The British Royal Family #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article

The Queen and Princess Margaret were not evacuated during World War II because they wanted to stay with their family

The King and Queen officially stayed at Buckingham Palace in London during the war but would spend nights with their children in Windsor. The couple narrowly avoided death when the palace was bombed in 1940 during the Blitz, after which the Queen said she felt she "could look the East End in the face". The King and Queen regularly visited badly damaged areas throughout the country after the air raids, as well as hospitals and factories, and met troops.

In 1945, Princess Elizabeth became the first female member of the royal family to join the Armed Services as a full-time member, at the age of 19. During her time in the Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) she learnt to drive and to maintain vehicles.

At the end of the war on VE Day, Elizabeth and Margaret secretly mingled with the crowds on the streets of London to celebrate. In 1985, she gave a Radio 4 interview in which she recalled memories of the day, saying: "We cheered the King and Queen on the balcony and then walked miles through the streets. I remember lines of unknown people linking arms and walking down Whitehall, all of us just swept along on a tide of happiness and relief."

Austrian Archduke Karl von Habsburg, 59, becomes the first royal in the world to be diagnosed with coronavirus - but insists he is 'fine' and brands the illness 'annoying'

Austrian Archduke Karl von Habsburg, 59, becomes first royal in the world diagnosed with coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

I went to university with someone descended from the Habsburgs (not that you'd know it, he was a very loud and proud Brummie!). Didn't they historically have a unique facial characteristic or something?

I really hope none of our royals gets struck down with this virus.

Prince William and Kate Middleton pay tribute to Irish Guards on St Patrick's Day

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge paid tribute to the Irish Guards on St Patrick's Day on Tuesday with a special Instagram post. Prince William, who is Colonel of the Regiment, usually attends the annual parade with wife Kate at the Calvary Barracks in Hounslow.

This year's public event did not take place as the majority of the Regiment are on deployment overseas. In tribute to their work, the royal couple posted a series of photos of the Irish Guards in their deployments in South Sudan and Iraq, along with more information about the troops.

Theres a tiara for sale!

_111115280_hancocks.jpg

The lower row of diamonds can detach to be a necklace

_111115287_29sp-jewelry-inyt2-superjumbo.jpg

Heres a very interesting article about one of its very eccentric former owners
A tiara, scandals and 'erased queer history'

I went to university with someone descended from the Habsburgs (not that you'd know it, he was a very loud and proud Brummie!). Didn't they historically have a unique facial characteristic or something?

I really hope none of our royals gets struck down with this virus.

It was a disorder, Hasburg Jaw.

1IQnfI2K-qfzstJEmtaCouXGK7uPqhn_Gf-jAu80_YUYPnQV-0X_R0HE9_FcOiqCq2zVEq9l8ipd4BiTSo-JO3_MYtyFk4lDHfFZFrinluPH2y9-xQjbvg

26512227.jpg

10645672-6777003-image-a-27_1551883459531.jpg

Eleonore von Habsburg

Last edited:
Theres a tiara for sale!

_111115280_hancocks.jpg

Oh my word he sounds AMAZING, wish he was still around today!

"He bought a car that converted the exhaust fumes into rose-scented perfume, he had a fleet of poodles. He made a ping-pong jacket and wanted it to be green - so he made it out of real emeralds"

The Queen of Denmark makes passionate statement about coronavirus pandemic:

Margarethe II, has issued a passionate plea to the people of Denmark, asking them to "wash hands", "keep distance", and "stay at home," in a bid to keep the coronavirus pandemic at bay. The royal family shared a video on Instagram in which the queen referred to the virus as a "chain that needs to be broken". She asked that people heed the advice of the authorities, and warned that "one person may infect many".

A translation of the royal's full statement read: "I have an appeal to everyone: coronavirus is a dangerous guest. It spreads like rings in the water, and it's going fast. One person can infect many – even without feeling sick, and the infection goes on around to even more, a long and scary chain. In that chain, people will die. A child can lose his grandmother, a daughter her father, a wife her husband. Friends suddenly don't want to be there anymore. This is the chain we need to break, and we can break. This can only happen when we all think about and do the same thing at the same time – and in the right time. The advice of the authorities is actually quite simple: wash hands. Keep your distance. Avoid physical contact. Stay at home."

Theres a tiara for sale!

_111115280_hancocks.jpg

Oh my word he sounds AMAZING, wish he was still around today!

"He bought a car that converted the exhaust fumes into rose-scented perfume, he had a fleet of poodles. He made a ping-pong jacket and wanted it to be green - so he made it out of real emeralds"

Henry Cyril Paget
the fifth Marquess of Anglesey

Never heard of him, but I'm very interested now. He's intriguing, a unique person, he reminds me of a rock star. I look forward to reading the whole article and more about him when I'm not so tired. This is such an interesting thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member