Discussion in 'Elisa Lam' started by bessie, Feb 7, 2013.
Use this thread to discuss EL's Tumbler Posts
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on here because it is the first time I've felt I've had anything worthwhile to contribute. I spent a lot of time looking at the Tumblr account this morning and found quite a few interesting / possibly relevant things.
You can see a lot of her original (not reblogged) Tumblr posts here:
1. It appears she was headed to Santa Cruz to do something with WWOOF, which provides the initial reason for her to be in CA
2. She has been depressed because a couple months ago her boyfriend broke up with her and she seems desperate for friends and possibly desperate for a boyfriend:
3. She wasn't sleeping well and was getting more and more emotional:
4. There is a new guy she is interested in, she doesn't say if he is in CA or elsewhere however she provides some descriptive info about him:
5. The guy she is interested in recently got a tattoo on his left wrist:
6. She posts some odd things that to me indicate she may have had a recent altercation with someone, but the last entry I've linked below could also be interpreted as borderline suicidal:
7. Throughout the Tumblr there is a strong theme of depression and bipolar characteristics. She appears to suffer from hypomania at times and the tag on this entry references sleeping pills, so she may or may not have been using them recently:
8. She mentions in various places that she does not drink and does not do drugs although she can see why people would drink or do drugs as an escape.
One thing that is a bit crazy is that there is another Tumblr linked under the ETC section and when visiting that Tumblr it calls itself "a style supplement to nouvelle-nouveau" So one would assume that Elisa controlled both accounts. However the most recent post on there was only 14 hours ago so clearly this one is either operated by someone else or has been set up with some sort of automated posting program:
I notice that all of the recent posts on Bruitedefond are reblogged from images that were added to the source blog at least 1 month ago. So these fashion posts that are still being added could have all been set up by Elisa about 1 month ago as well.
And all of the recent entries to the nouvelle-nouveau Tumblr were reblogged from other sites with the newest originating from the source blog approximately 3 weeks ago. So theoretically Elisa could have automated all of these approximately 3 weeks ago. Which means she must have been using Tumblr fairly regularly even on her trip to compile all of these postings. That would mean she had a laptop or cellphone, which hopefully police have recovered and could get some info from.
So now that I have linked to all of that, I see a few primary possibilities:
1. Elisa either went to CA to meet with this new guy she was interested in, or he was a new person that she just met while already in CA. This guy could possibly be involved either through intentionally harming her or by accidentally harming her by introducing her to a drug overdose, etc. I would hope the police have a good idea who he is and have already interviewed him.
2. Elisa was so desperate to make more friends that she took risks and went to unsafe clubs, was too friendly with strange people in the building, etc. and this possibly opened her up to being taken advantage of or drugged.
3. She was possibly in a hypomanic state and couldn't sleep so she was exploring the whole building, crawling up the fire escapes, etc. and went into the water tank in this hypomanic state
4. Sadly she seems very depressed in many of her Tumblr entries. I don't think it is impossible to rule out the possibility that she committed suicide and went into the water tank intentionally. However one of her Tumblr posts was telling someone to never commit suicide, so obviously at most times this would clearly be out of the question for her.
I wouldn't rule out that she is sleepwalking in the video footage from the elevator or having some sort of reaction to sleeping pills or alcohol mixed with sleeping pills. However a big question in my mind about the video footage is how did she get to such a high floor in the first place if she was staying on the 4th floor? There should be video footage of her riding up the elevator to get to that higher floor. Maybe there is this footage and it hasn't been released, or maybe the police were never able to locate her on that footage. But if we could see how she reached that 14th or 15th floor (sorry I can't remember which we decided she was on) and if she was alone when riding up the elevator it may shed details as to her state of mind and any companions she may have had on the way up.
Hopefully I didn't break any forum rules by posting all those Tumblr links. If I did, mods please feel free to edit this post to remove the links.
EL used the tag #caliblah for all her blog entires about her trip to California.
EDIT : If you go even further back in her tumblr she used the tag #ontblah for her Ontario trip.
thanks for starting this thread!
i wanted to ask a somewhat random question, but i was afraid to do so in the other threads.
question: who is updating her tumblr?
there are posts as recent as March 2nd.
They are all rebloggs, No original entries.
Tumblr has an option to automatically reblogg stuff you like.
Look at my post up top for her last original entries.
i didn't realize they could be queued to post automatically that far in advance.
This is a real noodle scratcher
Is there a reason the main EL thread was closed?
Too much wild speculation?
Yes, Murakami, to eliminate five or six discussions taking place simultaneously.
I found this blog from a girl that does a really good analysis on EL's tumblr.
Great summary! I, too, have categorized and put into rough timeline her postings (Tumblr/Blogger, mostly.) I wonder if there's a good platform to lay out the timing of her postings, tag certain themes, allow for cross-referencing, etc. Tumblr is such a pain in the rear to filter through.
I read up a bit on hypomania ([ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypomania"]Hypomania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]) and found that some of EL's described behavior may fit into the description of the disorder (take with a grain of salt, as I realize that many actions can be interpreted as some level of mental disorder):
1. inflated self-esteem or grandiosity <- EL's postings on how to make friends (ie: be loud/brash) and also how her big mouth could get her into trouble
2. decreased need for sleep <- EL's trouble sleeping
3. flight of ideas or the subjective experience that thoughts are racing <- EL's posting on hypomania and how it seems that her brain's telling her there's too much to do to sleep
4. easy distractibility and attention-deficit similar to attention deficit hyperactivity disorder <- EL's mentioning of ADHD and her academic troubles (something like 3 classes completed in 3 years)
5. increase in psychomotor agitation <- possible cause of her button pressing and the expressive movements in the hallway in the security video
6. involvement in pleasurable activities that may have a high potential for negative psycho-social or physical consequences (e.g., the person engages in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, reckless driving, or foolish business investments) <- EL's comment about the (I think 50lbs??) of books she bought in Toronto/Ontario and how would she be able to bring them back
Also noted is "While hypomania often generates productivity and creativity, it can become troublesome if the subject engages in risky behaviors."
While I'm not arguing that EL indeed died by suicide or misadventure, the possibility of her mental state does leave that option on the table. Of course, there could also be a combination (as you suggest) of her condition with another person, who could have accidentally (or purposefully) killed her (via drugs, or some other action as bizarre as erotic asphyxiation.)
Respectively snipped by me
What a phenomenal first post Blazer! Welcome and thank you for the knowledge.
One thing that struck me immediately is the statement I snipped above.
In my opinion, and basing a lot of this on my personal and professional knowledge of people and online communications combined with the understanding that she was yearning for friends; I think the drug & alcohol statements are key. Here's what i think is possible:
- She's desperate for friends and doesn't want to alienate anyone who might want to reach out.
- The way she satisfies both straight-edge crowds and party crowds with her drug/booze comments reminds me of something I often read on personal sites. From my experience, after starting a dialogue with folks who make similar statements, I almost always discover that they are into hard drugs (which sucks, especially when you click well with someone but I don't want to date a hard drug users).
- She's curious to try to run with a party crowd and is trying to show she's open minded.
Hastings !! Good to see you here
Hi SB! Good to see you too. Hope you're well. So I guess we both have a thing for cases involving Canadians...
Take the Tumblr posts with a grain of salt. I'm not saying she's being untruth in her posts but as a few real knowledgeable Tumblr users here on this site have pointed out if you judged them by their Tumblr accounts you'd think they were dark moody sad people when it's actually the opposite of what they are in real life. I think unless you know Elisa Lam personally then to guess as to her mental state based on her Tumblr posts doesn't do her justice.
Well said. I agree.
To be honest I would have said the same thing about someone who made a both side's if the coin statement about partying (booze/drugs) regardless of the site they wrote it on.
She wrote that she lost her cell phone on January 27th, a blackberry loaner from a friend. She was communicating with her parents until the 31st.
Original Post -
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8931947&postcount=474"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #3[/ame]
More on her background through Tumblr:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8910682&postcount=968"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013[/ame]
In your opinion do you think that EL's Tumblr page is something she would share with her parents? If not, would her Tumblr page be something that her parents or acquaintances could find if they were to Google her email address (without the @____.com) or Instant Message Screen-name?
Actually she says she lost "a" cellphone nowhere can I find it was a Blackberry she lost that she borrowed from a friend.
"The Speakeasy WAS AWESOME
except I lost a cellphone
Probably traveling with more than one phone, her own phone and one she borrowed for whatever reason