The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 7th July - Trial Day 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
The timing of events according to GBC - from 7.00pm when Allison left the hairdresser until 7.15 am the next morning when GBC phoned 000 are just so disjointed.
IMO the timing coupled with a few missing pieces of key evidence will create reasonable doubt.
I am sure hoping so.

You want reasonable doubt? :0

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 1m
Byrne says they should reject that Gerard, for no apparent reason, with no apparent means, violently killed his wife. #badenclay

So Byrne is admitting he had MOTIVE AND OPPORTUNITY??

The MEANS = smothering!!! FFS

Touche

Just because they didn't hear anything doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Whats that famous saying? "If a tree falls...."
Clutching at straws I think. IMO

I can just picture it...

Defence: My client GBC will now produce 50 witnesses who DID NOT SEE HIM murder his wife!

todays court session was a panorama of misogyny. ... a wide swath, covering all the categories of women , mothers, mistresses, wives, women with jobs, women who just will not accept that husbands must not be questioned, who will not accept the responsibility so firmly plastered onto them to keep men happy. .. no matter what it costs.. if you don't keep them happy, it is expected that you will stroll off in the dark and hurl yourself off a bridge..

The Wife.. a depressing and anxious lunatic , who's nerve in questioning a husbands straying antics seeks the obvious solution.. the Mistress.... background noise, Wallpaper, powerless, violent.. the Mother.. .. putting her hair do in front of the childrens school interview... on and on it went, . it was disgusting and reprehensible..

He also dismissed the testimony of several forensic experts who said marks on Baden-Clay's face looked like fingernail scratches.

Mr Byrne said none of the experts could rule out 100 per cent that they were 'shaving scrapes' from a blunt razor.

The barrister ridiculed claims his client had killed his wife because of financial pressure or plans to leave his wife.

Mr Byrne is expected to conclude his address on Tuesday morning before the prosecution delivers its final remarks

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2682603/Wife-jumped-bridge-court.html#ixzz36mHGGwij
My Bold...

Yes, I thought the disregard of the experts theory on the scratches was the Defence clutching at straws...

Though, I just realized how relevant this answer is from Dr Stark - regarding the injury..

Dr Stark :
“These particular injuries are typical of fingernail scratches, it’s not diagnostic, not 100 per cent, but in my experience they are commonly seen and this is a very typical of fingernail scratches,” he said.
-----
Dr Stark said there were no specific papers on razor blade injuries that she was aware of.

Its not diagnostic! Interesting point.
Which means asking for a 100% confirmation is moot.
Evaluating the marks on GBC face doesnt exist in those % terms -
I think she was explaining it can be gauged to a degree of accuracy in a professionals interpretation/findings.

Doctors below would not commit to saying 100% - but they were emphasizing their opinions as to what the cause of the injury was.

Dr Stark: “Just from examining thousands of victims of assault and suspects who have been injured, they just seem to me to be in my opinion and experience, to be more typical of fingernails,” she said.
She said it was also unlikely for someone who nicked themselves with a razor would usually stop and not continue.

Dr Griffiths: “I distinctly remember seeing the injuries pretty well as I recalled them two months before,” he said.
“Very much apparent, yes.”
He said it was “highly improbable” an abrasion such those Baden-Clay had on his cheek, were caused by a razor blade.

I recall that before the phone was put on charger , somebody tried to make a video call to Nigel's number after midnight. That did not walk so an ordinary call was made. I wonder what happened to that piece of evidence.

It was false. It didn't happen, police have admitted it was a false positive. The iPhone gerard had was not capable of making face time calls.

Hello Sleuths
I find Byrne's address hugely misogynistic. He portrayed Allison as a disoriented undecisive lunatic. He could not be more ridiculous even if he tried.

Shame on you, Mr Byrne!

Yes, and not to mention his use of the male pronoun for the three female doctors.

I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way, I'm quite impressed by your speed! I'm short too so I guess my strides are not as long as someone who is taller. Please don't feel like you shouldn't post - you should! I was also pointing out the variability of it.

Sorry if I offended :)

Not at all, I wasn't meaning to single you out sorry, there just seemed to be several posts about how I seem to walk abnormally fast. I was just trying to offer a different perspective in that if Allison walked at my pace that distance wouldn't have necessarily have taken her as long as some may think. Probably didn't explain myself well (possibly still not) - long day, tired, grumpy, bedtime...

Meanwhile I just googled racewalking and saw they average 14km per hour. Now THAT is speedy!!

Byrne's statement as to why a mother with strong maternal attachment would book a hair appointment that clashed with a parent teacher interview... then suggesting it was to make herself feel better.... is pretty poor and desperate IMO. There is absolutely no evidence that Allison was lapsing into major depression at the time....in fact there is evidence to the contrary.

Just wondering if Mr.Byrnes is married with kids because he may have been in deep deep doo doo when he got home for dinner for suggesting the Messrs was not holding up her end of the parenting ?? :truce:

One question Her Honour. Are Byrne QC's legal fees paid for by us i.e. Legal aid?
Hello Snails, thanks for your reports today. You sure you're not actually a Court reporter? You didn't miss a thing.

I prolly shouldn't answer the Legal Aid question, as I'm not verified, but the lovely Alioop shouldn't be too far away :) If you can't wait, I believe she addressed it upthread somewheres.

I think the reason this case has affected me as much as it has is that it reminds me so much of the W D case (initials used as I don't want to spread rumours in case what I am aware of as a young person is incorrect). I went to school with her kids and it has always been fairly well known that the husband was involved but it was never proven...this is based on all the talk that went on at the time and the events as they occurred. One of the ladies who worked at the tuckshop with mum said she saw scratch marks and red marks all over her husband's neck the morning before W was reported missing...6 months later he had changed his wardrobe, was dying his hair and had a new girlfriend. Hardly the grieving husband...turned out he had been lying about their financial circumstances and W was on her way to the accountant and would have most likely found out.

W was never found although the husband was found wondering around in bushland with some bones in his hands years later - in fact I believe it was just 3 days after the 7 years had passed and her affairs would have been allowed to be sorted out/W would be declared dead as such...turned out to be animal bones...then he committed suicide. Totally horrific and tragic case...those poor kids :-( They also found a diary with all sorts of strange ramblings in it...I wonder if the case is still open simply because her body has never been found?

I recall that before the phone was put on charger , somebody tried to make a video call to Nigel's number after midnight. That did not walk so an ordinary call was made. I wonder what happened to that piece of evidence.

Yes, what happened to that.
It would make one of my theories seem even plausible :)

ETA: Saw response above - cheers!

Not at all, I wasn't meaning to single you out sorry, there just seemed to be several posts about how I seem to walk abnormally fast. I was just trying to offer a different perspective in that if Allison walked at my pace that distance wouldn't have necessarily have taken her as long as some may think. Probably didn't explain myself well (possibly still not) - long day, tired, grumpy, bedtime...

Meanwhile I just googled racewalking and saw they average 14km per hour. Now THAT is speedy!!

Lol i call that RUNNING!! It's all good, I know exactly where you're coming from. :)

I do hope you keep posting though!!

Two questions:

1. For the doctor/s in the house: my limited understanding of Seratonin Syndrome is that it's not a sudden onset thing, rather 'manifesting' over days, such that someone would notice?! With symptoms being more akin to physical agitation/mania rather than catatonia? Thoughts please?

2. Anemone, thanks for your eyewitness account. Are you able to elaborate on reports of groans from the gallery? Was that in Court 11 and if so, were you able to tell who was emitting them? Thanks Scraps :)

Regarding point 2, we were under strict instructions not to groan/smile/frown etc for fear of being thrown out of court ha ha! I was in court 11 in very close proximity to the accused's family. Am I allowed to elaborate on body language or comments made by them?:scared:

I don't know if I would hire this lawyer to defend me...but I want to give him a bit of a break because defending GBC when he was adamant he had to take the stand would be a difficult task in some ways...
Yeah and I bet he's hoping for an acquittal for the sole reason that he won't have to be in the same atmosphere as his client, preparing for and appearing on an appeal. MOO.

I think the reason this case has affected me as much as it has is that it reminds me so much of the W D case (initials used as I don't want to spread rumours in case what I am aware of as a young person is incorrect). I went to school with her kids and it has always been fairly well known that the husband was involved but it was never proven...this is based on all the talk that went on at the time and the events as they occurred. One of the ladies who worked at the tuckshop with mum said she saw scratch marks and red marks all over her husband's neck the morning before W was reported missing...6 months later he had changed his wardrobe, was dying his hair and had a new girlfriend. Hardly the grieving husband...turned out he had been lying about their financial circumstances and W was on her way to the accountant and would have most likely found out.

W was never found although the husband was found wondering around in bushland with some bones in his hands years later - in fact I believe it was just after the 7 years had passed and her affairs would have been allowed to be sorted out...turned out to be animal bones...then he committed suicide. Totally horrific and tragic case...those poor kids :-(

Wow that's just awful. :(

todays court session was a panorama of misogyny. ... a wide swath, covering all the categories of women , mothers, mistresses, wives, women with jobs, women who just will not accept that husbands must not be questioned, who will not accept the responsibility so firmly plastered onto them to keep men happy. .. no matter what it costs.. if you don't keep them happy, it is expected that you will stroll off in the dark and hurl yourself off a bridge..

The Wife.. a depressing and anxious lunatic , who's nerve in questioning a husbands straying antics seeks the obvious solution.. the Mistress.... background noise, Wallpaper, powerless, violent.. the Mother.. .. putting her hair do in front of the childrens school interview... on and on it went, . it was disgusting and reprehensible..

Oh thank you Trooper, I couldn't have put this better! That is exactly what it felt like in court today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla