The Cost of Justice for Caylee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florida Justice Administration Commission:
http://www.justiceadmin.org/

FJAC Indigent Costs:
http://www.justiceadmin.org/ind_for_cost/index.aspx

Available at second link above:

JAC Policies and Procedures for Indigent for Costs (4/4/2008)
http://www.justiceadmin.org/ind_for_cost/IFC Policies & Procedures.pdf

March 25, 2009 Memo to Chief Judges, Trial Court Administrators, and Clerks of the Court Regarding Court-Appointed Counsel and IFC Cases
http://www.justiceadmin.org/documents/3-25-09 memo to chief judges requirements for payment.pdf

Salient points excerpted from document linked in previous post, the Memo of 3/25/09:

- Requirements for a privately retained attorney to have his or her client declared indigent for costs. See §§ 27.52(5), 57.082, F.S.

- Section 27.52(5), F.S., provides, when determining whether an individual qualifies as indigent for costs, certain documents must be filed with the court. These include a completed clerk’s application for
indigency
and an affidavit attesting to the estimated amount of attorney fees and the source of payment for these fees.

- Section 27.52(5)(d), F.S., also provides that provision of due process services must be pursuant to court order.

- JAC is required to verify compliance with statutory requirements. Attorney must provide:
* motion to declare the defendant indigent for costs
* clerk’s application
* affidavit on attorney’s fees
* order declaring the defendant indigent for costs
* the charging document

I'm sure they could pretty much cover the cost if they sold tickets to the execution. Auction off the opportunity to push the plunger in murderers arm...I'm sure that would bring in lots of $$$$$$$$

More salient info:

- JAC pays for due process services in private court appointed and IFC cases.
- Motions and court orders required for due process services unless the circuit allows for services such as investigative fees to be obtained without the need for prior court approval.
- The maximum rates for services are specified annually in the General Appropriations Act. See §27.425, F.S.
- Rates can be exceeded by court order approval
- Counsel must demonstrate in the motion diligent effort to
* find a vendor at the authorized rates.
* find local or in-state providers before seeking out-of-state providers.
* show there are no competent providers available in Florida.

Reading through all this, I'm getting the idea that JB counted on the death penalty not being put back on the table, but ran out willy nilly hiring all these expensive 'experts' with a certain idea of costs in mind, and a certain confidence that they could be paid.

He may just have painted his client into a corner.

Okay, next I'm going to dig for the criteria for being found indigent, because I'm wondering how, if indeed KC was paid a quarter million $$ for pictures/videos of her murdered baby, she could be considered indigent. Is it enough to say "Well, yeah, my income this year was $250,000, but I already spent all that on my defense (and/or house payments etc for my parents)."

This could prove very very interesting as this plays out.

I will personally send my penny collection to the state of Florida to offset the cost.

The costs of that bother me only because I feel a death penalty trial is a choice that KC, her defense team, and KC's family have made, by not being forthcoming about what happened to Caylee.

I agree this has mostly been caused by Casey not being forthcoming

I feel that the so-called mother Casey Anthony needs to pay for what she has done, no matter what the cost. Poor little Caylee had to pay with her life. I'm just not sure whether it should be life in prison or the death penalty.

As a Floridian born and raised and having been a survivor of a violent crime (kidnapping, rape, armed robbery, home invasion when he escaped from prison, animal cruelty (he shot my Llasa Apso in the head after raping me with the gun) Etc. I have no problem with my tax dollars paying for justice for not only Caylee but any crime victim. What I have a problem with is that if KC does get LWOP she will be able to earn a degree through a scholarship since she will be incarcerated; that is what my perp did. All of her meals, rents, etc. are covered. If indeed she is declared indigent my tax dollars will pay for her high profile defense yet my daughter can not qualify for financial aid for college because her step-father makes to much money. Even though her father who I was married to and he was also kidnapped is on SSI. The cost to a surviving crime victim not only emotionally but financially can be quite devastating. I have to pay for my meds and counseling, KC will have hers at no cost. My daughter with a 4.2 GPA does qualify for a bright futures scholarship but there are still costs involved which she has worked and saved to cover yet KC will get her schooling for free. After my crime we had insurance deductibles on both the car and house, depreciation on car and valuables stolen which were never replaced and though these do not compare to Caylee's life she paid the ultimate price and so should her mother. I was 22 when this happened to me, the same age as Casey and my lifestyle at the time was completely different. I was newly married, we planned the wedding while building our house, we did not live together before marriage, I finished my AA and was working toward my Bachelor degree, we really tried to do thing the right way. I sometimes feel guilty that a man has spent 19 years locked away because of what he has done to me. I wonder if Casey will ever feel guilty for what she did to Caylee. What does the cost matter when a toddler is gone before her time. Sorry for rambling.:crazy:

As a Floridian born and raised and having been a survivor of a violent crime (kidnapping, rape, armed robbery, home invasion when he escaped from prison, animal cruelty (he shot my Llasa Apso in the head after raping me with the gun) Etc. I have no problem with my tax dollars paying for justice for not only Caylee but any crime victim. What I have a problem with is that if KC does get LWOP she will be able to earn a degree through a scholarship since she will be incarcerated; that is what my perp did. All of her meals, rents, etc. are covered. If indeed she is declared indigent my tax dollars will pay for her high profile defense yet my daughter can not qualify for financial aid for college because her step-father makes to much money. Even though her father who I was married to and he was also kidnapped is on SSI. The cost to a surviving crime victim not only emotionally but financially can be quite devastating. I have to pay for my meds and counseling, KC will have hers at no cost. My daughter with a 4.2 GPA does qualify for a bright futures scholarship but there are still costs involved which she has worked and saved to cover yet KC will get her schooling for free. After my crime we had insurance deductibles on both the car and house, depreciation on car and valuables stolen which were never replaced and though these do not compare to Caylee's life she paid the ultimate price and so should her mother. I was 22 when this happened to me, the same age as Casey and my lifestyle at the time was completely different. I was newly married, we planned the wedding while building our house, we did not live together before marriage, I finished my AA and was working toward my Bachelor degree, we really tried to do thing the right way. I sometimes feel guilty that a man has spent 19 years locked away because of what he has done to me. I wonder if Casey will ever feel guilty for what she did to Caylee. What does the cost matter when a toddler is gone before her time. Sorry for rambling.:crazy:

Our legal system is not without it's flaws, and the victims in this country have very little voice in terms of their rights. But you have nothing to apologize for, much less "rambling". I think you are remarkably free of bitterness, and doubt many of us would be as able to recount the chain of events of your past with as much equanimity as you have. So rambl;e away and thank you for your perspective.

Sdavidson11---I am sorry for what you have had to experience, but how I admire your ability to speak/write of it. Something does seem upside down when the criminal who did those things to you is able to earn his degree and have all the free time he needs to study plus free room and board, unlike your daughter who had to earn the scholarship, find a way to earn what it does not cover and at the same time eek out enough time in between that to devote to her studies.

I am actually offended that JB expresses concern over the cost of a DP case. I don't buy for one second that he has any concern over what the cost to the FLA taxpayer is. He is only irritated that this boots him from being the "star" of the trial. IMO he is as big a sociopath as KC. I agree that KC is the cause of the costs, a fact I hope the SA's office repeats over and over. I am good with the DP being put on the table for KC. It is an option, and after we learn all the facts they have at trial , if a jury votes for her to receive it, I can live with that. It seems she violated a sacred trust between mother and child, with intent, so that in my book is evil, she will have to pay for that.

As far as the DP itself? I am not against it. I do feel that there needs to be some kind of reform done on it though. I am distressed about innocent people dying from the DP and wonder where/what went wrong for such an injustice to take place. Is it that we can never have 100% of prosecutors who are righteous, moral and honest? Or is there some other flaw? Since we don't have a 100% accurate system maybe we should only use the DP when there is a confession and proof to back that up or witnesses plus other proof, overwhelming forensic evidence? IDK, I would just like it to become more accurate, somehow. :cow:

Don't be sorry... you're not rambling. I'm sorry for what happened to you and your family. And you're absolutely right about everything you said. Seems to me things are a bit backwards in this country sometimes. The perp has more rights than the victim and will be "given" better in life than he/she was willing to work for to begin with after committing their crime, teachers make next to nothing while sports "heroes" make astronaumtical amounts for playing a game, laziness is rewarded with social programs designed to support such people for life, I could go on and on.... but I won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member