The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 8th July - Trial Day 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 25s

Fuller says Allison had had a cold. Does that put things in context? #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 19s

Fuller says the women at the office had told her to leave early for hairdressers, there'd been a crash, lots of traffic. #badenclay

Fuller says Allison had made a phone call to hairdressers to say she was going to be late. #badenclay

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 1m
Allison was going to a conference, appearance was important, had been to get her hair done before and wasn't happy - Fuller #badenclay

She had been sick with a cold. She had been in traffic. Puts defence claims into context - Fuller #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 11s

Fuller says yesterday afternoon defence spoke about Allison being stressed and subdued at the hairdresser. #badenclay

Fuller says defence spoke of a psychiatrist who had never met Allison. #badenclay

Yes....that is her name 'Allison'...not the derogatory way in which the DT spoke about Allison.

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 6s

Fuller says defence asked them to look at things superficially. They were being led astray. #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · now

Fuller is talking about evidence of Amanda Reeves, DNA expert. #badenclay

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 35s
I want to talk about scientific certainty - Fuller #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 31s

Fuller says Reeves told them statistically, the blood in the car belonged to Allison Baden-Clay.

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 11s

Fuller says the blood was found in Allison's car. The other people who used the car were DNA tested. The blood was not theirs. #badenclay

Fuller says they had only owned that car for eight weeks. #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 15s

We're having a short break. #badenclay

I think he doesn't want to look at Todd as he does not like what he is saying so he is concentrating on making notes. It's an avoidance tactic. My kids do it when they don't like what I am saying to them.

Sarah Elks ‏@sarahelks 2m

Fuller on defence alternate death theory: When you put it in context, "you've been just led astray". #badenclay :clap:

That's an example of how experts approach scientific certainty - Fuller

A brief break

I sincerely hope that Priscilla and Geoff Dickie, family and friends can start to breathe again now that Fuller has started to give some perspective back. And a fine job he is doing too!

Amee do you want to do Kate's tweets for a while?

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 37s

Fuller says the pressures on Allison hadn't changed for years. The pressures on Gerard had. #badenclay

Good point to put before the jury IMO.

0.26am: Mr Byrne said the accused was presumed to be innocent and could only be convicted if the prosecution established that he was guilty of the offence charged.

He said the standard of proof was beyond reasonable doubt.

He told the jury if they were left with a reasonable doubt about guilt, it was the jury’s duty to acquit: that is find Baden-Clay not guilty.

Mr Byrne said the accused did not have to give evidence but elected to do so, reliving various matters and exposing himself to cross-examination by experienced Crown prosecutor Todd Fuller QC.

“He attacked Gerard Baden-Clay and you have seen that attack and the responses given,” he said.

Mr Byrne said Baden-Clay told the jury he would never leave his children home alone, let alone in the middle of the night for up to 40 minutes.

“You might think the lapses that Gerard Baden-Clay admitted were in respect to women and keeping quiet about such liaisons. You might think as a member of the community and using common-sense is that the very nature of a secret liaison is not something shared with others,” he said.

He said Baden-Clay’s only deception was not broadcasting his straying from his wife and conducting a lengthy affair.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-allison-in-2012/story-fnihsrf2-1226980999956

Something for everyone...:)

hot-beverages.jpg

What you draw from that at least is this: Gerard Baden-Clay is not a person who would cold-bloodedly kill his wife, the mother of his children,” he said.

“Nor is he… someone who would explode in a rage of temper… no history of that whatsoever in his life.”

Mr Byrne said apart from the possibility of Ms Baden-Clay experiencing worsening depression and the birth of a baby boy in the family, life was mostly the same around the time of April 19, 2012.

He said there were details the jury should take into account when assessing who the accused was and what was going on in his mind on April 20, 2012 when his wife disappeared.

“Think of that scenario in your own lives, if your wife, partner, husband… was simply not there in the morning,” he said.

“You work through a process and the process he went through was laid bare in the phone calls he made… his need to search and his calls, not once, not twice, but three times to police… That does not in my submission betray to you someone who is hiding something or someone who has violently killed their wife.”

Mr Byrne said Baden-Clay told Ms McHugh to just tell the truth.

He said that was not the usual response of a man who had just violently killed his wife.

Mr Byrne said Baden-Clay told the jury in evidence he was worried his wife would walk in the door or had slipped and injured herself on the day she went missing.

“As you are acutely aware from listening carefully in this trial, your role is to dispassionately assess the evidence to determine whether you can reach a verdict in this case,” he said.

He said the verdict had to be unanimous.

“Your task is to make that decision on the evidence. I mentioned yesterday and I don’t shirk from this, that there has been sensationalist media coverage, coverage which some may say… was for the lowest common denominator and had the effect of salacious gossip at times,” he said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-allison-in-2012/story-fnihsrf2-1226980999956

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288