The Grand Jury & Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish it was today! If not, they have a LOT more than I suspected which isn't good for the Harris's.
I have a hard time believing there is more as Cherokee County hasn't sent for him to file charges against. I also don't think it was only one underage girl that he was texting....
Silence can be golden.... I am impatient...
moo

All posts are MOO

How many days are there left? I know there was a 90 day countdown before he could potentially get bond if they didn't go before the grand jury before then, is that correct?

90 days from the bond hearing is October 1

90 days from his arrest is September 16

Has anyone followed another trial in Georgia? What info was released after the GJ? It differs by state.

In 90 percent of cases, grand jurors vote in favor of indictment, according to Richard A. Malone, executive director of the Prosecuting Attorney's Council of Georgia and the former district attorney for the Middle Judicial Circuit.

Grand juries must consider every murder charge in Georgia and prosecutors must seek indictments within 90 days of arrest. If they do not, the suspect becomes eligible for a bond even in cases where bail had already been denied or would not otherwise be considered.

Grand jury votes are secret and the jurors are sworn not to discuss cases outside the deliberation room.

http://savannahnow.com/stories/092505/3317013.shtml

Where is AtTheLake? Maybe she could go? I live too far away now or I would go.

Did someone call my name out? :seeya: I.DID.NOT.KNOW.THIS.THREAD.EXISTED!!!!! jeez, you could have pm'd me :blowkiss: as I have driven past the courthouse 4 times in the last month!

I'm headed to Florida in the am... but can help out with whatever y'all need when I get back. Retirement has it's rewards ya know :giggle:

Now that I've posted, this thread will be on my radar and I'll check in again during my travels.

The GJ only meets 1x a week. They need to indict Ross by September 16. So they have about 4-5 meetings left. There is still plenty of time.

I feel like since we are not hearing anything about the GJ, perhaps that means that all we will hear is that Ross was indicted.

Could the GJ decide to indict him on different charges?

Can someone explain what indictment means? I understand the word but I'm confused by the context as this is the first case I've followed.

I've alerted your post to ask the Mods to contact one of our Verified Legal Eagles to chime in to this thread to help out.

Hopefully they will soon.

:grouphug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone explain what indictment means? I understand the word but I'm confused by the context as this is the first case I've followed.

An indictment is when they lay the formal charges. A person is arrested and charged with a crime. Those are just the charges the police lay at the arrest. Then the person generally has a preliminary hearing and indictment - the preliminary hearing is to determine if there is enough evidence to hold and charge the person. If so, the DA will put the formal charges together and formally charge the person at the indictment.

Gitana - correct me if I'm wrong. I don't work in crimlaw and I didn't pull out my hornbook this morning :)

Salem

The GJ only meets 1x a week. They need to indict Ross by September 16. So they have about 4-5 meetings left. There is still plenty of time.

I feel like since we are not hearing anything about the GJ, perhaps that means that all we will hear is that Ross was indicted.

Could the GJ decide to indict him on different charges?

It is my understanding that the prosecutor [DAs Office] will present any number of charges that the DA feels is applicable against JRH. The charges will be judged by the Grand Jurors based on sworn witness testimony. The Grand Jurors decide which of the numerous charges, if any, should go forward for prosecution based upon the gov't's [DAs Office] evidence presented to them. We, the public, may never know all of the charges the DAs office presents to the GJ. We may only learn of the charges that the GJ agrees upon, at which time, then, those agreed upon charges are called a True Bill [or a bill of indictment] and signed by the GJ foreman.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/True+bill

I am not a lawyer and do not pretend to be one here. OMO

An indictment is when they lay the formal charges. A person is arrested and charged with a crime. Those are just the charges the police lay at the arrest. Then the person generally has a preliminary hearing and indictment - the preliminary hearing is to determine if there is enough evidence to hold and charge the person. If so, the DA will put the formal charges together and formally charge the person at the indictment.

Gitana - correct me if I'm wrong. I don't work in crimlaw and I didn't pull out my hornbook this morning :)

Salem

Thank you. I had no idea it was such a process!

"We're nearing the September 18 date," Reynolds said, noting that under Georgia law a defendant cannot be held without bond for more than 90 days from the arrest date without being indicted. "I'm not wed to that date. I'm not going to let time determine what we do," Reynolds said, adding he generally instructs his team to "indict when you're ready to try the case."

But the D.A. also said the 90-day time frame is generally his goal. He said he found as a defense attorney before taking the D.A. job that when he won acquittals for clients, it was often when the state had delayed indicting the case.

So the DA is saying he will possibly let it go past 90 days? Then, what? Does Harris automatically get bond?

http://www.dailyreportonline.com/id...-Evidence-from-Police?slreturn=20140730235533

Grand juries must consider every murder charge in Georgia and prosecutors must seek indictments within 90 days of arrest. If they do not, the suspect becomes eligible for a bond even in cases where bail had already been denied or would not otherwise be considered.

http://savannahnow.com/stories/092505/3317013.shtml

I do not think the prosecution would mention not indicting Ross by 90 days unless there was a huge possibility of it. Has the GJ even started to hear the case? I would presume w/ a major murder case, it would take more than one hearing. What evidence could they possibly be waiting on? Why have the police not sent it over? There is three-month long wait to process it? Are they saying they cannot get an indictment w/o this evidence? Are they required to show all evidence they would use in the trial to the GJ?

Much of what I think will go into building the case against JRH is relating to his searches and his online activity in the weeks prior to and the day of the Cooper's death. JRH also just happens to work in the field of computers. It is a likelihood IMO that for all we (and LE) found of his online footprints there are many many more that he deleted, or attempted to scrub. I am remembering the Anthony case and how very long it took for forensic analysis of ICA's online activities. AND they STILL missed key evidence even so.

I am thinking it is this online forensic analysis that is what is taking so long. Even if JRH did not delete, scrub or alter his online footprints, it is a possible and therefore IMO important to investigate if that happened. Only way to know if it did or did not is to check. And that can take quite a bit of time.

District Attorney Vic Reynolds has reserved a room in which to hold press conference for 3 p.m., presumably to discuss any indictments that emerge from the day’s proceedings. Grand jury proceedings are closed to the public.

So it will take one day for the GJ to hear the case and make a decision? The Ramsey GJ took 18 months. Why the difference? I would think it would be more than a day...

A person with direct knowledge of the case confirmed that prosecutors will present evidence in the death of 22-month-old Cooper Harris to the grand jury this morning. Chief felony prosecutor Chuck Boring entered the grand jury room shortly after 9 a.m.

And the media thinks they will make a decision by 3? So they have less than 6 hours to hear the entire case and discuss it? That seems unlikely. I think the 3 PM press conference could just be to say this was first day of GJ, decision will be in eventually, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab