The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 10th July - Trial Day 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can they be considering manslaughter? That doesn't make sense. It just doesn't. What scenario could fit an unintentional accident with scratches to his face? Hopefully they get it when he explains it again.

How can they be considering manslaughter? That doesn't make sense. It just doesn't. What scenario could fit an unintentional accident with scratches to his face? Hopefully they get it when he explains it again.
  1. Heated argument over TM.
  2. Argument becomes physical - slaps, scratches.
  3. GBC restrains ABC.
  4. In the course of restraining ABC, GBC smothers and kills her.
  5. GBC panics and hides the body, then concocts a story that ABC must have gone walking.
You have the following elements of murder established beyond reasonable doubt:

• GBC killed ABC
  • The killing was unlawful
However, you have not established beyond reasonable doubt that GBC intended to kill or do GBH to ABC. Therefore the only verdict open to the jury is guilty of manslaughter.

Me too. It is an unbearable thought and I truly believe he would have the gall to do such strutting

Not sure I could actually bear it. Locals were polite enough to give him only the stoney look pre arrest as we waited for the Police to charge him.

for those catching up...

From the Websleuths Re-Tweet Team...

Day 18 – MSM Tweets Additional collection - (Jury in Deliberation)
Posted prior on this thread

Continued from Page 1 of today's tweets
12.44 pm
Websleuths Australian Time
-----

Sarah Elks ‏@sarahelks 1m
After only a couple of minutes in the courtroom, the jury has been asked to return to its deliberations. #badenclay

Francene Norton ‏@francenenorton 51s
Jury was called back in. Justice Byrne told them if they want to hear parts of the summing up again, he'll read it to them

Eammon Atkinson ‏@EAtkinson7 2m
#BadenClay jury has asked for a copy of the judge's summary. Prosecution and Defence don't want them to have it.
Judge has told jury he will re-read parts of his summary if they want to be reminded of it. #BadenClay

Leonie Mellor ‏@leoniemellor 55s
Judge: jury request copy of summing, both Crown and Defence prefer any part to be read in courtroom. @abcnews #badenclay

Leonie Mellor ‏@leoniemellor 55s
Judge: jury request copy of summing, both Crown and Defence prefer any part to be read in courtroom. @abcnews #badenclay

12:43pm: Justice Byrne acknowledged the jury had requested for a copy of his summation of the closing addresses from the prosecution and defence counsels.
He declined their request and asked the jury to give a written note to the Bailiff requesting for parts, or all, of his summation to be read again in open court.
The jury has resumed its deliberations.
Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...#ixzz371uYUG17

Ebony Cavallaro ‏@ebonycavallaro 16m
Tick tock on the clock, #badenclay jury deliberating for 1 hour 20 mins now. Still a large group waiting outside court @9NewsBrisbane

Francene Norton ‏@francenenorton 25s
The jury has been called back into the courtroom. They've been deliberating for two hours

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 36s
Justice John Byrne has asked the jury to come back to court #badenclay @couriermail

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 43s
Jurors have returned to court - this is NOT a verdict. They are receiving a direction from the judge. #badenclay

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 46s
I had not expected to see you so soon but an important matter brought to my attention - Justice Byrne

Sarah Elks ‏@sarahelks 32s
Justice Byrne is warning the #badenclay jury not to use the internet, after one brought a 'how to deliberate' guide into the jury room.

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 59s
Judge is telling the jury they must not make enquiries outside the trial. A juror has downloaded a document. #badenclay
Judge says the document was a guide to jury deliberations. He says they must not do this, it was wrong. #badenclay
Judge says any advice needs to come from this court. This court has given them a jury guide. #badenclay

Francene Norton ‏@francenenorton 1m
Justice Byrne says a juror has downloaded a document from an overseas commentator from the internet.

Eammon Atkinson ‏@EAtkinson7 56s
Document was written by an American legal commentator about how US juries should deliberate. #BadenClay

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 53s
Justice Byrne has called the jury back again. He forgot to tell them something. #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 36s
Judge is reading the instructions again about not seeking information outside the courtroom. #badenclay

Eammon Atkinson ‏@EAtkinson7 49s
Judge to jury: you must not enquire about anything outside of the trial. #BadenClay

Katrina Blowers ‏@katrinablowers 37s
Justice Byrne now reminding #badenclay jury not to make any inquiries about accused online or through social media. They are excused.

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 41s
And they've been excused again. Back to deliberations. #badenclay

Eammon Atkinson ‏@EAtkinson7 45s
#BadenClay judge tells jury not to do their own research after jury member takes document to deliberation room @7NewsBrisbane

1:16pm: The material downloaded from the internet related to commentary from the United States about the role of a jury.
"You scarcely need to know what some overseas commentator speaking about a different system happens to the think," Justice Byrne said.
1:13pm: The jury has been called back into the courtroom for another direction from Justice Byrne.
"There's been an important matter drawn to my attention," he said.
Justice Byrne said a juror had downloaded material from the internet about how a jury might deliberate its verdict.
"I expected that my direction given twice orally and once in writing that you must not inquire outside the courtroom about anything that related to the trial was clear and emphatic," he said.
"What was done was wrong."
Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...#ixzz3722hPYem

Eammon Atkinson ‏@EAtkinson7 1m
The waiting continues - #BadenClay jury back deliberating. Judge won't take a verdict before 2.15pm

-----
Emmy Kubainski ‏@emmykubainski 3m
Jury warned not to use internet, social media, mobiles, text books...anything other than material from the court. @7NewsBrisbane #badenclay
1:35pm: Justice Byrne discharged the jury once more but asked them to return minutes later for him to reiterate his instructions to them, at the request of the prosecution and defence counsels.
"I draw your attention once more to what I said on this topic. You must not inquire outside the courtroom about anything that relates to the trial. So you must not use any aid such as a text book to conduct research and, except in this courtroom, you must not in any seek or receive information about questions that arise in the trial, or about the accused, or about witnesses or the deceased," he said.
"For example, conducting research using the internet, or by communicating by someone by phone, email, or on Twitter, through any blog or website, including the social networking websites such as Facebook, Linked In or You Tube.
"Thank you for your attention."
The jury has resumed its deliberations.
Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...#ixzz3727RUBe0

-----
1.22pm: The jury requested further information from Supreme Court Justice John Byrne.
The jury re-entered the court room at 12.38pm.
Justice Byrne told the jury they would not receive a copy of his summing up at the request of the prosecution and defence counsels.
It retired again to deliberate shortly after.
The jury returned to the court at 1.10pm, after they had been deliberating for two hours.
Justice Byrne said he had three times warned the jury not to enquire of anything to do with the trial outside the court room.
He said a juror had apparently downloaded from the internet material on how a jury might approach its “great responsibility of deliberating on a verdict”.
He thanked the jury for bringing the matter to his attention.
“Now everyone appreciates a juror’s job is rarely easy and we all understand a juror are often anxious about performing their role,” he said.
“They want to do it well and responsibly and will look for assistance. But I repeat, that assistance must come from the court and only from the court, and not some external source.”
Justice Byrne told the jury they had a guide to deliberating in a form that was approved by the court available to them in the jury room.
“You scarcely need to know what some overseas commentator speaking about a very different system of jury trials, happens to think. So the document will be retained by my associate and not returned to the jury room.”
He reminded the jury not to enquire outside of the court room about anything that related to the trial.
“You must not use any aide, such as a textbook to conduct research, and except in this court room, you must not in any way seek or receive information about questions that arise in the trial, or about the accused, or about any witnesses or the deceased, for example by conducting research using the internet, or by communicating with someone by phone, email or Twitter, through any blog or website, including social networking websites, such as Facebook, LinkedIn and You Tube,” he said.
The jury has returned to its deliberations.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226983491477

-----
• Justice warns juror’s downloading is 'wrong'
"You scarcely need to know what some overseas commentator speaking about a very different system of jury trials happens to think," he said.
Justice Byrne said the jury could use the guide to jury deliberations booklet which the court had approved to help them.
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au...314591/?ref=hs

-----
Rae Wilson ‏@RaeWilson78 2m
Here is the warning justice gave jurors after one brought in document on American juries #badenclay #court #qld. http://ow.ly/yZ5YF

-----
• THE jury deliberating in the Gerard Baden-Clay has been warned for a fourth time about seeking guidance outside the courtroom after a juror brought in a document from an American jury commentator.
Justice John Byrne gave the seven men and five woman, who began deliberating at 11.10am, a stern warning about not seeking help from external sources and told them the behaviour was "wrong".
"You scarcely need to know what some overseas commentator speaking about a very different system of jury trials happens to think," he said.
Justice Byrne said the jury could use the guide to jury deliberations booklet which the court had approved to help them.
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au...314591/?ref=hs

-----
Michael Kersnovske ‏@MKersnovske 32s
Additional chairs being brought into the court ahead of #badenclay verdict. Jury still deliberating @tennewsqld

Approx. 4:45pm (WS AU Time)
• Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou • 35s
The jury is being sent home. They'll reconvene at 9am tomorrow to continue their deliberations. #badenclay

• David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 1m
The jury will be sent home for the day, deliberations to continue tomorrow from 9am

Francene Norton ‏@francenenorton 1m
#badenclay jury sent home for the day. Jurors will resume deliberations at 9am tomorrow

Eammon Atkinson ‏@EAtkinson7 21m
#BadenClay jury asks judge to explain the difference between 'murder' and 'manslaughter' @7NewsBrisbane

No verdict yet in the #BadenClay trial. The jury will continue deliberating tomorrow at 9.30am. @7NewsBrisbane

Ebony Cavallaro ‏@ebonycavallaro 39m
Jury has been sent home for the day in #badenclay trial - no verdict today @9NewsBrisbane

Michael Kersnovske ‏@MKersnovske 1m
Ahead in @tennewsqld @GreenhalghSarah is live from the Supreme Court with all the details on the #badenclay trial pic.twitter.com/pUp1xfEihx

Nine News Australia ‏@9NewsAUS 38m
MT @TessaScott9: Jury has been told to go home for the day. Back for deliberations tomorrow morning at 9.30am #badenclay

So these documents that were handed to OW - interesting! If there was a court proceeding to happen then would that be registered somewhere? Can we look into that and find out?

Otherwise I just tend to believe it would be the bill as someone most succinctly pointed out. Obviously legal aid covers most stuff for GBC but I can't see the BC's not wanting to add in a few bells and whistles from their barrister that they would have paid for to assist dear Gerard come out unscathed.

Hello.. I have followed this case since Allison went missing & quietly followed the threads on WS from the very beginning. I only recently joined this site as I wanted to say a big thankyou to all the people that have posted over the last 2 years. Like alot of you, I have felt a rollercoaster of emotions during this time & learnt a bit more about life & how very precious it can be..

I hope & pray that justice is done for Allison, her Parents & her Girls.. :angel:

Hello.. I have followed this case since Allison went missing & quietly followed the threads on WS from the very beginning. I only recently joined this site as I wanted to say a big thankyou to all the people that have posted over the last 2 years. Like alot of you, I have felt a rollercoaster of emotions during this time & learnt a bit more about life & how very precious it can be..

I hope & pray that justice is done for Allison, her Parents & her Girls.. :angel:

Great post

:welcome::welcome4:

Just a comment. Bit disappointed the PT didn't point out (unless I missed it) the extreme fear that Allison must have experienced; it must have been terrifying knowing what was happening, then recognizing that this attacker was her husband, the man she loved, trying to kill her; then within seconds, she desperately tried to fight for her life against her own husband, the alleged attacker. The amount of terror, the visions of the 3 little girls, the fact that nobody would know, etc. :rose:

Someone posted a link to a song on here dedicated to Allison a few nights ago ~ after the defence put forward their closing argument and my mood was one of frustration and anger for a woman I never met. The song, Mazzy Star's "Into Dust" http://vimeo.com/30078922 is hauntingly sad and gave me goosebumps. I felt so so sad for a mum, daughter, sister, niece who was treated so poorly in life by her husband and even worse in death. Until hearing this song and imagining her last thoughts and her body just dumped in that dark, cold, damp, horrid place my focus had been praying a guilty verdict would keep those 3 young girls away from GBC & in the safe arms of the Dickies. Now, I'm praying for the woman left out in the dark and for a future for her girls away from these people.
Sorry for the ramble but I'm just so sad. And whoever posted the link to what will always be to me, Allison's song, the other night, thanks.

From what I can see the quote from Eammon Atkinson (Channel 7) has since been removed.

Eammon Atkinson ‏@EAtkinson7 21m
#BadenClay jury asks judge to explain the difference between 'murder' and 'manslaughter' @7NewsBrisbane

1. Heated argument over TM.
  2. Argument becomes physical - slaps, scratches.
  3. GBC restrains ABC.
  4. In the course of restraining ABC, GBC smothers and kills her.
  5. GBC panics and hides the body, then concocts a story that ABC must have gone walking.
You have the following elements of murder established beyond reasonable doubt:

• GBC killed ABC
  • The killing was unlawful
However, you have not established beyond reasonable doubt that GBC intended to kill or do GBH to ABC. Therefore the only verdict open to the jury is guilty of manslaughter.
That's murder the way I see it. If he's smothering her then that's intent. Intent = murder. The intent does not have to be to kill her. Intent to cause grievous bodily harm which in turn causes a death is murder.

IMHO only.

So these documents that were handed to OW - interesting! If there was a court proceeding to happen then would that be registered somewhere? Can we look into that and find out?

Otherwise I just tend to believe it would be the bill as someone most succinctly pointed out. Obviously legal aid covers most stuff for GBC but I can't see the BC's not wanting to add in a few bells and whistles from their barrister that they would have paid for to assist dear Gerard come out unscathed.

If a guilty verdict is handed down,then a case for an accessory after the fact be sought?

That's murder. If he's smothering her then that's intent. Intent = murder. The intent does not have to be to kill her. Intent to cause grievous bodily harm which in turn causes a death is murder.
No. The restraint might be intended but the consequence of that restraint (smothering leading to death) might not be intended. If intent is not established beyond reasonable doubt, the accused is not guilty of murder.

This is why so much hinges on the circumstantial evidence that GBC wanted his wife dead.

No. The restraint might be intended but the consequence of that restraint (smothering leading to death) might not be intended. If intent is not established beyond reasonable doubt, the accused is not guilty of murder.

This is why so much hinges on the circumstantial evidence that GBC wanted his wife dead.

Not quite sure this is true. The judge indicated that intent to cause GBH which resulted in death = murder

So if he covers her mouth and nose "restraining" her till she dies, that's not intent? When she's clawing at him and clearly suffocating, how is that not intent? He'd stop the restraint. He has no right to restrain her anyway. What exactly constitutes GBH?

ha ha:laughing: so thats how you know what you do.. lots of idle time in there huh?
Watchin' Buffy reruns...love Buffy. We all SO need to meet!

Royster, you crack me up! #awkward. You bet! Like the kid who's mucking up up the back, gets flamed and suddenly no-one wants to associate with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk