The Fall Of Kabul To The Taliban

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many black banners today from people all over my fb. So many people and families are hurting. This is so much to try to process. My heart is broken for so many that I love and for our country.

@WildOrchid I echo you.

Extra special prayers for our fallen heroes, and our brave Troops still on the ground. Thinking of their families as well.

You’re blaming troops on the ground for this? Seriously? There are what? 5000, maybe 6000 of them? Trying to defend and evacuate literally tens of thousands of people, while sitting in the middle of hostile territory with hundreds of thousands of people surrounding the airport?

You have got to be kidding me. The only surprising thing is that it took suicide bombers this long to act.

I'm blaming the Pentagon and US intelligence services.

From Dan Lamothe, Militarybeat Washington Post

https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1431030040926556167

"These fallen service members include 10 Marines, two U.S. soldiers and a Navy corpsman, defense official says. Earlier reporting that there were 11 Marines KIA appears to be incorrect.
Quote Tweet
WZyEXW_6_mini.jpg

Dan Lamothe
@DanLamothe
· 55m
A 13th U.S. troop died following the ISIS terrorist attack at Kabul airport. Eighteen wounded, "all of whom are in the process of being aeromedically evacuated from Afghanistan on specially equipped C-17s with embarked surgical units," Navy Capt. Bill Urban says in statement. "

It's also important to remember that this wasn't the Taliban's action. ISIS-K has no qualms about attacking the Taliban or US troops - they are rival extremists. What We Know About ISIS-K, The Group Behind The Kabul Attacks

There are terrorist attacks in Afghanistan all the time, it's notable and heartwrenching that today was the first time since the Trump administration's deal back in February 2020 that US troops died. But it was not a peaceful place before we started the withdrawal process. After the deal, the Taliban switched over to assassinations and attacks on the Afghan army. This was a violation of the deal, but the Trump administration didn't hold them accountable when they could have - they just moved along in handing the country over. US citizens were preoccupied with the pandemic, and the news never really covered Afghanistan, so many don't know about the deal.

This is a nasty mess, because of course we can't trust the Taliban, but we are in the position of working with them to get ourselves out. They are being attacked by ISIS-K, just like we are. What happens when we leave? Nonstop chaos between different terrorist groups? I guess, but we can't stay now, even though plenty would love to keep making money off of it.

Taliban are back - what next for Afghanistan?

Last edited:
ADMIN NOTE:

This is a horrific situation, but members need to dial down the politicizing, aggression and bickering or we'll have to go with a Media only *NO DISCUSSION* thread.

We truly don't want to do that but we don't have the staff to deal with all the violations.

It's up to members whether this thread stays up or not.

It's also important to remember that this doesn't appear to have been the Taliban. ISIS-K has no qualms about attacking the Taliban or US troops - they are extreme extremists. What We Know About ISIS-K, The Group Behind The Kabul Attacks

There are terrorist attacks in Afghanistan all the time, it's notable and heartwrenching that today was the first time since the Trump administration's deal back in February 2020 that US troops died. But it was not a peaceful place before we started the withdrawal process. After the deal, the Taliban switched over to assassinations and attacks on the Afghan army. This was a violation of the deal, but the Trump administration didn't hold them accountable when they could have - they just moved along in handing the country over. US citizens were preoccupied with the pandemic, and the news never really covered Afghanistan, so many don't know about the deal.

This is a nasty mess, because of course we can't trust the Taliban, but we are in the position of working with them to get ourselves out. They are being attacked by ISIS-K, just like we are. What happens when we leave? Nonstop chaos between different terrorist groups? I guess, but we can't stay now, even though plenty would love to keep making money off of it.

Taliban are back - what next for Afghanistan?

That's up to the people of Afghanistan. We can't control how other countries govern themselves, at least we can't do it by invading their countries for 20 yrs and bombing them into oblivion.

Close them off to the best extent possible, as they were before. Like Iraq. I think the expression is like a scorpion in a jar.

It's up to us to use common sense and protect our own borders from terrorists. We know how to do it. 911 could have been avoided. Focus on prevention.

Everyone wanted out of Afghanistan, there is a right way and there is a wrong way. The way taken was very wrong and cost many lives needlessly. If these people were evacuated prior the the Taliban taking over, many lives would have been saved. You simply don't remove the military prior to removing the Americans and the allies who helped them.

I am military; I absolutely agree with the above. That does not negate the facts. 45 began this cookie to crumbling by negotiating with terrorists - emboldening them by legitimizing them. If you don't think that legitimizing them via political means so that they COULD aim to take over in the first place plays no role in their on-ground actions today and has not led to lives cost as well ... sending in his Secretary of State to Doha to "makes deals" with them!!?? Unreal. Terrorists don't make deals and ANY prior POTUS, military member, John Q Public could have told 45 that. Meh.

NEITHER 45 nor 46 have clean hands here. That's just the truth. ZERO plan from either one of them.

You make many valid points, but the deal is the context. That matters, because it ratcheted up the danger of our withdrawal, especially by releasing terrorists and not holding the Taliban accountable for their violations. It gave them time to prepare. Moreover, the military did not get removed from Afghanistan in the dead of the night. They are still there. If you are referring to Bagram, the details are under dispute, and the former Afghan leadership are not especially credible right now. It is not credible that we just left and forgot to tell them, IMO. Afghan And American Officials Dispute The Details Of The U.S. Pullout From Bagram

Imagining for a moment that I was a terrorist with aspirations to take over a country that the US military was withdrawing from, I think that what would embolden me the most is the huge cache of state of the art weapons, equipment and information deliberately left behind due to faulty (being kind there) intelligence about what the so-called Afghan army was likely to do.

Yeah, no, sorry. We've spent 20 yrs and trillions of dollars there, not really sure why. There's no need to go back. Just leave and stop wasting so much lives and money invading other countries who pose no real threat to the US and whose threats can be managed other ways.

Well we have troops in other countries for a reason. South Korea comes to mind as well as Europe. Sadly, because of what we have seen happen, I question whether we can leave completely. Sad sad sad!

If the deal gave the Taliban time to prepare - does it not stand to reason that the US should have taken the time to prepare and plan a withdrawal that did not allow the Taliban to take Kabul and surround the only airport for evacuation?
Yes, it does. And he acknowledges that he will have to answer for that lack of preparedness.

The service members killed today are mostly from my state. I'm so angry and sick at heart right now that I can't post as fully as I need to.

Would that be a Camp Lejeune?

Jacksonville remembering Marines, corpsman killed in Kabul

Jacksonville is reacting to the deaths of a dozen Marines and a Navy corpsman this morning at the airport in Kabul.

City officials late this afternoon are placing a wreath at the Freedom Fountain in downtown Jacksonville in honor of their memory.

“Even though we are not sure yet if these marines that were involved were from our base in Camp Lejeune, we are still saddened and this is the least we can do at this time to honor their passing and memorialize their duty to their country.”

Mayor Sammy Phillips, Jacksonville
The Pentagon has not said what military units those killed and injured are assigned to, but elements of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit have been assisting with the evacuation at the airport. That MEU is made up of 2100 Marines and Sailors from Camp Lejeune, New River, and Cherry Point.

Taliban vow to tackle CLIMATE CHANGE amid civilian executions and eradication of women's freedoms | Daily Mail Online

The Taliban has vowed to tackle climate change and global security as part of the terror group's attempt to rebrand itself and modernise despite reports of civilian executions and the erosion of women's rights under the new Afghan regime.

Abdul Qahar Balkhi, a member of the Taliban's Cultural Commission, says the Islamists want to play a role on the global stage.

He told Newsweek: 'We hope not only to be recognised by regional countries but the entire world at large as the legitimate representative government of the people of Afghanistan who have gained their right of self-determination from a foreign occupation with the backing and support of an entire nation after a prolonged struggle and immense sacrifices despite all odds being stacked against our people.

'We believe the world has a unique opportunity of rapprochement and coming together to tackle the challenges not only facing us but the entire humanity.

'These challenges ranging from world security and climate change need the collective efforts of all, and cannot be achieved if we exclude or ignore an entire people who have been devastated by imposed wars for the past four decades.'

Unbelievable... I just don't have words... I really don't. o_O :(

Imagining for a moment that I was a terrorist with aspirations to take over a country that the US military was withdrawing from, I think that what would embolden me the most is the huge cache of state of the art weapons, equipment and information deliberately left behind due to faulty (being kind there) intelligence about what the so-called Afghan army was likely to do.
What a windfall, I bet the Taliban can't believe the US gave them an entire full equipment air force base with runways, uniforms, Black Hawks, weapons.... A turn key military base.

We gave them a list of US citizens and Afghans attempting to evacuate, now at high risk for death or hostage situation.

Pretty nice set up for a terrorist. Bet they are laughing their *** off at the US right now.

Sad, what has happened and this will cost the US dearly. I am physically ill for what has happen to our troops.

JMHO...

Last edited by a moderator:
Unbelievable... I just don't have words... I really don't. o_O :(

The only thing I can think of is that Afghanistan supposedly has large lithium deposits needed for the batteries for electric cars and such. So maybe they plan to "partner" with China or Russia to exploit that resource and pretend they're doing it out of concern for "climate change" to garner the support of those who are all about that sort of thing?

What a windfall, I bet the Taliban can't believe the US gave them an entire full equipment air force base with runways, uniforms, Black Hawks, weapons.... A turn key military base.

We gave them a list of US citizens and Afghans attempting to evacuate, now at high risk for death or hostage situation.

Pretty nice set up for a terrorist. Bet they are laughing their a$$ off at the US right now.

Sad, what has happened and this will cost the US dearly. I am physically ill for what has happen to our troops.

JMHO...

It's absolutely shocking that it happened in Afghanistan. It happened during Sarajevo : USA tanks left behind, but not on a scale that happened in Afghanistan. Did the USA think that the military equipment left behind was safely in the hands of the foreign established government without personally putting it in their hands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan