The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 2nd July - Trial Day 14, Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schramm is asked that in his review of the records of Allison most recent counselling sessions, at Relationships Australia, did they show evidence of suicidal tendencies? Danny Boyle - "So there is nothing in Ms Ritchie notes to indicate suicide?"

Schramm response " Well not necessarily - Allison writes in her diary that she was feeling inadequate, not good enough" !!!! Does every woman who feels inadequate or not good enough suffer from depression? I don't think so!!!

You know, I think Allison's ultimatum must have been strong because Gerard immediately ended that affair when she found out and he embarrassed himself by telling his co-workers and the school about it. I mean, he didn't love her he claimed, and had been wanting sex, and yet immediately turned around and ended it. Why? Did she threaten to expose him for having it and affect his so important image? Did she say there'd be divorce in no uncertain terms? Both? I'd say therefore if Allison had found out he was still having an affair that night such as via calls to his phone or if he really thought they'd run into each other the next day and she'd find out, that if he thought her threat was for real he'd have been worried. Once she found out she could tell people straight away, even before he knew she knew, and anything he might do to stop her actions after that would make him look more guilty immediately, so it'd have had to have been preventative.

That was really complicated Susan, but I get you. His two worlds colliding was going to be too messy.

Katrina Blowers ‏@katrinablowers 40s

Psychiatrist tells #badenclay jury when people are depressed, they look at life through 'grey coloured glasses'. @7NewsBrisbane

And it takes medical and psychiatric degrees to know this...! Hah

Katrina Blowers ‏@katrinablowers 51s

#badenclay says Toni visited family home... they had sex on spare bed and on mattress in loungeroom. @7NewsBrisbane

Just catching up .. but this is a bald faced lie .. as if Gerard, as if ..

Doc do you have any panadol in your kitbag Ive got a headache

You know, I think Allison's ultimatum must have been strong because Gerard immediately ended that affair when she found out and he embarrassed himself by telling his co-workers and the school about it. I mean, he didn't love her he claimed, and had been wanting sex, and yet immediately turned around and ended it. Why? Did she threaten to expose him for having it and affect his so important image? Did she say there'd be divorce in no uncertain terms? Both? I'd say therefore if Allison had found out he was still having an affair that night such as via calls to his phone or if he really thought they'd run into each other the next day and she'd find out, that if he thought her threat was for real he'd have been worried. Once she found out she could tell people straight away, even before he knew she knew, and anything he might do to stop her actions after that would make him look more guilty immediately, so it'd have had to have been preventative.

If someone is a narcissist, you're in the most danger you've ever been in if you threaten to withdraw narcissistic supply, ie: ending the relationship.

So is it looking likely that closing arguments will be today? Or do we think that the defences closing statement will take up the rest of today?

I hope it does! Tomorrow morning last word by prosecution, then deliberations.

I think alioop said that the jury would be instructed on Monday. Closing arguments tomorrow?

think court would be adjourned today soon

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 1m

Dr Schramm says it's consistent with the GP assessing Allison was depressed #badenclay

aroline Overington ‏@overingtonc 46s

Dr Schram says Allison's symptoms are 'not inconsistent' with the idea that she had been suffering depression #badenclay

Caroline Overington ‏@overingtonc 49s

The witness is excused #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 45s

Michael Byrne QC says that is the case for the defence. #badenclay

Trial day 4...

Ms Walker said Mrs Baden-Clay was "great" in the months before her death.

"She was great ... in the months before she died she was fantastic," Ms Walker said.

"I saw her early February, but the end of January was when we had a really good long conversation, we had lunch."

She said Mrs Baden-Clay had then told her she was excited to be working again at her husband's real estate agency Century 21 Westside.

"She had been excluded from working with Gerard for a long time," Ms Walker said.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ay-4-week-2-20140616-3a6an.html#ixzz36HFW80FX

at this point, in this trial, I am astounded at Alisons level of resilience.. she was clearly living with a sociopath with narcissistic tendencies of an extreme level.. a sexual predator, a sexual incompetent, a sexual deviant, a sexual oppressor, a priapic blackmailer, an established and chronic compulsive liar, a defrauder, an imposter, an embezzler, a manic depressive, a murderer..

how she lasted 15 years is an emphatic testimony to her incredible resilience in the face of this barrage of psychotic and criminal behaviour, without being a murderer herself..

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 57s

That is the case for the defence #badenclay @couriermail

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 33s

Justice John Byrne tells the jury they will return Monday at 10am for closing remarks and summing up #badenclay @couriermail

So only three witnesses for the defence, and I feel they were scraping the bottom of the barrel with at least 2 of them!

Doc do you have any panadol in your kitbag Ive got a headache

Just snap out of it, Amee - it's all in your head. Oh, hang on....:floorlaugh:

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 33s

Justice John Byrne says that means all the evidence has been given. #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 1m

The jury has been excused until 10am Monday. #badenclay

12.45pm: The 74th witness in the trial is forensic toxicologist Dr Michael Robertson.

He said he had been a forensic toxicologist for 20 years and had studied widely in his field.

Dr Robertson said he did a toxicological examination of the results obtained from Allison Baden-Clay.

He said the review was of Ms Baden-Clay’s post mortem results and the levels of a particular drugs, called sertraline.

“Sertaline is the active drug within the commercial or trade name medication Zoloft,” he said.

Dr Robertson said it was an anti-depressant and elevated levels of serotonin in the brain, or mood-elevating chemicals, to reduce depression

He said sertraline was a Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitor (SSRI), which increased levels of serotonin in the brain.

He said the drug would be broken down and metabolised into desmethyl sertraline.

Dr Robertson said the levels of sertraline in the blood of Ms Baden-CLay was .59mg/kg and levels of desmethyl sertraline were at 3.3mg/kg.

He said there was also some detected in the stomach and liver, at 5mg/kg and desmethly sertraline of 31mg/kg.

Dr Robertson said it was unusual for levels to be above 0.05mg/kg in a person

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-allison-in-2012/story-fnihsrf2-1226974352079

He said average numbers he expected in a living person taking sertraline was 0.03mg/kg.

He said Ms Baden-Clay’s levels were elevated.

Dr Robertson said drug concentrations in the body usually altered after death, a phenomenon known as “post-mortem redistribution”.

He said studies showed sertraline redistribution usually did not change too much after death but tended towards being slightly higher.

He said elevated levels could be caused by the ingestion of a different amount of drug to the recommended therapeutic amount.

“It might be there is an unusual amount of redistribution in this case, some level of contamination may have occurred during the post-mortem,” he said.

Dr Robertson said there were a number of side-effects for sertraline, including common adverse effects such as anxiety, agitation, confusion, thermo-regulation or an elevation of temperature, and even serotonin syndrome or toxicity.

“This is a well described adverse event that involves unusual behaviours,” he said.

He said serotonin effects varied from individual to individual.

Dr Robertson said serotonin syndrome occurred when levels were too high and started to affect other areas of the brain.

“When you get too much of this drug you can get situations again where more profound confusion might exist in a general way, increased agitation, unusual behaviours,” he said.

He said studies showed individuals who were taking “SSRIs” were more likely to experience suicidal ideation.

“The mechanism behind that is simply unclear … it usually happens when someone first starts to take medication or alters medication, those sort of things,” he said.

In cross-examination by Crown prosecutor Todd Fuller QC, Dr Robertson agreed trace levels of serotonin in the stomach may have been transferred there after death.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-allison-in-2012/story-fnihsrf2-1226974352079

He agreed Ms Baden-Clay would not be described as a “naïve” patient as she had been on Zoloft since 2003.

Dr Robertson agreed she would have likely developed a tolerance to the drug.

He agreed redistribution of drugs in the body meant levels in the extremities, such as a leg, would not increase as much as drug concentrations in the centre of the body.

“The theory being if significant post-mortem redistribution takes place, the concentration in the central blood should have increased … more than it would in the peripheral blood,” he said.

Dr Robertson agreed drug concentration levels depended on time, the position of the body and leeching of fat from the body.

He said the liver would break down sertraline.

He agreed the fact the blood sample was from the liver was a factor in interpreting the concentration levels.

Dr Robertson agreed sertraline was usually reported as a multi-drug cause of death, rather than a drug alone.

He agreed the levels of serotonin in the blood were not consistent with an overdose causing death.

“I would agree they are not necessarily consistent with those numbers,” he said.

Dr Robertson said he could not say the serotonin levels were inconsistent with causing death.

“I can’t necessarily agree with that completely as I can’t explain the elevated drug concentrations completely, they might have been elevated for some reason … whether they indirectly had some involvement, I don’t know,” he said.

In re-examination by Mr Byrne, Dr Robertson said serotonin syndrome could occur in a regular user when the dose was increased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708