The Grand Jury & Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
New poster but not new to this case. I will never forget watching HLN or some news show with my husband the night this story broke and how emotional my husband was over what Cooper had gone through (we have a son only a year older than Cooper who is our only child and our world). Yesterday, the Daily Share on HLN was a "look back" to mark one year for this case and my heart was broken all over again. I was hoping the trial would take place this summer but as others as said, the defense probably made sure that wouldn't happen. smdh. Regardless, it's the south and I'm in NC and it's still fairly hot here through October so, maybe it will start early fall and the jurors will still have *some* idea or reminder of what Cooper went through that day.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/national/1-year-later-ross-harris-still-awaiting-trial-hot-/nmghf/
A man police believe intentionally killed his son remains in jail, and a trial date remains distant one year after a young boy died inside a hot car in Georgia

Cooper Harris, 2, died after he was left inside his father’s hot car for more than seven hours on June 18, 2014.

At first, many expressed outrage that his father, Ross Harris, was charged with his death, but as more evidence came to light, the pendulum swung the other way. Many say they will never forget the emotions felt that day.

“Obviously it was a bit dramatic, hands in the air looking up towards the sky, ‘What have I done?’” said a witness who was in the Akers Mill shopping center where Ross Harris allegedly discovered his son that day.

Ross Harris stopped there after leaving work, getting out of his car and screaming that his child was lifeless in the back seat.
Investigators said Cooper Harris likely died of hyperthermia hours earlier as he sat in the car in a parking deck at the Home Depot headquarters where Ross Harris worked.
Some who witnessed Harris in the parking lot stood up for the Cobb County father.

Remember when there was that story out about Leanna meeting with lawyer Lin Wood? I do believe the meeting happened, as it was reported by MSM outlets, but Wood turned down Leanna's request. She likely wanted him to defend her for free, and he knew that she had no case, so it would just be a waste of time, resources, and money for him. I imagine it was a big blow to Leanna's ego when Wood said he wouldn't represent her; she probably went into his office thinking about how mean the big bad media had been to her. We haven't heard a word from Leanna since August when the victim impact statement was released.

Leanna is smart to stay out of the media; I don't think she would be able to support herself for the rest of her life if she decided to make a huge media attention seeker. I think that is why we see so many likely killers-but-never-been-arrested stop talking to the media and fade away. They realize that they can't generate too much notority for themselves, or they will never be hired again.

Thinking about this little boy. Hoping for justice.

I am new to WS but have followed this case closely. By coincidence I went to dinner on the evening of Cooper's death at a restaurant in the shopping center where JRH pulled the car over (met friends there, having no idea what was happening there). The scene was chilling and has stayed with me since that day.

I did some poking around and saw where the state just turned over 20 cd's worth of evidence to the defense team a little over a month ago. So, it seems they are working hard, and leaving no stone unturned.

I feel like it would only lead to an appeal if the defense could prove that the jury only voted guilty because they experienced what it was like to be in a hot car every day during the trial. I would think that in Georgia, most of the year, you need to put the AC on or roll down the windows when you get in your car. Jurors are suppose to put away their personal feelings during the trial, and only focus on the facts and evidence presented, so unless the defense can prove they didn't do so, I don't see an appeal being successful. I wouldn't be surprised if during jury selection, the jury is asked if they will be influenced by how hot their car feels (assuming it takes place during the hot months).
I'm 3 hours north of Atlanta, and its hot as hello here. I don't think anyone who lives there will not recall how hot it is in June. I always wonder what happened to the days when the attorney would just tell the defendant- plead guilty and beg for mercy, we got no case. I am disappointed that the mother was not charged, they were both so off in their behavior. My sister in law lives in Marietta, and said they better hope they don't get her on the jury. I kinda wish they would.

BTW- a lot of winter days, I drive to work with the heat on, and drive home with the AC

My family lost a baby last year to murder not too long after Cooper's death. The murderer's attorney keeps asking for and getting delay after delay. For some reason the judge here allows it also. They seem to bend over backward for the accused. All these delays just prolong the inevitable (in our case) because the evidence is overwhelming but his attorney wants to go to court apparently. If they were smart they'd try for a plea bargain. Same here for Ross H.

I imagine it is get wrenching for y'all to have to wait that way. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I know the waiting and repeated delays are frustrating. But, in the long run, a conviction has a better chance of sticking when the court does not rush a defendant. Any claim they may have of ineffective assistance of counsel or inability to complete pretrial discovery increases the chance of grounds for appeal. And, the longer the state has to prepare, the more evidence they'll have ready.

Just trying to show the silver lining. Prayers to you as you continue to seek justice.

Defense attorneys are also seeking the return of a laptop belonging to Harris' wife, which they say houses photographs that could prove helpful to Harris' case. For similar reasons, they want police to return keepsakes Cooper made for his father that were seized from Harris' office.

"Such personal items demonstrate the state of feelings between father and son and are therefore relevant and exculpatory," defense attorneys wrote in a motion.

Harris' lawyers also found fault with the police investigation into the toddler's death.

They argue police didn't have probable cause for search warrants and therefore illegally searched Harris' vehicle, home, office, financial accounts, cell phones and other electronic devices. A motion asks the judge to throw out any evidence obtained from those searches.

They also argue that police didn't properly advise Harris of his rights before questioning him the day his son died and illegally eavesdropped on and recorded conversations between Harris and his wife at the police station. They ask the judge not to allow any of those statements to be used at trial.

Harris' lawyers also argue in several motions that certain provisions in Georgia law and their use against him in the indictment violate his constitutional rights.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/09/lawyers_to_debate_evidence_all.html

Does anyone know whether this pre-trial will be covered live?

My family lost a baby last year to murder not too long after Cooper's death. The murderer's attorney keeps asking for and getting delay after delay. For some reason the judge here allows it also. They seem to bend over backward for the accused. All these delays just prolong the inevitable (in our case) because the evidence is overwhelming but his attorney wants to go to court apparently. If they were smart they'd try for a plea bargain. Same here for Ross H.

I'm so sorry that you all lost a little baby! You have my heartfelt prayers and wishes that you will be able to heal from this tragedy.

As far as the murderer is concerned, is that individual in jail awaiting trial, or remaining free until the trial date? From what I've observed, it seems that when the cards are stacked against the defendant before the trial even begins, but defendant is not in jail, the def's lawyer will seek numerous delays so that the def. can have freedom for as long as possible. It usually DOES NOT bode well for an accused murderer who remains free pending trial.

(My opinion only!)

8791839_G.jpg

Justin Ross Harris on 9/14/15
http://www.wsmv.com/story/30021995/...ft-child-to-die-in-hot-car-to-appear-in-court

Harris, looked slightly thinner and now sporting a buzz cut.
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/hot-car-death-dad-back-in-court/nnd5W/

I found a document where the media argues why the hearings should not be closed. It says that the case is not "unusual" enough to warrant that, and that JRH's friends and family used the media to shape public perception, so he has no right to now complain about it. It says that JRH's complant is basically "There's a lot of media coverage and I don't like it". LOL.

It also makes a very good argument that if the hearing is closed to the public, it will allow JRH's family to present advantegous evidence to the public, without the prosecution being able to share any of their evidence to contradict it. The hearing will enable the public to see all the evidence, not just the ones that JRH chooses to share.

I don't understand how the defense can argue that 29 articles in the AJC is a significant amount? I bet most of those were within the first 2 weeks of the case. And even if they were spread out throughout the past 14 months, that would be about 1 article every 2 weeks. How is that overwhelming publicity?

View attachment JRHMedia.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member