The man with a pencil in his head

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by Donjeta, May 29, 2013.

1. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

Pencil extracted from Afghan man's head
    German doctors say an Afghan man who for years suffered from headaches, a runny nose and eyesight problems was found to have a 10-centimetre (four-inch) pencil lodged in his head
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22699975

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162...removes-pencil-from-mans-head-after-15-years/

Support pen control!

2. Loading...

3. TrackerSam

TrackerSam New Member

Get the lead out. The man had #2 on his mind.

4. PFF

PFF New Member

Stories Sould like the old Ripley's Beleive It or Not......!
    :cat:

5. oh_gal

oh_gal New Member

Pencil neck, meet pencil head.

6. FigTree

FigTree New Member

:dunno: ........ :liar: ........ :noooo:

7. TrackerSam

TrackerSam New Member

And he couldn't remember anything, as if his memories had been erased.

8. Paintr

Paintr New Member

Guess while he had the pencil in his head, he was always in his write mind. :drumroll:

9. Paintr

Paintr New Member

Now he keeps missing the point! :facepalm:

10. TrackerSam

TrackerSam New Member

He started telling people his name was Eberhard Faber.

11. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

12. ctkid

ctkid New Member

His friends thought that it was odd that he always wanted to wear yellow clothing.

13. TrackerSam

TrackerSam New Member

But he was still a sharp dresser, except when he dyed his hair orange. :floorlaugh:

14. Ausgirl

Ausgirl Enough Is Enough!

Bahahaha! I had this vision of the surgeon plucking the pen out: *SCRIBBLESCRIBBLE* "Hey it's still good!"

Pencil guy could feasibly suffer a profound sense of loss after losing his inner writing implement. His confidence might be sketchy, to the point of asking:

"2B or not to 2B?"

15. FigTree

FigTree New Member

Aussies of a certain vintage will get this one :D

Attached Files:

16. TrackerSam

TrackerSam New Member

Ever hear the expression 'pencil.....never mind.

17. Ausgirl

Ausgirl Enough Is Enough!

I have never seen that Man from the Moon in my life. >>

18. Gettup

Gettup New Member

Wow. When I was around 5yrs old, my older bully brother stabbed me in the forehead with a sharp pencil and my mom took me to the Emergency Room because there was a chunk of lead embedded into my forehead. The Doctors told her to leave it, not to mess with it because if they removed it, it would cause lead poisoning. (at least i think that's what they said, if i remember correctly)

Now 35 years later, the lead is still in my forehead, it's a greenish-blue color and if I put my finger on it, it moves around under the skin (it's kinda gross feeling) It's not very noticeable until i point it out, once i do, you can definitely tell there's a chunk of lead in my head. hahaha What's weird, is I have the same exact symptoms going on as this man did... Mainly a runny nose and a watering right eye along with some eyesight problems and slight headaches. This has been going on for as long as I can remember. It seems my nose is constantly running, like i have the sniffles, but i am never sick. It's not from a cold or anything... Ever! Same with my watering right eye... it's not from allergies or anything, it just tears up every morning for a few hours and then stops... but it's annoying as hell!o

I wonder if it's doing more damage by remaining in my head or if I should've sought treatment to get it removed? But since that first doctor told my mom it was dangerous to remove it, due to the risk of lead poisoning, I just never bothered to pursue medical treatment. I wonder if by leaving it there, if it will only cause it to progressively get worse? :scared:

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

If so, I'd love to hear em'

Thanks!
    :newbie:

19. Donjeta

I don't think you can get lead poisoning from a pencil tip unless it was an antique pencil from the medieval ages. What is called the lead is generally made of graphite which is carbon based, and clay.
    In the first half of the 20th century or so, pencils may have been painted with paint containing lots of lead though which could have been ingested if chewing pencils.
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphite"]Graphite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pencil"]Pencil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

20. Gettup

Gettup New Member

hahaha lmfao! :floorlaugh:

Seriously? whoa, so all this time I have been walking around with graphite and clay in my head? hahaha! so why is the little chunk embedded there a greenish blue color? I thought that's what color the lead became under the skin, no?

Wow, so what do you think made the man with the pencil in his head experience these symptoms? since he didn't actually ingest the pencil, or chew on it, the paint wouldn't have caused it would it? Or just the mere fact that he had a 4 inch pencil in his head could've caused a plethora of symptoms, since it was in there so long?

So do you think there is any danger in having this chunk of granite and clay in my head for 35 years? Do you think it's safe to have it removed?

I wonder why the Doctor told my mom that? Or maybe that's just what my mom "told" me the Doctor said huh? Lol :moo:

Thanks for the input, i totally appreciate it and the reference. Quite interesting. I didn't know any of that :)

21. Donjeta

Graphite, not granite.

I'm no doctor but I don't think poisoning is a serious issue if you've got a small chunk of graphite in your head. I would imagine that the main risks are infection, if you leave it there, and possible facial scarring, if it's removed. Either way it's probably a small risk if it's been there uninfected for 35 years and the scarring would likely be minimal if it's a very tiny piece.

JMO but I think the man with the 4 inch pencil in his head probably had the symptoms because the strange sharp object had caused injury in his sinuses and his eyesocket and his symptoms had little or nothing to do with the possibility of lead.

If your injury is just a fragment under the skin it's not as drastic as that.