The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
You come to Canada you eat Poutine. It's a must.
ETA-https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/what-is-poutine

Oh, I had to look that up. Wow, yum!

Description
Poutine is a dish that includes french fries and cheese curds topped with a brown gravy. It originated in the Canadian province of Quebec and emerged in the late 1950s in the Centre-du-Québec area. It has long been associated with Quebec cuisine

Now that sound good.
8024df764535c768344d37c056628009.jpg
If only the description used the word CHIPS :p

They sure have. He’s published them on his Youtube channel, Facebook page and other platforms. I don’t want to post his name but he’s easy to find if you’re interested in hearing their stories.

Aw, what a fantastic project. And coming from such an interested young man is very moving. I look forward to checking it out. Thank you so much for posting this, alwaysonmymind.

My ex’s father who I adored was at DDay, and received the French legion of honor award in 2010 iirc... he died this year at 98.

They sure have. He’s published them on his Youtube channel, Facebook page and other platforms. I don’t want to post his name but he’s easy to find if you’re interested in hearing their stories.

Thanks I will certainly check out his channel :)

I thought this may be of interest about Sainte-Mère-Église

Sainte-Mère-Église

Church tower, windows pay tribute to paratroopers who jumped into first town liberated during World War II
22234840-france-the-church-of-sainte-mere-eglise-in-normandie.jpg
SAINTE MERE EGLISE, France -- It was the middle of the night and the town of Sainte Mere Eglise was on fire. Occupied by the Germans since June 18, 1940, the town had survived several allied air raids...

At about 1:30 a.m. that day -- June 6, 1944 -- the sky filled with hundreds of American paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne Division. Well lit by the flames beneath them, the paratroopers were easy targets for the startled German soldiers on the ground. One of those paratroopers was Pvt. John Steele.

During his landing, Steele's parachute became caught in the steeple of the church in the middle of the town square. Shot through the foot, Steele hung there for two hours pretending to be dead before the Germans noticed him and cut him down...

At approximately 4:30 a.m. Sainte Mere Eglise became the first town in France to be liberated."

DSC_0745-1.jpg

Today a uniformed mannequin hangs from a parachute and rigging on the steeple, in honor of Steele, his fateful jump and the liberation of the town.

This was all portrayed in the movie 'The Longest Day'

Also scenes in 'Saving Private Ryan' were set & filmed in the town I'm pretty sure.

The Longest Day (film) - Wikipedia
Church tower, windows pay tribute to paratroopers who jumped into first town liberated during World

DH and I shared Poutine at an eatery at Eaton Centre on one of our (many) trips to Toronto. Not really my cup of tea, but I had to try it once. Poutine is on the menu at The Salty Dog on Princess ships, so maybe I'll have it again next winter.

Aw, what a fantastic project. And coming from such an interested young man is very moving. I look forward to checking it out. Thank you so much for posting this, alwaysonmymind.

My ex’s father who I adored was at DDay, and received the French legion of honor award in 2010 iirc... he died this year at 98.

Wow, 98 years old. What a full life your father-in-law must have lived. I know you cherish your memories of him.

Oh My ... I have to say,
What a great & talented kid!
Very professional work

^ *13 Million Views* already

As it's almost 3a.m. here :confused: I only had quick look but so impressed.
I've subscribed ;)

Thanks I will certainly check out his channel :)

I thought this may be of interest about Sainte-Mère-Église

Sainte-Mère-Église

Church tower, windows pay tribute to paratroopers who jumped into first town liberated during World War II
22234840-france-the-church-of-sainte-mere-eglise-in-normandie.jpg
SAINTE MERE EGLISE, France -- It was the middle of the night and the town of Sainte Mere Eglise was on fire. Occupied by the Germans since June 18, 1940, the town had survived several allied air raids...

At about 1:30 a.m. that day -- June 6, 1944 -- the sky filled with hundreds of American paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne Division. Well lit by the flames beneath them, the paratroopers were easy targets for the startled German soldiers on the ground. One of those paratroopers was Pvt. John Steele.

During his landing, Steele's parachute became caught in the steeple of the church in the middle of the town square. Shot through the foot, Steele hung there for two hours pretending to be dead before the Germans noticed him and cut him down...

At approximately 4:30 a.m. Sainte Mere Eglise became the first town in France to be liberated."

DSC_0745-1.jpg

Today a uniformed mannequin hangs from a parachute and rigging on the steeple, in honor of Steele, his fateful jump and the liberation of the town.

This was all portrayed in the movie 'The Longest Day'

Also scenes in 'Saving Private Ryan' were set & filmed in the town I'm pretty sure.

The Longest Day (film) - Wikipedia
Church tower, windows pay tribute to paratroopers who jumped into first town liberated during World

Wow, what a great story! Thank you for sharing.

I remember seeing a photo of the stained glass windows but didn’t know the story of the paratrooper getting caught on the steeple. Amazing.

Oh My ... I have to say,
What a great & talented kid!
Very professional work

^ *13 Million Views* already

As it's almost 3a.m. here :confused: I only had quick look but so impressed.
I've subscribed ;)

It’s been fun seeing his progress.

He’s also on Facebook and Instagram and will have live feeds from the D-Day ceremonies tomorrow.

Unfortunately climate denial is a political pawn piece here in USA. And it is a hot political issue going into the elections.

Actions speak louder than words... We could rejoin the Paris climate accord anytime...

That’s not going to happen with this administration.

Prince Charles is way ahead of the curve. But I’d wager it moves no needle in the climate denying USA.

MORE APPLAUSE!!!!

Wow, 98 years old. What a full life your father-in-law must have lived. I know you cherish your memories of him.

Thank you so much. I feel emotional about DDay this year, and it’s because of this very brave and incredible man and father I came to know. Receiving the legion of honor at the French embassy meant a lot to this navy hero.

I’ll be watching the news coverage tomorrow. I’m amazed at all the veterans who made the trip and will be there to remember and share memories with each other.

F3C424D7-EE35-4EC8-9EAC-B105405BE57C.jpeg
Couldn’t wait until I went to the library lol, but I had remembered today that I have an audible subscription! (Doh!)

I am extremely lucky in that I have a job that 50% of my day I can just slip on my Bluetooth ear buds and listen to music, books or podcasts. :D So excited to start listening!

OT—You’re not alone! My husband grits his teeth and angrily mutters “space age plastic” whenever he has to open an OTC med or other item encased in the stuff.

IIRC it all started with the Tylenol Murders so companies could CYA and avoid being sued.
Chicago Tylenol murders - Wikipedia

However Carol Burnett did a classic skit “Can You Open This” that may have preceded the Tylenol Murders. Enjoy!

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming. :D

O/t response, On the medicine bottles, turn the cap upside down and screw on. If you have no kids to worry about, that way does not have the childproof feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther