Tiger kills man at San Francisco Zoo (Part 3)

It's going to be interesting to hear what any possible past employees of the zoo have to say about safety if this ever gets to court without being settled. There's got to be some out there who tried to report safety problems and were ignored.

Floh, none of these 'boys' are married, most live at home or in a dorm at their parents' expense, they work at minimum wage jobs, and the ones under 21 can't buy a drink. Socially, they are definitely not men! Yet most are well-educated or getting to be, poised, worldly, competent and street-wise. Right now, there are a bunch of males in our library, playing video games, drinking Red Bull, breaking wind, laughing and insulting each other...No one would ever look into that room and say, There are 10 men in your library, Morag.

And I have worked for changes in the laws that permit those under 18 to be tried as adults. It sickens me to see the ill-treatment that juveniles are subjected to when they run afoul of the law, particularly when the juveniles have never been properly cared for by their parents.

I think that young people in America do grow up more slowly than some in other countries. In many ways, adult life in the US is harder than it is in the EU. Health care is not guaranteed, university is very expensive and must be financed privately, and the work days and work years are longer for American workers. I never got more than 3 weeks vacation when I was working, and that was only after 20 years.

So we do tend to allow our kids to have a longer period to be care-free and marginally irresponsible. You're only young once, and we are happy to see our son enjoying his youth and his youthfulness. He was mature enough at 18 to lead a party of his friends on a 2 month Eurail adventure last summer, and he handles his considerable freedom in a responsible way. But would anyone (except a cop) consider him to be a man? No.

Great post, Morag!

No - the Judge granted the search warrant and said the police could get the stuff and look. The Judge will make a ruling Friday as to whether the zoo and city attorneys also have a right to cell phone contents, etc...

Two different judges- the first one in S.F., the ruling Friday is the Santa Clara judge, different judicial districts. Santa Clara is much closer to San Jose, about an hour away from S.F.

OTT of this zoo.
This is what happens when ppl jump the fences and try and pet animals at Brookfield zoo.
Good read..

http://jeaun.com/archives/jeaun/archives/000420.html

BWAHAHAHA! I just found this part of the article hilarious for some reason:
"In 1969, a group of polar bears escaped from their pen across a flooded moat and headed straight for a nearby marshmallow stand. The bears were quickly rounded up and returned to their enclosure."

"In 1969, a group of polar bears escaped from their pen across a flooded moat and headed straight for a nearby marshmallow stand. The bears were quickly rounded up and returned to their enclosure."

That's very very funny!!!

No - the Judge granted the search warrant and said the police could get the stuff and look. The Judge will make a ruling Friday as to whether the zoo and city attorneys also have a right to cell phone contents, etc...

Thank you! Somehow I had missed Jilly's first link. I was trying to make sense of a situation with only part of the information!

Ya tha tis too funny... As you read Brookfield Zoo takes action right away..
I once looked into working there, but the work schedule(had 3 more kids at the time) wouldn't work for me. 9 days on then 2 days off.

http://jeaun.com/archives/jeaun/archives/000420.html

Judge hears zoo arguments
ORDER SOUGHT TO INSPECT VICTIMS' PROPERTY

Like others following the fatal tiger mauling story, Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Socrates Manoukian wondered Wednesday morning whether San Francisco police had really obtained a warrant to search the cell phones and car belonging to brothers injured in the attack. Even lawyers from the San Francisco city attorney's office appearing before Manoukian didn't know if a warrant had been issued. It turned out that the cops had indeed obtained a warrant.

In fact, at that very moment they may have been examining the evidence belonging to San Jose residents Kulbir and Paul Dhaliwal, whom San Francisco and zoo officials suspect taunted the 250-pound Siberian tiger that killed their 17-year-old friend Carlos Sousa Jr. and injured them. Sgt. Neville Gittens said officers were combing through the phones' data and car searching for evidence in their criminal investigation into what happened shortly before the attack. Police wouldn't say what kind of data they might have extracted from the phones or found in the car. Police have not disclosed what probable cause they presented to San Francisco Superior Court Judge Richard Kramer, who issued the warrant. It was yet another day of twists in the tiger mauling case.

Attorneys for San Francisco and the zoological society - partners in the zoo - were in court in San Jose to ask Manoukian for an order allowing them to also inspect the Dhaliwals' property. They hope to find evidence of taunting that might reduce damages in an expected civil lawsuit filed by the Dhaliwal and Sousa families. It was an unusual legal maneuver, one that appeared to fascinate Manoukian - known for sometimes wearing three-piece suits with a watch fob under his robes.

At one point, when San Francisco Deputy City Attorney Sean Connolly told the judge he would try to be brief, Manoukian encouraged him to talk as long as he wished. "This type of case doesn't come up very often," Manoukian said. "Maybe I've seen something like this in two or three cases. But nothing quite like this. Take your time. First-time cases are interesting." Manoukian hinted at the polar opposite directions he may take in deciding the issue. During an hour-long hearing, the judge said he may want to inspect the phones and car himself, and seal the evidence until it's relevant - such as if San Francisco and the zoo are sued.

http://www.mercurynews.com/localnewsheadlines/ci_7995429

New evidence suggests SF Zoo tiger provoked:

A source involved in the investigation told KCBS a significant amount of blood was found on an exhibit sign inside the tiger enclosure, a foot and a half from the public railing. The blood on the sign indicates someone may have climbed the railing and was attacked while standing in the planted area between the moat and the railing.

http://cbs5.com/local/zoo.tiger.evidence.2.631882.html

A source involved in the investigation told KCBS a significant amount of blood was found on an exhibit sign inside the tiger enclosure, a foot and a half from the public railing. The blood on the sign indicates someone may have climbed the railing and was attacked while standing in the planted area between the moat and the railing.

I hope they are able to get DNA from the blood and link these two little to being where they weren't supossed to.
:mad:

Thanks jilly; that's Tatiana speaking from her grave. I'm betting they find drugs in the car. I am thinking the hoods had planned on this before they ever went to the zoo. Why would three thugs have any reason to go to the zoo on any day. let alone Christmas, when everyone else is spending time with their family. They are animals, and they don't care about, or appreciate anything about the animals at the zoo. I wouldn't have been at all surprised if drugs were found in Tatianas system. These are the kinds of thugs who would do something like that.

If this is true, it is of course interesting and should be examined. Yet the source that gives out this information is a Zoo source and LE won't comment on such information. I would like to hear from LE.

If this is true, it is of course interesting and should be examined. Yet the source that gives out this information is a Zoo source and LE won't comment on such information. I would like to hear from LE.
Doubting scm.......I'll wait for the DNA, but I am inwardly hoping that the leak is true.

Pharlap, you have hit the nail on the head. Just think of how many of the tragedies we discuss would never have occurred without alcohol and drug use.

Drinking, left bar with virtual strangers: Natalie Holloway, Imette St Guillen, Stepha Henry.

Drinking heavily, fell/jumped/pushed off cruise ship deck: George Smith.

Alcohol in car, accident on snowy road: Maura Murray.

Drinking wine with friends, left babies alone: McCanns.

Insane lifestyles, centered around drink and drugs: Britney, Lindsay, Anna Nicole.

Our young people are well-educated about stranger danger, excessive drinking, drinking while driving, taking drugs, neglecting children...but they do it, sometimes to their own fatal peril, or to that of their kids. People imbibe, sometimes to excess, regardless of how carefully they've been taught.
*snip*
Morag, this is a wonderful post! Well said my friend!:clap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500