The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 10th July - Trial Day 18

Discussion in 'Allison Baden-Clay of Australia' started by marlywings, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freya1977

Freya1977 Well-Known Member

I'd say they mean no bleach....that's the only clean-up they could test for I'd think?

2. toe

toe New Member

3. sleepinoz

sleepinoz Well-Known Member

IMO - There was no mention of anything "Provoked" in anyone's testimony, no mention of Threatening divorce/separation - so I don't believe this would apply.

4. Fluffykins

Fluffykins Well-Known Member

RSBM. Wow. I really don't see why the onus should be on the prosecution to prove there was no provocation, I think it should be on the defence to prove there was. MOO

5. PrimeSuspect

PrimeSuspect Under the Milky Way

Maybe, GBC had to stay home in case the girls woke, so that means someone drove the car and disposed of the body? :waitasec:

6. Thinking

Thinking New Member

Thanks Freya - this is what I thought re the manslaughter option too - the judge was saying it because he had to, not because it is actually a likely option. All or nothing I reckon! If the jury believe the PT's proposition that he smothered Allison, or even if they believe he strangled her, then it is murder all the way - you don't "accidentally" smother someone to death IMO.

7. squizzey1

squizzey1 Verified insider - Allison Baden-Clay case

you agree with that Honey ???

8. AAAA

AAAA New Member

Back to business as usual...

9. Freya1977

Freya1977 Well-Known Member

Yes I think the fact she scratched his face up shows he had the opportunity to stop. He kept going even as she fought him off.

10. Phantom's Diana

Phantom's Diana New Member

I am concerned that the jurors are weighted more males than females , just saying not evenly balanced.

11. alioop

alioop Verified Attorney (AU)

If there is a guilty verdict there will almost certainly be an appeal. This is standard for murder convictions as you have nothing to lose, particularly if it is funded by legal aid. So there will now be a couple more paragraphs in the appeal paperwork that include approaches to the jury and the juror bringing in the how to deliberate booklet, all of which it seems the jury bought to the judges attention as soon as they could. From what we know of those matters they won't be sufficient grounds for an appeal.
    Hopefully the jury have well and truly got the message and there will be no more shenanigans.

12. Seeking

Seeking New Member

Alioop, why would the prosecution and defence teams both not want the jury not to have a written copy of the judges directions?

13. PrimeSuspect

AFAIK, the DT and PT pick six each, I wonder which side picked more male jurors? I was discussing this with my eldest daughter the other night, she felt the male jurors may be more sympathetic to GBC, the female jurors not so much. I'm not sure if this is a case where gender plays a role, it definitely does in some trials. jmo

14. Amee

Amee Active Member

Justice warns juror’s downloading is 'wrong'

"You scarcely need to know what some overseas commentator speaking about a very different system of jury trials happens to think," he said.

Justice Byrne said the jury could use the guide to jury deliberations booklet which the court had approved to help them.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/jury-begins-deliberating-baden-clay-trial/2314591/?ref=hs

Rae Wilson ‏@RaeWilson78 2m

Here is the warning justice gave jurors after one brought in document on American juries #badenclay #court #qld. http://ow.ly/yZ5YF

15. PrimeSuspect

THE jury deliberating in the Gerard Baden-Clay has been warned for a fourth time about seeking guidance outside the courtroom after a juror brought in a document from an American jury commentator.

Justice John Byrne gave the seven men and five woman, who began deliberating at 11.10am, a stern warning about not seeking help from external sources and told them the behaviour was "wrong".

"You scarcely need to know what some overseas commentator speaking about a very different system of jury trials happens to think," he said.

Justice Byrne said the jury could use the guide to jury deliberations booklet which the court had approved to help them.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/jury-begins-deliberating-baden-clay-trial/2314591/?ref=hs

16. catswhiskers

catswhiskers Active Member

Perhaps it was just that the carpet didn't look as though it had been freshly vacuumed? I'm sure we've seen pics of the back of the car and it does seem to contain a bit of debris/dust etc. I've thought that it would be more likely to have been given a quick flick or brush out, even by hand, to remove any obvious larger leaves, twigs, etc. And even if some of the leaf litter was found in there - it would be reasonable to assume that it could be there for an innocent reason and not out of place at all. Some of it could have even been from the bottoms of the toy baskets/boxes.

17. squizzey1

don't worry ; myself and all the males I talk to actually have shown stronger feelings against him then the females have , strange as that may seem , so breathe easy PD

18. MRSA

MRSA Member

I disagree entirely, I think the judge was instructing the jury that it was open to them to return an alternative verdict of guilty of manslaughter where they were satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant had unlawfully killed Allison but were not satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that he had intended to kill or do GBH.

19. marlywings

marlywings Former Member

20. squizzey1

wrong from my experience talking to others and being male it is very very much the opposite very much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.