AMBER ALERT TN - Autistic teen Sebastian Wayne Drake Rogers, 15, missing in Hendersonville - Feb 27, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 29, 2024 article - still searching

[…]

Officials confirmed Tuesday that he is autistic and resources from across the state have poured in to aid in the ongoing search effort.

Weidner said personnel is leaning on past experiences with missing children in which many children are found within 10 miles of their homes.

[…]

Lots of things I want to know. Who was home Sunday night/Monday morning? Mom, stepdad and younger step-sibling? Was he grounded from phone or did he leave it on purpose? They said none of his shoes were missing (at the press conference) but they would not say he was barefoot. Did he take his backpack? Did ANY camera pick him up in his neighborhood? It sounds like the dogs followed his scent a short distance, what direction was that (toward the main road or toward the woods)? At this point I no longer feel like he is choosing to be missing and that is so scary (is he lost in the woods, was he groomed and taken, was he happened to be picked up by a nefarious person?).
Apparently still no camera has picked up Sebastian. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:

"There have been no investigative leads to take us anywhere. We are still operating under the assumption that Sebastian walked off from his home," [Sumner County Sheriff Chief Deputy] said during Thursday’s televised news conference.

Note: Thursday, February 29, 2024.

Jessica Moore, executive director of Autism Tennessee, spoke to NewsChannel 5about how the abrupt change could have a negative impact on how Rogers is feeling.

"Someone who is used to routine, who has a daily schedule, different aspects of their lives that are repetitive every day, it can be stressful not to have those pieces in place,” she told the outlet.

"Someone who enjoys a lot of pressure, deep pressure, and hiding — those more confined spaces are calming.”

"Understandably, there is interest in hearing from friends and family to help provide more of a personal context about Sebastian. However, we have been requested by the family to let local media know that they are not in a position to speak to or be available to the media at this time," the statement said.

"Pray for the family and also pray for first responders," he said during a vigil held at Gallatin's Northfield Church. "And as the temperatures drop and as the days go on, this is the time we have to lean on our faith, and we have to stand steadfast in God's word, and believe He has Sebastian in his hands right now, that He is protecting him."

“We need you to search your properties every day. Morning and night,” he said. “If there’s a shed or a crawl space, or up under your mobile home, or a tarp that’s in your yard, check it every morning and every night. Look for any details that something has been disturbed.”

Residents are asked to search in pairs because a single person could be mistaken for Sebastian. “If we have aerial assets up and they see someone walking alone in a field we’re going to deploy resources to see if that is not Sebastian,” Craddock said.

EMA Director Ken Weidner asked residents to check any creeks, streams or bodies of water that may be on their property and to check for footprints, too. Investigators have reason to believe Sebastian may have traveled as far as Clarksville, so they are also checking that route.

Authorities want the public to search their property and any surrounding waterways, as those with autism are known to favor water.

“Really wanted to come to the community and ask for your help. We need you to search your properties everyday, morning and night. If there’s a shed or a crawl space or up under your mobile home, or a tarp that’s in your yard. Check it every morning, check it every night,” Craddock said.

Hope still remains that the 15-year-old boy will be found alive.

Weidner said Rogers’ strong will might keep him alive, despite wet, cold weather the past few days.

”One thing I’ve learned about autism is the stamina, pain threshold,” Weidner said. “The drive in these men and women, young boys and young girls is greater than ours.”

Understandably, there is interest in hearing from friends and family to help provide more of a personal context about Sebastian. However, we have been requested by the family to let local media know that they are not in a position to speak to or be available to the media at this time. We have told them that while we would relay their message, it would be the decision of the individual media outlets and reporters to proceed as they see fit.

bbm -
Can someone help me understand this? My sleuth mind is taking me down several rabbit holes with this so I just need someone with a clearer head to help me out. I'm local to the area, but haven't heard that there is a gag order....no attorney has come forward to speak for them.....not aware of any court orders prohibiting them from speaking.. Does this simply mean they are too distraught to speak with the media?

It's approximately 50-60 miles between his Mom's home and where his Dad lives. The fact that no cameras picked him up and the dog found very little scent leads me to believe he may have gotten into a vehicle with someone. This thought alone really scares me.

Sebastian Wayne Drake Rogers is at the center of an Amber Alert out of Sumner County.

Police confirmed to WSMV4 that its dive team is assisting in the search for 15-year-old Sebastian Rogers. The request for aid came from the Sumner County Sheriff’s Office.

Why are people speculating about his home? Because LE keeps returning to it, or is there more?
Look, in my opinion, there's only a few reasons for LE being there.

Option 1: They are informing the family that they've found Sebastian dead
Option 2: They are arresting someone in the home.
Option 3: They've found some major clues in the home that point to this being something other than a good situation
Option 4: They are informing the family that they've found Sebastian alive, but in this case, where is the kid, and why aren't they saying that they've found him so people stop looking? Which leads me to believe that this is not the correct option.

I don't have much experience with people with autism. I know a lot of little kids like to elope and are fascinated with water, but does the danger instinct usually kick in by Sebastian's age?
Not always, it depends on the level of support the individual needs and if there is an associated learning disability.
Very sadly in the UK recently a 14 year old autistic boy died after leaving home alone and falling into a river.

Last edited:
IMO they are just continuing to search the area. I am local, and my father-in-law lives just a couple miles away from the house, and he said that LE was at his house today checking his crawl space and yard, around the same time that they were reporting LE had returned to the house.

I don't have much experience with people with autism. I know a lot of little kids like to elope and are fascinated with water, but does the danger instinct usually kick in by Sebastian's age?
It might or it might not. I'm a direct support provider and currently have three kids with different degrees of autism on my caseload. The oldest has zero concept of danger, of any sort, at all, would run right into a pond. The middle is more along the lines of what used to be called Asperger's, and would know not to run into a pond or out into the road but might not be so savvy about not going with strangers. The third one is somewhere in the middle as to their grasp of danger, but is a daredevil and wouldn't be above trying something just to see what would happen. :P It just varies wildly and it's hard to know unless one knows about a specific individual, how developed their sense of danger is.

Why are people speculating about his home? Because LE keeps returning to it, or is there more?
(Opinion) I think some have become apprehensive also because his family has not spoken to ANYONE from the media. His mother and stepfather just recently (today and yesterday) posted publicly but it was very vague.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18