The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's in Probate ;)

It looks like it's in mid-renovation. Freshly plastered, painted walls & ceilings, skylights, laminate, sockets & the plumbers just been welding those pipes :p etc.
So I think the 'attic' has been recently converted into an extra bedroom.
57498965.jpg

57498992.jpg
57498982.jpg
Kitchen, bathroom look semi ripped-out.
Either it could be basic updates to sell (but why bother only to auction it off for a pittance of it's potential value?) or the 'estate benefactor' began the renovation but has given up for some reason?

Basically the only work it really needs doing is mainly 'cosmetic' - a place that size wouldn't cost much to completely rip out & replace the entire bathroom, kitchen!

Roof is fine ;) New skylights have been fitted & interior has been plastered, painted...
It's mid-terrace, it's in the same condition as the rest (consistent tiling the full length along row)

Do you mean the area of 'land' it's built on?
It's only a tiny cottage - basically 1 (big) room width
(approx. 8m x 4.5m X3 :D )

The garden looks quite large thou
57499018.jpg
57499026.jpg
HammerPriceProperties

*:cool: I just had a thought - Maybe there isn't any benefactor?
I'm confused. Maybe I'm not looking at the right pictures? What I saw was a long narrow building with several windows across the front, and what looked like 2 or 3 front entrances?

MEGHAN MARKLE and Prince Harry could be set to lose their Sussex titles after thousands of residents signed a cruel petition, that proves “disdain for The Crown”, according to a royal expert
:rolleyes: Coz like
that's gonna happen... Never!​

e6c938e8dcd85937c6f4e66ad30b3d7d.jpg

;) He's needing a few thousand more signatures before it would ever reach Parliament to be considered - which it wouldn't be!

Parliament of the United Kingdom
Although the UK Parliament's Petitions Committee considers all petitions which receive 100,000 signatures or more, there is no automatic parliamentary debate of those that pass this threshold...

It's in Probate ;)

It looks like it's in mid-renovation. Freshly plastered, painted walls & ceilings, skylights, laminate, sockets & the plumbers just been welding those pipes :p etc.
So I think the 'attic' has been recently converted into an extra bedroom.
57498965.jpg

57498992.jpg
57498982.jpg
Kitchen, bathroom look semi ripped-out.
Either it could be basic updates to sell (but why bother only to auction it off for a pittance of it's potential value?) or the 'estate benefactor' began the renovation but has given up for some reason?

Basically the only work it really needs doing is mainly 'cosmetic' - a place that size wouldn't cost much to completely rip out & replace the entire bathroom, kitchen!

Roof is fine ;) New skylights have been fitted & interior has been plastered, painted...
It's mid-terrace, it's in the same condition as the rest (consistent tiling the full length along row)

Do you mean the area of 'land' it's built on?
It's only a tiny cottage - basically 1 (big) room width
(approx. 8m x 4.5m X3 :D )

The garden looks quite large thou
57499018.jpg
57499026.jpg
HammerPriceProperties

*:cool: I just had a thought - Maybe there isn't any benefactor?
I'm confused. Maybe I'm not looking at the right pictures? What I saw was a long narrow building with several windows across the front, and what looked like 2 or 3 front entrances?

Royals certainly have their choice of PDA while 'working' but most do not demonstrate while on official duties. Perhaps Kate wanted to maintain the royal protocol. I think what Wills did was cute though. I just think it caught Kate off guard.
upload_2019-12-19_15-32-0.png
That time that Prince William apparently forgot Kate? LOL!

My house was built in the 1850’s and has a cellar :eek: with 3 rooms...

Also a gorgeous huge old fireplace with stone lintel which they’d have cooked on. We’re in the middle of converting it into a second living room, a study and a ‘man cave’ for putting all Mr Cags man crap in!
;) Beware, you never know what may be unearthed in ye olde British cellars.

0_Fred-West.jpg

457BD82500000578-4997628-image-a-33_1508427965850.jpg

House of Horrors - 25 Cromwell Street
Investigation into Cromwell Street killers Fred and Rose West

:D Why Was Benjamin Franklin’s Basement Filled With Skeletons?

Repairs on Franklin’s old London house turned up 1200 pieces of bone from at least 15 people
excavation-work.jpg
Smithsonian

The Chilling Story Behind the Skeletons in Benjamin Franklin's Basement

But a macabre discovery below the London townhouse that Franklin occupied during his post as ambassador to the Court of St. James led to the discomfiting question—was Franklin also a murderer?
human-bones.jpg
In 1998, a team of renovators working on restoring the former Franklin abode uncovered over 1,200 human bones in the basement of the house. The renovators and conservationists were stunned, and the bones were quickly analyzed.
Benjamin Franklin's Basement

:) There's nothing more Christmassy than a Victorian era fireplace!
f42e4124394d7fefdd5c832d635c6405.jpg

Thing is, because the Queen and family are partly publicly funded, there would be outcry if she was spending loads or giving them extravagant gifts - especially at this time of year as there are lots of campaigns to help the homeless and families in need. I can just imagine the nasty headlines.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I agree.

However if I worked for Her Majesty I would want the Vladimir tiara as a Christmas bonus to put on eBay or take to the pawnbrokers a Christmas pudding or shopping vouchers would be a disappointment.

1CDD3B99-1CC2-4817-82F1-2D1CFC21244B.png

The Vladimir Tiara | The Court Jeweller

;) Beware, you never know what may be unearthed in ye olde British cellars.

0_Fred-West.jpg

457BD82500000578-4997628-image-a-33_1508427965850.jpg

House of Horrors - 25 Cromwell Street
Investigation into Cromwell Street killers Fred and Rose West

:D Why Was Benjamin Franklin’s Basement Filled With Skeletons?

Repairs on Franklin’s old London house turned up 1200 pieces of bone from at least 15 people

excavation-work.jpg
Smithsonian

The Chilling Story Behind the Skeletons in Benjamin Franklin's Basement

But a macabre discovery below the London townhouse that Franklin occupied during his post as ambassador to the Court of St. James led to the discomfiting question—was Franklin also a murderer?
human-bones.jpg
In 1998, a team of renovators working on restoring the former Franklin abode uncovered over 1,200 human bones in the basement of the house. The renovators and conservationists were stunned, and the bones were quickly analyzed.
Benjamin Franklin's Basement

:) There's nothing more Christmassy than a Victorian era fireplace!
f42e4124394d7fefdd5c832d635c6405.jpg

Nothing like a Christmas Horror Story...

I just bought one of these for my kitten who likes to "help" me iron :eek:
quilt blocks on the kitchen counter. Now she sits on the mini board and stays out of my way.
What...Wut???

How come NO BODY ELSE is asking questions here? :confused:
*LIKES* ironing!?
2861548c715f9e7e9489f3981f95a9f5.gif
Come on guys, surely it's not only me who wants to know where I can get one :p

Hey!
To me a "cottage" would only have about 4 or 5 windows & have only one floor - and would be a wee bit smaller than this "cottage". LOL!

;)*What about little Prince Louis??!! How come he has to stay home??!! Poor kid! :(
Church services are boring for little kids :p

;)The article was badly worded as it was about both Prince George & Princess Charlotte attending the service for the 1st time as they are now considered old enough.
I guess that's probably thought to be 'full-time school-age'? :confused:
These pics?
0_EL_GLO1112019HydeCottage_01.jpg

4c01c21244a5d950ec062fd1f3b20b0ccf8a490b.jpg
:D Ok. I really am gonna need do this...
* also I now see I'm gonna need post a brief lesson in the history of
The English Church Terrace House
:p
I promise I will be back & attempt to answer these questions but for now here's a little teaser :cool:

Attachments

• Alms Houses.jpg
    Alms Houses.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 359
:( Prince Philip admitted to hospital with pre-existing condition, Palace confirms

The Duke of Edinburgh has been admitted to hospital with a pre-existing condition, Buckingham Palace has confirmed.

In a statement, the palace said:

"The Duke of Edinburgh travelled from Norfolk this morning to the King Edward VII Hospital in London for observation and treatment in relation to a pre-existing condition. The admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’ Doctor."
The Telegraph

that is really pathetic. She probably got a deal for ordering so many. Is there nothing else she could have given?:D
But Christmas isn't supposed to be about 'giving pressies'
cdfb0c1a7faaeef2aeca9fce94e27131.gif
Whatever happened to 'It's the thought that counts!'? ;)
It’s a tradition started by the Queens grandfather over 100 years ago.
:rolleyes:

Odd rituals of a Royal Christmas
Rather, the staff members are treated to an ancient royal tradition dating back to the rule of King George V.

According to the official website of the Royal Family, the Queen gives each member of her staff a Christmas pudding, a tradition started originally by her grandfather, King George V.

King George V began the tradition by handing out Christmas puddings to strangers as a gesture of festive goodwill...

giphy.gif
The Queen also gives around 1,450 puddings to her all her staff, pensioners, the men and women who work in the Court Post Office, the 50-odd men from the Department Of The Environment who look after the fabric of the building and the palace police force.

In previous years, it was reported that the monarch favoured puddings from Harrods or Fortnum & Mason - the royal grocer...

However, this is not all the royal staff receive at Christmas. ;)

By tradition, the Queen gives one hundredweight of coal to “deserving and needy” people in Windsor.

Spare a thought, then, for the Royal Family – or at least their staff – who began preparations for the festivities as long ago as March.

That was when the Queen’s chief housekeeper circulated a letter to every member of the royal household asking them what they would like Her Majesty to give them for Christmas.

Yes, they get to choose their own present -
they cannot have anything – as Prince Charles might put it – “above their station” :p
*This means the most junior staff can have a gift worth £28, increasing year by year to a maximum of £35

Then, in the week before Christmas they all troop into one of the State Apartments to receive their presents from the Queen.

... they come forward to meet the Queen, who hands over their beautifully wrapped present.

:pThen, everyone who works at the palace is invited to a drinks party in the ballroom – as they no longer have a formal staff Christmas ball.

shutterstock_2063804a-760x506.jpg

Queen Mary doing her Christmas shopping - 1922
The wife of King George V, Queen Mary (born Mary of Teck) opens the holiday shopping season with a visit to Harrods department store in London, where she purchased many of her Christmas gifts.
At one time, the Queen liked to do her Christmas shopping personally, so Harrods, then royalty’s favourite store, was delighted to open after hours exclusively for her. But security measures have become so strict that, these days, Her Majesty does all her shopping through catalogues and via the internet.

191116SDMHarrods01_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqUm2wzpY2YxqLXSGuT1rMRr-VeRQO6cLr1kXIk7bPb5s.jpg

Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret visit Harrods Christmas Grotto with their mother

*Note: Article from Dec 2007

Rarely Seen Royal Family Christmas Photos
The Telegraph

But Christmas isn't supposed to be about 'giving pressies'
cdfb0c1a7faaeef2aeca9fce94e27131.gif
Whatever happened to 'It's the thought that counts!'? ;)
:rolleyes:

Rather, the staff members are treated to an ancient royal tradition dating back to the rule of King George V.

According to the official website of the Royal Family, the Queen gives each member of her staff a Christmas pudding, a tradition started originally by her grandfather, King George V.

King George V began the tradition by handing out Christmas puddings to strangers as a gesture of festive goodwill...

giphy.gif
The Queen also gives around 1,450 puddings to her all her staff, pensioners, the men and women who work in the Court Post Office, the 50-odd men from the Department Of The Environment who look after the fabric of the building and the palace police force.

In previous years, it was reported that the monarch favoured puddings from Harrods or Fortnum & Mason - the royal grocer...

However, this is not all the royal staff receive at Christmas. ;)

By tradition, the Queen gives one hundredweight of coal to “deserving and needy” people in Windsor.

Spare a thought, then, for the Royal Family – or at least their staff – who began preparations for the festivities as long ago as March.

That was when the Queen’s chief housekeeper circulated a letter to every member of the royal household asking them what they would like Her Majesty to give them for Christmas.

Yes, they get to choose their own present -
they cannot have anything – as Prince Charles might put it – “above their station” :p
*This means the most junior staff can have a gift worth £28, increasing year by year to a maximum of £35

Then, in the week before Christmas they all troop into one of the State Apartments to receive their presents from the Queen.

... they come forward to meet the Queen, who hands over their beautifully wrapped present.

:pThen, everyone who works at the palace is invited to a drinks party in the ballroom – as they no longer have a formal staff Christmas ball.

shutterstock_2063804a-760x506.jpg

Queen Mary doing her Christmas shopping - 1922

At one time, the Queen liked to do her Christmas shopping personally, so Harrods, then royalty’s favourite store, was delighted to open after hours exclusively for her. But security measures have become so strict that, these days, Her Majesty does all her shopping through catalogues and via the internet.

191116SDMHarrods01_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqUm2wzpY2YxqLXSGuT1rMRr-VeRQO6cLr1kXIk7bPb5s.jpg

Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret visit Harrods Christmas Grotto with their mother

*Note: Article from Dec 2007

Rarely Seen Royal Family Christmas Photos
The Telegraph

that is very nice re the gifts.

the thought that counts is that the Queen remembers her staff. I wonder if she meets them all ?

at one time when I taught art, I had 1,500 different students every two weeks. The same students all year.

I did get to know them over the course of time. But, I taught at a school where there was a lot of moving .

I wonder how much turnover there is

Although the coin was not minted until the sixteenth century, the value of a shilling had been used for accounting purposes since the Anglo-Saxon period.

It was first minted in the reign of Henry VII as the testoon, and became known as the shilling* from the Old English scilling* sometime in the mid-16th century,
circulating until 1990.

:oops:
O.k. I admit I was lol-ing thinking how old must that heater have been but then I read ^ 1990?? I can't remember EVER seeing a shilling in use.

*Schilling = Shilling/Scilling
:D
You Americans & your English language

If you remember the old five pence and ten pence pieces....same size and metal, but very old ones where actually the shilling (ten pence piece) and half shilling (five pence piece).

They had either George VI or the very, very young QE2 on them. They were very attractive coins.

I'm only in my mid-40s and I remember them still circulating in the 80s.

The ten pence was often called by older people 'a bob' and the five pence was often called a 'half bob'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici