The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 24th June - Trial Day 9, Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neuromancer I was in court today, Mr Cranna said the interest rate was 'variable' because the loan was drawn down from his mortgage which had a variable rate.

There was mention before about a $6000 sum repaid in installments, Mr Cranna said in his testimony that Phil Broom was the one who actually paid that back. I don't know the significance of this and there was no further questioning regarding it, but I got the impression this took the prosecution by surprise.

While I'm here I'll also say the fifth member of the family was in court today too. :)

* astonishing!!.. all the way from the Klondike??

Neuromancer I was in court today, Mr Cranna said the interest rate was 'variable' because the loan was drawn down from his mortgage which had a variable rate.

There was mention before about a $6000 sum repaid in installments, Mr Cranna said in his testimony that Phil Broom was the one who actually paid that back. I don't know the significance of this and there was no further questioning regarding it, but I got the impression this took the prosecution by surprise.

While I'm here I'll also say the fifth member of the family was in court today too. :)

Like I said in an earlier post.....other loans were being used to pay off theoans to his mates!

What portrait?

It was mentioned in Allison's diary that GBC and TM had a portrait of themselves done and Allison discovered it..I'll have to search the earlier posts.

Something that has me wanting an answer is why did GBC say to Allison also in diary "I couldn't go back to her even if I wanted to"

Phillip paid around $30,000.00 to Mr Cranna.. it was his payment for joining the business, but Gerard wanted Philip to place the money directly to Cranna..

dodgy...

My second thought on this day of the trial is that the prosecution is eliminating possible causes of death so they can present their own (hopefully fact based) theory.

The prosecution calls experts whose opinion must be taken as evidence in the case unless the defence calls an equally qualified expert who contradicts the prosecutions expert. The defence in taking trivial swipes at expert opinion is only showmanship and doesn't damage the prosecution case.

Allison apparently didn't die, according to experts, from ill-health, trauma or injury, drowning or drug overdose. That eliminates the great majority of ways to die leaving probably IMO only lack of air as the cause of death. There are signs from the autopsy that she had a bang on the head.

Based on evidence so far I'm thinking she was knocked unconscious and suffocated. If GBC is the perpetrator then Allison apparently put up a fight.

Phillip paid around $30,000.00 to Mr Cranna.. it was his payment for joining the business, but Gerard wanted Philip to place the money directly to Cranna..

dodgy...

Yep that's the word! I am Waiting patiently to hear the evidence of the partners.

the river and where Allison was found is on the left on the photos. Is that the question you're asking?

Thanks Steadan. Yes I realise Allison was found on the left hand side in the photos. I just wanted to establish where the north side of Crosby Road at the beginning of the bridge was in relation to the photos. See Doc. Watson's reply to me up thread and then my reply to him.

It will all become clear. :floorlaugh:

IMO Dr Guymer's evidence can't throw light on where Allison (was) rolled on the ground.

The cat's claw, crepe myrtle, fishbone fern, chinese elm, lillypilly and greygum grow in or near most backyards in that suburb especially rented houses. Anyone owning a home and enjoying gardening will probably rip out the cat's claw, fishbone fern and chinese elm as they are weeds in the suburbs really.

I think what the prosecution is proving is that you don't get those plants in your hair by lolling around on the banks of Kholo Creek no matter how long you lie there, you get them from the suburbs.

These plants don't tie Allison to 593 Brookfield Rd.

Would his clothes have the kholo plants stuck on them?

IMO Dr Guymer's evidence can't throw light on where Allison (was) rolled on the ground.

The cat's claw, crepe myrtle, fishbone fern, chinese elm, lillypilly and greygum grow in or near most backyards in that suburb especially rented houses. Anyone owning a home and enjoying gardening will probably rip out the cat's claw, fishbone fern and chinese elm as they are weeds in the suburbs really.

I think what the prosecution is proving is that you don't get those plants in your hair by lolling around on the banks of Kholo Creek no matter how long you lie there, you get them from the suburbs.

These plants don't tie Allison to 593 Brookfield Rd.

I politely disagree Zorro - the thing is that these are the predominant plants growing round that house. In any given house you might get a subset of those plants but not those 6 exclusively and in such close proximity of the house. To get fishbone fern or dead Crepe Myrtle leaves in your hair you have roll on the ground or be as ruthless as a carefree dog running through bush to catch something. Either are highly implausible. As a super keen gardener I have never found leaves in my hair as I would tend to remove to avoid knots and further contact tangles particularly if I had just had a new hair-do. (And even more implausible is whole branches of cats claw creeper stuck in there!)

Similar to prickles in your foot or cobbler pegs. You would notice and remove them. Unless of course you were incapable of getting rid of them because as a corpse you had been dragged along the ground. That photo of the back of the house depicts crazy high density of these 6 plants so I have no hesitation in suggesting that this where Allison picked up that plant material. At 8:38 she was in Brookfield and at around 10:30 she was at home and last seen by GBC. She was not recorded being anywhere else after the hairdresser.

Anyone go to court today? I am planning to go tomorrow, do we still need to line up for the overflow room?

The main thing that stood out for me from the Christ, Cheeseman and Cranna testimonies today is that the money loaned to GBC was deposited into the joint business account of GBC AND Allison. They being the owners of the company. So if GBC is convicted and has no way of paying back those loans, they will sue Allison's estate to recoup their money, plus interest. Or have I got that wrong? I just felt that those three were saying 'nice' things about Allison on the one hand, but on the other they had this agenda, a subtle hint that they know there is money held in trust and one way or another they will get their hands on it.

Wonder if they declared the interest that GBC had paid them to the ATO.

It was a gentlemans agreement. Nothing was signed. So doubt that they can claim much at all???

Perhaps Dr. Guymer checked the surrounding properties for the same plants and found none. Just saying.

Yes fair enough but he hasn't testified to that as far as I can see.

(RSBM)

Can't help but wonder - why on earth would he do that? :waitasec:

DNA me thinks. If he can grow plant tissue from the crepe myrtle flowers, seems to me that plant specific ID can be achieved. Can anyone provide any thoughts along this line?

Would his clothes have the kholo plants stuck on them?

they'll get you ... did you pick up that Dr Guymer said this afternoon that leaf matter was found on the vehicle tyres, front driver pedal and the rear seat area (Not absolutely sure if he said it was the Captiva); nor am I sure which leaf matter he was referring to (e.g. the 4 species found at the residence / or the 2 species found only at Kholo Creek). Maybe we will hear more about that tomorrow, as it was towards the end of the Trial today.

he didn't pay the premium, and Alison was murdered before the policy expired..

how neat is that , ey??

he gets a letter from the insurance April 6th saying, this is overdue, as a grace note we will extend the deadline until May 9th... if payment isn't received by May 9th, the policy and all its inherent value becomes invalid, expired, kaput and goodbye..

so he is 19 days out from the thing falling over forever, when Alison goes 'missing'

I guess he'd have the arrears deducted from payout..I'm surprised the Insurance Company didn't find a way out of paying up..bet they're sad for allowing the extension..not

I politely disagree Zorro - the thing is that these are the predominant plants growing round that house. In any given house you might get a subset of those plants but not those 6 exclusively and in such close proximity of the house. To get fishbone fern or dead Crepe Myrtle leaves in your hair you have roll on the ground or be as ruthless as a carefree dog running through bush to catch something. Either are highly implausible. As a super keen gardener I have never found leaves in my hair as I would tend to remove to avoid knots and further contact tangles particularly if I had just had a new hair-do. (And even more implausible is whole branches of cats claw creeper stuck in there!)

Similar to prickles in your foot or cobbler pegs. You would notice and remove them. Unless of course you were incapable of getting rid of them because as a corpse you had been dragged along the ground. That photo of the back of the house depicts crazy high density of these 6 plants so I have no hesitation in suggesting that this where Allison picked up that plant material. At 8:38 she was in Brookfield and at around 10:30 she was at home and last seen by GBC. She was not recorded being anywhere else after the hairdresser.

What if she ran out of the house in frustration and went 500 metres closer to Flegg's house. GBC followed and they fought in some other locality where those plants prevailed (and they are very common plants). The children heard nothing but Flegg did?

Sorry if I missed it, but did Dr Guymer identify the leaves taken from the car? These are only going to be helpful if they match species from Kholo creek, right?

Transference from GBC? Oh yes!!! How could he ever explain that!!! :twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member