The Duct Tape Match #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to look when I go out shopping tomorrow...I have never seen duct tape or packing tape with visible markings including the packing tape that is on my desk now.

Now, I may avoid tape that advertises...I don't know....

I know i have never seen it either.. and We always have duct tape here.. I have bought it at walmart, lowes, and other places and I normally buy the duck tape brand,
I too will have to look when i go to the store next time.

As an FYI, none of the seven pieces of duct tape found at the crime scene were found with the blanket.

My understanding is that the only piece of duct tape that was found actually sticking to anything was the tape over Caylee's mouth. Is that correct?

However, my thoughts are that the tape was placed over Caylee's mouth and then she was wrapped/bundled in the blanket. And if that happened then fibers from the blanket could have adhered to the sticky tape edges. I don't believe tape was placed over the blanket

Remember, the tape was placed so tightly over Caylees mouth that it held the mandible (jawbone) in place on the skull. That's a fairly large piece of tape and a lot of sticky. imo

I want to know if any of these "other" pieces of duct tape have evidence of decomp on the sticky side! That's what I want to know.

Yes, that's a really good point.

It's a little frightening to thing that the elements or water may have destroyed any DNA the on tape. One can only hope the Forensics team can figure that out.

O/T ....I think about all these scientists who created these tests and my hat goes off to them. Their dedication to their craft has done great things in this world and one of them is helping to lock "odious creatures" away from society. imo

If I understand the FBI report correctly, and please follow this closely, the printing would be on the underside of the silver. Like if you dissolved the adhesive, you would see the printing. I've not seen consumer grade duct tape with any kind of printing on it. When I was in high school I worked for a small company that manufactured some custom tape and distributed 3M tape. Printing would not be unusual on the back side of the backing where the consumer wouldn't see it. Hmmmm, I see it's time for and experiment.

I have not read all your post's so i appologise if this has been said ..I watch NG most nights and one night while i was watching my grandmother said something to me that kinda made me think . On this night they were talking a little or showing a clip of the so called nanny that ha charged casey and they also showed the duck tape and the heart and my grandmother said hmm look at that lady's hand if u look at ZFG's hand theres a tiny heart shaped tatoo and i thought to myself that casey loves i think its a shamrock or 4 leaf clover and u would think she would put something like that on the duck tape but if she new about that lady's tatoo im wondering if putting the heart there isn't a way to draw a connection to the tape and to her..just something that srossed my mind..

This is just so AWFUL to think about this. What makes you think her little hands were bound?Geesh this kind of would make sense why the two plastic bags also and the laundry bag. yuck!

bolded by me

Actually, I never thought her hands were bound. That was tossed out by someone else and I was just discussing the possibility. The theory was that if the tape was put over Caylee's mouth to keep her quiet then what would keep Caylee from removing it at some point.... And then the idea of her hands being taped.

My understanding is that the only piece of duct tape that was found actually sticking to anything was the tape over Caylee's mouth. Is that correct?

However, my thoughts are that the tape was placed over Caylee's mouth and then she was wrapped/bundled in the blanket. And if that happened then fibers from the blanket could have adhered to the sticky tape edges. I don't believe tape was placed over the blanket

Remember, the tape was placed so tightly over Caylees mouth that it held the mandible (jawbone) in place on the skull. That's a fairly large piece of tape and a lot of sticky. imo
(bold above by me)

Well, we don't really know. It seems that at least three pieces of duct tape, presumably including the piece over the mouth, were sent to the FBI by the M.E.

It's reasonable to assume that they were with the remains removed by the M.E.. We don't know what, if anything they may have been stuck to.

(bold above by me)

Well, we don't really know. It seems that at least three pieces of duct tape, presumably including the piece over the mouth, were sent to the FBI by the M.E.

It's reasonable to assume that they were with the remains removed by the M.E.. We don't know what, if anything they may have been stuck to.

Thanks for that clarification.

Well, low cost or value products generally won't have the surface printing as it adds cost. The cardboard core will have the logo, usage restictions, size, etc. printed in it. Sometimes, super low end products will be on a blank core.

I'm not sure what the confusion is about the heart residue. The printing is on the back side (non-sticky) side of the tape. The heart residue would be on top of that.

My confusion on the heart residue comes from the doc. dumps. Sect. 1 page marked 3381 says that while processing the duct tape the latent print unit noticed residue in the perfect shape of a heart. Then page marked 3415says The exterior non-sticky side of the duct tape at the front of the skull appeared to have worn away (wouldn't this be where the heart residue would be??). THen batch 11 page 3798 refers to Q62 - 64 as tape found on skeletal remains - examined for presence of any stickers - No stickers or sticker fragments were observed on these items.

There's my confusion - if the exterior non-sticky side appeared to have worn away and no stickers or sticker fragments were observed on the tape found on skeletal remains -- where was the heart shaped residue?? This is what I'm hoping the next doc. dump will explain -- unless someone else hopefully can. Could be just something real simple not clicking in my brain as I've read sooo much over and over.

My confusion on the heart residue comes from the doc. dumps. Sect. 1 page marked 3381 says that while processing the duct tape the latent print unit noticed residue in the perfect shape of a heart. Then page marked 3415says The exterior non-sticky side of the duct tape at the front of the skull appeared to have worn away (wouldn't this be where the heart residue would be??). THen batch 11 page 3798 refers to Q62 - 64 as tape found on skeletal remains - examined for presence of any stickers - No stickers or sticker fragments were observed on these items.

There's my confusion - if the exterior non-sticky side appeared to have worn away and no stickers or sticker fragments were observed on the tape found on skeletal remains -- where was the heart shaped residue?? This is what I'm hoping the next doc. dump will explain -- unless someone else hopefully can. Could be just something real simple not clicking in my brain as I've read sooo much over and over.

I brought this up a few days ago. IMO: The silver tape coating had worn away from the front of the skull. This degradation would have taken the sticker residue with it. There must have been some remaining silver coating on the tape located at what would be the sides of the skull (actually anywhere other than the front). This must have been where the sticker residue was found.

The initial CSI would not have even been able to say it was silver duct tape if all of the coating had worn away.

So, IMO, the heart-shaped sticker residue was maybe closer to an ear than to the mouth.

My Guess is the heart sticker was off to one side and not over Caylees mouth. As in a "kiss" on the cheek?

I brought this up a few days ago. IMO: The silver tape coating had worn away from the front of the skull. This degradation would have taken the sticker residue with it. There must have been some remaining silver coating on the tape located at what would be the sides of the skull (actually anywhere other than the front). This must have been where the sticker residue was found.

The initial CSI would not have even been able to say it was silver duct tape if all of the coating had worn away.

So, IMO, the heart-shaped sticker residue was maybe closer to an ear than to the mouth.

Thank you soooo much -- finally the wording "had worn away from the front of the skull" registered in my brain!!! Wish I'd read you post earlier, cause this has been driving me crazy. Thanks again for clearing this up in my head.

My Guess is the heart sticker was off to one side and not over Caylees mouth. As in a "kiss" on the cheek?

Thanks - I believe I got sooo hung up on that "heart sticker residue on mouth" that my brain wouldn't budge from that one spot. Kinda like it did when we saw those fusion party pictures/pole dancing stuff -- brain locks up and mouth falls open!lol Thanks again.

When duct tape is made, there is a silver (or other colored film) with the printing that is laminated to the cloth scrim and then the adhesive is applied. Prior to the lamination step, there is a polyethlyene film that is extruded (melted) on top of the silver (or other color) film. This top layer helps with weatherability and protection from water.

It may be that the PE layer was worn away in certain spots. Also, sometimes the actual color (i.e. silver) is printed on the film layer and so that can wear off as well. I am not sure if Henkel brand prints the silver or has the color blended into the film itself when it is made. I think the latter would be true but I would need to see the samples to know.

Thanks for that great info, gorba. I have a roll of Henkel "Duck" tape and can't see their logo or printing anywhere other than on the internal cardboard roll. This roll is pre-perforated (every 1/8") which doesn't require anything other than pulling to get the exact size piece you want.

Thanks for that great info, gorba. I have a roll of Henkel "Duck" tape and can't see their logo or printing anywhere other than on the internal cardboard roll. This roll is pre-perforated (every 1/8") which doesn't require anything other than pulling to get the exact size piece you want.
Preperforated?
Sure you have not picked up a roll of Henkle pat. Toilet Paper?

If duct tape is perforated nowadys it stuffs up a lot of crime scenarios.

Preperforated?
Sure you have not picked up a roll of Henkle pat. Toilet Paper?

If duct tape is perforated nowadys it stuffs up a lot of crime scenarios.

It's pre-perforated just like toilet paper. Very convenient, as I would normally make a tiny nick with my teeth to facilitate a tear.

Though edge matching might be more challenging, there is still the need to forcefully tear the perforated line with likely fingerprints and DNA transfer.

It's pre-perforated just like toilet paper. Very convenient, as I would normally make a tiny nick with my teeth to facilitate a tear.

Though edge matching might be more challenging, there is still the need to forcefully tear the perforated line with likely fingerprints and DNA transfer.
Yeah, you can't stop the march of technology.

It does sound though as if duct tape is less suitable for criminal purposes, since perforations introduce weak spots? I can imagine, for instance, a person with hands taped together has more of a chance to force a tear with pressure to a perforated point.
Also in more normal use, perforations make it less strong and certainly less weather resistant. I don't think it will be the most popular style.

Hi, I'm new here. I've been wanting to post here for last several days but had trouble registering/getting validated because I was using AOL... Anywho.... I too noticed that the FBI described seeing a black oval Henkel logo, printed in reverse on the adhesive side and is visible to be read through the non-sticky side. That was my interpretation anyway.
I have used ALOT of duct tape during almost 30 years in the amusement/attraction business. I've used many colors too, and have seen it degrade from UV and the elements. I have yet to see this elusive "black oval" on, in, or under the backing or adhesive side of DUCT tape. If what was on the skull was DUCT tape. I think the FBI just called it tape. But I say "elusive" black oval because last weekend I went to Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Lowes, Walmart and BigLots all within 10 miles of the Anthony's house (cuz thats where I live, lol) and I looked for any roll of tape with the Henkel logo on the tape itself. In fact a few of the rolls of the silver "duck" tape had already been opened so I peeled back the end to look at the adhesive underneath. Hmmmm, looked like a sleuth had already been there, lol. BTW, I don't care what is printed on the cardboard core. There are numerous "brands" but MOST use Henkel Adhesive.The cardboard part was not at the scene or on the gas can. The 800 pound gorilla tape is in the room! This is SPECIAL and UNIQUE tape! If one of you find this imprinted tape, let me know. Remember, it also says 200 F on it, which doesn't sound like a very high temperature to me. I suppose also a company may "hide" printing inside tape for maintanence reasons, such as, if after time and exposure you begin to see the logo, then it's time to replace the tape. I dunno.

Hi, I'm new here. I've been wanting to post here for last several days but had trouble registering/getting validated because I was using AOL... Anywho.... I too noticed that the FBI described seeing a black oval Henkel logo, printed in reverse on the adhesive side and is visible to be read through the non-sticky side. That was my interpretation anyway.
I have used ALOT of duct tape during almost 30 years in the amusement/attraction business. I've used many colors too, and have seen it degrade from UV and the elements. I have yet to see this elusive "black oval" on, in, or under the backing or adhesive side of DUCT tape. If what was on the skull was DUCT tape. I think the FBI just called it tape. But I say "elusive" black oval because last weekend I went to Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Lowes, Walmart and BigLots all within 10 miles of the Anthony's house (cuz thats where I live, lol) and I looked for any roll of tape with the Henkel logo on the tape itself. In fact a few of the rolls of the silver "duck" tape had already been opened so I peeled back the end to look at the adhesive underneath. Hmmmm, looked like a sleuth had already been there, lol. BTW, I don't care what is printed on the cardboard core. There are numerous "brands" but MOST use Henkel Adhesive.The cardboard part was not at the scene or on the gas can. The 800 pound gorilla tape is in the room! This is SPECIAL and UNIQUE tape! If one of you find this imprinted tape, let me know. Remember, it also says 200 F on it, which doesn't sound like a very high temperature to me. I suppose also a company may "hide" printing inside tape for maintanence reasons, such as, if after time and exposure you begin to see the logo, then it's time to replace the tape. I dunno.
Welcome.

Not really follower of the duct tape details, but few around to welcome you.

What I get from memory of posts here is this loggo would not be visible unless the outer layer was worn away? It is on the "fabric" under the silver layer. Make any sense?
Keep up the sleuthing, but if you get caught you might have to pay for the roll of tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monique 9903