The PayPal Defense Fund

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is GZ profiteering from this?

This is for his defense fund.

now, IF he was sticking all the money into his pockets etc. then we would have a problem.

He benefits from having a defense fund.

He benefits from having a defense fund.

Yeah, it's a win-win situation all around. That's why they have it.

In fact, some of the money that had to be turned over to MOM after George disclosed the amount, came from GZ's wife's bank account (according to MOM). Doesn't look like they were planning on using that for defense.

now, IF he was sticking all the money into his pockets etc. then we would have a problem.

We know that 54k went into his pockets per MOM.
IMO.

IMO.

Actually, we know

The week of April 23, we disclosed that the PayPal account Mr. Zimmerman had opened before his arrest collected approximately $204,000. That account has been closed, and approximately $150,000 of that money is being transferred to the new independently administered trust account. Approximately 3.5% of the money raised was consumed by PayPal fees. Of the balance $5,000 went to bond, a little more than $1,000 was put into telephone and commissary accounts at the jail. Much of the rest was used to address the considerable expense of closing existing financial obligations, attending to his security and secured transportation and setting up new, secure living quarters where he can safely await trial. Roughly a third of the balance remains liquid and in Mr. Zimmerman’s possession for living expenses for the next few months. So far, none of the funds have been applied to legal expenses.

from gzlegalcase.com

IMO.

My guess is MOM told him to take that amount out for expenses until he goes to trial in a year or so. This would allow GZ's wife to get through school, get her degree and get employment so they would at least have an income. That would be a reasonable amount to live on for the year. jmo

And had MOM not stepped in to oversee the fund, who knows what GZ would do with the money? He certainly didn't see fit to inform the court of the fund at the bail hearing, so if there WAS a problem, how would you know?

By the way, it's not only a "defense" fund, it's also a fund to cover the shooter's living expenses. That sure sounds like profit to me.

IMO.

And had MOM not stepped in to oversee the fund, who knows what GZ would do with the money? He certainly didn't see fit to inform the court of the fund at the bail hearing, so if there WAS a problem, how would you know?

By the way, it's not only a "defense" fund, it's also a fund to cover the shooter's living expenses. That sure sounds like profit to me.

IMO.

As far as I'm aware, he didn't have access to a computer while in jail to be able to check to see how much was in it - and even then I wouldn't want to log into my financial institution's websites in a prison, period.

Somehow this thread melted down into a bashing of Trayvon's parents and I am not really sure how that happened.
I'll assume I wasn't clear on the topic and take responsibity for it.

This is about the defense fund that has created some controversy. Discuss the good, the bad and the ugly-but it has zero to do with Trayvon's parents.
Whatever happened to Trayvon- their child is dead through no fault of their own and parent bashing is not going to be tolerated. They are not suspects, their child is dead. Have some compassion people.
Thanks.

More specifically, MOM benefits from the defense fund.

Well, MOM did say earlier he was taking the case pro bono but after he found out about the paypal bucks, he did say, he expects to get paid now.
Somehow, I wonder if GZ was anticipating that shocking financial change to his windfall. And I also wonder if that went over like a lead balloon.:floorlaugh:

As far as I'm aware, he didn't have access to a computer while in jail to be able to check to see how much was in it - and even then I wouldn't want to log into my financial institution's websites in a prison, period.

He had a phone card and could call into Paypal for current balance. IIRC MOM did say that about 1000 bucks was spent in jail on the commissary, that is a lot of snacks/underwear and phone calls.

He had a phone card and could call into Paypal for current balance. IIRC MOM did say that about 1000 bucks was spent in jail on the commissary, that is a lot of snacks/underwear and phone calls.

About the $1,000, is it possible that it was deposited after the bail hearing "just in case" ? I honestly have no clue and haven't seen a date for that deposit.

About calling paypal, personally I wouldn't do that if I were in jail. I'd probably opt to leave all of the financial institution stuff to people outside of the walls. Just my thought.

About the $1,000, is it possible that it was deposited after the bail hearing "just in case" ? I honestly have no clue and haven't seen a date for that deposit.

About calling paypal, personally I wouldn't do that if I were in jail. I'd probably opt to leave all of the financial institution stuff to people outside of the walls. Just my thought.

From MOM's gzlegalcase website:
"Of the balance $5,000 went to bond, a little more than $1,000 was put into telephone and commissary accounts at the jail. "

I am scratching my head about that "just in case". No clue what you mean by that. May be I am just dense. MOM did not find out about the money till a couple of days after the bond hearing. I believe GZ was already bonded out of jail by that time or at least very close. Plus I doubt if MOM would have accounted for the 1000 bucks, if he just would have parked it there for a short time without it being spent.
Thought there was a max anyway , a jailbird can have in his commissary account at any given time, lower than 1000 IIRC ,more in the range of a
couple of hundred.
Before the bond hearing, like day one of jail time, GZ had around 200 bucks in jail account. Suspect dear wifey kept it in the black. All IMO.
And I would not be at all surprised if MOM did have a struggle at his hands to have GZ fork over the balance of his loot after MOM found out about it.
GZ is not exactly the kind that follows good advice.

From MOM's gzlegalcase website:
"Of the balance $5,000 went to bond, a little more than $1,000 was put into telephone and commissary accounts at the jail. "

I am scratching my head about that "just in case". No clue what you mean by that. May be I am just dense. MOM did not find out about the money till a couple of days after the bond hearing. I believe GZ was already bonded out of jail by that time or at least very close. Plus I doubt if MOM would have accounted for the 1000 bucks, if he just would have parked it there for a short time without it being spent.
Thought there was a max anyway , a jailbird can have in his commissary account at any given time, lower than 1000 IIRC ,more in the range of a
couple of hundred.
Before the bond hearing, like day one of jail time, GZ had around 200 bucks in jail account. Suspect dear wifey kept it in the black. All IMO.
And I would not be at all surprised if MOM did have a struggle at his hands to have GZ fork over the balance of his loot after MOM found out about it.
GZ is not exactly the kind that follows good advice.

Yeah, that's why I asked if it was possible. It's possible that the judge could decide to deny bail after the whole paypal account thing. Without a date I can't say that it was deposited before Mr. O'Mara knew about it or after.

Over $7,000 would have gone to paypal.

What has that to do with the 54K. The Paypal fee would not have been been reflected in the balance anyway. It gets deducted before the money is credited to your account.

Paypal is a business. What does that have to do with the 54,000?
That's what happens when you receive "donations" through a 3rd party. You pay a fee. It's the American way.

Still don't understand why they used Paypal, instead of a bank. :waitasec:

That's what happens when you receive "donations" through a 3rd party. You pay a fee. It's the American way.

Still don't understand why they used Paypal, instead of a bank. :waitasec:

That's what I'm thinkin'. Wow, I had no idea that Paypal charged fees like that. I'm guessing that if donations continue to come in, they will be directly to the trust accout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa