The Fall Of Kabul To The Taliban

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 000% agree. I have, and would, trust them with my life; they've proven their worth to NATO and her Allies for years now. It was so much more than simple 'translation' services. The int, the details, the terrain, the ease and calm rapport with the locals ...

My son, who was in Bagram for many moons told me he believed the Afghan helpers hated Americans and he thought many of them to have been spies. This comes from a man who helped, along with others, to save several Afghani lives, from a guy who loves and gets along with everyone in many countries. Of course, one size does not fit all, never did, never will.

U.S. Embassy tells Americans NOT to go to Kabul airport due to 'security threats' | Daily Mail Online

The U.S. Embassy issued a stern warning to Americans on Saturday not to go to Kabul airport - which is the only way out of the country - because of 'security threats' outside its gates a day after President Biden vowed to bring citizens and Afghan allies home.

'Because of potential security threats outside the gates at the Kabul airport, we are advising U.S. citizens to avoid traveling to the airport and to avoid airport gates at this time unless you receive individual instructions from a U.S. government representative to do so,' the Embassy warning says.

The warning was issued less than 24 hours after Biden said there was 'no indication' that the Taliban was stopping Americans and their allies from reaching the airport and promised to get everyone home.

It was the first time Biden took questions from White House reporters - on a pre-approved list - in nine days since the chaos started unfolding in Afghanistan.

'Let me be clear, any American who wants to come home, we will get you home,' Biden pledged during the speech he started 50 minutes late where he stumbled over answers.

kabul-airport-afghanistan-maps-promo-1629325507334-articleLarge.jpg

Afghanistan Live Updates: U.S. Warns of ‘Possible Security Threats’ Outside Kabul Airport
rbbm.
''Officials said the most serious threat was that Afghanistan’s branch of ISIS would attempt an attack. President Biden offered no guarantees that all Afghans seeking escape would be able to leave.''

''The U.S. military rescues Americans from a hotel in Kabul.

The Pentagon said on Friday that 169 Americans had been rescued from a hotel in Kabul, a rare U.S. military rescue mission beyond the airport grounds since the Taliban took control of the Afghan capital nearly a week ago.

Three UH-47 helicopters based near Hamid Karzai International Airport ferried the group to safety on Thursday, John F. Kirby, the Pentagon spokesman told reporters.

The Americans had gathered at the Baron Hotel, a designated meeting point for evacuees in Kabul, from which they intended to walk the 200 yards to the Abbey Gate entrance to the airfield, Mr. Kirby said.

But officials expressed concern about a large crowd at the entrance, and U.S. commanders at the airport decided to pick up the Americans instead.

The helicopters landed next to the hotel, loaded up the passengers and flew the short hop back to the nearby airfield without incident, Mr. Kirby said.''

merlin_193468002_59886470-f911-4004-a327-285faa040c14-articleLarge.jpg

''Khalil Haqqani, a leader of the Taliban-affiliated Haqqani network, delivering remarks after Friday Prayer at the Pul-i-Khishti Mosque in Kabul, Afghanistan, on Friday.Credit...Victor J. Blue for The New York Times''
“Our first priority for Afghanistan is security,” he told the crowd, which flowed out onto the street. “If there is no security, there is no life. We will give security, then we will give economy, trade, education for men and women. There will be no discrimination.”

He was greeted by rapturous cheers.

The scene was a reminder that the Taliban enjoy broad support in many pockets of Afghanistan, although it is hard to know how deep that support runs, as Afghans have long learned to survive by cheering on those who seize power.

“People are happy now, because the Taliban brought security,” said a security guard near a money exchange booth, who declined to give his name. “But these are only the first days. It depends on how they rule whether the people will support them.”

For the moment, Mr. Haqqani basked in the reception. He was the victor and carried himself as such.

In the long and twisted tale of the U.S. involvement in Afghanistan, few groups have played as important a role as the Haqqani network.

Founded by the renowned mujahedeen commander Jalaluddin Haqqani in the late 1970s, the family’s network is suspected of aiding in Osama bin Laden’s escape from Tora Bora in 2001. Khalil Haqqani is Jalaluddin’s brother, and the uncle of the Taliban’s deputy leader, Sirajuddin Haqqani.''

''During the conflict, the Haqqanis refined a signature brand of urban terrorist attacks and cultivated a sophisticated international fund-raising network. It was a major factor in the United States military’s push to keep troops in Afghanistan.

The Haqqani network has kidnapped and held for ransom many foreigners over the years, including a New York Times journalist, his interpreter and their driver, in 2008. The reporter and interpreter escaped after eight months, and the driver a month later.

Khalil Haqqani is on both the U.S. and United Nations terrorist lists. And along with several members of the family, he is now playing a prominent role in the new Taliban regime.''

Only 2,500 are Americans? What is going on????

I'm thinking they can't make it to the airport. So what do we do? Up our troops, create a massive effort to go in and move from town to town to rescue people? I honestly don't know. And I do have to wonder if some people just want to stay. They may have joined the Taliban, either under coercion or at will.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1429109783613906948
Confirming reports of some Americans and Afghans being beaten trying to get to the airport, despite agreement between US and Taliban leaders, Pentagon Press Sec Kirby said “what appears to be happening is that not every Taliban fighter either got the word or decided to obey” it.

Last edited:
Per Lucas Tomlinson, Fox News Pentagon reporter:
BBM
Lucas Tomlinson
@LucasFoxNews

BREAKING: U.S. embassy Kabul warns of "potential security threats" outside Kabul airport. "We are advising U.S. citizens to avoid traveling to the airport and to avoid airport gates at this time."
6:32 AM · Aug 21, 2021·Twitter Web App

https://twitter.com/LucasFoxNews/status/1429043702148784130

But Biden said this wasn't the situation.....
I think it's safe to say that we are in a dangerous situation where things change on the ground rapidly. We are up against the Taliban.

The situation has been dangerous the entire time. People have been getting beaten and killed at the airport gates from the get go. Despite what some would like us to believe.

rbbm
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/afghanistan-second-military-flight-1.6148742
''Why Canadian flights are carrying fewer passengers than others

A senior official said the Canadian military flights leaving Kabul are being loaded to capacity, although the Canadian planes are carrying fewer passengers than some aircraft operated by the U.S. military.

An official said Canadian planes are not refuelling at the Kabul airport, which means they have to land and take off with more fuel in their tanks, limiting the number of people the planes are able to carry.''

"They're landing heavy and taking off heavy," the official said.

Other allied flights have been able to carry more passengers because they can refuel in mid-air after taking off from Kabul, or because they have shorter journeys to their stopover destinations.

Some passengers on Canadian flights are sitting on the floor and are not wearing seatbelts, the official also said.

Afghan refugees boarding planes are no longer required to hold valid passports before leaving the country. Ottawa said that requirement had been imposed by the Afghan government but can now be waived since the government has fallen.''

rbbm
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/afghanistan-second-military-flight-1.6148742
''Why Canadian flights are carrying fewer passengers than others

A senior official said the Canadian military flights leaving Kabul are being loaded to capacity, although the Canadian planes are carrying fewer passengers than some aircraft operated by the U.S. military.

An official said Canadian planes are not refuelling at the Kabul airport, which means they have to land and take off with more fuel in their tanks, limiting the number of people the planes are able to carry.''

"They're landing heavy and taking off heavy," the official said.

Other allied flights have been able to carry more passengers because they can refuel in mid-air after taking off from Kabul, or because they have shorter journeys to their stopover destinations.

Some passengers on Canadian flights are sitting on the floor and are not wearing seatbelts, the official also said.

Afghan refugees boarding planes are no longer required to hold valid passports before leaving the country. Ottawa said that requirement had been imposed by the Afghan government but can now be waived since the government has fallen.''

Interesting. I had seen that US flights are not all full and even almost empty. The correspondent mentioned equipment taking up some space.

My son, who was in Bagram for many moons told me he believed the Afghan helpers hated Americans and he thought many of them to have been spies. This comes from a man who helped, along with others, to save several Afghani lives, from a guy who loves and gets along with everyone in many countries. Of course, one size does not fit all, never did, never will.

This is what I was trying to say the other day. But my post was deleted because Task and Purpose isn't MSM? It absolutely is. Anyways. Green on blue attacks on our military is kept hidden because they don't want the public to know how dicey it is there. And they do not want to lose public support. It is not the Pollyanna story we are being fed. You can't tell who your friend is. My Marine son witnessed this personally. The SDF fighters in Syria, that we were trying to help, regularly racked their weapons and pointed them at the Marines. And shot my son's friend. Whose side was the SDF on. It is hard to tell.

Taliban co-founder arrives in Kabul to hammer out new government as airport chaos grows | Toronto Sun
afp_9lf76v-e1629547927887.jpg

This file handout video grab taken from a footage released by Taliban-affiliated Al Hijrat TV on August 17, 2021 shows Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar's arrival in Afghanistan, in Kandahar. Photo by - /Al Hijrat TV/AFP via Getty Image

''KABUL — Taliban co-founder Mullah Baradar has arrived in Kabul for talks with other leaders to hammer out a new Afghan government, a Taliban official said on Saturday, almost a week after the Islamist militants took over the capital without resistance.''

This is what I was trying to say the other day. But my post was deleted because Task and Purpose isn't MSM? It absolutely is. Anyways. Green on blue attacks on our military is kept hidden because they don't want the public to know how dicey it is there. And they do not want to lose public support. It is not the Pollyanna story we are being fed. You can't tell who your friend is. My Marine son witnessed this personally. The SDF fighters in Syria, that we were trying to help, regularly racked their weapons and pointed them at the Marines. And shot my son's friend. Whose side was the SDF on. It is hard to tell.
I hope there is a super rigorous vetting process. I worry too. Between the pandemic and our homegrown terrorist problems, we have our hands overflowing. At the same time, I want to honor those veterans who can vouch for those who helped us. None of this is going to be clean and easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu