the two 911 calls

they also asked Charles if she needed an ambulance.

I think the dispatcher did ok but her tone wasn't comforting or assuring that police were on the way.

I just saw this. Pretty impressive response time.

Commander defends 911 dispatchers

Any questions about Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus or Michelle Knight were held for the end of the meeting but the information was limited. Commander Sulzer did comment on what he basically called poor reporting by the national media. He criticized them for making up “lies” and presenting it as truth. He also took time to defend the dispatchers who have taken some heat for the way they handled the 911 calls.

"However you perceive that dispatcher, that dispatcher sent that out in 13 seconds. What people don't realize, as he is talking to you he's dispatching that [call]. Our guys got there in about a minute in a half. 5 minutes later we had the suspect in custody.
"

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/cleveland_metro/firsr-community-meeting-in-2nd-district-since-women-found-alive

they also asked Charles if she needed an ambulance.

I think the dispatcher did ok but her tone wasn't comforting or assuring that police were on the way.

I still don't understand the beef with the way the dispatcher handled it. She wasn't syrupy, but I thought her tone was completely professional, rational and not unkind at all. To me she sounded like she was exactly what was needed. What if she had fallen apart, or gotten very excited and distracted? Could have been disastrous.

:twocents:

new findings, dispatcher under scrutiny for saying "f---ing b****." You can listen to it and decide for yourself. The alleged remarks come at the 1:42 mark in the video below. I don't know how to attach the video, but you can find a link to it here:

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/20882

new findings, dispatcher under scrutiny for saying "f---ing b****." You can listen to it and decide for yourself. The alleged remarks come at the 1:42 mark in the video below. I don't know how to attach the video, but you can find a link to it here:

Interesting turn.
I'm really surprised he has not stepped down
My issue with the call was always how he never told her he's staying on the line until help arrives; apparently he does hang up.
He sounds like someone that does not have an empathy gene.

I'd like to hear ALL the 911 calls, including the one where they called back to check if it was a hoax. The demeanor of the operators makes me wonder if there was an earlier call from Ramsey that they did not believe. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

911 operator who took Amanda Berry's call under review

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2013/05/09/911-operator-who-took-amanda-berrys-call-under-review/

bbm snipped from article ==> “While the call-taker complied with policies and procedures which enabled a very fast response by police, we have noted some concerns which will be the focus of our review, including the call-taker’s failure to remain on the line with Ms. Berry until police arrived on scene,” the post, attributed to Cleveland Department of Public Safety director Martin L. Flask, stated.

Let me snip the last paragraph of this article-
“It is difficult to distinguish a calm, professional demeanor from that of someone who is callous or bored,” he remarked. “I felt the dispatcher was generally professional and courteous, but I understand how the behavior might appear rude or disinterested.”

Now we learn what he said when he hung up? "f---ing b****.
What if Amanda had heard that? I wonder how she feels being able to listen to his call?
My opinion- rude and disinterested
So surprised he has not stepped down or offered a public apology.

01:18 Dispatcher: I got, I got that, dear.

For him to call her both "dear" and a "*advertiser censored**ing b****" would be kind of contradictory, don't you think? And I can hear "dear". I don't hear "*advertiser censored**ing b****".

I'd like to hear ALL the 911 calls, including the one where they called back to check if it was a hoax. The demeanor of the operators makes me wonder if there was an earlier call from Ramsey that they did not believe. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

There was no call backs. The police dispatcher was already in radio contact with officers in the area, before she hung up. Amanda Berry's call, Charles Ramsey's call, and police dispatch radio transmissions were all going on simultaneously. Here is the police radio recording. Pay particular attention to 00:21 "I copy, is she still on the line, or did she hang up? She is still on the phone right now". Within 90 seconds after that, police officers were talking to Amanda Berry in person. At 00:50 you can hear Amanda's voice in the background talking to the officers.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er8Iy21VcCM"]Cleveland Police Dispatch Tapes: "We found them, We found them" - YouTube[/ame]

Dispatcher: We're going to send them as soon as we get a car open.

Caller: No, I need them now before he gets back.

Dispatcher: All right; we're sending them, OK?

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/0...fter-escaping-alleged-abductor/#ixzz2TyLDQxXr

It took Amanda saying that she needed the police now, before he gets back for the dispatcher to acknowledge that a car would be sent now. The first response was that they would send the police as soon as a car was open.

There is a person calling in as having been kidnapped and being missing for 10 years and is now free(sure, it might sound like a crank call, but a dispatcher cannot assume that). Instead of dispatch telling the caller that the police are being sent immediately, let me know when they get there, the caller is told to talk with the police when they get there, they will send a car as soon as it is open (which means in how many minutes, hours?) The caller is panic stricken that her jailer will return, and is not being treated as someone who needs immediate help.

If the dispatcher had just sent a car when it was "open", how long would it have taken? Probably longer than 5 minutes. It is possible the dispatcher just did not rank the importance of this particular case properly, and a review will show if the process needs to be rethought.

In an interview somewhere, Ana says they called her back to check. It's quite possible they sent a car but also rang back to check and didn't release that call.

It is quite an unbelievable story so perhaps they did.

The police got there fast, there is no doubt that a car was sent.

The F.. B... Could be in reference to anything. He could have spilt coffee on his keyboard or someone walked by and stole his donut for all we know but it does sound like that's what he said.

01:18 Dispatcher: I got, I got that, dear.

For him to call her both "dear" and a "*advertiser censored**ing b****" would be kind of contradictory, don't you think? And I can hear "dear". I don't hear "*advertiser censored**ing b****".

Called her "dear" then chuckled
He called her "*advertiser censored**ing b****" after he hung up.

It took Amanda saying that she needed the police now, before he gets back for the dispatcher to acknowledge that a car would be sent now. The first response was that they would send the police as soon as a car was open.

There is a person calling in as having been kidnapped and being missing for 10 years and is now free(sure, it might sound like a crank call, but a dispatcher cannot assume that). Instead of dispatch telling the caller that the police are being sent immediately, let me know when they get there, the caller is told to talk with the police when they get there, they will send a car as soon as it is open (which means in how many minutes, hours?) The caller is panic stricken that her jailer will return, and is not being treated as someone who needs immediate help.

If the dispatcher had just sent a car when it was "open", how long would it have taken? Probably longer than 5 minutes. It is possible the dispatcher just did not rank the importance of this particular case properly, and a review will show if the process needs to be rethought.

She said who she was as well as being kidnapped multiple times
He sounded like he couldn't be bothered with her phone call.

at 1:21s I am certain he laughs. We can only guess why – perhaps he felt frustrated he was having to repeat himself. Not acceptable conduct IMO, as an emergency call of this nature is no place for a laugh by the operator.

As far as the final words *advertiser censored*** B**** it's certainly what I hear, but not in the context of abusing Amanda. More like an exclamation of astonishment at what he's just heard. Maybe the penny was just starting to drop and he lost his guard. Maybe this 'excitement' is why he made the error of judgement of hanging up rather than keeping her on the line.

Thats a possibility. She reported that she had been kidnaped, escaped, and was at a safe location. Going on just that information, thats not even a crime in progress. It's a non-emergency situation. They could have told her to stay there, and they would send some detectives out to talk to her. Fortunately they did handle it as an emergency.

What the operator told her is really not important. Police units had already been dispatched, and were responding to that address. As for sending a car when it's open, that was the operator telling her the truth. If there are no cars available, then nobody is going to come. Thats a fact.

Called her "dear" then chuckled
He called her "*advertiser censored**ing b****" after he hung up.

As another poster so well pointed out, that could mean that he spilled coffee on his keyboard, or someone had stolen his donut. I think it is highly debatable that he even said that.

She said who she was as well as being kidnapped multiple times
He sounded like he couldn't be bothered with her phone call.

Or it could mean that he understood that, and didn't need her to repeat it again.

Thats a possibility. She reported that she had been kidnaped, escaped, and was at a safe location. Going on just that information, thats not even a crime in progress. It's a non-emergency situation. They could have told her to stay there, and they would send some detectives out to talk to her. Fortunately they did handle it as an emergency.

What the operator told her is really not important. Police units had already been dispatched, and were responding to that address. As for sending a car when it's open, that was the operator telling her the truth. If there are no cars available, then nobody is going to come. Thats a fact.
You may be right that that is a fact in Cleveland. It is not a fact everywhere. Some places, if there is an emergency and all cars are busy, they pull a car off a non-emergency call. They don't wait for it to be open, or finished with the current call (people get out of tickets that way around here). And since the police units did not seem to be dispatched until after Amanda said she needed them now, before he came back, that could be a reason for a review. Review doesn't mean anyone did something wrong, specifically, but to see if there might have been a better way.

BTW, I think what the dispatcher says is very important. Otherwise, they wouldn't bother training them.

And since the police units did not seem to be dispatched until after Amanda said she needed them now,

Again from the police dispatch tapes: "She is still on the phone right now".

That right there is proof that they were already on the way, while Amanda Berry was still on the phone, and they arrived a minute and a half later. Amanda Berry's voice can be heard in the background of the next transmission.

It sounds like the 2 operators input the location; another person took the info & radioed
Law enforcement saw or heard the name Berry & split to the location.
We do not know if a car was available.

Very emotional hearing the last tape.

http://www.examiner.com/article/911-operator-goes-into-hiding-after-calling-amanda-berry-filthy-name

The 911 operator in the Cleveland kidnapping case has gone into hiding ... news of the dispatcher calling Berry the expletives has people demanding that he be fired. The operator's name is not being revealed, as the city of Cleveland is doing what can be done to protect the person from various threats. However, it's been indicated that members of the media are aware of this person's identity and whereabouts, because it's reported that he has refused to answer his phone and home door.

I just heard the 911 call from Amanda Berry for the first time the other night and I must say I thought that person was rude. He does deserve to be fired. He might have thought this was a prank, but in the line of work he is in, he must take everything seriously, until proved otherwise. I haven't heard where he calls her a *advertiser censored*. I watched the show on the ID channel about the escape. If he really called her that, then he needs to be gone ASAP. You can tell in her voice how frightened she is.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu
Back