Things that are Plaguing Me

I dunno HOTYH.

the RN is cred scenario?....if the note was credible, then I do believe most parents would have awakened their other child and asked sooooo many questions.
And given that one child was 'kidnapped' wouldn't you keep the other child within arms reach. Even though BR is incapable of writing the note wouldn't a parent entertain the thought that BR may have somehow been coherced or perhaps knew of a sectret?

Same thing ... if the ransom note would have been viewed as a fraud .... wouldn't BR be the first direction you looked for info?

but for sure ... if the dead child was laying around somewhere, and the body could be discovered ... then you wouln't want your 10 year old boy there for that kind of discovery.

Yeah, to me that ransom note is the piece OF the piece of the missing
puzzle.
If the note itself was proven legitimate or not, one way or another it would
paint a clearer picture of what happened there.
Although, at the same time other questions would have to be brought
into play as well, since there is so much conflicting evidence.

This case has always appeared very confusing to try and unravel to
me straight from the beginning.
When I first started researching the case, I believed it was an intruder.
Then, the Ramsey's.
Back and forth it went.
I seem to be glued to the IDI fence now, but I got there by being
very objective, and open minded.
That's the main reason I haven't posted my ransom note analysis yet.
I want it to be true to what I believe can be found by analysing it,
but every day it seems I come up with a different conclusion.

Even though I'm only 17, the Ramsey case to me is definately one
that presents a very unique challenge in demystifying.
Circumstancial evidence really is a tricky thing, as it may point toward one thing, but if you shift your point of view a little, it might point in an equally
uncompromising manner to something entirely different.
Maybe the key to solving this case is not trying so hard to
make sense of it forwards, but backwords, so that everything
forwards might seem a little clearer.
I've heard there are fifty who can reason synthetically for one who can
reason analytically.

Just a thought.

Connor

We've been talking alot about what we would do in their situation so I've been thinking about that and this is what I came up with.....I have had a child wonder off and I was crazy scared when this happened so I've tried to throw a RN into that day. First of all, the fact that they searched the house(they say) even though they had a RN telling them that JBR was gone doesn't bother me because I know myself well enough to know that if I woke up and found a RN and my child missing,I would still look EVERYWHERE because I wouldn't want to believe it.That's just me. Besides the fact that I would want BR glued to my side if I just found this note and his sister missing,I would have 100 questions for him knowing that the missing child often slept in his room.

I can think of only one reason for them to leave BR sleeping and then call everyone and their dog over to their house when in doing so they are disobeying the RN. They had no questions for BR nor did they feel the need to search his room. They knew that he was safe in his bed and that there was no need to question him or search his room because they knew exactly where his little sister was.

Also,I wanted to touch on the way the R's acted when everyone got to their house.It's been said here several times that a parent wouldn't be able to sit down,this is the absolute truth. When I couldn't find my son I was getting really desperate, even looking in the junk drawer in the kitchen. Could he fit in there? Of course not,but I was desperate,I was looking in every nook and cranny in my house.We did find my son and he was scared but unharmed.I have to say that when he was found the officer kept telling me to calm down and SIT DOWN. Even though he was safe I was still running around. PR parked in the sun room tells me that she was parked there because she knew where her daughter was and was just hang'n out waiting for LE to find her.

Lingering questions:

If there was a 'staged' crime scene in the basement, then why didn't anyone even notice it? Wasn't JR the third person to go down there? Right away, the 'staged' crime scene idea contradicts itself by being too obscure, too 'unstaged' to be 'staged'.

ShesElectric points out that there is no good reason for JR to carry JBR away from the staging. I will second that one, because JR would add even more fiber, hair, or even DNA evidence of his own on the tape, blanket, cord, etc. Every iota of evidence on JBR has been discussed, and any more evidence on JBR would require explanation. Lets face it, nobody wants their DNA or fibers mixed in with a capital crime scene. They become more incriminating depending on where they are found. The 'contamination' argument only goes so far to explain fibers or DNA. It would've been safer for a guilty JR to leave JBR in the basement, in the scene they presumably 'staged'. JR did not have to handle JBR. What sense does it make for JR to tear off the tape, move JBR, fight with the cord, etc. if he's guilty?

======================

Why criminalize the scene in the first place? And not just any crime, but a capital crime. Why not call it an accident? Certainly her head injury was enough to kill her. The RN, the kidnapping 911 call, the cord, and the tape would all be unnecessary. According to RDI, not only did the R's invite their friends over, they also willingly invited the FBI when they decided to call 911 and report a kidnapping. Why didn't they instead call 911 claiming their daughter fell down the stairs? That would be far safer than willingly putting pen to paper, willingly inviting the FBI over to check out a capital crime scene that they willingly staged, doncha think? Its too self-defeating to be plausible.

..oh yea,JR had a reason to handle the body,alright;the comments beneath it are from websleuthers;I think Bluecrab and UKguy in particular.notice there is no wiggle room.and for those who don't know..police can lie during questioning,attorneys (Levin) cannot.so you can bet that what he says is the truth.

During the 2000 interviews in Atlanta, Bruce Levin addressed Patsy Ramsey and Lin Wood:

"There are black fibers that according to our testing that was conducted, that match one of the two shirts provided to us by the Ramseys. Black shirt -- those fibers are located in the underpants of JonBenet Ramsey. They're found in the crotch area."

Lin Wood wouldn't let Patsy respond. Later in the interview with John Ramsey the black fibers in the crotch of JonBenet's panties matching his black shirt was brought up again and John Ramsey replies:

21 Q. (By Mr. Levin) Mr. Ramsey, it is
22 our belief based on forensic evidence that
23 there are hairs that are associated, that the
24 source is the collared black shirt that you
25 sent us that are found in your daughter's
1 underpants,
and I wondered if you --
A. Bull****. I don't believe that.
3 I don't buy it. If you are trying to
4 disgrace my relationship with my daughter --
5 Q. Mr. Ramsey, I am not trying to
6 disgrace --
7 A. Well, I don't believe it. I
8 think you are. That's disgusting.
9 MR. WOOD: I think you --
10 MR. LEVIN: I am not.
11 MR. WOOD: Yes, you are.
12 MR. LEVIN: And the follow-up
13 question would be --
14 MR. WOOD: Posing the question in
15 light of what I said to you yesterday is
16 nothing more than an attempt to make a
17 record that unfairly, unjustly, and in a
18 disgusting fashion points what you might
19 consider to be some finger of blame at this
20 man regarding his daughter, and you ought to
21 be ashamed of yourself for doing it, Bruce.
22 You knew we weren't going to
23 answer the question. Why don't you just
24 give us the report, and we'll put it out
25 there for someone to look at and tell us
1 what it says and see how fair and accurate
2 you have been.
3 I know why you said what you said
4 yesterday about Patsy and the fibers and John
5 and the fibers. And you know why you did
6 it, Bruce. Because you want this somehow to
7 get out and then people will read that and
8 be prejudiced even further against this
9 family.
10 I just don't know why you want to
11 do it, but I can't stop you.
12 MR. LEVIN: Mr. Wood, if you
13 would like to, I would challenge you to find
14 any article anywhere that I have been quoted
15 as giving an opinion or any statement to the
16 press concerning this case.
17 MR. WOOD: You don't have to be
18 quoted. You don't have to be quoted.
19 MR. LEVIN: Or any piece of
20 evidence that I have released.
21 MR. WOOD: You don't have to be
22 quoted. You do not have to be quoted.
23 MR. LEVIN: This is a murder
24 investigation, and I am trying to get an
25 explanation, which can be an innocent
1 explanation.
2 MR. WOOD: It could be, but you
3 pose your question as if it's not.
4 That's what's unfair. Why don't you let us
5 see the report so we can know exactly what's
6 going on, exactly what other fibers were
7 found in that area so that you don't
8 unfairly cast an aspersion through innuendo
9 or suggestion toward this man and his
10 daughter.
11 It seems to me that you should
12 look over and go look, Mr. Wood, we want
13 your client's help, we will give you the
14 test results if it will help get this
15 answered, if it is so important, we'll tell
16 you whether there was another fiber or fibers
17 found that we doen't know where they came
18 from and maybe he can help you with that
19 information, but that is not what you are
20 doing. You are focusing on what you believe
21 is one specific area. And you are doing it
22 in a way that I think is just unfair.
23 Let me just answer your question
24 about you being quoted. Look, John and
25 Patsy Ramsey sat around for three years and
1 did not go public with this case, even
2 though your people were talking to tabloids
3 and writing books and appearing on
4 television. Linda Arndt, Steve Thomas, Alex
5 Hunter.
6 You want to go through the litany
7 of how your people have publicly prosecuted
8 and persecuted this family, and now they
9 decided enough is enough and they tried to
10 go out with me, yes, sir, and them and try
11 to refute some of the absolute lies that
12 have been told about them. Do you have a
13 problem with that?
14 MR. LEVIN: Mr. Wood.
15 MR. WOOD: Because your people
16 have been saying it. I am not calling your
17 name. I don't know who it is linked to.
18 I don't know who gave the ransom note to
19 Vanity Fair. I'm not suggesting it is you.
20 But don't sit here and tell me that because
21 Bruce Levin hasn't been quoted that this
22 investigation from the Boulder Police
23 Department and the district attorney's office
24 is a lily white when it comes to talking
25 about this case in the media because that is
1 false, and you know it.
2 MR. LEVIN: Now, Mr. Wood, if I
3 can just respond very briefly, and I want
4 Mr. Ramsey listen to this because it's
5 important, the suggestion is that I am
6 suggesting that the only explanation for that
7 question is sinister. I am a part of a
8 team conducting an investigation into your
9 daughter's death, and an innocent explanation
10 that would help us further that investigation
11 is very welcome. I am not looking for a
12 sinister answer or innocent answer.

13 MR. WOOD: If you are looking for
14 that, then give us the test result and let
15 us know what it says.
16 MR. LEVIN: Mr. Wood, the fact
17 of --
18 MR. WOOD: No, Bruce. If you
19 wanted the answer so badly, you would give
20 us the test result instead of representing
21 what the test result is. I, for the life
22 of me, do not understand the logic.
23 You say we can tell you what the
24 test result is, but we can't show you the
25 test result. So trust us, Mr. Ramsey, and
1 answer this hypothetical question.
2 If that information means that
3 much to this investigation, Bruce, you would
4 not hesitate to give us that report, period.
5 So let's move to something else.
6 MR. LEVIN: Let's move on to
7 another topic.
8 THE WITNESS: If the question is
9 how did fibers of your shirt get into your
10 daughter's underwear, I say that is not
11 possible. I don't believe it. That is
12 ridiculous.
13 THE VIDEOGRAPHER: I need to
14 change the audio cassette. It will take
15 just one moment.

Sorry John, but it's NOT impossible, and it's NOT ridiculous. It's a fact. The police say they have evidence that fibers from your black shirt you wore to the White's dinner party that night were found in the crotch area of JonBenet's panties.

Your denial and Lin Wood's fillibuster does not change that fact.

If you accept JR's shirt fibers as primae facia evidence, then PR's should also be included. This places both of them at a crime-scene.Since I consider the wine-cellar to be wholly a staged event, I would consider JR and PR as prime suspect stagers!

he did not say, or even allege: I did not have a sexual relationship with my daughter.

Bruce Levin, while interrogating Patsy, said the black fibers from John's shirt MATCHED the fibers found in the crotch of JonBenet panties.That's a rather strong comment coming from an attorney who should know the difference between fibers that MATCH and fibers that are merely CONSISTENT WITH fibers found at a crime scene.

Crime scene fibers are seldom found to be a match to a suspect's clothing. "Match" means there's no wiggle room. IOW, it's a scientific fact. "Consistent with" means maybe or even probably, but there's some wiggle room left.

why could John not offer up an innocent explanation,such as,I helped JonBenet in the bathroom that evening?
Instead,he just immediately goes on the defense,trying to smear the questioner and the questions.when there is nothing else...

Patsy had reason to throw herself on the body as well:

MR. LEVIN: I can state to you,
8 Mr. Wood, that, given the current state of
9 the scientific examination of fibers, that,
10 based on the state of the art technology,
11 that I believe, based on testing, that fibers
12 from your client's coat are in the paint
13 tray.

14 MR. WOOD

MR. LEVIN: I think that is
4 probably fair. Based on the state of the
5 art scientific testing, we believe that fibers
6 from her jacket were found in the paint
7 tray, were found tied into the ligature found
8 on JonBenet's neck, were found on the blanket
9 that she is wrapped in, were found on the
10 duct tape that is found on the mouth,
and
11 the question is, can she explain to us how
12 those fibers appeared in those places that
13 are associated with her daughter's death.
14 And I understand you are not going to answer
15 those.

..there's a lot of sidestepping the questions,to just downright not answering them.Not to mention,John just immediately going on the defense.

Lingering questions:

I'm always glad to take your questions, Holdon.

If there was a 'staged' crime scene in the basement, then why didn't anyone even notice it?

I think it would help if you knew what to look for.

{QUOTE]Wasn't JR the third person to go down there? Right away, the 'staged' crime scene idea contradicts itself by being too obscure, too 'unstaged' to be 'staged'.[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? The whole point at first, I believe, was for him not to find it. He was shining Fleet White on the whole time. Indeed, as I told ShesElectric, when the police did not find it, John had no real choice. He was probably thinking "Oh, God, I should have done such-and-such." Like I've said before, we're not talking crime scene experts trying to pull off this flim-flam. And he didn't waste time that second trip, did he? In truth, as Plan Bs go, it wasn't that bad. He's got Fleet White to say he handled the body. He's got witnesses upstairs to say he and Patsy contaminated the crime scene. Crazy like a fox.

ShesElectric points out that there is no good reason for JR to carry JBR away from the staging. I will second that one, because JR would add even more fiber, hair, or even DNA evidence of his own on the tape, blanket, cord, etc.

Yes, and as I explained to ShesElectric, that's an excellent way to explain any of the things you just mentioned. I really don't know what he thinks about it. He's never told me, other than to say I was smart.

Let me ask you folks something: have you ever left anything somewhere and not thought of it until later on? That's what I mean.

Every iota of evidence on JBR has been discussed, and any more evidence on JBR would require explanation. Lets face it, nobody wants their DNA or fibers mixed in with a capital crime scene. They become more incriminating depending on where they are found. The 'contamination' argument only goes so far to explain fibers or DNA. It would've been safer for a guilty JR to leave JBR in the basement, in the scene they presumably 'staged'.

Holdon, as is often the case, you make some good points. And I don't doubt that the police asked themselves these questions many times. As have I. What you say is true, in conventional cases. Nobody DOES want their DNA or fibers at a crime scene. BUT, and this is the part you seem to be overlooking, if you had a doubt in your mind as to how careful you were, if you started worrying as to whether or not you had left something crucial behind, wouldn't it then make the most sense to purposely contaminate the crime scene in front of witnesses and in a way that would appear innocent and natural on the face of it?

Holdon, you sometimes accuse the RDI side of whipping up explanations out of thin air with no real reasoning behind it. Well, I can assure you that I did not simply "whip" this explanation out of thin air. I thought about it for a long time.

Would it have been safer to just leave her in the basement? I'm sure that was the intent at first. But think about it: the police search and don't find it. They're almost ready to give up and search elsewhere. Okay, let's try this:

The police leave. They didn't find the body. What are you supposed to do with it NOW? If everyone leaves the house, then you call and say you've found her, that looks pretty bad. You can't pack her in the car and dump her, because the cops will most likely be monitoring you, if for no other reason than to find out if the "kidnappers" have contacted you. That doesn't sound very safe to me. It's not like they had a heck of a lot of options.

JR did not have to handle JBR.

That's easy to say. Who knows what he "had to do" in his mind?

What sense does it make for JR to tear off the tape, move JBR, fight with the cord, etc. if he's guilty?

I hope I've done my best to answer that question. And do you know what the really gut-wrenching part is? It makes sense to me.

Why criminalize the scene in the first place? And not just any crime, but a capital crime. Why not call it an accident? Certainly her head injury was enough to kill her. The RN, the kidnapping 911 call, the cord, and the tape would all be unnecessary.

Why does anyone do anything, Holdon? That's not a cop-out, that's an honest question. Moreover, follow me on this. Michael Kane apparently asked himself these questions, and reminded us that "it was a very theatrical production and Patsy [was] a very theatrical person. She loves being known as the mother of a dead beauty queen." Now, I thought about that for a while, and I added a number of factors: the child pageants, Patsy's relationship with her own mother, the whole ball of wax. And I expanded on what Kane said. This is what I came up with:

a child beauty queen, so destined for greatness killed in a common, garden-variety, run-of-the-mill, humdrum domestic incident? That would NEVER do! She was so spectacular in life. She HAD to be spectacular in death. Nothing but the best (or worst, depending on how you see it) for JonBenet. And she IS spectacular in death! Her death made her more well-known to more people than all of her performances put together.

Also, I think one should remember that it wasn't even necessarily the police and FBI that the stager(s) was/were trying to fool.

According to RDI, not only did the R's invite their friends over, they also willingly invited the FBI when they decided to call 911 and report a kidnapping. Why didn't they instead call 911 claiming their daughter fell down the stairs?

That's what they ALL say, Holdon.

That would be far safer than willingly putting pen to paper, willingly inviting the FBI over to check out a capital crime scene that they willingly staged, doncha think?

Safer? Maybe. But how clearly do you think they were thinking, anyway?

Its too self-defeating to be plausible.

That's really easy to say, Holdon, sitting at a computer thinking perfectly logically and calmly. But you're not really putting yourself in the killer's shoes. We're NOT talking about someone who would have been thinking perfectly logically and calmly. That's the key.

Indeed, as I told ShesElectric,when the police did not find it, John had no real choice. He was probably thinking "Oh, God, I should have done such-and-such."
------------
Would it have been safer to just leave her in the basement? I'm sure that was the intent at first. But think about it: the police search and don't find it. They're almost ready to give up and search elsewhere. Okay, let's try this:
------------
The police leave. They didn't find the body. What are you supposed to do with it NOW? If everyone leaves the house, then you call and say you've found her, that looks pretty bad. You can't pack her in the car and dump her, because the cops will most likely be monitoring you, if for no other reason than to find out if the "kidnappers" have contacted you. That doesn't sound very safe to me. It's not like they had a heck of a lot of options.

These ideas seem to be based on the premise that JR's original intention was to stage a capital murder by an intruder in the basement, and leave it to be discovered by LE.

The fact that LE + FW failed to recognize anything unusual in the basement pretty much discounts the premise.

Holdon- JR may have been the third person in the basement that morning (Officer French, then FW were first. JR didn't know about FW having gone there earlier) BUT he was the FIRST one to see the body.
Neither Officer French (who couldn't even open the wineceller door) or FW (who did open it but coudn't find the light switch) saw the body.

I'd be interested in knowing if the model that Burke was assembling with JR on xmas night before going to bed, is in the warehouse full of evidence and how far it had been assembled , painted even?

I'm guessing that most likely,Aunt Pam retrieved all of Burke's Christmas gifts.So the R's were free to say anything they wanted to about it.I don't know for sure,just guessing,seeing as they made such an issue about his nintendo(even taking it to the White's that morning),and how he was always playing it.

We've been talking alot about what we would do in their situation so I've been thinking about that and this is what I came up with.....I have had a child wonder off and I was crazy scared when this happened so I've tried to throw a RN into that day. First of all, the fact that they searched the house(they say) even though they had a RN telling them that JBR was gone doesn't bother me because I know myself well enough to know that if I woke up and found a RN and my child missing,I would still look EVERYWHERE because I wouldn't want to believe it.That's just me. Besides the fact that I would want BR glued to my side if I just found this note and his sister missing,I would have 100 questions for him knowing that the missing child often slept in his room.

I can think of only one reason for them to leave BR sleeping and then call everyone and their dog over to their house when in doing so they are disobeying the RN. They had no questions for BR nor did they feel the need to search his room. They knew that he was safe in his bed and that there was no need to question him or search his room because they knew exactly where his little sister was.

Also,I wanted to touch on the way the R's acted when everyone got to their house.It's been said here several times that a parent wouldn't be able to sit down,this is the absolute truth. When I couldn't find my son I was getting really desperate, even looking in the junk drawer in the kitchen. Could he fit in there? Of course not,but I was desperate,I was looking in every nook and cranny in my house.We did find my son and he was scared but unharmed.I have to say that when he was found the officer kept telling me to calm down and SIT DOWN. Even though he was safe I was still running around. PR parked in the sun room tells me that she was parked there because she knew where her daughter was and was just hang'n out waiting for LE to find her.
for sure,nobody would just go and sit down in that situation.Most likely the parents would have totally collapsed from exhaustion before voluntarily sitting.There is just way too much adrenaline going.Pacing,hyperventilating,tearing rooms apart looking for clues...these are all normal reactions,and Marc Klass noticed as well that their behavior was just not at all what it should have been.The flimsy excuse that everyone acts differently is just not even in the realm of reality in this case.
If JB had truly been taken,the R's would have been running around frantic,stopping only long enough to decide what to do..and IF they did call LE,they'd be right back to flying around that house,stopping only long enough to do so.And it would have been John who made the call,on a cell at that,not Patsy the actress on their land line.
And IF Patsy had really thought the housekeeper might have taken her,then why not give her a call???? They didn't,because they knew that was not the case.

I agree JMO, 100%. If PR really thought that this woman was so evil that she could have taken her daughter,why was she allowing this woman to work for her? Also,I was reading a bit from the R's book and loved the way PR described the Whites dinner party in great detail,yet during questioning about the party,she couldn't even remember if it was a sit down dinner or not!! They both seem to have selective amnesia.:waitasec:

These ideas seem to be based on the premise that JR's original intention was to stage a capital murder by an intruder in the basement, and leave it to be discovered by LE.

I believe that was the original intention. It's not like there were many other options.

The fact that LE + FW failed to recognize anything unusual in the basement pretty much discounts the premise.

I do not see how you can say that. Neither Officer French (who regrets his inaction to this day, I'm sure) nor Fleet White knew what to look for. It's not like JR could have left a trail of breadcrumbs, now could he?

I strongly believe that when neither man found the body, it was time for Plan B.

I agree JMO, 100%. If PR really thought that this woman was so evil that she could have taken her daughter,why was she allowing this woman to work for her? Also,I was reading a bit from the R's book and loved the way PR described the Whites dinner party in great detail,yet during questioning about the party,she couldn't even remember if it was a sit down dinner or not!! They both seem to have selective amnesia.:waitasec:

Interesting, isn't it?

I believe that was the original intention. It's not like there were many other options.

I do not see how you can say that. Neither Officer French (who regrets his inaction to this day, I'm sure) nor Fleet White knew what to look for. It's not like JR could have left a trail of breadcrumbs, now could he?

I strongly believe that when neither man found the body, it was time for Plan B.

The premise for Plan B is that JR realized Plan A didn't work, so he implemented Plan B because JR realized 'it was time'.

This is also discounted, as LE actually asked JR to search the house once again, and it was at that time that JR carried JBR upstairs.

Do you think JR thought of plan B before or after LE asked him to look around again?

The premise for Plan B is that JR realized Plan A didn't work, so he implemented Plan B because JR realized 'it was time'.

To be fair, I am simplifying it to essentials. I'm sure it was more nuanced than that.

This is also discounted, as LE actually asked JR to search the house once again, and it was at that time that JR carried JBR upstairs.

How can it be discounted? Just because they asked him doesn't mean his mind wasn't on it.

Do you think JR thought of plan B before or after LE asked him to look around again?

I would have to say a little of the first and a lot of the second. He was probably going over the options in his mind, and when they asked him to look again, he saw an opportunity and went for it.

To be fair, I am simplifying it to essentials. I'm sure it was more nuanced than that.

How can it be discounted? Just because they asked him doesn't mean his mind wasn't on it.

I would have to say a little of the first and a lot of the second. He was probably going over the options in his mind, and when they asked him to look again, he saw an opportunity and went for it.

If JR staged a murder in the basement, he would've wanted LE to go there to see it. It would make no sense for him to stage the basement and then remove JBR from it as an afterthought. He wouldn't move her for fear of changing the staged forensic evidence. He would've called LE to the basement instead of handling JBR. There's no advantage and no need to move her away from the staged crime scene.

Of course, the most obvious scenario is this: LA became suspicious when no phone call came, and so LA asked JR to look around the house again. He did so, and went for more obscure places where he hadn't already gone. He found JBR and made an attempt to revive her, like any parent would. The events are very consistent with this scenario.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back