The truth about Oprah Winfrey & Gayle King ... according to them

I believe them ... I just posted this because I found it to be a weird story in the middle of all the other real news on the web site. :crazy:

PrayersForMaura said:
I believe them ... I just posted this because I found it to be a weird story in the middle of all the other real news on the web site. :crazy:
I always knew if Oprah was a lesbian she would say so. She hasnt lied about anything so far. I dont think people understand that if u are as high profile as her it registers that you spend alot of time with one friend.
Lots of us do almost everything with one friend and if we were abble to offer them trips and jobs in order to be closer to us we would too.
Oprah can afford to practice Nepotism and yet the majority of her family cant be trusted.
She is really an orphan. She has her Dad but everyone wants a sister or brother type friend..I dont think we can even relate to the money Oprah has and its not uncommon to try and surround yourself with someone trustworthy-everyone would want something from Oprah-maybe she can trust Gayle to keep her honest.

OMG. My best friend and I were always joined at the hip. We went everywhere together, we finished each others sentences. It was just like we were married. There were many, many rumors about us being lesbians. We weren't. We just shook our heads and laughed it off.

Sadly, we both got married and drifted apart but I know if I needed her she would be here in minutes.

I don't know why people can't accept close friendships between women and just that and no hanky-panky involved.

Oprah and Gayle are best friends. I think that it is fantastic, and both gals are lucky!!

tennessee said:
OMG. My best friend and I were always joined at the hip. We went everywhere together, we finished each others sentences. It was just like we were married. There were many, many rumors about us being lesbians. We weren't. We just shook our heads and laughed it off.

Sadly, we both got married and drifted apart but I know if I needed her she would be here in minutes.

I don't know why people can't accept close friendships between women and just that and no hanky-panky involved.
exactly-you were not even a public celebrity and people tried to make it out to be something..we live in a culture that divides women in my opinion..many men have best friends for life-they go fishing -hunting yada..and noone suspects anything.
At least until Broke Back Mountain came OUT..lol
I am with u..I dont see anything inappropriate with close girlfriends..its wonderful when it works. They also knew each other from before her fame and I am sure thats comforting.

newtv said:
exactly-you were not even a public celebrity and people tried to make it out to be something..we live in a culture that divides women in my opinion..many men have best friends for life-they go fishing -hunting yada..and noone suspects anything.
At least until Broke Back Mountain came OUT..lol
I am with u..I dont see anything inappropriate with close girlfriends..its wonderful when it works. They also knew each other from before her fame and I am sure thats comforting.

Don't mean to go off topic, but I saw that movie over the weekend. I honestly don't know what all the hoopla was about. I think both guys were JERKS in that movie. I couldn't muster up any sympathy for either of them. :waitasec:

Jeana (DP) said:
Don't mean to go off topic, but I saw that movie over the weekend. I honestly don't know what all the hoopla was about. I think both guys were JERKS in that movie. I couldn't muster up any sympathy for either of them. :waitasec:
Brokeback Mountain is about two uneducated guys with limited prospects who spend most of the cameras time in straight relationships having kids and doing domestic things we all consider pretty dang normal for straight men to do.

They are not successful at relationships. Period.

All the hoopla seemed to relate more to the "cowboy" aspect. IMO

I actually liked it (BBM) more than I thought but its relevant contextually to me..and the hiding of ones sexuality - yada. I know its a very real thing and sometimes in fact thats why the characters involved dont muster up sympathy..It impacted me..I did not think they were ignorant or uneducated..I also dont think they were unsuccessful in relationships anymore than the next person-educated or otherwise..everyone is struggling to find their way..lives and people are complex-its not that black and white-straight or gay to me..

Jeana (DP) said:

Ah, Jeana, say it ain't true! :(

The "hoopla" was partly because the movie seemed to be deconstructing the beloved "cowboy" myth (although neither of the guys is really a cowboy and they meet herding sheep, an activity anethma to cowboys in American mythology).

And partly because the movie portrays the two as romantically - not just sexually - attached to one another. Mainstream American culture has tended to see "gayness" (and often masculinity itself) as merely sexual.

As for the men being jerks, they meet in the early 60s and have no frame of reference to even imagine a life together. Jake Gyllenhaal's character may have different ideas near the end of the film (the 1970s in the story) but the die is long cast by that point. Just like the rest of us, the guys are in part products of their context.

What is brilliant about the screenplay is the way it fleshes out the women so very sympathetically without making monsters of the husbands.

IMHO, of course. And I must admit I had to see the film twice to fully appreciate it.

(And BTW, the short story is equally brilliant in its own way. Annie Proulx is my new idol!)

I thought Brokeback was a good movie. Full of angst, but good acting and beautiful scenery. Probably true to the story; tho I haven't read it. The wives did make it interesting; I have enjoyed Anne Hathaway in every movie I've seen her in, including Prada.

The cowboy setting, as well as the fact that Heath Ledger is a hunk made it charming for me.

I enjoyed That Old Ace in the Hole, tho' I didn't quite enjoy The Shipping News. Maybe I need to reread it.

I thought Jeana had a point.. from a woman's perspective, the guys may have been "jerks" in whatever conventional way she describes "jerk", both were cheating on their wives.

Nova- You have a point as well.
The characters were sympathetic, in that their plight, of being born in a time when it was impossible to be with each other openly was compelling and believeable.

It made the story interesting that they were not "stereotypical" gay men or cowboys. It was unfortunately (and predictably) tragic as most fiction is regarding gays.

The movie was as much about "place" (Wyoming) and how solitude in nature brings out one's true self. One was left wondering why they didn't just travel together and get "cowboy" work along the way. Seemed also as much about the limited choices one has without education and economic opportunities.

As I recall, they met and formed the friendship before they each went on to marry. One wanted a permanent relationship more than the other did. It was more a problem of being gay and trying to fit into a straight, cowboy world than of being a jerk.

Yeah, they cheated, partly because they were conflicted, partly because they were disgruntled with their everyday lives and their marriages, just as heterosexuals cheat.

They seemed to ultimately care for each other; the death brought that home.

Marthatex said:
As I recall, they met and formed the friendship before they each went on to marry. One wanted a permanent relationship more than the other did. It was more a problem of being gay and trying to fit into a straight, cowboy world than of being a jerk.

Yeah, they cheated, partly because they were conflicted, partly because they were disgruntled with their everyday lives and their marriages, just as heterosexuals cheat.

They seemed to ultimately care for each other; the death brought that home.
thats kinda what I was saying..because its a tuff thing to face-and it was for one of them..they dont do what is right-they do what is expected. Then they are put in a place where they cheat..and then there is the whole thing about gays being invisible..how do u cheat if you dont exist? So in those days it was much harder than now and its still not easy with years and years of social change.
They dont so much cheat as they do this thing that they hate themsleves for and they are ashamed of..thats above and beyond breaking their vows..but for a very long time it wasnt considered cheating in alot of peoples eyes..it was seen as perverted.
Affairs have been considered very wrong but not perverted if with another adult.
So its very mixed as to what they would have been perceived as doing.
For example when they were first spotted by the ranch boss..he didnt tjust hink they were doing asomething wrong-he thot they were sicko's-perverted-types..if he has seen the same acts played out with a man and a woman he may have thot it wrong if they were not married..he might have thot the woman a *advertiser censored*- but he would not have thot they were perverted for the act.

I have no problem with them being gay or being in love. I simply don't see why they had to treat their wives (who did absolutely nothing wrong) like crap. Hopefully, these days gay men won't have to hid in "straight" marriages like they did back then, but the cruety was unnecessary.

Jeana (DP) said:
I have no problem with them being gay or being in love. I simply don't see why they had to treat their wives (who did absolutely nothing wrong) like crap. Hopefully, these days gay men won't have to hid in "straight" marriages like they did back then, but the cruety was unnecessary.
I think its a symptom of not being honest about their sexuality and in those days it wasnt easy to be honest about it..its a catch 22.
Some men treated their wives about the same way or worse and were straight-men were not always nice to women when the roles were more traditional..in some ways there is at least a root cause of the meanness..I dont dispute that nooone should be treated badly, but they didnt beat them up..and in many ways it was more that they ignored them which is common when one has a secret life..u just wont let them in and if they had it may have been easier in the long run..many women would rather know the truth then wonder why the man seems to dismiss them outright..
I hear u- and i understand what u mean..

Hopefully, these days gay men won't have to hid in "straight" marriages like they did back then...
Well, it hasn't been but a mere 2 years ago when former New Jersey Governor McGreevey announced, in front of his wife, that he was a "gay American". So men are still hiding behind the veil of a straight marriage, even though I think it's happening less and less. It probably happens in politics more than in every day life.

HeartofTexas said:
Well, it hasn't been but a mere 2 years ago when former New Jersey Governor McGreevey announced, in front of his wife, that he was a "gay American". So men are still hiding behind the veil of a straight marriage, even though I think it's happening less and less. It probably happens in politics more than in every day life.
And in the entertainment and sports industry.

And in the entertainment and sports industry.
How right you are! Perhaps we should expand our circle to include most high profile jobs (excluding decorators and hairdressers, etc.).

Sorry guys, but it's not just the high profile professions. You would be absolutely AMAZED at the amount of gays married to straights. There is a whole sub-culture out there, and it includes people that you wouldn't imagine.

I've posted on here more than once that my last husband turned out to be gay. I turned to an online board called Str8's for strength and support, and there were over 318,000 members at the time. (approx. 10 years ago) Keep in mind that that was just spouses who knew, needed help and support, and found their way to the same board...

The men that he met with were married. Not one of their wives knew.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back