feeling like they are above the rules that apply to all us laymen.

His Sister showed that during his only interview and his parents showed that with the sick kissing and mocking the police with fruit bowls, I hope now that everyone stops feeling sorry for his family, they made their bed, they can lie in it as far as I am concerned, at least it will be more comfortable than Kholo Creek!!!

:goodpost:

Completely agree! You just said that all so well!!

Omg! That is bad news! But how and why? I was of the understanding that his defence team were the best of the best and I didn't think that's what you got through legal aid? Unless they are in need of publicity and I didn't think that would be the case with the lawyers he had. Although I have no idea when it comes to this sort of thing...

A lot of good ( profile and criminal) lawyers do pro bono ( legal aid pays them the standard which is way under what they normally charge, therefore classed as pro bono) It is free advetising, they get their faces on the media for days on end, other people remember and they get work out of it and one day write a biography or something.

the smart lawyer was the first one who chewed up all his money before it even got to court, and the lawyer he had before would of never let him take the stand in a million years, trust me, you get what you pay for in all trades

At times I was deeply uncomfortable with what I felt was a vigilante mentality in the threads and was unwilling to ascribe every single anecdote as an indicator of GBC being a foul and blackhearted murderer who had been roaming around with a figurative dagger up his sleeve for years prior to Allison's murder.

That said, I never truly expected GBC to be found not guilty. I always felt he was guilty. I couldn't see a logical alternative explanation. The simplest, most likely explanation is usually the truth. However, because the whole affair as a catalyst scenario didn't really ring true for me, I did wonder if he might get off. Not as an innocent man, but on a technicality, so to speak.

I didn't feel any kind of triumph or disappointment at the verdict…I actually felt deeply depressed. I just felt like the girls were probably, deep down in their little hearts, hoping that somehow it would be found that Daddy didn't murder Mummy. The Dickies were still going to have to go home that night and tell them that Daddy is now officially a convicted murderer. I really, really had hoped for a viable alternative scenario, for the sake of his daughters, but I couldn't think of one that would also be fair to Allison.

I have no opinion on the Baden-Clays - I really don't know if they were involved at all, but if they weren't, I can feel for them. A son, a brother, is a convicted murderer. A child borne from your womb, a childhood playmate.

I have been transfixed by the human drama of it all. How one man, who had the world at his feet in his youth, managed to completely and totally ruin his life and the life of most of the people he touched. I find it jaw-dropping that one person could have such a negative impact on so many people and yet somehow seem oblivious to it all. Even though I already felt that GBC was a weak and flawed man, the titbits coming out now shock me anew. The utter selfishness and lack of empathy for others, particularly his daughters, is breathtaking. All to maintain a certain facade that he felt was desirable. He was all about the money, the image, social standing. He couldn't see the treasure that he already had (supportive family, a beautiful and intelligent wife who wanted a full and loving relationship with him, 3 delightful children, the ability and means to support a fairly comfortable lifestyle if only he could be honest about his net worth and cut his cloth accordingly) was worth far more.

This is a truly a tragedy, echoes of which will still be felt in the next generation.

Someone posited in an earlier thread that perhaps Allison would have been happy for her daughters to still have their father bringing them up despite his actions and perhaps a not guilty verdict could be acceptable with that in mind. I thought about that a lot, but concluded that Allison's marking of her killer was answer enough. No, I don't believe so, but I understand the thinking behind it. With everything we know about GBC, a GBC that had literally gotten away with murder would be a dangerous man indeed.

I hope the shock of his immense fall from grace is the catalyst for some serious soul-searching and rehabilitation. And my love goes out to those little girls, that they can find a way to live with this knowledge and history and form relationships of love and trust.

Thank you. So very well put.

Hello Isisrising,
There was evidence (pathology), of blunt force trauma, suppressed during the trial (the final decision to suppress was granted on the basis it may unfairly influence the jury). In respect to Allison's chipped tooth, I have always believed the injury to GBC's hand was as a result of Allison's tooth/teeth/mouth coming into direct contact with his hand as he took her life.
In the end the suppressed evidence was not needed to get the (correct) guilty conviction.

Hello Isisrising,
There was evidence (pathology), of blunt force trauma, suppressed during the trial (the final decision to suppress was granted on the basis it may unfairly influence the jury). In respect to Allison's chipped tooth, I have always believed the injury to GBC's hand was as a result of Allison's tooth/teeth/mouth coming into direct contact with his hand as he took her life.
In the end the suppressed evidence was not needed to get the (correct) guilty conviction.

Thank you for that info! :seeya:

Tomorrow's front page of the Courier Mail www.couriermail.com.au
ramahybe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads